• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

I'm Gonna Rant .. So Hang On

Decker

Administrator
Staff member
I have felt like the Paracast has been my "home" the last several years so I am gonna do something that I have not done in a while .. rant .. so think of this kinda like my old column in UFO Magazine ... "I Get The Last Word." Oh yeah, and if this ends up "turning you off" then please, feel free to "Move On By." (And, beware .. I am gonna speak very plainly.)

Over the years banging around in the UFO field I have met more than my share of assholes. Of course there are assholes in every field of human endeavor but there is no "standard of excellence" with UFOs. There is no school, college, training academy, nothing. You can just hang up a sign and call yourself a "UFO Investigator", "researcher", "writer", whatever. And it shows!

Watching the aftermath of the Imbrogno scandals has been very informative for me. I have kind of kept an eye on comments and remarks in a number of website areas. You know what I have witnessed? This sad spectacle has degenerated into nothing more edifying than "sandbox squabbles" with some of the more questionable assholes in the field. A number of "podcast hosts" have gone at it with each other as well as anyone caught in the crossfire. Of course not only podcast hosts but a number of others who grossly over-estimate their importance in the UFO field. Now the reason for this post.

Shortly after my wife Vicki and I quit UFO Magazine, me because I was not happy with the direction the mag was taking, I wrote my "20 Years in the UFO Fog" goodbye letter. At the time a number of folks in the field were surprised, and I am sure there were a few that were glad to see me gone. (Perhaps more than a few) As people read my paper there were various places on the web where it was discussed. Now, one of those places was Kevin Randles blogsite, actually Randle was one of the first to announce my departure. And, the comments started. One was a guy, some of you will know who he is, named Alfred Lehmberg. Here is what Lehmberg had to say, verbaitim.

"All respect to Mr. Ecker a man burdened, as many of us are, with earnest sincerity.

The statement presumes a nebulous fault upon the sneer-quoted "researcher" as the major hurdle to a ufological renaissance of funded interest by the scientific mainstream, say.

Also presumed are the, I must protest, "earnestnesses" (real sneer quotes) of corporate bodies , contested governments, criminal departments of law enforcement, dark-side alphabet agencies, and errant religious institutions... to do the right thing if approached rationally, logically, and sensibly about UFOs, for example.

Sirs, the whole of officialdom works against that which shall not submit to the control of same. It abhors that which shall not be measured, counted, predicted, accounted for, or profitably employed. Moreover, Officialdom employs egregious mechanisms to defuse works of best practice to the aforementioned ends... as we know.

It is this which generates the informational void-with-no-attention-span protested, I submit. Officialdom, largely, and not we individuals burdened with the sincerity alluded to, that hinders the investigation, insults aggregate intelligence, and keeps us in the decided and duplicitous dark about fortean things.

It is easier to blame the individual and not them "officiating..."
...but culture and society have a duty to improve and respect the individual, if only because society and culture are improved and respected in turn. They don't hold up their end on that score... and then have the bland if impertinent arrogance to _pronounce_ on that which it helps to deny, decry, or fallaciously obviate.

There's your enemy of reason, I expect."

I will admit that when I first saw this I read it four fracken' times! To this day I don't have a fucking clue what he was saying. I stated that on a radio show I did with Erol Bruce Knapp on his old show out of Canada. Apparently Lehmberg heard what I had to say and then went batshit. He has hated me ever since. Well, not like I cared one way or another because, as I discovered, a lot of people have a hard time trying to figure out what in hell he talks about, usually in his writing on the web. Oh, and in UFO Magazine where he has a column. Oh, and on their magazine blog site. Okay, no problem. Well, okay, maybe one problem.

You see, several years ago my wife got into a short email exchange with him and he made the mistake of telling her "fuck you" during the exchange. I found out when she showed me the email. I was not happy. Not even one fucking little bit.

Now, lets get back to Imbrogno for a second. As Gene Steinberg will tell you, after Lance Moody discovered Imbrogno lied about his academic background, proven thru MIT, and then my discovery that he lied about any military background, and I posted my report here, suddenly the UFO/paranormal field went bonkers. Nancy Birnes, now Editor in Chief at UFO, wrote a blog post on the UFO Mag. site. Now, Nancy had a number of mistakes about who, what, where, why, etc. and Gene pointed those out. It started ... Lehmberg, Lesley Gunter, and several others saw an opportunity to take shots at not only the Paracast, by Chris O'brien and what the fuck, why not, me. Oh yes, some of my fans over there saw fit to drag my name into the mix. Now, Lesley Gunter has hated me since reading my goodbye letter back in early 2007. She felt I dissed UFO Magazine because of my critcism in the direction the magazine took (that I discussed in my paper) when Vicki and I left. I dropped a note to her on the blog asking her in effect, what's your beef with me? Hell, here is what I wrote.

