• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Larry Warren on DMR-Dec. 15th

A few offhand observations about the UFO phenomenon since 1947:

-A nebulous but persistent link, whether by design or not, has existed between this nation's defense and intelligence establishments and the UFO phenomenon from the outset.

-Re Col Halt's tape of events at Rendlesham--Imagine you are a career officer, one notch down in rank from the coveted full bird and in possession of a tape recording that might well torpedo your career. Would one not think that Halt should have been more than careful in taking precautions that it never go public? Its appearance in the public domain brings to mind another famous gaff: the Roswell press release.

Who knows how Halt's tape really got out? Countless machinations are plausible. But something does not add up.

Now tighten your tin foil hats: Think back to the small percentage of work on mind and perception control done by our (and no doubt other) governments since the early 1950's of which we know. Over sixty years ago. Consider records on the subject that were undoubtedly hidden and admittedly destroyed ahead of Congressional hearings. Questions about sophisticated techniques to warp and influence perception and memory might almost be seen as the proverbial elephant in the corner. Don't expect to hear public speculation about this anytime soon. 'The topic of saucers from Z Reticuli is mainstream by comparison.

Is there an earlier thread here at the Paracast that develops this subject in detail, and/or other internet sites where I can read more about it? Thanks.

Thanks for the video, Burnt. This is a very rational and sincere sounding Larry Warren indeed.

A few offhand observations about the UFO phenomenon since 1947:

-A nebulous but persistent link, whether by design or not, has existed between this nation's defense and intelligence establishments and the UFO phenomenon from the outset.

-Re Col Halt's tape of events at Rendlesham--Imagine you are a career officer, one notch down in rank from the coveted full bird and in possession of a tape recording that might well torpedo your career. Would one not think that Halt should have been more than careful in taking precautions that it never go public? Its appearance in the public domain brings to mind another famous gaff: the Roswell press release.

Who knows how Halt's tape really got out? Countless machinations are plausible. But something does not add up.

Now tighten your tin foil hats: Think back to the small percentage of work on mind and perception control done by our (and no doubt other) governments since the early 1950's of which we know. Over sixty years ago. Consider records on the subject that were undoubtedly hidden and admittedly destroyed ahead of Congressional hearings. Questions about sophisticated techniques to warp and influence perception and memory might almost be seen as the proverbial elephant in the corner. Don't expect to hear public speculation about this anytime soon. 'The topic of saucers from Z Reticuli is mainstream by comparison.

Laa Tee Da....I'm off to watch the X-files episode "Jose Chung's From Outer Space" yet one more time. It may not be all that fictional after all. :confused:

A brilliant episode-one of my favs, too, Constance. I have spoken with several vets from my gene ratio that have shared their personal experiences in the 60's and 70's involving discovering that they had had 'previous lives' (in this life) involving assassinations and other ops for our govt. that they did not recall. Manufactured memories, the whole 'total recall' bit. Just anecdotal but both of these men had a similar story. This seems so 'scifi', but I do believe we are capable of these things, and it's probably just the small tip of a very big iceberg.

A brilliant episode-one of my favs, too, Constance. I have spoken with several vets from my gene ratio that have shared their personal experiences in the 60's and 70's involving discovering that they had had 'previous lives' (in this life) involving assassinations and other ops for our govt. that they did not recall. Manufactured memories, the whole 'total recall' bit. Just anecdotal but both of these men had a similar story. This seems so 'scifi', but I do believe we are capable of these things, and it's probably just the small tip of a very big iceberg.

You're saying they were programmed while in military service to commit assassinations and remembered having done so under hypnotic regression? I believe that that has gone on and probably still does.

Burnt, thank you for providing these links. I've spent several hours reading part of the list today and will continue tomorrow.
Re: Psyops option.

Did I hear correctly in this episode that Warren said 1) weapons were confiscated at the site or before approaching it and 2) senior personnel disappeared from the environment before the show got fully underway?

Memory messing seems to be well acknowledged by all. There is shiftiness about the circumstances and reality of this event when it comes to senior personnel acknowledging events that night. In some ways this event is like Roswell meets Betty and Barney Hill. It is mired in militaristic dabblings and contactee narrative elements. None of those stories have ever really panned out to have any solid foundations - just a lot of High Strange curiosities & doublespeak.

