• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Gulf Breeze and Other Questions for Dr. Bruce Maccabee

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
As you requested, loyal listeners, we have scheduled a recording session with veteran UFO investigator and photographic expert Dr. Bruce Maccabee. The Gulf Breeze case is one of the main topics on the agenda, but we'll be covering his other work in the field.

The session is set for Tuesday, January 28 from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Mountain time.

The show will be broadcast in February. Yes, lots of shows are being recorded (this is the third scheduled so far).

How does he feel about being duped by Richard Theilmann

Ufology Exopolitics Special – Source A Update « Reality Uncovered
Ufology Exopolitics Special: Source A Exposed! « Reality Uncovered

Prompted by Salla’s constant accusations of disingenuity regarding our “omission” of Bruce Maccabee’s expert testimony, we decided to contact him again.
RU’s Ryan Dube once again opened discussions with Dr. Maccabee, asking for further clarification regarding the meeting with Richard Theilmann.

Does he have any more info on this case

SA5.jpg

As you requested, loyal listeners, we have scheduled a recording session with veteran UFO investigator and photographic expert Dr. Bruce Maccabee. The Gulf Breeze case is one of the main topics on the agenda, but we'll be covering his other work in the field.

The session is set for Tuesday, January 28 from 11 a.m. until 1 p.m. Mountain time.

The show will be broadcast in February. Yes, lots of shows are being recorded (this is the third scheduled so far).

Awesome, Gene! I'll be listening.

While I do believe that Gulf Breeze/Pensacola area had a tremendous UFO flap in the mid to late eighties......I have lived across the bridge from Gulf Breeze now for approximately 19 years and work 5p to 5a. I must say that because I am very interested in the paranormal, I always watch the skies here and in 19 years, I have not observed anything that resembles a UFO.....no strange lights or anything. Now that being said, I have spoken with a chap who works at the local airport, and as many of you know Pensacola is the Cradle of Naval Aviation. This is where many of the worlds militaries send their pilots for further flight training. Heck, even Top Gun comes down once a year to dogfight over the Gulf of Mexico.

Anyway while speaking with this chap he stated that he happened to overhear a U.S. Military pilot, on a certain night, call Pensacola ATC and ask if they had traffic flying in formation with his aircraft (I believe one of those new T-6's). ATC advised "Negative", and mintues later the pilot immediately landed and sounded very shaken up and, was needless to say, done for that flight.

Last edited:
Questions for Dr. Maccabee:
(off the top of my head)

Can you explain your expertise in analysing photographs? Where do those skills/training come from, etc.?

What was your initial impression of Ed Walters at the start of everything, and has it changed over time?

What was your impression of his wife, Frances, at the time? (She was involved in the experiences and co-wrote the first two Gulf Breeze books with Ed.)

Do you know where Ed Walters is now and what he’s doing?

When was the last time you were in touch with him?

Do you think Ed Walters would ever appear on a show like the Paracast to discuss the Gulf Breeze events?

Do you know what Ed's feelings are about what ultimately happened (allegations of hoaxing, the whole thing being written off as a hoax, his name now synonymous with hoaxer)?

Do you have any regrets at all about your involvement in the Gulf Breeze case? If so... what are they?

Do you still, today, stand by your evaluations of Ed Walter's photographs (that they are real)?

Of all the photographs taken by Ed Walters, which one do you find the most compelling and why?

Have you ever attempted to recreate Ed’s photographs using the same (or similar) camera and a model?
(I believe that in the book he published with Walters, he did just that - but maybe he can take us through that again - and his conclusions.)

Is there evidence to suggest that U.S. military bases in and around Gulf Breeze were aware of the UFOs, or strange things happening, and if so, what is that evidence? What is the level of military involvement in the case?

Who was Jerry Black and what were his problemst with the case? Could you discuss your response to Jerry Black's conclusions?

Have any of Walter's photographs been evaluated recently, using today's sophisticated photo-analytical processes? If so, how do they stand up?

Who has the original photographs? Walters?

To your knowledge, has the distinctive "Gulf Breeze UFO" ever appeared in a photograph taken BEFORE the events in Florida, and can that be proven? Did the distinctive UFO appear elsewhere at other times? If so, are those photos considered real (by him)?

In your opinion, how does the Gulf Breeze UFO Incident(s) fit into the spectrum of ufological research? Is it an important case? If so, why? What did we learn about the phenomenon from Gulf Breeze?

