• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

I have found the perfect guest

at the risk of being flamed, could anybody come up with a word other than "retard" to describe people with limited intellectual abilities and diminished capacity?
I have known many folks whom some of you on the forum would classify as "retards, retarded, 'tards" and none of them appreciate that term being used to describe them.
They also are not fond of "special". They just are who they are and want us to recognize that.
Unfortunately, every time a word is put together to classify "them", it soon becomes derogatory.
Maybe the problem is in trying to classify...?
can't an idiot just be an idiot anymore?
:confused:

Nutter? Bing-bong? Straightjacket test-dummy? Low-grade moron? Twit? Nitwit? Dunce? Weenis? numbnuts? No, I think 'tards is fine.

If they don't like it, let them join up, and say so.

Until then, we'll enjoy our first amendment rights, those of us that have them, thanks.

Intelligence or skills is not the only measure of success for a human being.

Sometimes a kind hearted retard can fulfill his life more fully than Mozart.
After all Mozart, was not really at peace with himself when he died.

You could yourself probably chose to live your next life as a genius, but
would that be of benefit to you?

We need both high and low and dark and light to progress, We need Saddams, and Hitlers, and Bushes as well as Buddhas and Christs.
Nothing comes free. You have to go through fire and cold before you shine.

By the way, unlike Kalvin Korff, I'm actually pretty smart.

I too took philosophy and theology in college and know that we need a balance according to what indoctrination everyone's head is filled with. I disagree.

I cannot fathom how it is that some people believe that we actually need examples of evil, and stupidity for smart people to know the difference? That's the WHOLE POINT.

We need less idiocy, and less duplicity. If we could breed out treachery from our politicians, and breed out stupidity from the people who are the electorate, our world would be a better place. I am all for ridding the world of the sheep mentality. Sheep are good for a few things. Shearing, eating, and in some inbred parts of the world, having sex with. I'm no sheep.

I'm simply sick of the rest of humanity acting no better, or smarter than a sheep, because to think for themselves would terrify them.

Also, for AnneMarie,

When people use the term retarded, or 'tard, it's not meant to denigrate people who are mentally handicapped. If we were going to be PC about flaming the people who are being called said name, by virtue of political correctness, they would be absolved of their outright idiocy, or lack of capacity.

I worked for ARC for a year and can tell you that there were plenty of different levels of functionality. I use that term, because in the worst cases that I saw, they were infantile. The highest functioning were better than most of the kids coming out of public schools.

There is a very broad range for the developmentally disabled. Unfortunately, there are times when we can't find words foul enough for those who are in leadership positions, who assert their will upon us, pretending to be better and smarter than the common person, yet have the functionality of a fucking houseplant.

I would like to rid the world of such outright idiocy. Not the kind that can't be helped, but the kind that is deliberate, and malicious.

Well, for starters to annoy you. In a previous life, I was the same asshole I am today, and being a ray of sunshine, and a lightning bolt of truth to your waxing philosophically brings joy to my heart.

Do you honestly think we choose to come here? Of all the planets to go to, I would think that this one would be the LAST planet I would have chosen.

Then again... I do take great pleasure in annoying people, so maybe that's why I'm here.

You and people like you give me purpose. So, I am light to your darkness. I am truth to your fiction. I am reality, to your bullshit.

I feel better now.

You don't annoy me. I'm just trying to be of some help.

Ok, so you don't believe you are in the place you are suppose to be. But look at the fish. Is there a single fish in the sea that feels like it's place is not in water? No because every fish perfectly fits that environment.
And yet, you bring this worldview in which you are a fish in the sea, and yet somehow you don't belong there, but somewhere else.

So, as a kid that discovered a new toy store that goes and tell his friends, I have a need to tell you that there is a way to find guidance in your life, and to make sense of all things good and bad in your life, and the world, and be humbled by the perfection of this universe in which all things have a place and purpose, and every moment is there for a reason.

There is a whole legion of beings out there waiting you to call for help, and they just can't wait to guide you, if you just ask.

And yes, I believe we chose to come here, because it's such a challenge and such a good school to be human.

