• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

It's time to move on

Flatwoods

Paranormal Maven
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think the show has gotten stale lately. It seems to be covering the same ground over and over again, and I find myself voluntarily skipping every other episode because there doesn't seem to be anything new anymore. Accordingly, I've made a list of Paracast topics that, in my opinion, have been thoroughly covered and should not be mentioned again: - Kenneth Arnold -Ray Palmer -The Shaver Mystery -Disclosure -Robert Bigelow -The Day the Earth Stood Still -Peru -Foo Fighters -Donald Kehoe -Space Brothers -Paul Bennowitz -Betty and Barney Hill -Men in Black -Gordon Cooper -Maury Island -Bentwaters, Rendelsham, or whatever it's called now -Skulls of either the crystal or Starchild variety -Ronald Reagan -Nibiru -Anything that happened in the states of New Mexico or North Dakota -George Adamski -Anything that supposedly happened in the years 1947, 1952, or 1964 -Shapeshifters -Skinwalkers -Vampires. I am sick and tired of vampires. -Hadals (yes I know that's not The Paracast but don't get me started) -Anyone with a last name of Greer, Strieber, or Romanek -The North Pole -The goddamned Nephilim -Stanton Friedman, unless he has something new to report. Again, this is only a suggestion.

That being said, I think it's only fair that I suggest some topics of my own. No need to dwell on the negative. Here are some topics that I think deserve more attention from The Paracast: -Russion UFOs - Black Eyed Kids - Ray Fowler - Strange disappearances- Premonitions - Cannibals - The Dyatlov Pass mystery - Carlos Castaneda- Medical mysteries -The Westall UFO encounter -Mass Hysteria -Cosmonauts -Teleportation - Nick Redfern (welcome anytime, IMHO)

Well, yes and no. If it's just regurgitating well-known facts and theories, I can understand that one gets bored wit it. But if there are little known or forgotten facts on old cases, or even new takes and facts, I'm all for revisiting them. For my own part, I really liked the recent shows about "old" stuff like the Bennewitz case, Maury Island etc. There were always things I hadn't heard of before. But I have to admit that I'm relatively new to these subjects. Personally, I would like to see more non-ufo subjects like reincarnation, medium and nde research, parapsychology etc. I wouldn't be that enthusiastic about topics that I personally see as urban myths (like the Shaver "mystery" but also the Black Eyed Kids) but if someone has to offer a new, science-based view on that (instead of just adding his own wild theories), why not. I'm not sure about cannibals, though...;-)

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think the show has gotten stale lately. It seems to be covering the same ground over and over again, and I find myself voluntarily skipping every other episode because there doesn't seem to be anything new anymore. Accordingly, I've made a list of Paracast topics that, in my opinion, have been thoroughly covered and should not be mentioned again: - Kenneth Arnold -Ray Palmer -The Shaver Mystery -Disclosure -Robert Bigelow -The Day the Earth Stood Still -Peru -Foo Fighters -Donald Kehoe -Space Brothers -Paul Bennowitz -Betty and Barney Hill -Men in Black -Gordon Cooper -Maury Island -Bentwaters, Rendelsham, or whatever it's called now -Skulls of either the crystal or Starchild variety -Ronald Reagan -Nibiru -Anything that happened in the states of New Mexico or North Dakota -George Adamski -Anything that supposedly happened in the years 1947, 1952, or 1964 -Shapeshifters -Skinwalkers -Vampires. I am sick and tired of vampires. -Hadals (yes I know that's not The Paracast but don't get me started) -Anyone with a last name of Greer, Strieber, or Romanek -The North Pole -The goddamned Nephilim -Stanton Friedman, unless he has something new to report. Again, this is only a suggestion.

Since you did raise the issue: We haven't had Greer on since 2006, and he's only been mentioned in passing since then. Peru? We haven't had a show about South American UFOs either or a while. Friedman last appeared on the show since September of last year, and it's been quite a while since Shaver has been mentioned except briefly.