While I do believe that Gulf Breeze/Pensacola area had a tremendous UFO flap in the mid to late eighties......I have lived across the bridge from Gulf Breeze now for approximately 19 years and work 5p to 5a. I must say that because I am very interested in the paranormal, I always watch the skies here and in 19 years, I have not observed anything that resembles a UFO.....no strange lights or anything. Now that being said, I have spoken with a chap who works at the local airport, and as many of you know Pensacola is the Cradle of Naval Aviation. This is where many of the worlds militaries send their pilots for further flight training. Heck, even Top Gun comes down once a year to dogfight over the Gulf of Mexico.

Anyway while speaking with this chap he stated that he happened to overhear a U.S. Military pilot, on a certain night, call Pensacola ATC and ask if they had traffic flying in formation with his aircraft (I believe one of those new T-6's). ATC advised "Negative", and mintues later the pilot immediately landed and sounded very shaken up and, was needless to say, done for that flight.

About three years ago, my family and some of my brother's family spent a week in Destin which is not far frone evening we were all gathered in one of the beach front condos with a huge balcony for a potluck dinner. Mason, my neice's ten year old son pointed out to the gulf and exclaimed, "What's that?" we all looked out and there was a round yellowish light hovering over the gulf at about 30 degrees elevation. A second identically sized light appeared next to the first one. Then the first one shrunkThen the color turned to red with white centers. Then a mist seemed to envelope the two lights and then they faded out suddenly and were no longer visible. We were confused, and after my brief comment, "That must be "Bubba", a name given by locals to the Pensacola phenomena during the Walters flap, we just forgot about it. About thirty minutes later the whole strange sequence repeated itself.

About three years ago, my family and some of my brother's family spent a week in Destin which is not far frone evening we were all gathered in one of the beach front condos with a huge balcony for a potluck dinner. Mason, my neice's ten year old son pointed out to the gulf and exclaimed, "What's that?" we all looked out and there was a round yellowish light hovering over the gulf at about 30 degrees elevation. A second identically sized light appeared next to the first one. Then the first one shrunkThen the color turned to red with white centers. Then a mist seemed to envelope the two lights and then they faded out suddenly and were no longer visible. We were confused, and after my brief comment, "That must be "Bubba", a name given by locals to the Pensacola phenomena during the Walters flap, we just forgot about it. About thirty minutes later the whole strange sequence repeated itself.

Lucky!!!!........guess you just happened to be in the right place at the right time.....any photos, since you got a second event????

1) What, in your opinion, are the three best cases of photographic evidence of UFO's?

2) Hoaxing has played a huge role in the history of ufology. Do you think, that in an age of digital manipulation, it's even possible to trust any contemporary images or video of UFO's?

Ask him about bill Moore and the aviary. I could very well be wrong but wasn't he at least tangentially involved with that whole fiasco

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Hello Gene and Chris,

As with many UFO investigations that have some depth to them there are still lots of unanswered questions and curious features, to both the Walters case and the overall flap, that deserve more in depth attention and the trail is getting colder each year.

First item: Bruce we have met although I don't expect you would remember me, except possibly, as "the magnetometer guy" who was part of an informal Sunday afternoon discussion at a MUFON conference in Pensacola many years ago -- Chris and I have pleaded with Ray Stanford to do a technical book on what he learned about UFOs from his intense investigation of the activity in Texas during a time when he had both good equipment and good funding. Would you, could you please add your voice to this chorus? Ray felt there would be no market for such a book. At one time he might have been right. I believe times have changed. We might not see it top the best seller list, but it should do well. Ray is a gifted story teller and fascinating individual. His brother is most knowledgeable in physics. As with your work Bruce, I believe there is a "legacy book" waiting to be written that could offer fresh insights and hard data on the subject of alien craft in our skies.

It has been alleged by some witnesses that Ed Walters had a history of doing fake photographs and that he demonstrated that ability before the flap began. That issue has never been fully resolved to my satisfaction, but Ed Walters was a respected business man. He was doing well in his construction business. He didn't need to try hoaxing the world, or gullible Floridians, in order to make a few bucks. He took many subsequent images even some on video. There was prior UFO activity in his immediate area. Bud Hopkins was investigating a case just down the street from Ed's house.