The visual details as reported, including Halt's tape have nothing to do with a lighthouse, but certainly do proclaim UFO visitation or an exceptional simulation.

Given the great number of cameras and recording equipment present there is also a sense of preparation on behalf of the military. Weapons confiscation points to a controlled experiment.

So, options in my mind are: E.T.visited, E. T. visited with invitation from the PTB, E.T. visited and then a smoke & light show was put on immediately afterwards by the PTB to confuse everyone, a well calculated Psyops experiment unfolded and we are witnessing MKUltra like aftermaths in the witnesses. There are very limited precedents for this case but there are some parallel, historic threads. The more you look at the different features of this case the more the last option seems to be the most likely IMHO, despite all the weird visual reports. All the fragmentation and conflicts amongst witnesses seems to point to another agent, most likely human, that has been able to successfully divide and conquer the witness material rendering Rendlesham truth a sham no matter how you look at it.

Let me know your thoughts on this Constance after you get a fresh look at the whole pile of data on this case. @boomerang : you've read quite a bit on these case and followed it well over the years - what's your current suspicion on this case upon weighing all the evidence? Your recent posts seem to point towards psyops.

Last edited:
Re: Psyops option.
Did I hear correctly in this episode that Warren said 1) weapons were confiscated at the site or before approaching it and 2) senior personnel disappeared from the environment before the show got fully underway?

re: 1, from what I've read previously, the automatic weapons normally carried by security personnel were not 'confiscated' but locked down in the personnel carriers at the periphery before the soldiers were directed into the forest (at Capel Green). I've never read an explanation for that. I have read in several places that US soldiers were not allowed to carry weapons onto British territory (off-base?). Adrian Bustinza has said that he nevertheless carried his own sidearm (pistol?) onto Capel Green, and my impression is that he was in charge of the group he drove to that location.

re: 2, there is a lot of ambiguity concerning which 'higher-ups' were observed at the scene. As I recall Bustinza and Warren both remembered seeing Williams at the scene (even engaging with one of the 'entities' without speaking). My impression is that Halt has always denied that Williams was there. And he has said in interviews that he cannot speak about nuclear weapons at Bentwaters (yet he himself reports that a number of personnel (on the base and in the forest) saw beams focused into the WSA). What Halt can't speak about, won't address, can be understood in terms of his obligation to protect his superiors and the question of the presence of nuclear arms on the US base counter to the agreement with the Brits.

Both Warren and Bustinza describe a sense of time slowing down while they were in the presence of the object that appeared on Capel Green and a fogginess of their thinking in that location. I think these effects could well have been caused by some kind of physical forces generated by the object that appeared in the clearing. Warren experienced the inability to move from the spot where he stood while other soldiers were running off the green into the forest (a common experience of people in close proximity to a landed ufo). I think the object was 'not ours', like many ufos in the 65 years of reporting in our time, and that its effects on Warren, Bustinza, and others would be enough to 'scramble' their thinking during the event. The experience itself was overwhelming. Add to that whatever ideations were implanted in the witnesses during 'debriefing' (and the perhaps long term effects of mind-control drugs and hypnosis) and it is no wonder that memories of this event by those who were there are inconsistent and frustratingly difficult to pin down by these men.

Memory messing seems to be well acknowledged by all. There is shiftiness about the circumstances and reality of this event when it comes to senior personnel acknowledging events that night. In some ways this event is like Roswell meets Betty and Barney Hill. It is mired in militaristic dabblings and contactee narrative elements. None of those stories have ever really panned out to have any solid foundations - just a lot of High Strange curiosities & doublespeak.

I disagree with the general direction of your statements here. There is a common underlying reality disclosed in the reports about this third night (and also concerning the ufos observed by various people over the two bases over several nights) based in what the witnesses have said. The witnesses include the two air traffic controllers at Bentwaters on that third night and what they discussed that night with other radar operators in the vicinity. See Hastings, “Beams of Light” and other articles. There were also witnesses in the security tower at Bentwaters, also interviewed by Hastings. Hastings is such a meticulous, thorough researcher of Bentwaters and all other ufo/nuke sightings and events that I think we need to read all that he has written concerning all of these cases before we form judgments about the ‘reality’ they imply. Both humans and nuclear weapons are affected in distinct ways by the evidently physical intrusion of ufos in these cases.

