• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

I had a Time Traveling Experience (Time Slip Phenomenon)

This post is interesting to me. I was just looking at this subject last night. I have looked into it before on several occasions and like so many other unexplained occurrances,there are no really concrete answers. The geological guess seems like at least a valid consideration.

Anyone who has done any research on this subject has probably at least seen the similarities in the descriptions that are enough to validate at least some continuity to these things. Anyone can claim anything on the web and make it sound convincing , correlate the story with other known events. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt here that something happened. I'm not a judge of this. Just my subjective opinion and I'm sure to the person making the claim it really doesn't matter if I believe it or not, more of a question of her getting some answers to what happened.

Since it is highly unlikely that Joe time traveler is going to show up and tell us all how it works we can only speculate , compare and guess. These kinds of time slips seem to be much more prevalent in concerning past events as opposed to going into the future. Anyone who does show up with all the answers is immediately suspect. I'm not really buying into the whole time loop theory here yet, kind of like accidentally jumping on the wrong subway train only it happens to be a time train.

In order to even make a theory we need to at least postulate a few things. First, if we were to accept that time and the events in it are made then it would not be implausible to say that moving into and out of it is possible at least by the ones who construct and manage it. That we can be pulled or invited into the process seems to be a strong possibility.

On the surface of this we can reason that something made was , is , and will be in another state and that the something that made it doesn't change states because it must remain consistant in order to oversee and monitor the outcomes. Time seems to be the result of other things and not a construct merely in and of itself.

In the case of time travel backwards I think the possibility exists that sometimes we can be fooled into believing we are in the past because of something playing with our senses. In order to reverse the construction or deconstruction of matter we would need to construct an alternate reality or change the one that we have. IOW have two realities because the people who live in the now will continue in the now. It would be far easier to live in some kind of an "imprint" of the past temporarily than it would be to completely reconstruct a reality.

In the cases I have reviewed some of these places seem real enough. In one case a few couples drive to France,sleep in the beds and eat the food while in a place that has been closed for years. My question is, Did they really go back in time or is someone making a construct? I find it highly improbable that time reversed and more likely that they either wound up in an imprint from the past or an elaborate reconstruction that played with their senses to such a high level that they were completely fooled. This would have to go way beyond the dream that seemed real.

I am not nearly as familiar with cases of advancing into the future. Early writings including some Biblical describe people going into other places and times. In these cases it is usually accepted that they had a "vision" given to them from a higher being that showed events that would happenin in the future. Much of the time these visions are symbolic and need an explanation to be understood.

In your case with your description of a "humming sound" I am wondering if you walked into a scenario where future events were being modeled for possible changes or demoed. Kind of like a drawing board where someone is trying out different options. You may have walked into this and looked at it. It might not have really been there. More like a holographic representaion of something that could be. It could have looked for everything like it was real. Just my .00002 cents worth.

Talking of time travel, I know all the explanations put forward for deja-vu but one time, at bandcamp, no sorry. One time, I went to a small town in my early teens I had definitely never been before and as I approached my final destination I had the strongest deja-vu ever. I even described what was about to come into view with the person next to me. I swear I had no prior knowledge. I understand the logical, skeptical view is that I experienced 'normal' deja-vu and I had a lucky guess but for me that doesn't cut it. I could see in my mind a picture of the street I was going to turn into. I'd never seen photos or even had it described to me. I have no explanation other than there is no reason to think that maybe time, or our experience of it, might at times become very malliable due to perhaps forces we are not even close to understanding?

Yeah I don't claim to understand much about it. We don't seem to have near as much data as we do for UFOs. Lost time seems to be more common. Read many stories of people who went somewhere and when they returned way too much time had gone by..... I have experienced some deja-vu from remembered dreams.

What is the difference between a time slip phenomenon and false memories? I have had a series of odd experiences lately and don't know how to classify them except as false memories. Through Internet research trying to figure out what is going on, has lead me here. I have memories of things which did not happen, and no memories of things which did happen.

What is the difference between a time slip phenomenon and false memories? I have had a series of odd experiences lately and don't know how to classify them except as false memories. Through Internet research trying to figure out what is going on, has lead me here. I have memories of things which did not happen, and no memories of things which did happen.
Perhaps you should start a new thread detailing some of your odd experiences.

I always thought so-called time slip experiences are a modern myth propagated by people like Charles Berlitz or Viktor Farkas (an austrian author, journalist and fortean who got quite well-known and infamous in the german speaking countries) , who probably didn't care too much about the veracity of a story if it would help them sell books. Things like the Versailles garden trip by these two Englishwomen, where you could never say if they really had an experience that went down as it was described or if they ever even existed. Only when the internet came about and I could look for more information did I find out that there were first-hand accounts by people who seemed rather credible and perfectly normal, like for example

One story about an english pilot who allegedly "flew into the future" after getting into some unnatural-looking cloud bank and bad weather, I had read in a book by Viktor Farkas and always thought it was probably totally made-up. Maybe the guy never existed. Other stories that had been re-told by the same author had turned out to be totally exaggerated or based on unsubstantiated urban myths and other fiction (like that of "time-traveller" Rudolf Fentz).

