• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Hampton Court Palace Ghost

SPX

Paranormal Maven
Not sure who is familiar with this story, but I was listening to an old episode of C2C today and there was a mention of the "Hampton Court Palace Ghost." So I busted a little Google action and found a video.

The Hampton Court Palace is an English royal palace that is no longer inhabited by the royal family and is in fact now a tourist attraction. The story as I heard it was that this particular set of doors at the palace would seem to open and close on their own and so the palace staff set up a camera on the door to see what would happen. What they captured was a shocker to all and the footage made it on the news.

Real or fake? You decide.

(But I will say this: If it is real then it is absolutely the best video evidence we have for the existence of ghosts.)

It looks impressive but I'd say it's just too spooky to be true. If it was in high definition and colour we'd probably see it's a costume.

Good video. If its not a practical joke wow. But we'll never know for sure was it a ghost or something else unfortunately.

I saw the video a few years back and it looks great. It is either 'real' or it is a damn good fake!

I did hear a rumour that the figure was an employee and it was an 'inside' hoax but there is nothing to back up that assertion either. Bit like The Loch Ness Monster, a ghost at Hampton Court is a great tourist draw - I'm sure there are plenty ghosts to see at the Tower of London too.

Anyone want a real scare, go to Edinburgh, Scotland where you can get tours of the miles of passages under the city. Tales of bodysnatching (true ones) and murder most horrid abound in this area with it's history. As ghost tours go, it's as good as they get IMO.

Good video. If its not a practical joke wow. But we'll never know for sure was it a ghost or something else unfortunately.

Yes, that's the problem. There's certainly no way to really prove it. You just have to take it and make what you will of it and file it away.

I did hear a rumour that the figure was an employee and it was an 'inside' hoax but there is nothing to back up that assertion either.

Yes, from what I understand there is considerable reason to believe that if it IS a hoax, the bulk of the Hampton Court Palace staff isn't in on it, as they seemed to be genuinely as shocked as anyone else. This makes sense, since I really don't think the palace officials would go so far as to release a video to the press, claiming it to be genuine when they know it's not.

It's certainly possible that it is an "inside" hoax, as you say. But it seems like it would take some doing, especially since, as they say on the video, nothing was seen with the naked eye.

Anyone want a real scare, go to Edinburgh, Scotland where you can get tours of the miles of passages under the city. Tales of bodysnatching (true ones) and murder most horrid abound in this area with it's history. As ghost tours go, it's as good as they get IMO.

That sounds interesting. I'd like to check that out.

Lame Debunking Article On the Hampton Court ghost

London: The so-called 'Hampton Court' ghost which was allegedly captured on video has turned out to be a hoax.
In pictures splashed worldwide earlier in December, a supposed figure stands in a doorway at Hampton Court Palace in southwest London in the image which was caught on closed circuit television.
Now the website Paranormal-Investigation.com after examination of the 'ghost' video has concluded that the figure was infact very much of the earth.
After video enhancement, the investigators conclude: "When enhanced and stabilized the video looks far less like a ghost and more like an attendant of some kind (wearing a period costume). The press and media took the most ghost like image of the low resolution sequence and circulated the low resolution and shaky images from video without any processing to balance contrast and used this to claim it was a ghost, but when you look at the sequence once enhanced and stabilized it looks less convincing.
The investigator goes on to say, "Would a 17th century spirit know how to operate a Fire exit door? I'm sure most modern people have difficulty closing them but the 'ghost' seemed quite able to get it to work, closing one side then the other. The motion of the legs, arms and hands appear totally solid and are consistent with that of known human articulation".
From Ghosts-UK - Ghosts - Paranormal News - Poltergeist - Ouija - News - Welcome to the Paranormal - Ghosts - Spirits - Paranormal News - Investigations

Points to consider:
#1. According to the video, an alarm for the door went off and security was there within 2 minutes, and discovered no one. The building was empty of everyone anyway, there were no "attendants" in costume or otherwise.
#2. If you actually watch the video, the doors open before the figure comes out. That's a neat trick in any case.
#3. "Would a 17th century ghost know how to operate a fire door?" Well, duh...I guess peoples IQ's were in the single digits if you can't see that a door opens by pushing on a bar.
#4.The motion of the legs, arms and hands appear totally solid and are consistent with that of known human articulation".....Ummmm, isn't a ghost of a human being supposed to be fully articulated like a human? Does being a ghost lock up the joints or something like ectoplasm arthritis?
#5. "...but when you look at the sequence once enhanced and stabilized it looks less convincing. " That's only if you assume all ghosts are spectral see-through vapor forms. If you do any research into ghost reports, quite a few of them have full fledged forms that appear solid and corpreal.

Intelligent Debunking is a necessary part of investigations into anything paranormal or bizarre. It keeps researchers honest and makes them have to use their brains to see if the explanations really do fit the situation.
THIS article has neither intelligence NOR brains.

Oh, one other thing I missed. Notice how they "proclaim" it turns out to be a hoax, without ANY evidence that it's actually a hoax. They say (paraphrased) "most likely" or "could be". .....Not "we found the person who did it"....or "we have PROOF it was hoaxed".

I took part in an informal ghost hunt there about 10 years ago. After memebers of the public passed through a particular part of the house they were asking them to fill in questionaires. I cant remember the questions or if they were leading or just crap but it was along the lines of "did you experience anything unusual." I though it was part of the ghost publicity rather than a serious study however it was very unusual for paying visitors to take part in an informal ghost study and pretty cool to bother to do it. maybe the research results is posted some where.

Back