• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Imbrogno on Weird Or What

wowarning

Paranormal Novice
Oh my Lord. Just got done watching a segment on Weird Or What where Phil is explaining how shadow people are using their advanced technology to focus gravitons into dimensional portals so that they can execute a full scale invasion. How did anyone ever take this guy seriously?

Seems it was filmed before he was outed as a fraud

After San Diego, I returned home to Connecticut to join Phil Imbrogno for a day of filming for Weird or What? The show, already airing in Canada in the History Channel, debuts this fall in the US on Discovery. Shatner is the host, and the show explores different topics in the paranormal. My segment concerns shadow people and an experience I had at one of the mysterious stone chambers in the Hudson Valley, New York.

Rosemary Ellen Guiley | Paranormal Research | Ghosts & Hauntings - Visionary Living

March 2011 ish

Thank you, this explains why the show info said 2011, but SyFy was advertising it as a new episode. I couldn't understand what the deal was. I thought it was awesome that he was explaining how gravity works when Einstein and every theoretical physicist since has been unable to.

Oh my Lord. Just got done watching a segment on Weird Or What where Phil is explaining how shadow people are using their advanced technology to focus gravitons into dimensional portals so that they can execute a full scale invasion. How did anyone ever take this guy seriously?
When you're diving off in the deep end from a 10 meter platform, the water usually looks further away just before a bellyflop... ouch!

fwiw: I came out somewhat OK when I did the WorW show for their Alien Encounters/mutes episode, They utilized me playing in a conservative, objective, scowling mode....;)

Ok it has made me have to do it..................................... EPIC FACE PALM!!!

epicfacepalmfacepalmdemotivationalposter1236742013.jpg

Isn't it normal for these shows to be recorded far in advance?

Imbrogno was seriously integrated into this field. It stands to reason we'll still see him a time, even peripherally. We do justice a disservice by still talking about the guy, I think. The worst that can happen to this nut-bag is for him to fade into obscurity.

My two cents.

J.

What I'd like to know is how anyone can make an honest living at this. It's almost as if the skeptics are right to some extent by presuming that that if you're trying to make a living off ufology, you're probably worth checking into. Sure there are a couple of authors who've managed to get some serious book sales from time to time. And we've got the classic lecturers like Friedman who've made it a career. Pope managed to segue-way from MoD retirement into it. But let's face it. This isn't something you can do as a day job and expect to survive. I've got a website with decent traffic and a whole hand-picked Amazon catalog of UFO, science, and science related stuff that hasn't made me one thin dime. I don't charge a membership fee to join USI, but for some strange reason some people would still sooner pay dues to MUFON than buy something for themselves and support the cause at the same time.

Although it's possible to draw an income by pairing up content with advertising, we have to be careful or we'll end up like TPOM. But TPOM isn't the only offender in that regard. C2C and all the TV series we've had over the last decade have done the same thing to some degree. Even the Paracast has advertising. Apart from taking hand-outs it's about the only legitimate way to get steady funding. That's why I don't knock the Paracast too much for it. In fact, I've purchased advertising here in the past, and I've got some books on order from Chris.

What I'd like to know is how anyone can make an honest living at this. It's almost as if the skeptics are right to some extent by presuming that that if you're trying to make a living off ufology, you're probably worth checking into.

Serious researchers "should" be looked into. They should be held accountable for their words and held to the same standards as scientists. The question becomes, who will hold UFO researchers to that standard? We do, ourselves, I suppose. Not a good way of doing it.

Sent from my NOOK using Tapatalk 2

Serious researchers "should" be looked into. They should be held accountable for their words and held to the same standards as scientists. The question becomes, who will hold UFO researchers to that standard? We do, ourselves, I suppose. Not a good way of doing it.

Well, the scientists mostly police themselves too, and it's not like there haven't been plenty of examples of fraud and misinformation from them. In fact, I would say that if an actual count were done, it would even be higher. There was a paper released not long ago citing hundreds of examples in the medical community alone. I don't think we even have that many serious researchers to begin with. Still, I agree with you in spirit, and that's one of the main reasons that ufology shouldn't be trying to compete with scientists by lobbying for scientific status. Apart from being ill suited to the scientific method because of the wide array of subject matter, by employing independent accredited scientists when it is applicable, any evidence we do get is more likely to be taken seriously.

Apart from being ill suited to the scientific method because of the wide array of subject matter, by employing independent accredited scientists when it is applicable, any evidence we do get is more likely to be taken seriously.

That is part of the problem, isn't it? All these researchers with zero scientific training trying to scientifically prove something to either themselves, someone else, or both? To top it off, with no way of standardizing methodologies or policing practices amongst researchers, people can do whatever they want, however they want without fear of retribution, like losing a grant or a qualification. A very frustrating aspect to be sure.

All good points. But then again, if we look at the flipside, a well informed ufologist has a more in-depth understanding of the field than anyone with a string of degrees, but no ufology background. Credentials in ufology are highly overrated. The average armchair science buff/ufologist who takes the time to apply some critical thinking and do a little research is IMO better equipped to handle the subject. We only really need the eggheads in the white coats when it's time to do the lab work, and it's probably even better if they're somewhat removed from the subject to minimize any perception of bias.

Meanwhile, that leaves the ufologists free to think outside the box unhindered by the politics within the scientific establishment. It's too bad guys like Bigelow don't really get this. He's all hung up on credentials while at the same time wanting outside of the box thinkers. He doesn't get that those two things are pretty much mutually exclusive. You don't get a string of degrees any other way than by spending years and years inside the box moulding yourself to into that shape. There was a sort of half hearted disaster with him and MUFON. And then there was NIDS, which seemed more promising, but not really well focused.

I think we'd both agree that Imbrogno would have been better off if he hadn't thought that credentials were so important. I'm not making excuses here but it also seems to be an illusion perpetuated by the media that people with academic credentials are somehow better equipped to deal with these topics despite the fact that they are not only outside their field of study, but beyond the grasp of anyone in the academic institutions. Having some announcer introduce them as "Dr. So and So" often gives these people a false air of credibility ( IMHO ).

When you're diving off in the deep end from a 10 meter platform, the water usually looks further away just before a bellyflop... ouch!

fwiw: I came out somewhat OK when I did the WorW show for their Alien Encounters/mutes episode, They utilized me playing in a conservative, objective, scowling mode....;)

Gravitas trumps gravitrons!

Chris, I saw you discussing the cattle mutilation phenomenon on that episode of WorW and you were great. It always makes me happy to see a balanced opinion presented on these shows "a la" Philip Coppens or yourself (sad that we have lost Philip). Regarding the debate about vetting the credentials of the ufo research community, I will say that 15 legitimate masters and doctorate degrees wouldn't have helped me take any of the nonsense Imbrogno was spouting even a drop more seriously. I was literally yelling at my TV, which I have also done more than once watching Ancient Aliens.

Back