I agree that some subjects are tired, which is why a number of our recent shows have had guests and subjects you haven't heard about much at all. Or have delivered information you just haven't heard before on known topics.

Here's another idea - I wonder if it would be possible to get one of the former hosts or producers of the 1980's TV show That's Incredible! on to discuss the paranormal topics covered during its run. Might be fun show. Think about it.

Here's another idea - I wonder if it would be possible to get one of the former hosts or producers of the 1980's TV show That's Incredible! on to discuss the paranormal topics covered during its run. Might be fun show. Think about it.

Depends on whether they are seriously interested in the subject, or they just did it as a gig. The hosts don't impress me as the former, but I'll consider it, OK?

Depends on whether they are seriously interested in the subject, or they just did it as a gig. The hosts don't impress me as the former, but I'll consider it, OK?

Gene don't change a thing.. the show is going well as far as I can see and I still enjoy it.. I will also add that it is good to cover old topics for it can shake lose an idea or bit of information that may not have been looked at.

We, as listeners of the show cannot rely just on Gene and Chris or Tim Beckley to suggest guests and topics for discussions - if you want something new on the Paracast then I think I can safely speak for Gene and Chris that they are most welcoming of any and all suggestions for the show. I've had a few myself and have always had a response as to whether my idea is thought worthwhile or not. No harm in trying, especially if it means new info on coming shows, or a completely novel subject that Paracast has yet to cover. Come on folks, get your ideas in to the hosts and maybe out of all the suggestions there might be some real nuggets of gold!

im a bit torn on this , i still find some of those topics interresting but its just that some aspects of the various cases has been talked to death. My tip would be to focus more on a topic for a show than a guest. If not it can often turn out to be the guest's show. I would have no problem with just gene and chris ( and obviously ecker ) finding a topic , do some research and talk about it on the show among themselves without a guest pushing his book on an overdiscussed topic that he wont go into details about ( that is more a problem on C2C tho ). Also if you want guests on why not try to go out on a limb once in a while, get some unknown guy/woman that might have something new thought and or information.

ps heres a list of some of the sightings in the last 100 or so years List of UFO sightings - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just to show that there are many more cases and lots to talk about :)

I've been listening since 2008 and went back right to 2006 to catch up on previous shows - that is over 6 years of content and over 300 shows (see the itunes limits thread elsewhere). To be honest I'm amazed that the show remains as fresh as it does and that the guys manage to put out new content every week.

Yes there is inevitably some repetition but to a large extent that is a reflection of the UFO field itself. I think Chris brings an interesting element to the show as a real investigator, and the many contacts he has made over the years at conferences etc (some guests being a little more grounded than others - but it is still interesting to hear from the loony fringe sometimes to remind us of the calibre of some of the others). I also enjoy Gene's anecdotes in his growing position as an elder statesman of the subject and his many friends are value for money - Curt Southerly's recent Maury island episode was particularly interesting despite the topic being covered before.

There are a few subjects and guests I would prefer to see dissemble into a different dimension - Tim Beckley, R(abouttimewemoved on from it)OSWELL amongst others. However there are others I would love to see back - Ray Stanford, Ted Phillips, Vallee being some while i love to hear about real ongoing research (including Chris' camera project).

Gene - given your extensive background and contacts from the 50s to the present have you ever thought about doing a book on your involvement "my life and UFOs" etc? I'd also love to hear you being interviewed.

I quite like episodes on non core UFO topics such as Barry Taff (get him back) & Rosemary Ellen Guiley ( one on Portal areas please).

I've just started readin Allan Hendry's UFO Handbook and it is remarkably relevant for it's age (which also shows how little the subject has moved on) - if he is still around he would make a good guest. In fact it might make a few good episodes to focus on investgatory methods and get Stanford on, run through the Mufon investigators guide etc? As some one who is thinking of increasing my involvement in the subject such practical info would be welcome.

Lastly guys - keep up the good work

"Please don't take this the wrong way..."

What's "the wrong way?"

Your post is pretty damned rude. It's not your show, ass. If you don't like it, don't listen.

