• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

ghost vid

You know, it's sad. There is a minmal chance this was genuine Poltergeist activity, but we could never tell, because any footage today can be hoaxed, manipulated and staged and we all are much to weary and jaded by the hoaxes, "reality TV" etc. Well, what can you do. I'll believe it when I've seen it and investigated it myself and can absolutely exclude any trickery = probably never.
Don't say never, because they do happen.

@Ufocurious Since you shared a 'paranormal' event, I'll share one. :) This took place many, many moons ago when I was a teenager. In the living room of my family's house my brother had set up a nice stereo system. One day I was in the living room reading. The stereo was not playing - but I suddenly, very clearly, heard the sound of a man's deep gravelly voice coming from the corner of the room where the stereo was. The sound of the man's voice was significant and unambiguous - loud but garbled. After being startled, I at once thought that the stereo was on, that a record had been left on the turntable - you know, the usual. However, investigation revealed nothing: turntable definitely not on, no record. I looked high and low. What is particularly odd about it is that even as I looked, I heard the voice again - very clear, as though right next to me in that corner of the room. Radio? I looked and looked - nothing. I may have heard it a third time. Could find nothing.

I think I heard it one other time - and I definitely decided that I was 'hearing things'. I also mentally told 'the air' that I wasn't interested in hearing this voice again. Time passed. Nothing more.

One day I come home to find my older sister doing a thorough shake-down of the corner where the stereo was set up. She was doing just what I had done - checking out plugs, turning things on and off. "What's up?" I ask. She mumbles, keeps looking. So I take a stab at it - "You heard the man's voice?" She is clearly shaken. Yes she had. I tell her I've heard it, too. "What is it?" Dunno. We have a brief conversation about it. Given my proclivities even at that age - at age 15 I was reading an ancient alchemical text ;) - I pretty much suspected that I had had a clairaudient experience - but that my sister would have the same experience startled me. Rather than get my sister spooked any more than she was I played it down, said it was a fluke.

Sum total: I was clear I didn't want to hear the voice again, and I didn't. My sister, however, having no sense of the possible 'mechanism' at work, was spooked, was disturbed by the phenomenon - and she heard it a few more times - until she developed a blustery attitude about it, convincing herself that it had something to do with an abnormality with the stereo. Maybe. I think other family members heard it - my brother did and he tore the stereo area apart. It was even moved. :)

Last edited:
Tyger
The first time I heard of transcommunication was back in the early 90s. Since then I heard of EVP and other things related but I never got into it because the sound quality was bad and I was inclined to think people were hearing whatever they wanted, just like the people that hear subliminal messages in songs.
HOWEVER, there is a researcher in Brazil, Sonia Rinaldi that has a lot of interesting stuff to show. I have been curious to do a workshop with her. Look at her site:
.:: IPATI | Instituto de Pesquisas Avançadas em Transcomunicação Instrumental ::.
Listen to the audio:
.:: IPATI | Instituto de Pesquisas Avançadas em Transcomunicação Instrumental ::.
See the pictures in the videos:
.:: IPATI | Instituto de Pesquisas Avançadas em Transcomunicação Instrumental ::. The 5th video is on transimages

Could it be that the disembodied voice in your house was from someone deceased who was able to communicate using the stereo?
The fact that you asked to stop and it respected your desire is interesting.

Could it be that the disembodied voice in your house was from someone deceased who was able to communicate using the stereo?

The fact that you asked to stop and it respected your desire is interesting.

I have a different 'take' on it all. That something 'objectively' was happening I have no doubt - though not 'objective' in a material sense. Whether I would go so far as to identify it as you have I think is 'premature'. Also, I do not believe the phenomenon 'respected my desire' - though I find that a unique and interesting perspective to take. Rather, I see it more as - like the poet said - 'I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.'

Let me insert here that in my years of study in the occult/esoteric realm, one clear and unambiguous warning was always issued from teachers I respected, who I felt were legitimate, and that was to avoid at all costs developing the clairaudient capacity. I have read innumerable cautionary tales concerning individuals who actively sought to travel the road of phenomenon - which included clairaudience - and lived to rue the day they made that choice. I know of one situation where the husband of such a woman watched as she descended into madness. She was unable to stop 'the voices' once they began - and she could not discern between the voices, or command them with her own will. In the end, her psyche - never adequately prepared for such an onslaught - buckled and was destroyed for the remainder of her incarnation.