I mean where else in the universe can you find a demand for such strength and courage, and such a hard existence as here on Earth. But it's also a place where one enters at their own risk, because many get stuck here, and fall into dark places.

Oh goody. One of the new ager types.

Hopefully you'll be fortunate to have an NDE. That will hopefully clear up this nonsense you believe in. I know it did for me.

No, you'll just try to "Help" me.

I've had 2. Needless to say, both events gave me the outlook that I have right now, and gave me my hatred of every New Ager and speaker of nonsense who waxes philosophically about we're all made of stars, energy, or choose the lives we lead.

It's all BS. Every last bit of it.

I'm then assuming you had a negative experience.

Well, I'm not going to try to convince you that it didn't happen. I've heard a lot of hellish NDE cases, and I'm fully aware that a lot of people end up in dark places, I just hope you learned the lesson you were suppose to learn from your NDE experience. Perhaps it was a warning of some sort.

On the other hand, you said it yourself: you hate

If you don't let go of that hate, or cynicism , your third NDE (or actual death) will be the same

I'm then assuming you had a negative experience.

Well, I'm not going to try to convince you that it didn't happen. I've heard a lot of hellish NDE cases, and I'm fully aware that a lot of people end up in dark places, I just hope you learned the lesson you were suppose to learn from your NDE experience. Perhaps it was a warning of some sort.

On the other hand, you said it yourself: you hate

If you don't let go of that hate, or cynicism , your third NDE (or actual death) will be the same

For fuck's sake, just shut up.

You have no idea about anything in regards to me, my experiences, or who I am as a person. Stop bullshitting people by pretending you do. When you get the chance to die and come back twice, you can write a book and sell your own version of the same tired bullshit everyone else writes and lies about.

Until you've lived my life, and lived what I have, you need to simply keep your prefabricated, unoriginal lies and bullshit that you learned on Oprah, Montel, and every other bullshit TV show you've ever watched to yourself.

I say this without hate, I say it with contempt. There's a difference. Hatred is irrational, contempt is justified.

I have a philosophy about life. We're all teachers and students, however, I'm intelligent enough to convey my beliefs, instead of speaking verbatim in soundbites, and rehearsed paragraphs to make myself look smarter than I really am.

What irritates me about this whole touchy feely new age nonsense, is that for whatever reason the people who believe it the most, are the same people who believe it the least when other people differ in their opinion.

Had I not lived my life, or had the experiences I have had, I would probably fall for all that crap. I don't fall for it, because I've seen more truth in my life than most people would ever want to.

The truth of things is this. We live, we die, we move on, and there's no consequences for doing good or evil. There's no heaven, no hell, just a progression.

The worst part about what I've seen and experienced is knowing that even though we wish there were some divine justice meted out to those who have done evil in this world, there isn't going to be. It's just the same old progression. You want balance? The only real balance is that the chances of someone evil living forever, is about the same as those who are good. We all get the same thing, a lifetime. Some are long, some are short, but all are the same in meaning.

Believe what you like, but I assure you that at the end of this existence, there is nothing that can be found in any book, by any author, or in any religion.

If there is no heaven and no hell, then what is the definition of progression?
Progression is a word that suggests that there is more and less advanced, better and worse.
Is it possible that one progresses from being more loving to be full of hate?
Is that also progression?

what you are essentially is saying is climbing in zero G environment.

If there is no heaven and no hell, then what is the definition of progression?
Progression is a word that suggests that there is more and less advanced, better and worse.
Is it possible that one progresses from being more loving to be full of hate?
Is that also progression?

what you are essentially is saying is climbing in zero G environment.

1. Movement, as toward a goal; advance.
  2. Development or growth: students who show progress.
  3. Steady improvement, as of a society or civilization: a believer in human progress. See synonyms at development.
  4. A ceremonial journey made by a sovereign through his or her realm.
<!-- __ADSHERE --> intr.v. pro·gress (prə-grĕs'), -gressed, -gress·ing, -gress·es.
  1. To advance; proceed: Work on the new building progressed at a rapid rate.
  2. To advance toward a higher or better stage; improve steadily: as medical technology progresses.
  3. To increase in scope or severity, as a disease taking an unfavorable cours

Back