Also, what's "Russion?"

"Please don't take this the wrong way..."

What's "the wrong way?"

Your post is pretty damned rude. It's not your show, ass. If you don't like it, don't listen.

Also, what's "Russion?"

My post wasn't rude, it was only my opinion of the show. If you don't want to read other people's opinions of the show, THEN DON'T PARTICIPATE IN A DISCUSSION FORUM DESIGNED FOR OPINIONS ABOUT THE SHOW!!

Goddamn. If I'm an ass, you're a giant POS.

Flatwoods makes some understandable points. Things in this field, in my opinion, can tend to get stale. Unless, of course, one is of the "doe eyed" believer clan.

If I were to make any suggestions about the show, I would agree with the idea to make a few shows that highlight or "showcase" (if you will) particular incidents. Whether a round-table discussion or even better several segments with varied researchers about their research of a single incident. It might be interesting to see how their findings and investigations differ.

I am a loyal Paracast fan since 2007, and while there are things I do really like about the current incarnation of the show (in particular, Gene and Chris have grown to really work well together), I do find myself agreeing somewhat with the original post. Recent shows have been a bit hit-or-miss for me.

There's nothing wrong with shedding new light on old topics or having repeat guests, in fact, I think its one of the Paracast's strengths. I think, though, when it comes to variety of subject matter and guests, the show might benefit from diversifying a bit, trying a few new areas. I suspect you guys have the legacy and clout at this point to take things in a few surprising directions.

It just kind of feels like things have gotten into a bit of a "comfort zone". That's not BAD, but I'd be real interested to see the show break out of it a bit more.

If you want something new on the Paracast then I think I can safely speak for Gene and Chris that they are most welcoming of any and all suggestions for the show. . .

Well in that case. . .

I do have a few suggestions for topics/guests:

EVP / Tom and Lisa Butler -- This husband and wife team were the technical consultants for the movie White Noise (which they will tell you is pretty much entirely fiction in regard to the portrayal of EVP). They are currently in charge of the Association of Trans-Communication (which used to be called the AA-EVP). It is the premiere EVP organization in North America. I have exchanged e-mails with Tom and did an interview with him a few years ago that was published in an e-zine. He is reasonable, intelligent and he and his wife are about the closest you're going to get to "authorities" on the subject of EVPs.

NDEs / PMH Atwater -- Author of "The Big Book of Near-Death Experiences" and several other titles on the subject. I have exchanged a few e-mails with her; she is easy to get a hold of I can't see any reason why she wouldn't want to be a guest on the show. She has been involved in research on the subject since 1978 and almost universally respected in the field for her contributions. She's a little new agey, but a good researcher who can point to some kind of evidence for just about anything she says.

NDEs / Pim van Lommel -- Cardiologist from the Netherlands and author of the recently published "Consciousness Beyond Life." It's an excellent book on NDEs from a true medical authority.

Spiritualism / Deborah Blum -- A science writer whose work has appeared in The New York Times, Los Angeles Times and Wall Street Journal. She has also appeared in NPR. She is the author of "Ghost Hunters: William James and the Search for Scientific Proof of Life After Death." It's an excellent book that has nothing to do with the modern "ghost hunting" trend, but rather that profiles several scientists and philosophers who were members of he Society for Psychical Research and active in the early spiritualism movement. This could be a GREAT historical discussion.

Reincarnation / Jim Tucker -- Child psychiatrist at the University of Virginia and author of "Life Before Life: Children's Memories of Previous Lives." He is carrying on the reincarnation research of the late Ian Stevenson. Very interesting stuff.

Show stale? .... not by a long shot.... I still enjoy each and every one and go back and listen to older shows again.

I guess it is a matter of perspective but, The Paracast has to be the best show around right now.

If you are looking for something else to listen to as well then tune into DMR or the Gralien report.

Anyway peace and out and Gene do not change a thing the show is sounding great.

I wouldn't call the show "stale," but I do think it should take greater steps to be The Paracast instead of The UFOcast.

Back