• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Don Ecker Show

I'm not sure if your comment is a sideways one or not, but in either case it points up a deficiency in my answer, so thank you. What I should have added is this: The original account of this recruiter and potential recruit is that he said you could make $60 per hour getting out. The post also said how amused military (i.e.: knoweldgeable) people were that he said that. The implication, at least the way I read it, is that the recruiter was a liar and that this is proven completely by knowledgeable people who have been in that situation. Fair so far?

I just accidentally happen to be aware that what the recruiter said is possible. Indeed, he is uncannily accurate. He's right on the money. He's not off by $5.00 either way. So what is missing in the story about the recruiter is the context, and without that context we cannot accurately judge the story.

Now, if the context is that this potential recruit were interested in becoming a M1A1 Abrams tank driver, a postal clerk, or a 'culinary expert' (tossing mashed potatoes around for 5,000 guys on a carrier), then, indeed, the recruiter is a liar, pure and simple, and the original post on the story stands as completely true as written. The conclusion is justified.

However, if the context is that this potential recruit were interested in, say, foreign languages, had learned two already in high school to the point of proficiency, and scored extremely high on the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery) and was interested in learning Farsi (that would be the language spoken predominantely in Iran), then the recruiter turns out to be amazingly well informed, is absolutely 100% truthful, and the original post on the story as written is completely false. The conclusion is not justified.

Without the context we don't have the information necessary to make an informed decision.

It wasn't a sideways comment. I sort of dropped out of the discussion because I didn't want to say that my friend is of average intelligence and she told me that she didn't do particularly well on whatever preliminary testing it is that they give you. I'm not sure what role she was applying for but I'm pretty certain it was a basic one.

I don't doubt that recruits who can pick up Farsi or other specialized knowledge during their military career can and do go on to make $60 per hour in the private sector -- your daughter being one example. But I'm sure this is the exception among the general population of recruits, not the rule -- however, it was presented to my friend as the rule. (And she still believes it.)

I'm not surprised to hear that the $60/hr figure is extraordinarily accurate. Most of the best lies have a current of truth in there somewhere.

. But I'm sure this is the exception among the general population of recruits, not the rule -- however, it was presented to my friend as the rule. (And she still believes it.)

I'm not surprised to hear that the $60/hr figure is extraordinarily accurate. Most of the best lies have a current of truth in there somewhere.

Thanks for your clarification, and I agree it is exceptional. But it's not just languages. Any intelligence work, including analysts with no language proficiency at all, as well as highly technical skills in great demand fall into this category. Nuclear power is another one in the Navy. In these days of an all-volunteer force, you go in with a contract as valid as any in the commercial world. If you qualify and do your part, they must adhere to the contractual obligation. For someone who is savvy enough to realize the issues up front, they can go a long way to getting themselves into the appropriate billet. Of course, the schools for these specialties are some of the most difficult you will ever find anywhere, so if you drop out, you 'go to the fleet,' in which case, you're screwed. Also, if you just decide to enlist and figure out what you are going to do during boot camp, you might be screwed, too. I think it is fair to say that most 18 year olds aren't that savvy unless they have someone who can help them out (NOT a recruiter).

Even then, it might turn out okay. I went in just like that, applied for what I thought I wanted, and got it. Of course, that wasn't really what I wanted, but I can't blame the service for that. With my daughter, I accidentally (once again) got her into her field of speciality (which isn't Farsi, btw,) by an off-hand comment I made when she came home with enlistment papers, much to my surprise, as I had already paid several hundred dollars in college enrollment fees for her. Little shit!

I am acquainted with the two-star Admiral who is in charge of recruiting for the entire USA (probably 'was' by now). I had a long chat with him about educational opportunities available and I must say they are just incredible these days. There are so many programs that can get you clear through college and beyond that all you have to do is apply and get your act together.

I watched a few Lazar vids on youtube last night. I really dont know about this guy. Im definitely leaning towards 'bullshit artist'.

Its his "9 UFOs" story that doesnt sound right to me. Lazar claims the military has 9 models theyre working on at S4 (sport model, top hat etc), all with different shapes. It doesnt make sense to me that they would bother with that. Why would they go to the trouble of making 9 circular disks with slightly different shape? What would be the point?

Surely all that matters is the propulsion system. The shapes have no bearing on aerodynamics so we know that wouldnt be a motivation for the creating 9 models.

I feel like Lazar has just drawn from the the bank of UFO sightings out there in an attempt to add credibility to his story

What would be the point?

What's the point in all the different kinds of vehicles that "we" have?

• Could be that certain models are designed to carry specific types of cargo.
  • Could be that some models hold more / less "aliens" (and who knows why they would be grouped in certain ways among themselves... coupla super captains in one, a bunch of idiot newbs in another, some with a certain disease in one, who knows).
  • Could be that some were made by one bunch, others another bunch.
  • Could be that they just have "flair"!

I watched a few Lazar vids on youtube last night. I really dont know about this guy. Im definitely leaning towards 'bullshit artist'.

I feel like Lazar has just drawn from the the bank of UFO sightings out there in an attempt to add credibility to his story

I really think, judging from Lazar's behavior, he is either telling the truth or is some sort of government disinfo-type person. I lean towards the second one.

I say this because in my opinion there are recognizable psychological traits associated with people who make up ufo stories. People who go through the effort of concocting an elaborate ufo story are generally "personalities" who are very attracted to being seen and heard. Because of this, when they realize their story has hooked the public, they take some sort of action in order to keep them hooked.