Two nuclear weapons from the Bentwaters WSA were flown to Kirtland AFB for analysis two weeks after the events at Bentwaters. How do beams of light {and whatever is contained in and carried by those beams} shut down groups of SAC missiles again and again? How were the two nukes sent to Kirtland affected, changed, by the ufo penetrating the WSA? We, the general public, are not told of course. But because we and our fellow human beings have eyes to see and ears to hear (even under extreme duress), we have a train of actual evidence to follow that informs us this is all not a matter of overactive imaginations -- and moreover that what has been demonstrated to affect our local reality can be understood in intentional and practical terms concerning the radically destructive local reality we have constructed. We are not at all forced to conclude that these events and their consequences are meaningless, that it must be that some incomprehensible supernormal entities are just ‘playing with us’ in ways for which we can find no rational explanation.

Given the great number of cameras and recording equipment present there is also a sense of preparation on behalf of the military. Weapons confiscation points to a controlled experiment.

As I pointed out, weapons confiscation on entering British land seems to have been pro forma. From what I’ve read, only two cameras (one motion picture camera, one video camera) were reported at the scene by Warren and Bustinza. The latter also carried in his own ordinary camera according to his own testimony. Even if it were not the case that US soldiers were prohibited from carrying automatic weapons onto British turf, it would make sense that given the circumstances such weapons would present additional risks to the military personnel. As I recall both Warren and Bustinza reported a circle of observers on Capel Green when they got there, some not in uniform. Hastings learned during his investigations that various radars had observed ufos in the days preceding the third night of these events, including one in London. Both the American and British air forces were no doubt aware of these accumulating sightings, and in contact with one other and the MOD and US security agencies for several days. More than likely each organization had sent representatives to Bentwaters by the third night. My impression is that no one knew what to expect, but they all expected to learn something by the third night. Thus the two live cameras, the film from which will never be released to the public, like all the other footage obtained over five decades by gun cameras mounted on Air Force jets scrambled to pursue ufos. Someone asked earlier in the thread why none were scrambled from Bentwaters and Woodbridge or other bases in the UK. I think that there was so much radar evidence of multiple ufos circulating in the region for days that pursuit, let alone challenging of those ufos, was deemed not worth the risk. What effect, after all, could our best equipment have against ufos, based on all the cases in which rather than affecting the ufo, the scrambled jet was itself affected by loss of weapons control, control of the aircraft itself, and communications.

So, options in my mind are: E.T.visited, E. T. visited with invitation from the PTB, E.T. visited and then a smoke & light show was put on immediately afterwards by the PTB to confuse everyone, a well calculated Psyops experiment unfolded and we are witnessing MKUltra like aftermaths in the witnesses. There are very limited precedents for this case but there are some parallel, historic threads. The more you look at the different features of this case the more the last option seems to be the most likely IMHO, despite all the weird visual reports. All the fragmentation and conflicts amongst witnesses seems to point to another agent, most likely human, that has been able to successfully divide and conquer the witness material rendering Rendlesham truth a sham no matter how you look at it.

I think the light show was put on by the ufo(s) and that somehow {how?} immediately presenting the witnesses with a further humanly produced light show would change nothing concerning the witnesses’ shared sense that something extraordinary had happened. The ‘psyops’ theory you’ve presented makes no sense to me. The psyops interventions followed the actual events and no doubt were intended to confuse and control the witnesses. Making sense of the various representations made to those witnesses in drugged states confuses the rest of us now, as they get reported to us by the witnesses years later (in most cases; Warren has always been forthcoming about what he remembered and still remembers). The incoherence of the representations seeded in the minds of the witnesses suggests in itself that the psyops ‘brains’ in charge don’t know quite what to do to discredit the witnesses as well as the entire ufo history searched out and reported by researchers over the last 65 years. But discrediting witnesses and debunking the entire ufo history is no doubt what they intend to accomplish. They’ve just gone about it ineptly in my opinion, perhaps operating out of a mixed bag of changing strategies. Above all, they count on most people lacking the curiosity, attention span, and patience required to pursue witness statements and documentary traces concerning what went on at Bentwaters and all the other ufo/nuke events, or even to read it all.

