• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

EVPs

hmmmm no responses, i wonder if its the topic or just me that smells

ive finished the experiment, and while i did get phrases using this software, nothing in the data suggests anything other than phonetic co-incidence. a million monkeys at a million typewriters......

i think my old magic 8 ball is more reliable

hey there Mike,
I wanted to have time to research this before I posted, but I never did, so here it is in all it's fabulous nebulousness....isn't there a theory about EVP's or backmasking that some of the voice imprints are really the subconscience "talking" to the conscious mind? I remember reading/seeing something about it (several years ago) with regards to voice analysis and lie detecting. Maybe you're just talking to yourself ; )

thanks Jose and Raevenskye
yes im certain that factors into the data, the words and phrases i heard during my experiments were very clear, much clearer than some of the examples ive recently heard. but i put this down to using as suggested my own voice as the sample/carrier.
essentially using the standard settings that came with the software my sample gets broken into 8 millisecond chunks and they then get randomly spliced. the "theory" is the intellect behind the phenomena somehow influences the random generator to create phrases.
i can see where the results would be compelling to some. the same applies to operator specific words, the phrase "captain scarlet" is as clear as a bell,(to me) as is another which says "PHD, thats brilliant !".
i presented the sample i did because it seems to have the same phrase repeated twice but with different inflections, im sure those who believe would say that the chances of identical phrases inside a 10 second sample rules out random chance.
but the instructions also make note of PK (or TK)and its effect on random number generators, which would validate your explaination nicely

as i said i definatly get phrases, so i recommend trying the software for experiments sake, and i definatly got the best results using my own voice as carrier/sample which to me rules out PK (i should have been able to rearrange the phonetic chunks from say welsh or persian radio, which i sampled, into phrases. i didnt, not every session resulted in phrases being recorded)

i was in no way cynical about the experiment and approaced it with a balance of open mindedness and scientific evaluation of the results. and at times i felt like an electric witch doctor, trying to "invoke" entities into the machine, the downloading of the software ,reading of manual and preparation of sample and settings could easily be considered "part of the ritual" but ultimatly my magic 8 ball seems more user friendly if one is looking for a tool to speak to someone/thing "out there"

I think it's a totally cool experiement to do. Have you tried asking direct questions, and seeing what responses you get? Maybe the next phase is to record, and then have a disineterested party review the recordings...see what they come up with vs. what you hear.

i did ask some specific questions and these were usually the ones where nothing concrete came back relating to the question
i also had my wife listen to some of the sessions when she got home and she could hear the phrases but like me her conclusions were random phonetic coincidence.

are you doing your experiments in your home, or going to some ghostly place? maybe it makes a difference if things are walking around or not. i do think that some EVP's are "real", but 9 times out of 10, i can't hear the words until someone says, "this is what is says"...then i can make it out...power of suggestion stuff. i think you should keep at it, try it in different places, different moon phases, etc. who knows....you might find the clue!

at home, and again im getting definate words and phrases, but nothing that convinces me im "communicating" with something

i thought about upping the ante with a fully ritualised version of the experiment, candles, incense ritual bath and meditation etc.
there are any number of time honoured traditions one could add to the mix, but for me the superstition factor detracts from the scientific and in some way invalidates the results. the subconcious is a funny thing and i wanted to keep this experiment as uncluttered as possible.

i ended up using windows to deinstall the program, i then did a system cleanup and restored the PC to a point prior to installing the software, a full banishing some might say... which reminds me of a funny story

a piece of ritual magick or spell i was once shown.

its called the lessor banishing of the loo and its used to get rid of trouble in ones life.

the altar is prepared with the lid to the great portal in the closed position as befits a device of such power.
a wand is placed either left or right of the altar, as are special elements neccessary for the great work.

one starts with the special parchment onto which the nature of your trouble is written,(the parchment usually hangs on a roll next to the portal) the parchment can be folded or scrunched as is your preferance. the lid of the portal is raised slowly while intoning the word of power "haaaaaaarpiiiiiiiiic"
done properly you should feel the word vibrating from the solar plexus
the parchment is then flung into the portal along with a squirt of harpic toilet cleaner.
one then depresses the button (or jerks chain) of the portal whilst waving the wand 3 times over it before plunging the wand/brush into the bowl and intoning the word Aaaaaaaa Jaaaaaax.
where apon one sprinkles ajax into the bowl and returns the wand to its holder.

