• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

EVPs

L

legrand

Hi I was curious about what all of you think about EVPs. From what I have read we are allowed to mention other podcasts since Dave & Gene are so kind. The podcast Haunted New Jersey.com has a real long and quite scary EVP in which a guy went to a castle in the UK and hooked up some kind of electrical voltage into the walls and recorded in the hall. I think it is their 3rd podcast but I could be wrong. Like most paranormal subjects I have not formed a concrete decision on EVPs but I do find them cool.

I'm wanting James Randi and Lou Gentile to get to the evp experiment they've been talking about (and around) for close to a year now.

Science doesn't treat evp kindly, and so, little science is done with it. Scientist want it proven before they look into it. They have it backwards.

EVP is easy to prove if you have enough people (and time) involved and in on the controls. Why this and NDE research is deader than a ghost is beyond me.

Here's some software and info. for those interested in trying to capture evps on their computer.

Evp Maker. This is what I used. It's free and easy to use.
EVPmaker by Stefan Bion  http

There's different versions out there, so just do a search if you need something else.

Other links on evp etc.

EVP Software Analysis

Audacity

Electronic voice phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ghost EVP

I haven't tried in awhile, but spent quite a bit of time in the past trying to capture evps via the evpmaker and audio and video cams. I used to go to grave yards with my audio recorder and video cam. I wasn't successful. But, I didn't get into all the sound/noise filters software etc. If a ghost wants to speak with me, I wanted it to be loud and clear. I don't care to listen to a quiet ghost. After experiencing much of what I have with the paranormal, most evps bore me. So, I wanted a ghost that knew how to come through in a reliable fashion. Similar to the ones the ITC people claimed to have been in contact with. I linked to some info. on their findings in another thread. The thread dealing with Spiricom I think.

I don't buy EVP. I think people hear what they want to hear.

An example of sorts: A few years ago on one of those paranormal shows (SIGHTINGS and that sort) was a "recording" of a supposed alien speaking to an abductee during an abduction (aquired via a tape recorder set on a timer in her bedside table or something). They played the audio twice and it sounded like... well, nothing. To me, it sounded like a creaking door, or a chair being dragged across hard would flooring, not even remotely like speech. They then replayed the track but added the subtitle "Don't wake up" along the bottom of the screen. Suddenly I could hear it! But wait... a second ago it was garbled noise. My brain refused to reconcile the apparently meaningless sound with the now dominant speech.

That's EVP to me. You listen to it long enough and if you're EXPECTING to hear something (and let's face it, if you set up the tape, you are) then you're bound to get something, even if it's just the foundation settling...

A lot of evps I hear are either fakes or something paranormal. There's no equivalent to just seeing face in the clouds with much of the evps. Run a search and listen around. Maybe check out the ITC links I posted in the Spiricom thread. There's tons of clear evp that takes no strain to understand. This is not an argument for it being legit, only that there exist a lot of evps that leave little, if any room, for a sane person to hear something other than what everyone else does and can.

A.LeClair said:
Here's some software and info. for those interested in trying to capture evps on their computer.

Evp Maker. This is what I used. It's free and easy to use.
EVPmaker by Stefan Bion  http

There's different versions out there, so just do a search if you need something else.

Other links on evp etc.

EVP Software Analysis

Audacity

Electronic voice phenomenon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ghost EVP

I haven't tried in awhile, but spent quite a bit of time in the past trying to capture evps via the evpmaker and audio and video cams. I used to go to grave yards with my audio recorder and video cam. I wasn't successful. But, I didn't get into all the sound/noise filters software etc. If a ghost wants to speak with me, I wanted it to be loud and clear. I don't care to listen to a quiet ghost. After experiencing much of what I have with the paranormal, most evps bore me. So, I wanted a ghost that knew how to come through in a reliable fashion. Similar to the ones the ITC people claimed to have been in contact with. I linked to some info. on their findings in another thread. The thread dealing with Spiricom I think.

I've now gotten a couple of EVPs. I don't care that they're quiet. Mine were whispers but clear English words that couldn't be mistaken for noise. They sounded like they were spoken through a different microphone, like they were overdubbed on my tape. My questions are, what exactly is going on? Do these spirits follow everything we're doing, and know when to come in? Why are most EVPs just a word or two? And if these voices are happening around us, could they be intruding on our subconscious? Could they be the reason some places have a good or bad vibe?

If I may add something to the discussion...

This is something that's sorta irked me for a while. Not the subject matter, not the possibility...the method of acquisition. Now, let me say that I'm not intending to bag on anybody's material, and I have heard EVP's that seem quite compelling. But bear with me for a sec.

EVP guy: "Hey I've got this EVP that's pretty cool."

Me: "EVP huh?"

EVP guy: "Yep. Hear this? That's me right there, and then you can hear the EVP. See?"

Me: "Hmmm...yep. And you didn't hear that at the time you made the recording?"

EVP guy: "Nope."

Me: "Well, how did it get there?"

EVP guy: "...well...the recorder is picking up electrical impulses from the surrounding energy and putting it on the recording."

Me: "Hmmm...OK..."

Fair enough. If we assume for the sake of argument that a ghost, spirit, disembodied entity, what-have-you, is some kind of energetic manifestation and that you can presumably detect them by electrical means, then it also stands to reason that one method of communication open to them is "speech" through an electrostatic or electromagnetic medium. In the same manner that we use our vocal cords to vibrate the air, they use their whatever-they-have to impress vibrations electrically at audio frequencies (20-20KHz). Seems reasonable, doesn't it? I've even heard it stated that you get better EVP results when using an external microphone, which would be more apt to pick up noise on its feed line.