Lazar entered the public awareness, said his piece, and left. He did not write a book, start a ufo website, or take up some sort of alien consulting job ala Jim Sparks. He was in the public spotlight for a short while, he could have easily done any of these things and made money from them.

His behavior, in my mind, runs contrary to the behavior of someone who would take the effort to make up an elaborate story and go public with it.

But there are problems with his story as people like Stanton Friedman have pointed out. Which is why I think he is spreading disinformation for someone else.

However, I think that these "government disinfo" people are almost always including truth in their lies, in order to make the lies more palatable. I think it's worthwhile to hear what they have to say without swallowing anything, and cross-reference their info with what others say in order to extract the truthful parts.

Yeah you could be onto something there Brandon. I mean disinfo literally needs truth mixed in or its just misinfo.

As an example, based on what I was saying earlier, maybe they dont have '9 different model of flying disk' out there (which honestly sounds absurd), but they do have 1 craft theyre working on based on recovered tech. And lets say it looks like the sport model.

So the info gets out there and the military can in one sense gauge reaction, while at the same time render the story unbelievable for 97.8% of the population based on some of the more extreme facts of the story.

And call me a fool, but I actually believe John Lear when he says Lazar took them out to the desert and they saw a disk shaped craft using exotic tech. I dont buy ANYTHING else he spews, but that little factoid sits comfortably with me.

What's the point in all the different kinds of vehicles that "we" have?

• Could be that certain models are designed to carry specific types of cargo.
  • Could be that some models hold more / less "aliens" (and who knows why they would be grouped in certain ways among themselves... coupla super captains in one, a bunch of idiot newbs in another, some with a certain disease in one, who knows).
  • Could be that some were made by one bunch, others another bunch.
  • Could be that they just have "flair"!

No you misunderstood what I was saying. Lazar's story is these are not alien craft. These are human craft using reverse engineered alien tech. What Im saying whats the point of humans making all these different shapes in an effort to nail down the propulsion tech.

Sounds silly to me.

I think it's worthwhile to hear what they have to say without swallowing anything, and cross-reference their info with what others say in order to extract the truthful parts.

I have gotten caught up in doing this myself. But I think it's totally crazymaking, and I think this is one of many reasons that people in this field often go slowly insane or start believing truly outlandish things.

There just has to be a better way of getting at the truth.

Doesnt anyone else think that John Lear is a disinformation agent. some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth seems like a really bad joke, or a lazy disinformation campaign, if there is a agency behind this they must not have to try very hard to discredit the field since the UFO community does all the work for them.

Doesnt anyone else think that John Lear is a disinformation agent. some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth seems like a really bad joke, or a lazy disinformation campaign, if there is a agency behind this they must not have to try very hard to discredit the field since the UFO community does all the work for them.

I don't favor the disinfo agent angle over the idea he's just a mooshy head. But in the end, I can't prove he is not one.

I always say the Gov. doesn't need to do much to make this field look silly. Silly citizens do a good enough job of it. I'm aware some people have reportedly gave disinfo. I don't think it's as rampant as many people think however.

A lot of people think I smoke pot heavily because I have long hair. They're wrong. Just because someone fits a perceived mold, isn't prove they are of it. So to conclude Lear is a disinfo agent on that bases alone, is a lot like something Lear would do. Jump to conclusions. Now if there's evidence for it, I'm unaware of it.

I always say the Gov. doesn't need to do much to make this field look silly. Silly citizens do a good enough job of it. I'm aware some people have reportedly gave disinfo. I don't think it's as rampant as many people think however.

A lot of people think I smoke pot heavily because I have long hair. They're wrong. Just because someone fits a perceived mold, isn't prove they are of it.

I totally agree with you.

And you probably smoke pot heavily cause you really like it not because you have long hair.:D

Lear is nothing more than an old fool. Seriously. He might be a great pilot, but he's also a psychotic lunatic. To say he's some sort of government-sanctioned disinfo agent is assigning him far more importance than he deserves, IMO.

dB

It was suppose to be a joke ,a bad joke, but a joke none the less. I tend not to believe that there many disinformation agents, the only time that they would Intervene and inject disinformation is when real evidence pops up, they will interject fake evidence and disinformation to muddy the pool. I think they would be more interested in changing or altering the perceptions of the average joe who is not interested in the subject since the collective masses are the ones with the real power and not a few dozen UFO researchers banging the drum for disclosure. No matter how much evidence UFO researchers throw on the table it wont matter to anyone outside the UFO field until it becomes a problem or interest to the common citizen or it becomes unavoidable, this problem is compounded by the crappy investigators, bad and Anecdotal evidence,CrAzZZy PEopLE like John Lear and disinformation by these beings and maybe the
government to some extent which im not sure.

(jk) Seriously though, what douche bag sees long hair and thinks pot? Really I want to know?

Oh, so many douchebags think this that you would not believe it. The same geniuses also believe that if your skin is dark, you must therefore be dealing pot...Bleah.

I cant argue with that Gen, too many people like that. Some people love to fit everyone into categories and simplify things because there scared and it comforts them and makes them feel in control of their surroundings if they think that they already know who you are, what you are, and what your doing before they even get to know who you are as a person.

I really enjoyed Don Ecker on your show.
Without any sense of drama, he was forthright and honest about many of the people and subjects.

Excellent.
Welcome back Ecker.

Back