the problem as written on the parchment will like it, disapear.

smirks aside its a classic example of "sympathetic magic" and for me as a focus it makes no more or less sense than the time honoured traditions one finds in the literature

ritualising the process might give better data (or it might not) but then the auto suggestion factor goes through the roof rendering (imho) the data useless

ive no doubt that the software and computer could be considered as valid an object of "focus" as say a crystal ball , just as a toilet can be used in the lessor banishing of the loo, but results are not something i can be comfortable with, for me the more ritualised the experiment the greater the auto suggest factor becomes.

im hoping all and all my "mindset" in relation to the experiment was as balanced as it could be

The problem with this software is this is virtually the same as me teaching a Parrot to talk and having it repeat the words back to me.

Is the parrot a portal to the other side or is it just repeating words I have taught it?

Has ANYONE on the forum captured any kind of EVP?

I have had ZERO luck in that regard. Then again, if I were being haunted with my luck the ghosts would just stay quiet and do nothing.

Maybe you should ask them a trick question?

I think it's funny how people can capture an EVP yet never actually get a ghost to speak as much as a couple of very questionable words. Also, why can;t people capture EVP on high end gear?

I'd give my left arm to get an EVP that begins with me asking "Tell us about yourself" and then ending an hour later with me saying "Geez man, do you ever shut up?"

Hi I just joined this site a little while ago and I have been studying the occult and all things unexplainable for quite awhile now, I find it very compelling that someone wrote that the science and government communities do not want us to know about the real deal or how much they really know. I agree, especially the scientific comm. They are a highly secretive bunch of paranoids who like to guard their secrets well. Very jealous crew. Anyway with all the sightings evidence and private peoples testemony, they all can't be wrong. With the amount of poeple reporting sightings of everything from ghosts to u.f.o's to e.v.p.'s,even a hardline skeptic would have trouble denying that there are things we know nothing about but its out there. Y ou could be sitting on a bus or standing in line at dunkin donuts with an alien, who really knows for sure? Just wanted to introduce myself Hello. Alucard

Great to have you onboard Alucard

Hardline skeptics have no problem denying anything because no one is able to present facts and genuine evidence. A true skeptic has belief, they simply require proof. If you can present something that is undeniable, then a true skeptic will accept it. That's when belief becomes fact. You can;t argue with fact but I can argue about popular speculation and assumptions stated as fact till the cows come home. People who simply refuse to believe are the cynics. I don't waste my time with them. In fact, I tend to think cynics and hardline believers are walking down the same dead end road...just on opposite sides of the street.

I don't agree that the scientific community is a bunch of secretive paranoids who like to guard their secrets. Scientists fall under scrutiny from their peers all the time on a regular basis. This is because they present their findings for scrutiny in order to progress. If anything, scientists are sick to death of pointing out flaws in experiments that are being conducted or lack of scientific method when people state they are using it. I know people who have gone through years to get their credentials only to be told they don;t know what they are talking about by a guy holding an EMF meter.

Unfortunately, multiple sightings and testimony isn't good enough in most cases. Plenty of people have EVPs, photographs & video footage but most fall short of the protocols required to present this as evidence. I will admit, when a city full of witnesses see a large, strange object in the sky that is shown on live TV, then that would constitute as an example of a well documented case with merit. Kind of sucks because it's hard to pick through the bullshit in search of valid cases and no one likes to be told what they saw wasn't real...including myself.

The government is alleged to be behind a lot of black ops or disinformation and I'll agree with that argument. I guess when there's money to be made, people will be left in the dark. You also have to take into consideration the amount of disinformation in our own community. People doctoring footage, images, audio etc. They aren't doing anything to benefit anyone but themselves.

When it comes to the paranormal, I think there's more bullshit than truth.

I believe in UFO's, Alien cultures, Ghosts etc...but it's time to weed out the bullshit. The truth may very well be a little more boring, but at least it will be the truth.

For those who believe, no proof is necessary; for those who don't believe, no proof is enough-Tom Ogden, An Idiots Guide to Ghosts and Hauntings. So far I have found this to be very true. I am new to the board and I am very intrigued. I believe EVP's are very possible, there is so much we still don't understand fully. I totally believe ghosts/spirits exist, one lives in my house. When they want to communicate, they do.

mystikchick said:
For those who believe, no proof is necessary; for those who don't believe, no proof is enough-Tom Ogden, An Idiots Guide to Ghosts and Hauntings. So far I have found this to be very true. I am new to the board and I am very intrigued. I believe EVP's are very possible, there is so much we still don't understand fully. I totally believe ghosts/spirits exist, one lives in my house. When they want to communicate, they do.