So, here comes the punchline. Has anybody tried to do this with anything other than an audio microphone? I mean something like a big loop of wire and a capacitor, something that you could tune to resonate at audio frequencies. It seems to me that you could get super-cool results while eliminating other noise. Now, I'll be the first to admit that there may be difficulties. 60Hz is going to jump out like crazy, but that can be removed in post-processing. 17KHz from a TV is likely. But you won't hear any of that out in a graveyard, if that's what ring's your bell.

So how about it? Anyone? Anyone? Beuler?

SnakeOil said:
So, here comes the punchline. Has anybody tried to do this with anything other than an audio microphone? I mean something like a big loop of wire and a capacitor, something that you could tune to resonate at audio frequencies. It seems to me that you could get super-cool results while eliminating other noise. Now, I'll be the first to admit that there may be difficulties. 60Hz is going to jump out like crazy, but that can be removed in post-processing. 17KHz from a TV is likely. But you won't hear any of that out in a graveyard, if that's what ring's your bell.

This sounds interesting. I wouldn't have the faintest idea how to even start making this kind of contraption. Why don't you make it, Snake? Give it a try. It would be great to be able to record EVPs without background noises.

Most of the stuff I hear is crap, maybe because it is always on the internet or a podcast and is a recording of a recording. Some stuff is so amazing it has to be real or a deliberate fraud.

I can certainly make it, but I don't have the time or means to test it. I'd wanna get it into somebody's hands that was going to take it out someplace (or many someplaces) that's likely to get a result. It would also be good to test it side by side with a regular audio recorder. Lastly, it probably won't be easy to manage for any kind of mobile investigation. It'll likely be a big-ish coil of wire that you'd have to lay out or drape over something. Sorry, but the bigger the coil, the better chances of success. Although tuning the circuit to 2KHz or so will give it some gain and somewhat offset the smaller size.

So how about it? Any takers?

SnakeOil said:
I can certainly make it, but I don't have the time or means to test it. I'd wanna get it into somebody's hands that was going to take it out someplace (or many someplaces) that's likely to get a result. It would also be good to test it side by side with a regular audio recorder. Lastly, it probably won't be easy to manage for any kind of mobile investigation. It'll likely be a big-ish coil of wire that you'd have to lay out or drape over something. Sorry, but the bigger the coil, the better chances of success. Although tuning the circuit to 2KHz or so will give it some gain and somewhat offset the smaller size.

So how about it? Any takers?

Hell I'll try it. Like I said in another post, my new shop is on the grounds of a Haunted Civil War Inn, with many reports of spirit manifestations.

jritzmann said:
Hell I'll try it. Like I said in another post, my new shop is on the grounds of a Haunted Civil War Inn, with many reports of spirit manifestations.

Holy cow! Given the paranormal creds of your new location, you'll probably be getting some EVPs on your fillings! :p

jritzmann said:

Ack - somebody bit. I guess I'll have to really build it then. Alright, gimme a couple of days to figure out what I'm going to do. Actually, I might have a couple for you to try. What's it going to plug into, specifically? 1/8th stereo? Let me know and I'll make it happen.

SnakeOil said:
What's it going to plug into, specifically?

That'd work for me, but I also just bought an Olympus Digital voice recorder that was recommended by Steve at TAPS. I'll have to see what kind of mic inputs it has. That'd be ideal. He also recommended an Ion generator, but warned they could be dangerous in the way of shocking you.

By the way, dont be in any hurry. I'll be at this place a long time, and will be doing alot of EVP and digital video.

Ion generator? Hmm...I wonder why he said that. More chartged particles in the air to serve as a catalyst?

This is a good time for me to do it anyway. I reached a milestone in another project tonight, so I can dit on my laurels for a bit and do something more relaxing. It's not really a lot of work, anyway. Just gotta find a couple of plugs that aren't doing anything.

I spent some time yesterday working up a tuned circuit. It's tuned all right, but the inductor is too loose and it's not very sensitive. I'll try wrapping another one tonight, and I'll build a preamp for it as well. Hey, if you're gonna do it, you might as well do it right.

I might have something together by the end of the week or so.

SnakeOil said:

I have recently heard that some are using a piece of hardware that uses a germanium diode as a mic element. I am still checking into it. Are you guys familiar with the work of Frank Sumption.

I'm not. Although I do a search and it turns up some stuff, but I can't find something quick and simple to read. Can you summarize?

Regarding the Ge diode...I'm trying to imagine the significance, and I'm not seeing it. It's got a lower forward voltage drop that Si, but other than that...? I'd very much like to hear the theory of operation. Is it somehow supposed to eb demodulating the "ghost voice"?

There's a free evp recorder called evp maker on the net. I'll find a link if you're interested and can't find it yourself. I've used it many times, and haven't been successful.

I've also tried with camcorders and audio recorders in cemeteries, my house (which isn't haunted, but tried anyway) many times. I've never been successful with that either.

I'm interested in any evps that members have recorded. Feel free to share details, or the actual recording with me, if interested. You can pm me if you rather not post it here.

Raevenskye, have you got any?

I haven't, but I also haven't tried that often. I never seem to be in the right "frame of mind" to just do it. I'll be going on vacation next week tho, so maybe I'll give it a shot in my house :)eek:) and see what happens!

Back