• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

It's time to move on

I'm sure I can speak for Gene and say, go for it! We could use all the help we can get when it comes to bringing new, relevant guests to the show...

Chris, I love your avatar. Back in the 70s I used to blast "The Court of the Crimson King"on our old stereo full blast. Preposterously cool song. It blew me away when they used it in Children of Men.

fun fact: I recall watching a news item way back probably in the late 70s, early 80s on marketing in the music industry, and the reporter showed this album cover as an example of how bands use dramatic and eye-catching artwork to grab customers' attention as they scan the albums in music stores. He said something along the lines of, "Do you see how this face seems to be screaming out as if to be saying, 'Buy me! Buy me!'"

Frankly, I thought the notion was laughable. I doubt very much the band's intention was to use that face was to get more people to buy their album. They probably just thought it looked cool (which it does.)

I've been involved with ufology for over 40 years and it never gets stale for me. Here's an example. A couple of years ago I decided to put The Report On Unidentified Flying Objects onto our website. Those of us who are into ufology know that this book was among the first really good exposés on the topic and many of us have probably read it more than once. However it was written back in the 1950s and I had long since moved on to read many newer books, many of which often repeated much of what had come before, so I was thinking that adapting the book to our website was going to be fairly tedious. I discovered completely the reverse. Because I had to go through the book paragraph by paragraph, I started to read deeper between the lines and suddenly saw some of the content in new and exciting ways. But in today's world we've come to expect rapid change and instant gratification. If it can't be downloaded and flashed in front of someone's face or played on someone's iPod it doesn't get any attention. And even then it seems that few people are taking the time to reflect on it afterward. So my suggestion for those who want more from the show, is to take some time to delve into some of the details on the topics the guests are talking about. Try doing a little of your own research or investigation. Who knows, you might even end up bringing something new of your own to the table. Ufology is a fascinating field with more branches than anyone can fully explore in an entire lifetime. So far as I'm concerned the show could be exclusively devoted to UFOs and I'd be even happier.

I like the way you think. I had a similar experience a couple of years ago as well. I downloaded and reread "Science in Default: Twenty-Two Years of Inadequate UFO Investigations", written by the gentleman who's photograph I use as an avatar, Dr. James McDonald. This report - written in 1969 - should be mandatory reading for anyone who is interested in UFOs. I'd guess that many of the younger generation aren't even aware of its existence.

The report isn't flashy or dramatic, but it's extremely well-written, well-researched and very intelligent. In other words, it's a genuine UFO study. Jerome Clark calls "one of the most powerful scientific defenses of UFO reality ever mounted".

As far as "staleness" in the UFO field, it does exist, but like anything in this world, you have to do some work to find the real nuggets among the rocks. You can't just sit on your ass and expect great things to constantly fall into your lap. The Internet has done some great things to educate the masses, but no amount of technology can change some people. In fact, many people are simply lost causes, and the advanced technology in their hands does nothing except expose their stupidity to the rest of the world. Case in point:

iAzASPnShhwve.jpg
and

The technology we now have at our disposal is unprecedented in human history (modern human history, anyway). Meanwhile, these older ufologists came up with some amazing work during their careers. Let's not go and insult them by wasting what we've got. If you've got some ideas to throw into the mix, do so. If you're not happy with the work others are doing, start your own work and build your own following. Share your ideas without being rude. Reach into the past and discover the amazing things you might have missed along the way.

Things can get boring from time to time, but at the end of the day, we all want the same thing, to understand just what is going on. We are the inquisitive ones.

I'm sure I can speak for Gene and say, go for it! We could use all the help we can get when it comes to bringing new, relevant guests to the show...

Dude, that's all you had to say. I will see what I can make happen.

If I get someone on board, how can I contact you guys? I'm not seeing a PM link or anything in your profile.

Chris, I love your avatar... "Do you see how this face seems to be screaming out as if to be saying, 'Buy me! Buy me!'" ... I doubt very much the band's intention was to use that face was to get more people to buy their album. They probably just thought it looked cool (which it does.)
Yeah probably true, but my new avatar is a perfect example of another amazing prog-rock band that tried everything to get their first album ("Listen Now") noticed. Released in 1976,"801's" first album is one of my favorite albums from the mid-70s. I remember going to buy the Brian Eno/Phil Manzanara/Bill MacCormick/Simon Philips album at Crazy Eddie's in NYC and I was blown away when I saw the cover. Great band and (IMO) an under appreciated album! ...and a perfect image for a paranormal radio show host's avatar! Here's the title track. Timeless lyric. Surprisingly modern for a song 36 years old... Manzanara and Eno do sound like they thought they were the English Steely-Dan w/ a little Alan Parsons meets GM Flash, but a lot of deep cut gems to be found...

