• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

How many of you actually think something special is going to happen 2012?

Golemfrost

Armchair hero
Please tell me, how many of you actually believe that during the end of 2012 something out of the ordinary will actually happen ?
(Doomsday, etc)

After doing a quick survey of the accuracy of absolutely every doomsday prediction that has ever been made in the past (this took my team of trained apes hours I tell you) I think its a safe bet that nothing whatsoever out of the ordinary is going to happen on that date.

Other than a few parties, some tremendously high credit card bills, and a few head-splitting hangovers... Nah, I don't think anything will happen.

i hope something will happen. how cool would it be to witness the end of the world...

The worse thing that is going to happen is volunteering to help clean up political signs from the side of the road after the election.

If anything occurs i hope it would be something that was akin to the renaissance.It would be great if something like this happened.A change in peoples thinking and outlook on life in general would be the best thing that could occur.I wouldnt expect it to be something notice till years later when we could look back and then see the greatness of the changes in our civilization.

I don't give much merit to any doomsday predictions that have come and gone for the simple fact that none of them have been credible after the fact (obviously). Not to say that there aren't predictions of the end of the world as we know it, that are in fact, going to happen. The big difference with the Mayan calendar and other predictions is that these people were obsessed with time, time increments, and had one of the most accurate calendars ever devised. They also had a very astute understanding of astronomy, so I do give there predictions more credibility than others. On the other hand, I read an article that suggests the end of there calendar, end of the world, age, transformation or whatever you want to call this prediction happened well over 200 years ago. The bottom line is December 21 2012 will probably pass by like so many other December 21st's before it without incident.

Link to story in city pages

http://www.citypages.com/2011-04-06/news/revelation-2012/

I thought the rapture was about to happen October 21, the May date was just wrong 'bible math'... I'm behind the times, what's 2012? Is it referenced in the Bible ? yeah...

What's really interesting to me is that as our consensual reality heats up, western culture appears to be waking up to something close by that feels inevitable. It seems to me that our cultural assumptions (in the waning months of 2011) are programming this process. Like a fool falling off a building--wondering at the view and enjoying the sensation of a thrilling ride--we're flying! wee-ee-ee-eeee --the falling fool needs to sprout wings FAST to avoid a sudden stop at the end of the ride... Yeah, we'll be here laughing on December 22, 2012, but I hope it isn't the maniacal laugh of a fool in flight.

images

I think this sums it up nicely.
images

What is the point of doomsday predictions? No one survives doomsday right? Do you really want to be the ones that hold out until the bitter end, defending a pile of freeze dried food and bottled water? Are we to do some naval staring and prepare ourselves for world-wide catastrophe? Really? What is the point of the hand wringing? Call me cynical, but I think it's more a money making enterprise myself. The real doomsday will most likely occur like most individuals deaths do, quite by surprise.

Hey I'm going to one of those myself this Friday......It didn't end May 21, so it's supposedly going to end October 21.
WOnder what that guy is gonna say Saturday morning? ...."Oops! My bad."?

Back