The above said, I live with the absolute conviction that we are in charge of ourselves. There is nothing to fear from 'the other side'. Nothing can harm us unless we allow it in and give it power. I cannot stress enough - as someone who knows from personal experience that there exist other realms (usually called 'spiritual') not evident to the material senses - that
as much light and goodness and love as exists in those realms, there is also a great deal of flotsam and jetsam (cast off and disintegrating shells) that one does not want to 'invoke' and 'animate'.

People are generally clueless that they engage in 'manifestation' constantly. In fact, they actively resist the very idea that that kind of command is part of the human gestalt. In point of fact, it very much is and we are the drivers of what we see manifesting in this world. That said, focus and concentration given to the subjects of horror movies and all that ilk, is a massive 'creation' on subtle levels. It is equivalent to being confronted with a synthetic fibre and natural fibers like silk or cotton. Or having plastic rather than wood. Those 'synthetic creations' - born of phantasms of the overheated mind - in the hothouse of fear and loathing - become a muck that rears up seeking 'manifestation'. Of themselves they have no 'life' - no 'ego', no 'divine spark'. They are automatons waiting for 'animation' with the weir light of human attention. In a way we are all sorcerers - albeit we wield our power in ignorance - and reap the whirlwind as a result. (Most common is depression).

Hence, my statement of - in effect - 'get thee behind me, satan' :cool: - is the power we all have over these things. We rule them - and we can pick and choose. We do well to exercise discernment and judicious discrimination bwteen what is of value and what is spurious. The realm of paranormal phenomenon is choked with the latter, quite aside from the hoaxes.

Last edited:
Rather, I see it more as - like the poet said - 'I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.' WISE

..that was to avoid at all costs developing the clairaudient capacity. I have read innumerable cautionary tales concerning individuals who actively sought to travel the road of phenomenon ... AGREE According to Brazilian psychiatrists that also dwell with the spirit realm, many schizophrenic patients suffer from clairaudience and are approached by lowly entities who drive them to madness

Nothing can harm us unless we allow it in and give it power. AGREE

as someone who knows from personal experience that there exist other realms INTERESTING, if one day you were willing to share, I am all ears
cast off and disintegrating shells I have no idea what are those, but I will investigate, since the poltergeist we had in our place seemed to be one of those. My mom, who can sometimes peek into other realm said the entity had no form. She only saw it as a dark shadow crawling along the wall

People are generally clueless that they engage in 'manifestation' constantly. In fact, they actively resist the very idea that that kind of command is part of the human gestalt. In point of fact, it very much is and we are the drivers of what we see manifesting in this world. That said, focus and concentration given to the subjects of horror movies and all that ilk, is a massive 'creation' on subtle levels. It is equivalent to being confronted with a synthetic fibre and natural fibers like silk or cotton. Or having plastic rather than wood. Those 'synthetic creations' - born of phantasms of the overheated mind - in the hothouse of fear and loathing - become a muck that rears up seeking 'manifestation'. Of themselves they have no 'life' - no 'ego', no 'divine spark'. They are automatons waiting for 'animation' with the weir light of human attention. In a way we are all sorcerers - albeit we wield our power in ignorance - and reap the whirlwind as a result. (Most common is depression). OOOPS, it went high up above my head. I have heard that Earth's atmosphere is filled with though-forms we have created. However I never understood that, neither investigated.

Hence, my statement of - in effect - 'get thee behind me, satan' :cool: - is the power we all have over these things. We rule them - and we can pick and choose. We do well to exercise discernment and judicious discrimination bwteen what is of value and what is spurious. The realm of paranormal phenomenon is choked with the latter, quite aside from the hoaxes. Guess why I was afraid of doing Ayahuasca, other than having a pure brew? One of my first questions to the guy that does it was how could one keep the place clean. He, however, told me that is me who has to be clean. He has done Santo Daime in crowds, but all the demons he saw were his own. But it took him 3 rituals to understand that.