Last edited:

This is a very key point on which I am hazy. I have read accounts in which the first few security police to approach the UFO in the forest, even though armed with at least their M-16's, panicked and fled. And somewhere lost in this haystack is an early notation of such by Chuck De Caro with his observation that this is behavior very uncharacteristic of highly trained and armed security police in the face of a possible threat to a high value assets.

Does anyone happen to know if part of the incident played out in this fashion? I'm also wondering of what value, assuming weapons were confiscated, unarmed personnel would be in the face of a potential threat? This doesn't quite add up either.

I'm also wondering of what value, assuming weapons were confiscated, unarmed personnel would be in the face of a potential threat? This doesn't quite add up either.

That's a good question. (Though we know that human munitions are ineffective against ufos and ufo occupants.) One reason for having security soldiers there was likely because their role on such bases is to be first-responders to threats. They could be ordered to approach first any thing that appeared on the ground, and so it happened. It seems that only a handful of soldiers followed that order, Warren and Bustinza among them.

My own theory is more than one force was involed and those US Veterans were highly trained and this is tip of iceberg. Hopefully those in charge face the music first and most likely don't give a dam about everyone else.

I think that like all incidents in Ufology, this case suffers greatly from the editing and embellishments of time. Some points are not facts, are open to questioning and may perhaps require much closer scrutiny to try to nail down what exactly happened, what kind of structured actually craft landed, who saw what, and why is there so much conflict over what is supposedly a shared event.

Here's one source that highlights a good collection of Rendlesham material that also has a nice sighting of a similar craft from Cyprus, also small 3m triangular sides and 2m tall with a pyramid in the centre - a good match, but you need to read that bit from the curator of this site: http://www.hyper.net/ufo/rendlesham.html

What i really like about this timeline is that it collects quotes from participants over history and what they've said and posted themselves about this incident online and elsewhere:
Timeline of Events | The Rendlesham Incident

The next timeline is a little different in terms of the data it includes in terms of when people said what and is worth looking at I think, and perhaps disputing if need be:

Late Dec 1980
(Note: The Halt Memo, written 2 weeks later, suggests events started on the 26th, but Halt admitted that it may be flawed. Date discrepancies has been a research issue for some time now.)

Dec 26th (27th by Halt Memo, 26th on Police Reports):
- 3 am - East gate security patrol sees lights descend into forest.
- 3 to 4 am - Officers enter the forest to investigate, suspecting a crash. Sgt. Penniston claims to have sketched, touched, and interacted with the craft; however he does not initially report that there was a craft and the dates on his sketches are out of sync with other accounts (27th). Burroughs on the other hand, claims they’d just encountered the craft, when it took off. Officer Cabansag is also present.
- 4 am - local police are called in, but they can only see the lighthouse.
- Daybreak - indentations and burn marks are visible. Colonel Conrad is said to have lead this investigation.
- 10:30 am - local police are called again, but they believe the indentations to be made by rabbits, and burn marks are logging cuts. (Halt Tape later refers to them as abrasions, accurately enough.)

Dec 27:
- The officer’s dinner is interrupted by men saying the UFO is back, however the identities and first hand accounts of these witnesses are not know. (Alternate accounts suggest this happened on the 26th, regardless, it may be a key spark for further investigation efforts.)
- Witness accounts are taken, and an investigation team is selected and briefed.

Dec 28th (29th by Halt Memo):
- Early Morning - Colonel Charles Halt leads a second investigation to check for radiation, readings are debated. He has with him a tape recorder (Halt Tape), and the recording suggests the radiation levels to be background radiation, or not much higher.
- Animals in the woods (misidentified as farm animals), seem agitated, crying out. (Spooked by aliens, or just humans being there at night?)
- Halt and his men see a yellow/green light flashing. (It is debated if they are able to see the lighthouse at the same time. The light is described as going side to side and winking, much like a lighthouse, and the timing is correct to the lighthouse in question, but the color Halt describes is red, while others call it yellow/green. Perhaps Halt is colorblind. [1])
- It should also be noted that no residents of nearby towns are known to have reported anything.
- This is followed by flashes and circular objects, and possibly light beams over the base.
- Objects may or may not have been on radar.