"This entire Imbrogno scandal has had a jarring effect on the UFO community at large. When I saw the comments here at UFO, I was jarred somewhat again considering that a number of people went at Lance Moody for exposing something that, for years, fooled the entire UFO community myself included. What was telling was how many people were more angry at Moody than at Imbrogno.

My part only involved his military claims, which offended me and those men and women that at one time (or now) wore a U.S. military uniform. I found that much more egregious than his academic fraud. You may not. But ... and here is why I ended up posting here ... how did I somehow end up the bad guy according to Leslie Ginter? What is it Leslie? Just what in hell did I do to you? I have witnessed you taking pot shots at me for years and have not responded, but now I am curious. Just for my own interest, why do you seem to "have a hard on for me"? I do not recall ever meeting you or emailing you but you do have a penchant to go on and on.

Don Ecker
"

Now, who do you think responded? Why Alfred Lehmberg, that fatuous gasbag.

"Don't feel you have to be especially nice, Lesley. He takes it for weakness. I'll help you parse it out for him if it comes to it, eh?

Lehmberg
"

My response follows.

"Well Alfredo, I knew you could not keep out of it, you simply do not have it in you. And, I have no desire to even communicate with you but allow me to simply say this.

Do not ever think that I do not know how you spoke to my wife several years ago in an email exchange, nor your profanity to her. And let me say this, I do not suggest Alfredo that you bump into me any time in the next 10 years or so. Just saying ....

Don Ecker

BTW, that was on July 19th, and this windbag has been going batshit again trying to get me to respond to him, thereby creating another squabble in the sandbox. Just today he had this to say ....

Seriously folks... why is it OK for Don Ecker to make serious and reputation damaging misstatements of fact to support threats of physical violence? Is it because Ecker "came for the 'Communists' but you weren't a 'Communist,' so said nothing"? What are you going to when Ecker comes for you? Will there be anyone left to protest? That's how these guys get by, remember. The worst with passionate intensity while the best lose all conviction.

Lehmberg

First, this shows what a total fucking joke any kind "serious" UFO research is, and number 2, do you get the impression I own Lehmberg?

By the way, I never threatened Lehmberg with violence, I simply suggested he never wants to bump into me. I was a cop after all, I know how the system works.

FYI

Decker

Methinks Lehmberg can't explain what he's talking about, which is why his writings are such a total mess.

Regardless, this "shoot the messenger" mentality is what makes certain parts of the UFO field toxic. That's why we stay away from them, as much as they might wish we mention them on the show.

By the way, I never threatened Lehmberg with violence, I simply suggested he never wants to bump into me. I was a cop after all, I know how the system works.

FYI

Decker

Well if thats your story stick to it, i dont believe it myself, but only because if he had said that to my wife, i'd have hunted him down and hospitalised the clown

The man (Lehmberg) seems to be stuck in his drug-infused dreams of the 70ties. Looked at his website, good to know he has his bowels under control. 'Wild, man' .

The field needs mature minded people from all parts of society with genuine academic qualifications and not stolen valor which Ufology has had few bat-shit fakes which is why the Paracast is number one is sorting the wheat from the chaff. This why people need to beware of the fraud virus among some of the ufologist. :(

I rather enjoy listening to real researchers like Don ,Gene, Chris, Stanton, Kevin , Nick, Rosemary, Jim , Greg, Walter and Richard. :)

Also reading Lance blog :)

Regarding insulting someone wife with profanities just shows the immaturity of some of the folks involved in this field.:(

Peace, Love and Freedom of Speech:)

Let's see...

This person has a strange addiction to Don E.

He speaks in nonsensical verbiage to get his point across (whatever that may be)

He goes Batshit when confronted

hmmmmmmm.... I say: ALIEN

Is it because Ecker "came for the 'Communists' but you weren't a 'Communist,' so said nothing"? What are you going to when Ecker comes for you?

Well shit, I don't think I have ever seen a person compared to the Third Reich before.

Sounds weird. Sounds like a flamewar going on -- and I hope you'll forgive me for saying, just for myself although I'm sure there are others the same... I'm not one to take sides in other people's battles, nor to think of one side as "bad" because the other side was first to tell me so. (Sorry -- to do that would make me as prejudiced as the aforementioned Leslie or Lehmberg.)