I handled some of the original photos and the images were quite small and bright which is why the light blasting technique was used to bring out much more detail. They did not, in my non-technical view, seem like the kind of thing a hobby hoaxer would put before the public, since in that form they were not all that spectacular. A couple of other points...if Ed's photos were just a prank, that got out of hand, why did some group try to steal all of them and another group or possibly the same group spread false rumors and try to ruin his reputation? (these are kind of rhetorical so I'm not expecting you to answer them)

****What I would like to know is why more wasn't done with the 3D camera that was purchased by MUFON as a way to get better data and to try to filter out any hoaxing? The fact that there was some 3D data for this case was quite remarkable, but then it seemed to be undercut by the fact that the craft in the photo was a drone not one of the larger craft...and no other drones were mentioned or photographed in any of the other GB cases...to my knowledge, which is incomplete.
Even though Gulf Breeze is now in a quiescent phase there were several individuals who ended up having contact there and who moved away, but may still be having contact. That and the fact that there were many other ufo cases and groups of witnesses in the area for a prolonged period of time seemed to support the possibility of truthfulness in the Walters Case, but there seemed to be few others with the level of intensity and detail that marked the Walter's case. Do you have any further insight on that?
There was another MUFON investigator who worked on several cases in and around GB, but then had a split with MUFON over the Walters case. He alleged hoaxing or problems with the case in his view. Can you give us more detail or do you know of some locals who could give us more insight into what that was about? Was it just a "point, counterpoint" way of trying to hype a book and piggy back on the market for Gulf Breeze stories?
Be it known to the Paracast listeners that the ships that Ed photographed are real and that witnesses from other parts of the south as well as the world have sent in drawings and photos or described details of similar craft.
As I was investigating this case, you generously provided me with your report about the tall pine trees that had their tops clipped off by a "presumed" UFO in Gulf Breeze. Thus indicating that some object with mass had crashed into them and left evidence of an anomalous nature though there were no witnesses to the actual event at the time it occurred.
I had a chance interview during a casual conversation with a former Pensacola GB resident and she said that she knew of an annual event where various model plane builders would come together in a park to fly their version of UFOs and there would be prizes for different categories of craft. She had family who participated. Presumably this was several years before the Ed Walters case. If true, and it sounded legitimate at the time, that would indicate that there was a history of interest in this subject in the local populace that has not been mentioned prior to this. Something that would seem to have a bearing on the existence of models showing up as part of this case and suggest a real potential for hoaxing on the part of others.... once the Ed Walters story became national news. YOUR Comment?
I know that Gene and Chris probably won't use this on their show, but there were times when I felt that the US and possibly the rest of the world was being subjected so some kind of social science (mass psychology) experiment.... in that both Bud Hopkins and Whitley Strieber's books were selling well, but there were only or mostly verbal images in them just collections of impressions. Then WHAM! here comes along, not just some more fuzzy photos of lights in the sky, but curiously detailed luminous craft captured in great photographic detail with seemingly visible propulsion sources from what appeared to be a credible source....at first glance. It just seemed wonderfully convenient for this added dimension of "reality" to fill in the image void and to be presented to a "prepared" audience.
My questions would then be, if such were the case, who was behind this experiment and just what were they looking for? I think one could make a very interesting argument that this was a program carefully orchestrated by "an alien intelligence(s)" in order to test the reactions of humans to what certainly seemed to be the intrusive insertion of an alien presence into several "representative" human lives. Could all that have been a kind of preamble of things to come or were they just playing with us like dropping some honey into an ants nest? There was definite playfulness evidenced in several of the cases recorded at Pensacola GB.
Finally, what do you think of the giant black triangular craft that are reported to have gone into orbit in the vicinity of our moon or actually landed in a crater on the back side of the moon? This story has been picked up by the news services and recounted in some rather "breathless" prose. Maybe there's some truth in it, but for some reason,...the setup, the details,....something, it just doesn't seem to pass my investigator's intuition "smell test." Might you have a chance to analyze some of that photographic material for legitimacy? I hope you can get something close to original documents, because anything else would be less than trustworthy.

Last edited:
Gene – just an idea... you could ask Dr. Maccabee about his current opinions of the famous Trent photographs. He did extensive analysis of the negatives back in the mid 70’s. Last year, IPACO researchers posted two controversial studies that detailed evidence of a suspension thread for the UFO in the pictures. Could be interesting discussion there...

The "Aviary" question reminds me -
Dr. Maccabee, did you examine the UFO pictures taken by Paul Bennewitz? If so, what's your opinion of what they depict?

Have you looked at the copies of those photos released by Greg Valdez? You can see a delta shaped something sitting on the side of the mountain there.

Back