VERY true...and I was just thinking about what Jose wrote about "protocols"....isn't it funny how when you're all "juiced up" and following protocols, and doing everything by the book...you get...an orb...when you snap an offhand pix, you get a face in a mirror. I know sometimes it's really nothing, but often, it doesn't seem to matter about preparation...they show when they want to, or when they can.
I've fallen down on the job regarding EVP's, but I sure have heard some talking, laughing, and singing in my house in the past week.

My latest EVP experiment has yielded nothing at all.

However... after a friend of mine passed on in February, my cat gave a tour of the house to an imaginary friend he was talking to. I'm not kidding. The cat was walking around the house looking up like he was following something around the house, and talking as cats do.

Very strange indeed.

Tommy Allison said:
My latest EVP experiment has yielded nothing at all.

However... after a friend of mine passed on in February, my cat gave a tour of the house to an imaginary friend he was talking to. I'm not kidding. The cat was walking around the house looking up like he was following something around the house, and talking as cats do.

Very strange indeed.

that's really cool...maybe he was showing your friend the ropes!
"and here's the bathroom...but don't leave the towels on the floor...Tommy really hates that..."

I think it would be more like, the fridge is where they keep the tuna salad. Why don't you open it up and I'll help myself.

Question: Why don't your hear EVPs on TV shows and movies at the cinema? Why is it that you only get EVPs on crappy little voice recorders on not on high end audio equipment? We have hundreds of hours of audio on a Zoom H4, Tascam units and my little Marantz Superscope. All using high quality broadcast mics. Not a single EVP after 13 episodes that went to air nationally. Not one.

Then I throw an iTalk on an iPod which records at a whopping 19kbps/mono/MP3 (Apple standard on iPod software) and I get what appears to be EVPs which people class as Class A and B. Meanwhile, I have the exact same model iPod, with the same iTalk model...only this time I opt for an external mic of higher quality and run Podzilla so I can get audio at 96kbps/stereo/WAV...and I get nothing. Do spirits discriminate against technology or is it simply the compression, crap mic and low recording rate that appeals to them? I repeated this over and over...then switched the iPods. Same result every time.

I think that if EVP were a genuine phenomena, then they should appear more on high end gear. Unfortunately, my experience shows it doesn't which makes me question it even exists.

Gwops said:
I am positive that EVP works if you want to record messages from the spirit world.
The crux, however, is that you will be in doubt even if you have recorded them.
And if one needs to edit the hell out of a recording to hear a word or even a snatch of a message,
it does not make much sense to me. If there is a spirit out there, I know spirits/ghosts exist, and it really wants to
communicate, I'd ask this spirit to try harder.

What I find rather ludicrous is that people say there is a certain risk asking spirits to respond.
Sorry, I am so open-minded but if something really wants come after you, it won't wait until you start to record them.

Regards,
Gwops
Hi, Alucard here. I believe you are correct, if something wants to get you thet don;t need an invitation and they will get you ass if thats their intetion.However we also must be acutly aware that by using such things as an ouji board or seances we are invitning demons not just spirits or ghosts the latter of the two I believe cannot harm you but a demon was never human and was made by someone with strong occult popwers and a demon is made for one reason; to possess the person its after so it can do its makers bidding. A demon is quite stupid unless its directed by its maker and if the maker can get the demon to possess you then you are under the makers control not neccesarily the demons control, my whole point being is why tempt fate by calling out to an entitie and inviting it into our dimension?I firmly believe that the only way a demon can enter our realm is by one of us inviting it and opening up a channell for which it can enter and possess, without possession it is basically useless so what it usually does is figure out who in the family is the most susceptable to being possessed and go after them until it gains that persons trust then little by little it turns that person against the rest of its family and then complete possession. I have been studying all facets of the occult for avor thirty years now. I will write more later because i think I can contribute a lot and my advice to anyone starting out studying this stuff is to do way more listening than talking because you can't learn if you are talking so bo really openminded and aks questions read and listen listen listen. Alucard

Back