That having been said, it is kind of difficult from the quoted texts to figure what the argument is (beyond personal attacks, which is pretty rotten I agree.) Again, forgive me. But to the questions: 1. Yes I do get that the "serious" research into UFOs seems marred by politicking 2. (Again sorry) No I don't get the impression that you own Lehmberg.

But I don't see why he would put out paranoid quotes like, "Where are you going to be when Ecker comes for you?" (You aren't going to come for me, are you? lol.) The central impression I get runs something like, "What are these people saying, and why in the world are they saying it?"

But I think it's kind of dumb them being angry at you -- 'Cos if you or someone else wants to leave a publication, forum, whatever, it ought to be entirely your perogative, shouldn't it?

Well if thats your story stick to it, i dont believe it myself, but only because if he had said that to my wife, i'd have hunted him down and hospitalised the clown
Agreed.
I say someone hospitalises the clown.
Oops!
Oh dear!
I'm sorry!
...........................................................................the hell i am!!!:)

Loud and not so clear

after coming across this thread i wanted to see what other insight Alfred Lehmberg had to offer so i googled his name and came across his blog @ http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/and i'm still scratching me head.

When i first came to Los Angeles from some unamed rural northeastern farm country town at the ripe old age of 19 , i came across my very first "street person" and despite the fact he was living on the street he was still a person, and so i did what came natural to me at the time, i spoke to him. that conversation has since been lost to the annuals of time but in having it i had my first brush with what i initially referred to as street logic.

It didn't take long for me to figure out that not having a permanent roof over one's head did not deprive one of an opinion on anything and for their part , these poor souls were more than happy to have a somewhat captive audience and this would encourage them to go on some long-winded stream of consciousness monologue, and taken at face value, they came across as brilliant. the only thing is, that wasn't always the case.

That was before i had heard or understood of such things as schizophrenia-induced rants or such concepts as circuitous reasoning/logic, it SOUNDS like the person knows what they're saying and indeed, maybe they think they do and thus tell themselves if they understand it,so shall we . OR in some cases when one talks or writes in a semi-coherent manner it may be intentionally confusing, to make the listener/reader feel stupid if he/she isn't able to understand such blindingly obvious logic, well then, they're not worthy. Good 'ole smoke and mirrors if you will . For all i know maybe both instances are represented in Alfred's posts

OR maybe it's just that Alfred Lehmberg style of writing is influenced by charles fort's writings. No problem with that except charles fort is interesting. Maybe alfred too, will march

As far as resorting to insults ,maybe he enjoys playing the part of the provocateur, so fools like me, in our curiosity to see what all the fuss is about will go to his website. Given the number of responses to his posts there must not be very many fools like me

Oh and Alfred , you really should ease up on the "air quotes", if overused they may lose their effectiveness not unlike overused antibiotics and overused antipsychotics

I'm thankful to Lance for outing Imbrogno, but I'll be glad when this whole fiasco is finally behind us. It is draining needed resources from the kind of evidence driven research done by good people like Ecker, Steinberg and others.

Don, I had never even heard of Lehmberg before this thread. Sounds like he's half-way to the Half-Way House already!

Now would be good time to see Mr Ingo Swan come out of retirement to talk to Gene, Chris and Don on the Remote Viewing its been a longtime since his last interview on the web !

Loud and not so clear

after coming across this thread i wanted to see what other insight Alfred Lehmberg had to offer so i googled his name and came across his blog @ http://alienviewgroup.blogspot.com/and i'm still scratching me head.

Okay Mulder, apparently those anonymous brave souls over at UFO think you are my "sock puppet". One in particular, "Susan Brown" had this to say. (They have been sneaking over here just to see what has been said about their playground antics.)

"Alfred,

I would think after Ecker's boo-hoo rant that some of his paracast readers would come to "ufomag" - the vague term he used. I suspect he purposely didn't post a link - heaven forbid paracast devotees might read this thread on their own and actually see for themselves his appalling posting behavior [and O'Brien's] which was nothing like what he presented to them.
And why did Ecker dramatically leave ufology and then comeback....who knows how many times? He's threatening to do it again because of the Imbrogno scandal. Sure I've read what he's publically written on paracast about being disappointed in the direction Ufo Magazine was taking and so on (terribly unprofessional behavior on his part). But, something just doesn't jive. Ecker going in and out of the 'field' is like the extended hyper-dramatic exists and encores the late great James Brown would perform on stage. But, Ecker is no James Brown! He's just a viscious fishie in the sea of Ufology that no longer pays him the attention he so craves.
And, I wouldn't be surprised if the brand spanking new poster "spookymulder", in his rant thread, -is an Ecker sock puppet - purposely diverting readers from coming here to read for themselves -the threats and sexual ickiness [towards Lesley]. Instead the heavily invested newbie put up your blog address along with loads of ad hominems. That diversion tactic is just a bit too obvious.
~ Susan"