I did some quick research.
Oh Boy... it is all a little complicated, but nothing that hours of studying cannot fix a bit.
But I understood cast off. It is what we call in Portuguese duplo eterico. The body that connects the astral body to the physical one. According to Ricardo di Bernadi, a spiritist well regarded in my town, it is an energetic body that disintegrates after death.It works as a battery for the physical body. It is made by bioenergy, and it is within the duplo eterico that ectoplasma is produced. He says that ectoplasma is needed for spirits to materialize and interact with the physical. However, it is most used for spiritual cure and assistance to spirits that are still attached to the physical world.
Thought-forms - formas pensamentos - he says a lot of the mediums he knows see those. It can be animated by an unaware mediums.
Would be in your understanding that cast offs can also be animated by living mediums?

I will study more. But if I am off with my learnings, do tell me.
My 50% "is all between our ears" higher self is grinning at me!

I did some quick research.
Oh Boy... it is all a little complicated, but nothing that hours of studying cannot fix a bit.
But I understood cast off. It is what we call in Portuguese duplo eterico. The body that connects the astral body to the physical one. According to Ricardo di Bernadi, a spiritist well regarded in my town, it is an energetic body that disintegrates after death.

Exactly so - this is what I am referring to when I use the term Etheric Body or Life Body. Also Energy Body. It is this subtle body that has been partially identified by main stream medicine in the 1980's. It was then that the Immune System was recognized and named. This is an identification of an aspect of the Etheric/Life/Energy Body.

It works as a battery for the physical body. It is made by bioenergy, and it is within the duplo eterico that ectoplasma is produced. He says that ectoplasma is needed for spirits to materialize and interact with the physical.

I am following the reasoning. I see what he is saying. Makes sense.

However, it is most used for spiritual cure and assistance to spirits that are still attached to the physical world.

Well, each physical body has its own etheric body - is the way I understand it. Our own etheric body heals us, repairs us, at night when we sleep.

BTW I have esoteric friends who - upon reading abduction stories - believe that what is happening is the person's astral body is not completely leaving the physical/etheric in the process of going to sleep - since it is the astral that carries the aptitude for awareness, the physical/etheric does not. For there to be awareness the astral has to be involved. There is a disturbance and what would normally take place below consciousness/awareness gets stimulated by the still connected astral body, into awareness, but in a skewed way. It would explain the physical world imagery of medical procedures, etc., that 'abductees' report.

Thought-forms - formas pensamentos - he says a lot of the mediums he knows see those. It can be animated by an unaware mediums. Would be in your understanding that cast offs can also be animated by living mediums?

I may have stumbled into something I did not intend. When speaking of these things one needs to be precise. Are we talking about thought-forms? Thought-forms are specifically referring to the mental sphere.

I may have spoken too loosely when I mentioned 'cast-offs'. The astral (emotional) realm is strewn with 'cast offs'. The etheric realm forms do not cohere on their own without a physical body. The way I understand it the etheric is a state of life force. This life force can be invoked to animate an astral form - but this is really not my forte. I should stop here - it is not my area of study. I do not use these concepts in this way since I do not seek out phenomena. I know these situations can occur but it is not where I focus my attention or channel my energy. You probably know more of these mechanisms than I do. :)

I will study more. But if I am off with my learnings, do tell me.
My 50% "is all between our ears" higher self is grinning at me!

Not for me to say whether you are 'off '. I am not an esoteric teacher. I simply share my enthusiasm. :)

BTW - do you live in Portugal? Or Brazil?

BTW I have esoteric friends who - upon reading abduction stories - believe that what is happening is the person's astral body is not completely leaving the physical/etheric in the process of going to sleep - since it is the astral that carries the aptitude for awareness, the physical/etheric does not. For there to be awareness the astral has to be involved. There is a disturbance and what would normally take place below consciousness/awareness gets stimulated by the still connected astral body, into awareness, but in a skewed way. It would explain the physical world imagery of medical procedures, etc., that 'abductees' report.

I know, I am quoting myself. ;) But I wanted to clarify something.

