• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Is Linear Time Coming to an End?

Christopher O'Brien

Back in the Saddle Aginn
Staff member
[For all you fans of "2012": I'm just the messenger here, and as you should already know, I make every attempt possible to avoid wielding the "B" word (believe) and/or the "P" word (prophesy) , in any conversation and at all costs. (Unless I wanna bet on it, of course lol)
So, need I mention: Caveat emptor space fanz... but I DO find Calleman's extensive research into the "Mayan Calendar" intriguing, and if he's right--the glass better be full, etc--come this Fall.
FWIW: Calleman's view and (for that matter) the whole subject of "Y2012[K]" is probably subcultural delusion--and the world won't end, but I'm OK w/ that. But rest assured, somebody will be writing books about Whytwo12K? in 2013 and we'll all be debating the subject on the Paracast forum----chris ]

Dr. (Carl) Johann Calleman has a different interpretation of 2012 in relation to the Mayan calendar:
What do you know about his interpretation of commencement of the Mayan "Ninth Wave?" (i.e., October 28th, 2011) Skeptical minds DO NOT wanna know, believe me....:)

Did he translate all of those words from some sort of tablet found around the mayan calender, where did all his information come from, how did he study? Anyone have a clue.

I have never heard of the 9th wave theory nor do I think many others are familiar with it. Dr. Calleman makes a lot of sense and none of it seems based on prophecy but a cycle. I also wonder like the previous reply where he obtained this info.

Everyone can feel the Earth is going under great changes along with our economy and world politics and such. No one really knows what is going to happen or when. I know the bible tells us that no one person or Angels or even Jesus Christ will know the date.

You see Chris, I am not afraid of the b and p words and prophecy is nothing that can be nailed down by any scientific stand point but it is very real. I know one lady back in 2006 that predicted the current Japan tragedy. My own ex husband predicted a major Russian earth quake one night prior to it happening.

Mother Mary in Medjugorie apparitions predicts a magnetic pole shift in one of her messages. The Hopi have their own prophetic messages from legends and Edgar Cayce has many predictions too. . . . . but no dates mentioned.

I guess it is just up to us as a people to get prepared energetically, physically through relocation (if we live near a beach like I do to move to higher ground), and spiritually. Time is moving way too fast and we are merging with other dimensions.

i hope it so.. i have the worst time with time... It would be nice if it was one less thing to worry about.

I dont think linear time can come to an end, its a byproduct of mass/gravity

I do however feel its likely that mankind will find a way to step outside of it, and once we do it will change the way we view the universe.

I think some of the new physics experiments at the LHC and similar will open up a new understanding of the nature of reality.

We talk about needing to master space travel because our sun will eventually go nova, but thats just the beginning, if the universe is a cycle of big bang/big crunch's as some think, then we will need to be able to step outside of linear time to survive that.

Once we have Dr who style TARDIS technology, the ability to step outside linear time, the ability to breakfast watching the big bang, and have dinner at the resturant at the end of the universe, we wont have to worry about such things as beginnings and ends, everything in between becomes our playground.
Infinity in its truest sense becomes our domain.

Linear time within this universe is dependent upon change. Time can only end when all change stops. Is this possible? Perhaps, and if it were, we could not be aware of it. Linear time could stop within this universe for billions of years as viewed from outside our universe, not unlike putting a video on pause, and we'd be none the wiser.

Linear time within this universe is dependent upon change. Time can only end when all change stops. Is this possible? Perhaps, and if it were, we could not be aware of it. Linear time could stop within this universe for billions of years as viewed from outside our universe, not unlike putting a video on pause, and we'd be none the wiser.

Change is dependent upon linear time and observation. It's an argument that can go both ways.

I don't think time is linear. I think Time is amorphous and undulating and dependent upon observation. As physicists learn more about the nature of gravity and quantum physics, I believe that this is what we will start to see...that some, if not a majority of the things we now consider "paranormal" are just due to overlaps in time and space.

Change is dependent upon linear time and observation. It's an argument that can go both ways.

I don't think time is linear. I think Time is amorphous and undulating and dependent upon observation. As physicists learn more about the nature of gravity and quantum physics, I believe that this is what we will start to see...that some, if not a majority of the things we now consider "paranormal" are just due to overlaps in time and space.

Xylo,

Interesting way to reflect on the issue. I don't think time is dependent upon our observation from inside the universe, but perhaps it might be dependent on the observation ( monitoring ) by the mechanism ( whatever that is ... if any ) that is responsible for monitoring and regulating time itself. Also, if time isn't linear but undulates, then that implies that the fundamental rate of change is not constant throughout the universe. This is a possibility, and some evidence suggests that time ( the rate of change ) slows down for accellerated matter. so perhaps there could be some highly accelerated star system someplace where time moves slowly compared to ours.

Xylo,

Interesting way to reflect on the issue. I don't think time is dependent upon our observation from inside the universe, but perhaps it might be dependent on the observation ( monitoring ) by the mechanism ( whatever that is ... if any ) that is responsible for monitoring and regulating time itself. Also, if time isn't linear but undulates, then that implies that the fundamental rate of change is not constant throughout the universe. This is a possibility, and some evidence suggests that time ( the rate of change ) slows down for accellerated matter. so perhaps there could be some highly accelerated star system someplace where time moves slowly compared to ours.

There have been theories and experiments that postulated and then established that time is not a constant, but rather it is relative. But what does that tell us about the universe? I don't have an answer, I don't think anyone does at this point in the development of our human understanding. If velocity can have an effect upon time (both observed and real,) then how can it be linear?

I don't have the math background to form any equations to support my ideas, thank goodness that there are those that do. Maybe, just maybe, human nature's desire to quantify and qualify and catalog every thing prohibits us from discovering the true nature of such things?

Not sure it makes any sense to call time linear or not. Truth is that time is a local property, dependent upon the observer. As Einstein showed, time does not pass at an 'absolute' rate, and is not the same for all observers. This is contrary to our everday perception about time being an absolute, but it is not. So, in that sense it is not linear, but you have to ask yourself, linear with repect to what? Normally rates are measured as linear or not with respect to time; it makes no sense to try to measure time with repect to itself.

Back