• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Favorite X-Files Episode

My favorite involved the MIB with Jesse Ventura, Alex Trebek, and Charles Nelson Reilly as the ultra creepy author. Was it "Jose Chung From Outer Space"?

Anasazi and Blessing Way were two of my favorite ufo/conspiracy episodes, and Home just scared me half to death. It was the only episode I ever truly regretted watching alone. :)

I can fess up to having watched every episode at least once. Who says I need a life? My overall impression is that roughly one third of X-files episodes are mostly gratuitous gore, about a third are good solid entertainment, and the remaining third are minor masterpieces. Personal mileage will no doubt vary.

Since I recently rewatched the entire series, I was amazed how many episodes one or more of the main characters are dying/dead/in a hospital. Also, another common theme seemed to be "Vietnam vet comes back from the dead/is invisible/has mind powers and kills his commanding officers".

Tooms, Home and Confesssions of a Cigarette Smoking Man are in my tops. Jose Chung and the cockroach episode are some of my favourite humorous episodes. I also loved the sense of longing, loss and memory that many of the core mythos episodes dealing with Aliens and UFO contact evoked. There were great moments of intensity, horror and mystery that the show was able to conjure up on a regular basis. I never had so much fun since Twin Peaks went off the air. But truly, I was more captivated by "Millennium", Carter's next tv effort. I really wish that show was allowed to properly run its course.

Since I recently rewatched the entire series, I was amazed how many episodes one or more of the main characters are dying/dead/in a hospital. Also, another common theme seemed to be "Vietnam vet comes back from the dead/is invisible/has mind powers and kills his commanding officers".

Well, what do you do when you have a programme slot to fill every week. Plot hooks are bound to get reused.

After having watched the first 4 seasons, I was thinking, maybe they should have ended the TV series then and there and turn the X-files it into a cinematic series (like 007 or the Star Trek movies). They had such good writers back then (see the episodes mentioned in this thread). The movies which ended up being made later were not half as good IMO as some of the earlier episodes (I apologize if there were some outstanding scripts later on, although I've seen bits and pieces of the later episodes, I never really got past season 5 or so).

I can fess up to having watched every episode at least once. Who says I need a life? My overall impression is that roughly one third of X-files episodes are mostly gratuitous gore, about a third are good solid entertainment, and the remaining third are minor masterpieces. Personal mileage will no doubt vary.

Welcome to x-philes anonimous. You can tell us everything. ;)

And I think these percentages sound about right, maybe the masterpieces are even a little less. But I think there were definitely a few major ones.

Last edited:
Not sure the name of it, but the one where they did the Xfiles/Cops cross over. It was filmed like an episode of Cops, which I used to really enjoy. It's not that the episode was really engaging, frightening, or anything like that, it was just quirky how they filmed it.

Not sure the name of it, but the one where they did the Xfiles/Cops cross over. It was filmed like an episode of Cops, which I used to really enjoy. It's not that the episode was really engaging, frightening, or anything like that, it was just quirky how they filmed it.

That episode was "X-cops" and it got a lot of praise by critics for the creative concept. It wasn't particularly frightening, but I thought it was cool how each witness saw their own fear manifested.

Back