An occult teacher at the turn of the 19th/20th century indicated that by the end of the 20th century people would be 'seeing past the veil' into the spiritual world without adequate preparation. In the past one did not access the subtler realms without formal initiation, meaning preparation. The teacher indicated that the entry into the subtler realms without preparation would result in confusion and mis-understanding. This particular teacher I am thinking of was not the only occult/esoteric teacher to indicate that this would start to happen by the end of the 20th century. I think we can safely say that the 'prophesy' is coming true - the 'veil between the two worlds' is thinning.

It wasn't really a 'prophesy' as such, though. They were extrapolating human development as they saw it taking place. They were indicating that the 'veil between the words' will 'thin'. As I've indicated, some esotericists see the 'abduction phenomenon' as an example of this. I have started to suspect that the ufo phenomenon may also be an indication of the 'veil' thinning. When I listen to the descriptions of some of the subjective impressions of seeing a ufo - in certain reports - I am thinking there is a paraphysical explanation for the event.

Last edited:
@Ufocurious Since you shared a 'paranormal' event, I'll share one. :) This took place many, many moons ago when I was a teenager. In the living room of my family's house my brother had set up a nice stereo system. One day I was in the living room reading. The stereo was not playing - but I suddenly, very clearly, heard the sound of a man's deep gravelly voice coming from the corner of the room where the stereo was. The sound of the man's voice was significant and unambiguous - loud but garbled. After being startled, I at once thought that the stereo was on, that a record had been left on the turntable - you know, the usual. However, investigation revealed nothing: turntable definitely not on, no record. I looked high and low. What is particularly odd about it is that even as I looked, I heard the voice again - very clear, as though right next to me in that corner of the room. Radio? I looked and looked - nothing. I may have heard it a third time. Could find nothing.

I think I heard it one other time - and I definitely decided that I was 'hearing things'. I also mentally told 'the air' that I wasn't interested in hearing this voice again. Time passed. Nothing more.

One day I come home to find my older sister doing a thorough shake-down of the corner where the stereo was set up. She was doing just what I had done - checking out plugs, turning things on and off. "What's up?" I ask. She mumbles, keeps looking. So I take a stab at it - "You heard the man's voice?" She is clearly shaken. Yes she had. I tell her I've heard it, too. "What is it?" Dunno. We have a brief conversation about it. Given my proclivities even at that age - at age 15 I was reading an ancient alchemical text ;) - I pretty much suspected that I had had a clairaudient experience - but that my sister would have the same experience startled me. Rather than get my sister spooked any more than she was I played it down, said it was a fluke.

Sum total: I was clear I didn't want to hear the voice again, and I didn't. My sister, however, having no sense of the possible 'mechanism' at work, was spooked, was disturbed by the phenomenon - and she heard it a few more times - until she developed a blustery attitude about it, convincing herself that it had something to do with an abnormality with the stereo. Maybe. I think other family members heard it - my brother did and he tore the stereo area apart. It was even moved. :)

It may have been a residual haunting. Do you recall what the voice had said? I would be curious to know if the others heard the same words as you did.

Interesting story and thanks for sharing.

It may have been a residual haunting. Do you recall what the voice had said? I would be curious to know if the others heard the same words as you did.

Interesting story and thanks for sharing.

I don't believe I could make out what was being said at the time - which was fine with me. ;) Firstly, the event was unexpected and jolting. Secondly, any repetition was without warning and so unable to be prepared for - in the sense of telling oneself 'I will listen carefully.' What was uniformly the impression was that it was a man speaking in a low gravelly voice just beyond being clear enough to make out what was said. I heard it probably 2 or 3 times and each time I 'cursed it back into the darkness'. :p My sister may have heard it more distinctly - she had more emotional energy around her - but she never admitted to knowing what it said, if anything.

BTW I think it is relevant that 3 of the 4 siblings in the house were teenagers when this was occurring.

What is a 'residual haunting'? The house was built by my parents decades prior and that particular section of the house had been an addition built within 10 years of the phenomenon happening. Meaning, it was a new section of the house.

How does a 'residual haunting' work?

A residual haunting is one which repeats itself multiple times at or around the same time of day or night. Like a tape recorder repeating itself. Some residual haunts come in the form of visual apparitions and some are strictly audio.

If you all heard relatively the same thing each time, then it may have been a residual haunt.

