• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

July 24th Episode

status4

I love hydrocarbons!
Just one thing bugging me about what Don said, the Apollo 11 astronauts had .45 calibre pistols? Take a look at the gloves from an Apollo 11 space suit, there is no way in heck they would have the dexterity to use a pistol, the fingers wouldn't even fit inside the trigger guard. One of the biggest problems thay face even now is allowing astronauts to conduct work involving delicate hand movements, even just installing a bolt with a wrench can be a long, and painfully tedious experience in a spacesuit. I just don't see it, that there would be any expectation that they would be able to use such a weapon while conducting any kind of E.V.A. seems kind of nonsensical to me.

If I understand it correctly, the pistols were part of the survival gear should they come down somewhere other than planned on after reentry into the Earth's atmosphere. As status4 points out, they would be useless to an astronaut in a space suit, not to mention the absence of oxygen preventing it from actually firing on the surface of the moon anyway. So, I doubt they were meant to be used anywhere but on Earth.

If I understand it correctly, the pistols were part of the survival gear should they come down somewhere other than planned on after reentry into the Earth's atmosphere. As status4 points out, they would be useless to an astronaut in a space suit, not to mention the absence of oxygen preventing it from actually firing on the surface of the moon anyway. So, I doubt they were meant to be used anywhere but on Earth.

Correct but hell those brave US men did not known what they might encounter from the Soviet Union in space or down on Earth ? Furthermore, did they know everything about the Moon at that time?

Correct but hell those brave US men did not known what they might encounter from the Soviet Union in space or down on Earth ? Furthermore, did they know everything about the Moon at that time?

I'm thinking they were more for animals than anything.

I think they knew that a unmodified firearm probably would not be very reliable or even desirable to be fired inside the spacecrafts or on the surface of the moon.

I can't wait for the Lunar Anomaly show. It's a very fascinating subject.

They didn't just bring guns, they also brought mortars:

[h=4]This detail from AS16-113-18378 shows the Apollo 16 mortar package mounted on its base.
The ribbon cable running off to the left connects the experiment to the Central Station.
The mast sticking upwards has a red-warning flag at the top
so that the crew could stay well clear when driving the Rover.[/h]

*And the guns would be just as deadly on the moon, if not more so. Guns in combat get extremely hot and still function, hotter than the sun could get them on the moon. So long as it was kept out of the sun and not touching anything metallic out in the sun, the ammo would have been fine for a while. But as Don said, lunar combat wasn't what the guns were for.

Edit:

They also brought Drugs - Uppers and downers for their spaceship ride:

They had all kinds of drugs. Only a square goes to the moon sober.:cool:

Sometimes there was a mix-up, an 'oh no' or two. Times were different. It was the 70s maaaan.:

Actually Observer the pistols would have fired on the Moon. The ammo works by a chemical reaction. The pistol hammer strikes the firing pin, the pin impacts the "primer" on the cartridge which causes it to explode. The gun powder then ignites, a chemical action takes place forming gas which then pushes the projectile out the barrel. Boom! A gunshot happens and no O2 is needed.

Decker

Actually Observer the pistols would have fired on the Moon. The ammo works by a chemical reaction. The pistol hammer strikes the firing pin, the pin impacts the "primer" on the cartridge which causes it to explode. The gun powder then ignites, a chemical action takes place forming gas which then pushes the projectile out the barrel. Boom! A gunshot happens and no O2 is needed.

Decker

Yes, my bad. You are correct. The oxygen is bound up chemically in the propellant in the cartridge. Imagine the kick a 45 would have on the surface of the moon!

Great show, the Lunar Anomaly sequel cant come fast enough for me.
Although i did have a sudden urge to listen to jethro tull at the 2 and a half hour mark.

just listening to the last part of the show, this guy you mentioned Don who was working with the younger guy who stated they had found a base on the dark side of the moon, was that Karl Wolf ?

thought so mate, i remember watching hes interview on the 4hr disclosure project video i have with Mr Greer :eek:. what a life changing bombshell it must have being for him and as you said in the show hes "i couldn't wait for the announcement to come on tv" made me laugh lol. and were still waiting for it. im looking forward to you getting back on the show for a more in-depth look at the lunar mysteries since i don't really know much on it so i hope Gene and Chris get you back ASAP .:) PS ! when are you likely to have some new shows back on DMC, i know you have had issues with equipment etc. think ive listened to all your archive since then.::)

just listening to the last part of the show, this guy you mentioned Don who was working with the younger guy who stated they had found a base on the dark side of the moon, was that Karl Wolf ?

Um ... I hate to break it to you guys, but I don't think there is a, "side of the moon" that is always "dark" ... like where you could setup a base on the surface that would always be in a "dark" region ... There is no "dark side of the moon".

j.r.

Um ... I hate to break it to you guys, but I don't think there is a, "side of the moon" that is always "dark" ... like where you could setup a base on the surface that would always be in a "dark" region ... There is no "dark side of the moon".

j.r.

Ah, what say we not get too "nit-picky." "The Dark Side of the Moon" is simply a figure of speech. It is the side of the Moon that we do not see.

Sheesh!

Decker

Yes great listen, indeed. Pretty sure i heard to the interview he was referring to a while ago, but will have to re-visit. Just bring Don back next week and let him recount more of his best interviews so we can all circle back to them after the show...

Just one thing bugging me about what Don said, the Apollo 11 astronauts had .45 calibre pistols? Take a look at the gloves from an Apollo 11 space suit, there is no way in heck they would have the dexterity to use a pistol, the fingers wouldn't even fit inside the trigger guard. One of the biggest problems thay face even now is allowing astronauts to conduct work involving delicate hand movements, even just installing a bolt with a wrench can be a long, and painfully tedious experience in a spacesuit. I just don't see it, that there would be any expectation that they would be able to use such a weapon while conducting any kind of E.V.A. seems kind of nonsensical to me.

I had heard that before this particular show, not sure where I heard it though.

Doing a quick search for some links for ya...

https://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/spaceguns/

C
ool thread on ATS about astronauts/cosmonauts and weapons.

j.r.
There are, however, crater interiors on the Moon and Mercury that never see sunlight.

I also cannot get enough of moon anomalies , so the sooner Don comes back again for the sequel , as a guest on the Paracast , the better. Would also be great to get Vito Sacarri ( spelling? ) on the show to re-tell his story to a whole new audience. That is easily one of Don's best ever and most riveting interviews I think with anyone.
Vito was the guy who was shown hi-rez still photos of the surface of the moon, at a secret 'library' facility. Those photos clearly showed artificial structures and damning evidence of activity by 'someone'.

Wonderful show ! Heck, I'd be happy hearing Don on the Paracast every other week! The man has some amazing stories and a wealth of knowledge.

Back