Where in hell are they coming up with this stuff?
These people are coming across like emotional and hysterical morons. Making this crap outta whole cloth. Lehmberg I somewhat understand, he has been traveling in the Ozone for a long time. These other people? Lost souls apparently looking for meaning in their lonely, devoid of any meaningful content, lives. Actually rather sad I suppose.

And they seem to be pissed that I won't jump into their sandbox and start pissing with them.

Decker

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

After I finished the above post I was doing a surf on the web and came across this quote by Jeff Ritzmann that just seemed so on point with this squabble with some on the UFO blog site.

"I think it's 2 fold - some start these ridiculous lies and flame wars just for attention, which they ultimately think will garner them more listeners. It's essentially bullying sophomoric garbage (and demonstrably so).

The other half is probably due to a point Biedny made long ago (and despite that we don't much like each other anymore, he's still 100% right): these people can't get arrested in any other field, their entire lives are wrapped up in the drama and controversy in effort to have people notice them. The problem is listeners and the interested public don't care about their tirades, and so they end up marginalizing themselves in the end...over and over.

When no one pays them any mind, they simply up the diatribes and personal B.S. until you respond and validate them as worthy of response...and largely these days, I try not to even bother. Ultimately, these people don't add anything to the subject - and that's what I'm here for."

I could not have said it better.

hey don, thankx for alerting me to this, i can honestly say that i would have never known that i had rattled susan's cage (they do seem to like their air quotes over there, yes?) the way i did if you hadn't had added this posting because i had absolutely no intention of visiting that sight again....fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... i wonder if the term *here come the air quotes* "heaven's gate" means anyhting to her. now you did mention something about spanking, did you not susan?

In all serious though, susan don't let the fact that i'm spanking new mean anything, i'm actually a long time lurker, i just don't necessarily think that that i have to point out my views on anybody or anything and therefore never posted, up until now, this whole imbrogno thing pulled me out from the woodpile. your posting implies that just because i have only one or two under my belt that i wouldn't recognize, or have the right to comment on, a fool and his mission . now i have to wonder when my nephew turns18 and acquires the right to vote he should abstain from doing so because he is a spanking new voter

and in closing i'd like to say that if i went over the line on this one paracast mods, i'll retract -sock puppet out

And, I wouldn't be surprised if the brand spanking new poster "spookymulder", in his rant thread, -is an Ecker sock puppet - purposely diverting readers from coming here to read for themselves -the threats and sexual ickiness [towards Lesley].

If there are any "threats and sexual ickiness" over there (Not saying there is, not saying there isn't -- I just don't know) the last thing I would want to do would be to go over there "to read for [my]self." !!

Just clicked on the linkie to the alienview webfright--err, website. I take it back. It's too late for the half-way house. Looks like Lehmberg et al are candidates for the rubber room. :D Sock puppets unite! lol

Well over a week later, my old pal Alfred Lehmberg continues to rant ... on and on. I believe that this man is suffering a type of mental derangement. I mean, good God, what snakes are running loose in his brain? Now he is talking something about me and guns! The fucking guy is deranged. Which caused me to consider something else. Could THEY have been seperated at birth??!!!? Who? follow on ....

Manson01.jpg Charlie Manson

Lehmberg.jpg Alfred Lehmberg

Makes ya think, eh?

Maybe he's just waiting for you to mention him. Maybe we should omit his name here as a matter of course, as we did with another UFO crank years ago (he who shall not be named). :D

for my part...as if i hadn't said enough already...i'm a little annoyed that sue labeled my posting a rant, it's CLEARLY an editorial for pete's sake, but i couldn't find the appropiate editorial room to post it in. i would like to say thank you to sue though as she gave me the perfect idea for my avatar of which i was sort of fretting about. i think its the perfect choice given the subject of this forum and *FULL DISCLOSURE* it bears more than a passing resemblance to me. it may change because as of yet, i have not gotten permission to use it, but in case it's a nay is there anybody out there knowledgeable in fair use laws?

and let it be known sue, that i will honor my sock puppet status with pride

Back