Here is a 801 Live version of "Tomorrow Never Knows" ... Philips is a monster drummer ...

Screw you, Germany and especially GEMA, for having to make me watch these pnly after some internet acrobatics. I'm sure watching and listening to these artists cuts deeply into your budget, for whatever it is you do.
Sorry for the tiny rant, and damn. :)

King Crimson fan here, only one that plays for me actually:

It's ok ;) Someone just thought it would be a bright idea to stop youtube and/or streaming music from happening here, cuts into their sales apparently. Easily circumvented, just a minor inconvenience.

Could play it (!) and that bass! Thanks man. :)

... and that bass! Thanks man. :)
It's actually a Chapman Stick. wiki sez; "The Chapman Stick (the Stick) is an electric musical instrument devised by Emmett Chapman in the early 1970s. A member of the guitar family, the Chapman Stick usually has ten or twelve individually tuned strings and has been used on music recordings to play bass lines, melody lines, chords or textures. Designed as a fully polyphonic chordal instrument, it can also cover several of these musical parts simultaneously." We are talking an incredibly difficult stringed instrument to play which is actually a bass and a guitar. Tony Levin, a mindblowing technician, is one my favorite bass players and he's one of a few masters of the Chapman Stick He's played on every Peter Gabriel album; played on Lennon's Double Fantasy and has played countless other sessions over the yrs, etc. Here is a cool youtube where he explains the instruments capabilities...

Progressive rock has evolved into something I never figured I'd get into, Technical Death Metal, you know the stuff with Cookie Monster Metal vocals ... but these guys seriously rock and it 'aint just cheese and crackers. This stuff is very complex and incredibly precise. Amazingly they're even from Canada ... here's an older video:

Neuraxis - Darkness Prevails

Oh and just for fun: A classic by Cookie Monster

Last edited:
Cynic - How Could I?

Pretty impressive. It's amazing how this stuff never gets onto the awards shows when it's a clear cut above ( in every measurable way artistically ) over most of the pop-music out there. Recently I was also not impressed with Rolling Stone Magazine not including one of my favorite guitar players ( David Lindley ) in the Top 100 of All Time. He's a legend ( and a whole different style of music again ):

Tony Levin is great. I saw him with Peter Gabriel in Montreal. Great show!

Stick Men

(Tony Levin,Pat Mastelotto,Michael Bernier)-SuperCollider-NAMM 2010 Show

Tony Levin is great. I saw him with Peter Gabriel in Montreal. Great show!
I still am a huge PG fan—after all these years. My first exposure to Tony was PG's first solo performance at the Palladium, March 18, 1977 in NYC. In a way, that show changed my life because I decided that night to pick the piano back up and become a musician (of sorts). I'm still tickling the ivories today, 35 yrs later, much to my surprise. For 15 yrs I attended as many PG shows as I could -- all the way through the Secret World tour in '92'-93. Through thick and thin, I saw Tony play w/ Peter in little clubs all the way to Madison Sq Garden on the "So" tour in '87.... One of the VERY best of all time, imo, oh how time flies. Watching his band Stickmen on Youtube, I'm amazed that he hasn't changed in 35 years. He looks the same as he did in 77 (except then he hadn't started shaving his head).... but the Stickmen could use some songwriting help, yikes :)

Back on topic.

I don't think I would go so far as to say the show is "stale." I enjoy it for the most part. However, as a relative newcomer, my only complaint would be the nagging tendency to "talk shop." It seems the conversations always gravitate to what "so and so" had to say on the subject or how this or that person is a turd, or encyclopedic names, places and events referred to, yet never explained. I often find myself at the end of a show about, (insert subject here,) knowing nothing more about the subject than when it started. However, I DO know how the hosts and the guest feel about every other investigator in the field, all their old friends, hamburger joints in the area, and sometimes their personal politics. Can't we stay on point a little better?

Yep, you're new. ;) If you want some real name-calling during "talk shop", check out the early episodes in the archive, those with the former co-host. Nowadays people are civil.

Actually, I like to hear about episode reactions and aftermath development, if something interesting has come up. And I think, Gene and Chris only go into these kind of things if there really is something worthwile to report. So why not. And encyclopedic names? I can't really follow you there. I'm relatively new to these things myself, and in the rare case when something isn't explained, I just google.

Back