Jan 13th
- Halt writes his memo, it is not labeled as classified.

1983:
- Airman Larry Warren reports sightings to tabloid, mentioning Colonel Ted Conrad‘s involvement.

1987:
- Great Storm of 1987 wipes out much of the forest, though some of the incident locations were still identifiable.

2008:
- In a interview, Burroughs claims to have heard screaming.
- Halt claims the nearby livestock went crazy (there actually was no livestock, but there were deer and other animals in the forest).

2010:
- September 27 - Halt is one of six to testify that the US covered up Alien threats.
- June - Halt signs an affidavit claiming that US and UK governments have covered up the incident. Some of the facts contradict the Memo and Tape.
- Colonel Conrad makes counterclaims, and insinuates that the story has been further embellished over the years.

[1] - I have not been able to locate any information on when the US started testing airmen for colorblindness, but even if tested, certain diseases can cause colorblindness to develop.

Resources and Further Reading:

Dr David Clark, Folklore and Journalism, New light on Rendlesham,
New Light on Rendlesham |
Last update unknown, prior to 17 January 2014

Ian Ridpath, The Rendlesham Forest UFO Case,
The Rendlesham Forest UFO case - Ian Ridpath
Last updated in August 2013

“Rendlesham Forest” Alien Mysteries (TV series)

“The Rendlesham Files” Paranormal Witness (TV series)

Wikipedia, Rendlesham Forest incident
Rendlesham Forest incident - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Last updated 1 January 2014

From: Problematica Paranormal Files : Rendlesham Forest Incident: Notes and Timeline

Last edited:
@Constance why psyops makes sense to me: the role of fear and paranoia during and following various parts of the narrative, the utter lack of audio during all these amazing light explosions, the lack of other witnesses from the surrounding area, the inconclusivity of radar confirming a real unknown in the sky, the securing of weapons so no one can shoot each other makes for safe experimentation, the immediate conflicts surrounding truth & how it was manipulated, even threatened and ultimately meddled with - including Warren's convoluted report of senior officials leaving the scene and his description of a meeting between a senior official and alien representative.

The confusion around the dates of the event, what took place when, all point towards external manipulations, while proof of the actual event is limited to a lot of very strange, conflicting, abstract witness testimony that has altered over the years. Background radiation & plaster casts provide very little evidence of anything substantial. Discussions around feeling like human movement was in slow motion, surreal light displays, binary code transmissions, the animal noises & movement are all nebulous expressions of memory. Where is the real evidence? Is there really any real radar evidence at all? Halt's tape is the best pece of evidence of anything and it concerns a winking light in the distance among other things.

Peniston and Burroughs had an experience. Warren had an experience. Were these real, constructed, alien...it's quite hard to tell isn't it? I always go with Clark's notion that the landing of an alien craft on this planet would be impossible to keep out of the records of human history, that such incredible things simply can not be covered up. But human experimentation? Well that can be presented as alien visitation and appears to be more likely given the real lack of phenomenal evidence of a phenomenal event.

How is all the conflict amongst witnesses to be reconciled?

Vallée settled on a virtual reality projector field test. Certainly there are a lot of theatrics concerning this case and very little by way of confirming or corroborating actual events. It's sad given that so many of the witnesses are still living, but it seems the consequence of this is their constant bickering about what did and didn't happen.

Last edited:
Information contained in these links is not new. Chuck De Caro, BTW, is considered a highly credible journalist with a distinguished military background.

Not saying this is the complete explanation for Rendlesham. But there must be much we are not being told on the subject of these documentaries.

Last edited:
In the early 2000's I found online what is now considered a pretty infamous document from the Usenet, a letter from an inmate who claimed he was the subject of Reomte Control Electronc Brain Punishment. I used that letter from this poor displaced Canadian suffering brain torture in an American prison facility to make a video art piece about the impact of surveillance systems and consumerist outpost beacons like vending machines where humans are secondary, reduced to ghost like features in the landscape. My video is not important except for its conjoining of the issues of surveillance, consumerism, and remote control manipulation of human senses and thought processes.