Yesterday, while I was looking through an old book by Farkas I'd found in the attic, which I must have forgotten to throw away back in the 80s, I stumbled across the name of this pilot and so I did a google search. Turns out the man not only really existed and had written about his experience himself, but he was also a Sir, a senior commander in the Air Force, a decorated war hero who had flown in both world wars and generally not a person I would call weird, fantasy-prone or a charlatan.

Victor Goddard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A few pictures of him:

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/sir-victor-goddard.jpg
http://images.npg.org.uk/264_325/0/6/mw222106.jpg

On Google books, I found an excerpt from his book "Flight towards Reality", in which he described his experience (scroll down half the page, where the new chapter starts):
Modern Mysticism: Jung, Zen and the Still Good Hand of God - Michael Gellert - Google Books

Comparing this with the retelling in Viktor Farkas' book I'd say that it was quite accurate (more so than I had thought) but while Farkas seems to have played up the role of the "bad weather" (creating a Bermuda-triangle-like scenario with an ominous, unnatural looking cloud-bank possibly created by some otherworldly force) and implying that Goddard really physically went into a future time, Goddard's report itself seems much less ominous and could be interpreted as a precognitive vision or psychic impression, maybe brought on by a kind of self-hypnotism while trying to focus on the task of getting through the situation unharmed. The fact that the people on the airfield below him didn't seem to notice his plane, was only shortly mentioned in Farkas' re-telling, whereas it seems to have been of some importance to Goddard himself, who couldn't expain it at the time, and a detail of his time-slip that didn't match the actual way the airfield would look in the future (hangars which had been re-built in steel instead of brick) was not mentioned at all. And there's nothing about the weather or the clouds being ominous or other-worldly. But still, it was more accurate than I had expected.

But the head-scratching didn't end there. It seems that this wasn't Victor Goddard's only "paranormal episode". In 1975 (also in the book titled "Flight towards Reality", if I'm not mistaken) he published the " Freddy Jackson Ghost Foto", where an air mechanic who had died in an accident two days before, allegedly shows up on a group portrait of his squadron. And in 1955, a movie was made about an experience he had had, where he allegedly avoided a plane crash because he had heard an officer talk about a (possibly precognitive) dream in which Goddard had been killed in the very circumstances which later actually occured.

For an air marshall and fighter pilot who (I guess) would always have to have his senses together and not be fantasy-prone, he was quite interested in the parnaormal. I guess the book title "Flight towards Reality" means that through his own experiences he had become convinced of a "greater reailty". Not only did he believe in the existence of "real" (unexplainable) UFOs, but he also seems to have been convinced of the reality of spiritualism and that the two areas might be linked, meaning that at least some UFOs originated on earth but on other planes of existence (the infamous interdimensinal hypothesis). The speech cited in his wikipedia article was given in 1969, which was about the time Jacques Vallée came out with "Passport to Magonia". I guess he was ahead of his time.

IMO, it's quite "the bomb" to imagine this impressively decorated war-hero and senior officer of the Air Force standing in front of a baffled crowd, talking about "illusion-prone spirits" (= tricksters?), "earlier incarnations", "paraphysical UFOs" etc.

Well , once again, I can't dismiss all this, because the witness seems quite credible. And a highly fascinating character, for sure.

EDIT

Here's a video about Goddard, mostly concerning the alleged ghost photo. It seems that he's actually the guy to the left, behind whose head the "ghost image" appears, at least that's what the narrator says in the vid. I compared the image with Goddard's picture in the links above, and I think it could be a younger version of him. The video also has a short section on his "time slip story", though.

The narrator also says that Goddard would have strong veridical premonitions. Maybe the "precognitive dream" in "The night my number came up" had actually been his own. At least he would have known about and believed in them. Here's a clip from the movie:

It seems that he wasn't very pleased by the way they depicted his demeanour when he landed the plane. The actor shows him agitated while he claimed to have been totally calm. I think this might mean that in situations like these he would mentally detach (hypnotize) himself from any anxiousness and confusion to concentrate on flying, which could have led to a trance-like state, opening his subconscious for the precognitive "vision" (which I think this "time-slip" was, if it really happened as he reported it).

Last edited:
Cool. I didn't know about that Lindbergh story. I'll try to look it up. But as for the Bermuda triangle, I'm pretty convinced it's a modern myth. If something anomalous happened to that pilot (and it was not an exaggeration or misinterpretation), it probably could have happened any place else.

Dunno if it has been mentioned but I am reading a book on timeslips by English paranormal author, Jenny Randles. In my opinion, no-one comes close to Jenny in the UK when it comes to books on paranormal topics.

