• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

February 22, 2015 — Dr. John Brandenburg

This interview would have benefited if it were a debate between Brandenburg and someone who could argue with him at an expert level. I just don't know what to make of the nuclear attack theory.

Maybe Dr B took parts of this particular episode quite lightly while a lot of us were hoping for meatier stuff like he's dished up in the past. The conversation drifted frustratingly at times, but if you read his work, or listen to other appearances he's made both on here and elsewhere (there are a number archived on Don Ecker's site well worth a listen, for example), I'd say the the bloke and his ideas should be taken very seriously. Would love to see him back in the near future for a more in-depth discussion.

I found the show to be quite interesting, though at times the giggling and wandering off on odd tangents to be annoying. Especially when I was waiting to hear the serious answer. The benchmark I use for a guest, in my mind is thus: If it interests me enough to start researching the subject on my own, then he was a success, and it did hook me enough to look around. I would be interested to tune in again to one of his interviews.

I found the show to be quite interesting, though at times the giggling and wandering off on odd tangents to be annoying. Especially when I was waiting to hear the serious answer. The benchmark I use for a guest, in my mind is thus: If it interests me enough to start researching the subject on my own, then he was a success, and it did hook me enough to look around. I would be interested to tune in again to one of his interviews.

Well said. I don't think we can hope to absorb Brandenberg's research by listening to interviews alone. We need to read what he's published.

Well said. I don't think we can hope to absorb Brandenberg's research by listening to interviews alone. We need to read what he's published.

Here is his big paper - its worth a read, or a skim, depending on your science background - http://www.wikipublishinghouse.com/ and search Brandenburg and you can read it in your browser.

Really highlights how little science he chose to go into with Gene and Chris - nonetheless, its all in the paper...

Here is his big paper...Really highlights how little science he chose to go into with Gene and Chris - nonetheless, its all in the paper...
Yeah, good point. If you read the book, he uses NASA's own published data to support his theory of two possible Martian nuclear airbursts—about 400 million years ago. His ideas deserve serious consideration, and it would be nice if he could convey his ideas to non-scientists without all the giggling, yuy-yukking, guffaws and the need to resort to his sci-fi novels for analogies about classified subjects and other topics, etc. Of course, this is only IMHO...

I can believe that there may have been some sort of natural nuclear explosion on or around Mars in the distant past, but to then jump to saying it was caused by a nuclear war between humans is a bit of a stretch to say the least. The so-called face on Mars is also highly dubious and certainly not proof of intelligent life on Mars, and also leaves me wondering why we haven't found any other megalithic structures or buildings. And why construct a 'face' at all? In essence, where are the potsherds? Until something definitive is found, the idea that an advanced civilization capable of building nuclear weapons existed on Mars in the past is nothing more than fantasy. It would be great if proven to be true, but until that time, we're all merely speculating about the what ifs.

Has anyone stopped to ask why an advanced civilization, that has mastered travel between the stars, would use something old fashioned like a nuclear weapon? Wouldn't there be something better by then? Certainly bigger. Why beat up someone no more advanced than ancient Egypt? Perhaps I need to listen again..

Yeah, good point. If you read the book, he uses NASA's own published data to support his theory of two possible Martian nuclear airbursts—about 400 million years ago. His ideas deserve serious consideration, and it would be nice if he could convey his ideas to non-scientists without all the giggling, yuy-yukking, guffaws and the need to resort to his sci-fi novels for analogies about classified subjects and other topics, etc. Of course, this is only IMHO...
I've listened to him elsewhere - he likes a chuckle or two - but with you guys, maybe one wine too many? Not that I care - as I've posted already I've only respect for science types who do this unpopular work for little or no financial gain. Rather him than me....

I can believe that there may have been some sort of natural nuclear explosion on or around Mars in the distant past, but to then jump to saying it was caused by a nuclear war between humans is a bit of a stretch to say the least. The so-called face on Mars is also highly dubious and certainly not proof of intelligent life on Mars, and also leaves me wondering why we haven't found any other megalithic structures or buildings. And why construct a 'face' at all? In essence, where are the potsherds? Until something definitive is found, the idea that an advanced civilization capable of building nuclear weapons existed on Mars in the past is nothing more than fantasy. It would be great if proven to be true, but until that time, we're all merely speculating about the what ifs.

I agree with all of this save for one thing - I've been watching the photos from the latest rover on Mars and I have to say there are some intriguing irregular shapes, some of which look quite metallic, on the surface.

Whilst I understand the tendency to see what we want to see, I'm not overly susceptible to finding patterns that are not there. I can't for the life of me see the alleged "constructions" on the surface of the moon that certain conspiracists have been pushing for the last 20 years. Just looks like a cratered dusty old moon to me. But some of these Mars photos IMHO are in a different category.

I've listened to him elsewhere - he likes a chuckle or two - but with you guys, maybe one wine too many? Not that I care - as I've posted already I've only respect for science types who do this unpopular work for little or no financial gain. Rather him than me....
We taped early in the day... I don't think alcohol was involved. John is an interesting guy. I hung out with him last June at the AUP conference in IL. He came across like a big, patient kid; really enthusiastic but a bit uncomfortable engaging w/ non-scientist types. He could probably gain from some coaching and the honing his communication skills—especially w/ us lowly neophytes. :0

Bottomline? If anybody thinks he's just a fantasy-prone goofball— boy, IMO are you WRONG! He appears to me to be the real deal... OK, perhaps he could use some advise on how to be a more effective verbal communicator, but so what. His iconoclastic work is out-of-the-box and groundbreaking and in my neophyte "non-rocket scientist" opinion, he may be on to something...

. He came across like a big, patient kid; really enthusiastic but a bit uncomfortable engaging w/ non-scientist types. He could probably gain from some coaching and the honing his communication skills—especially w/ us lowly neophytes. :0
Perhaps he should have a talk with Ray Standford. Ray just will not have contact with people he does not respect. Both him and us would be better off.

I liked the show, even though I think Brandenburg made a lot of conjecture's regarding his theory. I'm also not part of the R. Hoagland bandwagon by any means, but I personally believe that at one point, Mars did have life on it. It's just a personal belief I have - I have no proof, It's a gut feeling. Come at me guys! LET'S GO! :D I think it's pretty much accepted in the science community that the red planet had a early start regarding it's formation because of it's size. Based just on that, it's not a stretch to assume that life could have started much earlier than on Earth if it had water - and there is much evidence to suggest it did have large amounts of it, at some point. Now how advanced was that life on the red planet is another big question, and what exactly happened to that life?

On a side note, If there is anything on Mars that gets my attention visually - that I would love to see in real life and investigate, it's that damn so called, D&M pyramid.

d&m23.jpg

It looks artificial, or man made to me. This photo alone would make me want to go to Mars and see what the eff is over there.

I don't believe he's doing it to make a fortune from his books, why would he risk his credibility? As most of you know, authors don't get rich by selling books. That's rare, especially in this topic. He's got holes in his theory, but I want to know more. I was intrigued enough with the show to buy his book and see what interesting idea's he came up with. I encourage you all to do the same before making up your mind and slamming him out right. Gene and Chris - keep up the good work!

Last edited:
As much as I love Dr. Brandenburg and his enthusiasm and great sense of humour. Nothing irks me more than a learned man who cannot pronounce Nuclear correctly ! It's not that hard NEW-CLEAR. That's it. Not NEW-CULAR . Ok rant over. love you Dr. B

Back