• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

July 25, 2010 - Rich Dolan

P

Paul Kimball

July 25, 1010 - Rich Dolan

My friend Rich Dolan, author of UFOs and the National Security State, Vols. 1 and 2, is the guest this Sunday evening on The Paracast, with Gene Steinberg, Nick Redfern and yours truly hosting. We recorded the interview last night, and had a wide-ranging conversation covering UFOs, artificial intelligence, politics, history, the national security state, and a little bit of baseball, as I recall (Rich being a Yankees fan, me being a member of Red Sox Nation). We also delved into the "questions for Rich" thread here at the forums, and pulled out two from Ron Collins.

The episode airs on GCN from 7 pm to 10 pm EST, and can be listened to or downloaded afterwards at The Paracast.

This will be the second-to-last episode of the Paracast that I co-host. I was just a temporary part of the Paracast picture, helping Gene out after his previous co-host abruptly quit on him, and now that Gene has found his way to radio and has some other great co-hosts, I'm stepping away and focusing on other things, mission accomplished. From now on I'll just be a listener to the show, which is the best of its kind out there, and a possible future guest, if and when I have something new to discuss.

UFOs and the National Security State, Vol. II is a book that I think is well worth reading for a lot of reasons. You can read my review here.

Paul Kimball

P.S. Prior to listening to this episode, I recommend folks take at least a cursory glance at the following resources:

1. Guy Debord, The Society of the Spectacle

2. Wikipedia, The Roman Republic

3. Chris Hedges on "The Hour" discussing the rise of modern American fascism:

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=480 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/p-fbcy1tRoA&hl=en_US&fs=1 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

4. The Washington Post, Top Secret America [19 July, 2010]

5. Ray Kurzweil, speaking at the Singularity Summit of Stanford:

<EMBED style="WIDTH: 400px; HEIGHT: 326px" id=VideoPlayback type=application/x-shockwave-flash src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6140406219828000794&hl=en&fs=true allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"> </EMBED>

6. Michio Kaku, "The Physics of the Impossible" lecture at the RSA in London, England - 28 May 2009:

<EMBED height=385 type=application/x-shockwave-flash width=640 src=http://www.youtube.com/v/RU_A42rOgeA&hl=en_US&fs=1 allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></EMBED>

7. Wikipedia, Gary Webb

Many thanks for your guest hosting Paul, always enjoy your perspective regardless of whether or not I agree, you have a terrific way about you that helps keep minds open but stilll rigourous.

Please consider another UFO related film, yours is one of the ones I would show someone new to the topic.

Hear you soon.

Darryl

Many thanks for your guest hosting Paul, always enjoy your perspective regardless of whether or not I agree, you have a terrific way about you that helps keep minds open but stilll rigourous.

Please consider another UFO related film, yours is one of the ones I would show someone new to the topic.

Hear you soon.

Darryl

Thanks Darryl. While I would never say never, however, I don't see any more UFO-related films in the cards for me. I just don't find it all that interesting, largely because there hasn't really been anything new happening of true importance for many years, but also because the subject these days is dominated by extremists - believers, and disbelievers - and neither side is really interested in an open-minded and honest inquiry into the nature of the UFO phenomenon. I prefer private discourse with friends I respect to any public conversation, whether through film, or radio, or whatever.

Besides, there's a lot of topics I find more interesting and consider more important that I hope to cover in the years to come! A travel show is definitely a priority!! :D

Paracast homework! Nice. That's a great practice that will enhance the experience, I'm sure. Looking forward to the next episode.

It's stuff that we specifically talk about, and folks might not be familiar with it, so I figured I would just give people a head's up. :D

I enjoy some of the paranormal episodes, but I'm a UFO nut at heart. For that reason, it's good news that Dolan is coming up on the Paracast. Yeah he's had a lot of flack recently and some folk question his credibility. Despite all that, it should be a good interview. I'm looking forward to it.

This is welcome news- Dolan is one of my favorite guests! I'm going to start volume 2 as soon as I make it through the monster that is volume 1.