David Fratus' letter that pleads for help is what is fascinating. He is outlining torture and brain manipulation at a distance in the late 1980's. I'm glad this letter has survived Internet cataloging.
Remote Control Electronic Brain Punishment By David Fratus

When you look at the Rendelsham incident, specifically the first night, it appears that Penniston, who was closest to the source of the light, who claimed later that he both saw and touch a structured craft, appears to have suffered the most from some kind of brain manipulation. His reports are the wildest over time (Time travelers from the future, binary codes etc.) compared to those further away from the source of the light and experienced fewer "symptoms" and reported less bizarre details from that night. Proximity does seem to be a factor in this case, but proximity to what?

When you look at the Rendelsham incident, specifically the first night, it appears that Penniston, who was closest to the source of the light, who claimed later that he both saw and touch a structured craft, appears to have suffered the most from some kind of brain manipulation. His reports are the wildest over time (Time travelers from the future, binary codes etc.) compared to those further away from the source of the light and experienced fewer "symptoms" and reported less bizarre details from that night. Proximity does seem to be a factor in this case, but proximity to what?

I think you're right about Penniston being the most destabilized witness [that we know about] at Rendelsham. There are references throughout the many interviews over the years to others who were radically shaken, several disappearing, one sent back to the US right away, another committing suicide. Those closest to one of the landed ufos (including Bustinza and even Burroughs) all experienced abnormal physical effects right away -- sense of time slowing down, altered sense of normal proprioception as they moved their bodies. And of course their 'minds were blown' by what they were seeing. Added to that disorientation, all but the higher echelon of witnesses such as Halt and Conrad were subjected to mind-altering drugs and hypnotic suggestion to render them dysfunctional as reliable witnesses. The explanation for that seems obvious to me -- containment of information concerning the events witnessed, which also explains the several weeks that passed before any 'official reporting' [supported by extant documentation] was made to the USAF, MOD, and perhaps other agencies. I don't believe for a minute that Halt, Conrad, and Williams at Bentwaters (and others on the British side) were not reporting by phone to a variety of their superiors during these days at Bentwater, even during the major events, and coordinating their responses {actually nonresponses} in the days following. We'll likely never know the extent of insider communications, alerts, etc. Halt's first memo to MOD, made through Moreland, was a bare minimal sketch of information that could easily be ignored, and I think Halt is still minimizing what he knows about the three or more days of ufo activity over the two bases and in the surrounding forests. We'll learn nothing of substance from the PTB, and the witnesses who wanted to talk were compromised either by the mind manipulations that followed the events or by the general 'don't talk about ufos' rule that inhibited even the air traffic controllers at the twin bases (and beyond), two of whom -- stationed at Bentwaters -- have stated that they would lose not only their jobs but their ability to obtain work in their field of expertise outside the military if they reported what they saw on their radar scopes and even through the windows of their stations. Indeed, under these circumstances it's amazing that we have as much information as we do about the Rendelsham events. But all the information we do have is tainted for one reason or another.

I admire and am grateful for the continuing efforts of researchers to locate and speak with additional witnesses in recent years. For me the sum of what I've been reading persuades me that the ufo sightings and events at Rendelsham were not a pretense, a manipulation, carried out by the PTB to shake up the soldiers there. I can see no rational purpose for such a risk-fraught undertaking on a nuclear-armed NATO base during the Cold War. Now, thirty years later, I believe we'll never learn all that the insiders know about these events and others. But the case takes its place among all the other 'ufo intrusions' researched in detail by Robert Hastings and described in detail by his growing list of military witnesses of those events (up to 130 individuals by now). In time it's likely that that list and its testimony will increase and, I hope, include new witnesses from Rendelsham that we have not heard from yet.

Last edited:
Also like Larry and other personnel stationed at Bentwaters let's not forget the other surrounding US/Joint U.K RAF near by and look carefully you will see which units came in after Bentwaters. For example
RAF Alconbury - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Larry would understand the attitudes towards folks stationed in the baess at the time and the real threat towards the families. The Soviet networks were very skillful and highly dangerous. Similar were the Iranian networks.

Back