I hope that is helpful to you.

A residual haunting is one which repeats itself multiple times at or around the same time of day or night. Like a tape recorder repeating itself. Some residual haunts come in the form of visual apparitions and some are strictly audio.

If you all heard relatively the same thing each time, then it may have been a residual haunt.

I hope that is helpful to you.

It happened so long ago now that it's hard to piece the chronology together. It did seem to happen always during the day but I couldn't say if it was always at the same time of day. If it had been at other times of the day - like in the night - would it then not be a 'residual haunting'? If not that - then what?

But what would it have been a 'residue' of ? A man talking in that general space once long ago? (Before the addition that corner had been the entry door to the back porch of the house). So a man standing at the door to the back porch speaking? Why would the phenomenon suddenly manifest after years of silence? Adolescent energy?

Last edited:
Residual hauntings can occur at diferent times of the day, it's whether or not the same image or noise is witnessed that makes it residual.

If it's not categorized as residual, then it's an intelligent haunting. Intelligent hauntings are individual spirits or phenomenon that exhibit independent and or spontaneous characteristics that don't follow any particular pattern.

Assuming your experience was in fact related to spirit contact, it could have manifested itself for a number of reasons. For example, the presence of a child or animal could have engaged the spirit in an unknowing way that made it appear. In the alternative, nothing could have sparked the phenomenon. The incident also may have been occurring for months without anyone realizing it.

I hope this is helpful.

Residual hauntings can occur at diferent times of the day, it's whether or not the same image or noise is witnessed that makes it residual.
Understood.
If it's not categorized as residual, then it's an intelligent haunting. Intelligent hauntings are individual spirits or phenomenon that exhibit independent and or spontaneous characteristics that don't follow any particular pattern.
Hmmm...I have a problem with this as 'intelligence'. I guess one would have to qualify what one means by 'intelligence.'
Assuming your experience was in fact related to spirit contact, it could have manifested itself for a number of reasons. For example, the presence of a child or animal could have engaged the spirit in an unknowing way that made it appear. In the alternative, nothing could have sparked the phenomenon. The incident also may have been occurring for months without anyone realizing it.
Very possible. Present in the house was someone who was full-bore clairaudient and clairvoyant - albeit not 'educated', just an experiencer.
I hope this is helpful.
Very much so. Trying to integrate what you say into what I 'know' abstractly. ;)

Tell me - you know how cats will rub up against the leg of someone? We often had the experience of our cats rubbing up against the leg of an invisible someone. It was so clear that the cat thought someone was standing there but there was no one there in the physical. What would you call that? Or how would you categorize that? :)

Tell me - you know how cats will rub up against the leg of someone? We often had the experience of our cats rubbing up against the leg of an invisible someone. It was so clear that the cat thought someone was standing there but there was no one there in the physical. What would you call that? Or how would you categorize that? :)

I'm not sure. Probably just a stupid cat.

Well that's helpful. :rolleyes:
I'm all seriousness, physical apparitions have the potential to manifest themselves using energy at their own disposal. It typically takes a lot of energy to do it though, that's why it doesn't happen every day.

I'm all seriousness, physical apparitions have the potential to manifest themselves using energy at their own disposal. It typically takes a lot of energy to do it though, that's why it doesn't happen every day.
Ok, I think I need some help here at this point in the conversation. What kind of energy are we talking about that the ghosts have access to and how do you know how much energy it takes for them to make themselves manifest?

Ok, I think I need some help here at this point in the conversation. What kind of energy are we talking about that the ghosts have access to and how do you know how much energy it takes for them to make themselves manifest?

I should have done a better job at qualifying my answer as more of a suggestion based on my own personal observations and study of the subject. My mistake.

It is my understanding, through discussions I have had with paranormal investigators and my independent study of the subject, that spirits have the ability to manifest through the use of energy they take from around them. Specifically, heat and the energy which composes it, is taken from the air and objects surrounding the spirit. That is why areas in which paranormal activity occurs is typically followed by cold spells.

The manipulation of this energy permits the spirit to manifest, although it is speculated that it takes a lot of energy to accomplish the task given the spirits obvious lack of a physical, worldly presence in the real world.

Back