A few pictures of him:

http://www.toptenz.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/sir-victor-goddard.jpg
http://images.npg.org.uk/264_325/0/6/mw222106.jpg

For an air marshall and fighter pilot who (I guess) would always have to have his senses together and not be fantasy-prone, he was quite interested in the paranormal. I guess the book title "Flight towards Reality" means that through his own experiences he had become convinced of a "greater reality". Not only did he believe in the existence of "real" (unexplainable) UFOs, but he also seems to have been convinced of the reality of spiritualism and that the two areas might be linked, meaning that at least some UFOs originated on earth but on other planes of existence (the infamous interdimensional hypothesis). The speech cited in his wikipedia article was given in 1969, which was about the time Jacques Vallée came out with "Passport to Magonia". I guess he was ahead of his time.

IMO, it's quite "the bomb" to imagine this impressively decorated war-hero and senior officer of the Air Force standing in front of a baffled crowd, talking about "illusion-prone spirits" (= tricksters?), "earlier incarnations", "paraphysical UFOs" etc.

I believe the gentleman was very likely a student of occult/esoteric ideas. He was coming with a context. In the quote supplied below from the Wikipedia article his mention of 'astral' - and particularly of 'etheric' - is a dead give-away. His description of the 'astral world' indicates that he had some familiarity with the esoteric organization of the human being as described by various occult streams - namely, for example, the deceptive and malleable nature of the astral realm, its 'trickster' element. The mention of reincarnation is a singular element pointing to western esoteric studies as this is not usually in the parlance of a westerner.

However, for historical context, someone of his time (early 20th century) would have been as familiar with western esotericism: such as Rosicrusianism, Theosophy, Spiritualism, etc. - and terms coming from these streams: astral, etheric, reincarnation - as we are now in our day familiar with movements like Transcendental Meditation, Yoga, Martial Arts - with the attendant terms like 'aura', 'energy points' and 'vibration'. Given his use of the terms I would suspect that he was a student of one or another of the esoteric streams of his day.

Rather than being 'ahead of his time' - it seems he was very much embedded in an ancient modality using those terms to describe what he meant. He was using the terms as a 'jumping off' for his own ideas.

From The Wikipedia article, a relevant portion of his 1969 speech is quoted -

TEXT: "That while it may be that some operators of UFO are normally the paraphysical denizens of a planet other than Earth, there is no logical need for this to be so. For, if the materiality of UFO is paraphysical (and consequently normally invisible), UFO could more plausibly be creations of an invisible world coincident with the space of our physical Earth planet than creations in the paraphysical realms of any other physical planet in the solar system. . . . Given that real UFO are paraphysical, capable of reflecting light like ghosts; and given also that (according to many observers) they remain visible as they change position at ultrahigh speeds from one point to another, it follows that those that remain visible in transition do not dematerialize for that swift transition, and therefore, their mass must be of a diaphanous (very diffuse) nature, and their substance relatively etheric . . . . The observed validity of this supports the paraphysical assertion and makes the likelihood of UFO being Earth-created greater than the likelihood of their creation on another planet. . . . The astral world of illusion, which (on psychical evidence) is greatly inhabited by illusion-prone spirits, is well known for its multifarious imaginative activities and exhortations. Seemingly some of its denizens are eager to exemplify principalities and powers. Others pronounce upon morality, spirituality, Deity, etc . All of these astral exponents who invoke human consciousness may be sincere, but many of their theses may be framed to propagate some special phantasm, perhaps of an earlier incarnation, or to indulge an inveterate and continuing technological urge toward materialistic progress , or simply to astonish and disturb the gullible for the devil of it."

Last edited:
I always thought so-called time slip experiences are a modern myth propagated by people like Charles Berlitz or Viktor Farkas (an austrian author, journalist and fortean who got quite well-known and infamous in the german speaking countries) , who probably didn't care too much about the veracity of a story if it would help them sell books. Things like the Versailles garden trip by these two Englishwomen, where you could never say if they really had an experience that went down as it was described or if they ever even existed. Only when the internet came about and I could look for more information did I find out that there were first-hand accounts by people who seemed rather credible and perfectly normal, like for example

This is great fun! Thank you for posting it all. :)

The couple who saw the flowers in the village - something familiar about that, in the sense that one thinks one saw something one way but then it turns out to be not the way one recalls it.

Rather than being 'ahead of his time' - it seems he was very much embedded in an ancient modality using those terms to describe what he meant.

Well, I wrote he was ahead of his time in connecting the UFO phenomenon to a more earth-bound but paranormal source than real, physical extraterrestrials. You're probably right about the rest, though.

If he was into spiritualism, he probably would have heard and read all the stuff that was indeed around at the time, but not all of it out in the open (as it still is today), and some totally obscure (the occult and esoteric). As to the question why a man of his standing and career would be concerned with these topics at all, I think that your own factual, convincing experiences can do that to you.

I'm not saying that he must have automatically been on the right track, either. We have seen what the interdimensional belief in connection with UFOs can lead to.

I've just read this whole thread - and it's pretty trippy. It starts in December of 2008. The woman telling her 'time slip' story has an unusual 'idiolect'. Schuyler is very interesting in his analysis. I'd say her story is bogus. JMO.

Back