And Paul, I think you did a really good job as a co-host. Sorry to hear it's ending, and I hope to hear you again as a guest on the Paracast or elsewhere.

I've always had issues with Mr. Dolan's conclusions and his paths at arriving at them. But he is an intelligent guy and is always entertaining. I really look forward to listening it. I hate to see you go Paul. I really think you bring a lot of honest perspective to this subject matter. I also admire your ability to let it go and step away. For reasons only a therapist could speculate on I don't seem to have the ability.

BTW: Please tell me the last episode you cohost is with Shostak or Shermer as the guest????

I've always had issues with Mr. Dolan's conclusions and his paths at arriving at them. But he is an intelligent guy and is always entertaining. I really look forward to listening it. I hate to see you go Paul. I really think you bring a lot of honest perspective to this subject matter. I also admire your ability to let it go and step away. For reasons only a therapist could speculate on I don't seem to have the ability.

BTW: Please tell me the last episode you cohost is with Shostak or Shermer as the guest????

No, it will be with historian Brian Haughton (http://brian-haughton.com/).

I've always had issues with Mr. Dolan's conclusions and his paths at arriving at them. But he is an intelligent guy and is always entertaining.

He's also able to engage in polite, reasonable debate when people question him or disagree with his conclusions, a trait I really respect. And yeah, he's just plain fun to listen to.

We'll be meeting Rich again in Leeds in a couple of weeks so prior to that it will be great to listen to an extended interview with Paul. I've met Rich a few times and know him fairly well, and concur with Ron and Will. He's among the best possible dinner-table company.

We'll be meeting Rich again in Leeds in a couple of weeks so prior to that it will be great to listen to an extended interview with Paul. I've met Rich a few times and know him fairly well, and concur with Ron and Will. He's among the best possible dinner-table company.

He is indeed, particularly when the conversation turns to baseball, which is a shared passion of ours! :D

He is indeed, particularly when the conversation turns to baseball, which is a shared passion of ours! :D

One of the best things about Dolan is his choice of baseball teams. I'm also a big yankees fan. :)

Sorry to hear that you have fallen under the devils curse and adorned the big red "B" Paul. Has the affliction ben with you long or is there still a chance you can be cured? :D

One of the best things about Dolan is his choice of baseball teams. I'm also a big yankees fan. :)

Sorry to hear that you have fallen under the devils curse and adorned the big red "B" Paul. Has the affliction ben with you long or is there still a chance you can be cured? :D

Grew up watching the Sox on WLBZ out of Bangor - Yaz and Dewey were my heroes. My younger brother, alas, is a fan of the evil Yankees.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

I should also add that of all the shows I've co-hosted, this was the one I enjoyed the most... and I hardly mentioned UFOs at all.

Perhaps that's why.

Grew up watching the Sox on WLBZ out of Bangor - Yaz and Dewey were my heroes. My younger brother, alas, is a fan of the evil Yankees.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

I should also add that of all the shows I've co-hosted, this was the one I enjoyed the most... and I hardly mentioned UFOs at all.

Perhaps that's why.

Oh oh, some people here may not like that at all, but I'm looking forward to it more so because of it. You'll be missed as a co-host Paul.

Oh oh, some people here may not like that at all, but I'm looking forward to it more so because of it. You'll be missed as a co-host Paul.

Thanks, Angelo - anytime I can discuss the rise of modern American fascism with a fellow historian, and reference a Marxist analysis of modern society, is a good day! :D

Thanks, Angelo - anytime I can discuss the rise of modern American fascism with a fellow historian, and reference a Marxist analysis of modern society, is a good day! :D

Just don't 4get to drop in from time to time. Go Braves! (Can't help it I'm from the southeast)

Just don't 4get to drop in from time to time. Go Braves! (Can't help it I'm from the southeast)

I'll be around... and I've always liked the Braves, because I'm a former pitcher, so I've always respected a team (and in this case, a manager, Bobby Cox), that builds around a great pitching staff. Maddux, Glavine, Smoltz. Among the best of all time!

Back