• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Do We Have Any Gamers Up In Here?

This pic is of a funeral procession.
Its from the game Mechwarrior 4 Mercenaries

MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of our clanmates died in real life, so the 4 remaining members of his star did a slow walk around his favourite map in clan colours and gave him a 21 Gun salute at nav centre.

formation.jpg

Online games can be just as valid a social meeting place as any other venue

I'm really sorry to hear the loss of your clan mate. :(

People who don't actually play online games or utilize any online social platform (like forums :) ) do not realize the friendships that can be forged there. And when something tragic happens, it can have just as powerful an impact as it does for local (aka 'real life') friends. I recall hearing about one or two large scale memorials while playing Dark Age of Camelot. I think there was one we participated in (this was almost 10 years ago by now).

The guy my husband and I play with is our best buddy, and we met him about five years ago online in a game. And long before that he met his wife online (and actually moved from one country to another to be with her).

You're always going to get some crazy people, so you have to use common sense but when you spend time interacting with someone over days, months or even years, you are going to from a bond.

Thanks, it was a long time ago but yes deep friendships can be forged in online games, another clanmate made mention of me at his wedding in Canada, such was the bond we formed in game. i helped him through the breakdown of his first marriage, and kept him positive till he found love again and remarried (hence the mention at his wedding)

I'm pretty sure that most people can tell what my thoughts on video games are by looking at my current avatar. Too bad Nintendo has really died off in the past little while.
I have a 360 and PS3. I have not had much time to play in the last little while but I am looking forward to GTA V - it'll come out just in time for my 6 week paternity leave, so I'll be plying between changing diapers.

Online games can be just as valid a social meeting place as any other venue ...

Condolences ... and these days, your absolutely right.

I'm also told by those who play, that business deals are also made in game-space just like they're made out on the golf course.

So the "game" has certainly changed.

I was just googling an old game for another thread and found a vid that I thought I would share. It's from the 1999 game "Outcast", an absolute favorite of mine and a timeless gem that never got the attention and audience it deserved.

I was just googling an old game for another thread and found a vid that I thought I would share. It's from the 1999 game "Outcast", an absolute favorite of mine and a timeless gem that never got the attention and audience it deserved.

Haha, nice. I haven't seen that game before. Thanks for sharing. :)

Has anyone heard anything about The Bureau: XCOM Declassified? It looks really interesting and seems quite appropriate given the general theme and focus of the Paracast forum:

My husband got all hot and bothered about it.

Thanks, it was a long time ago but yes deep friendships can be forged in online games, another clanmate made mention of me at his wedding in Canada, such was the bond we formed in game. i helped him through the breakdown of his first marriage, and kept him positive till he found love again and remarried (hence the mention at his wedding)

I absolutely understand this.
I have EVE friends that are now hard and fast out of game friends.. we look after each other and look out for one another.

It is very interesting how such bonds form as it is not real combat, but that sort of band of brothers bond forms and forms very strong.

The guys I fly with in EVE we have been flying together for many years and if one wants to move from an in game corporation (you would call it a clan) then we all do on mass, as such we just joined one that was started by close in game friends so we don't move around :)

We watch each others backs and fight like cornered dogs if one of our mates is going down. This close bond makes us very nasty opponents indeed.

I absolutely understand this.
I have EVE friends that are now hard and fast out of game friends.. we look after each other and look out for one another.

It is very interesting how such bonds form as it is not real combat, but that sort of band of brothers bond forms and forms very strong.

The guys I fly with in EVE we have been flying together for many years and if one wants to move from an in game corporation (you would call it a clan) then we all do on mass, as such we just joined one that was started by close in game friends so we don't move around :)

We watch each others backs and fight like cornered dogs if one of our mates is going down. This close bond makes us very nasty opponents indeed.

I totally know what you mean! :) We have some close buddies like that. It's always assumed that when we start playing a new game we are going to be in the same guild. Fighting and running together sure helps build bonds. I think it's that working together and relying on each other to achieve goals (plus all the socializing in between). Although for us its more like... killing dragons and fantasy stuff. :D Well they did get me to try Star Trek Online recently but... I'm not the quickest flyer. :confused:

When you play Eve, you didn't happen to encounter anyone named Treize, or maybe Halima? Or some variation of those names?

I love playing online games, but I don't like to use voice chat, (I have my pc hooked up to my hi fi so it can cause issues), my computer is also an antique and not able to run games made after 2007, I am looking forward to getting a new one so I can play Red orchestra 2, Free Falcon 5 and Diablo 3.
at the moment I play and would recommend the following multiplayer games:

1 Men of war assault squad (steep learning curve but the best "command and conquer style game ever imo.)

2 Red orchestra (wwii FPS)((try Red orchestra 2 if you have a reasonable pc because there are not many players still playing the original.))

3 Free Falcon (Flight simulator)((joystick essential)) the most realistic flight sim I have ever played, it also has masses of modded content available, and is totally free. go for the latest version if you have a high end pc.

one older game that I like is called mount and blade (medieval FPS) I have learned some basic modelling and skinning skills and would be happy to give anybody that wants them, the weapons and armour I have made. the same will apply when I get my new pc and I am able to mod FreeFalcon 5 again.

Something that occurred to me when writing this post was how sad I felt when my old computer stopped working, I didn't really lose much data, but I had grown attached to it, and was used to all its good and bad points. What I am trying to say is that I felt a "loss" in a way that I would not if for example my monitor, mouse or keyboard had broken.
It seems to me that every pc that I have owned had its own personality, how much of this was down to me I am not sure. I did not feel the same way when various "consoles" I have owned broke, I just missed the games that I could not play.

I love playing online games, but I don't like to use voice chat,

It's really weird how much I have come to rely on voice chat these days. When I really started playing back in high school we never had it (the technology was just different then and it wasn't as readily accessible, at least not from what I remember). Now it's like if we don't have voice chat it's a real hindrance. Amazing how we were able to go without before. :p

Something that occurred to me when writing this post was how sad I felt when my old computer stopped working, I didn't really lose much data, but I had grown attached to it, and was used to all its good and bad points. What I am trying to say is that I felt a "loss" in a way that I would not if for example my monitor, mouse or keyboard had broken.
It seems to me that every pc that I have owned had its own personality, how much of this was down to me I am not sure. I did not feel the same way when various "consoles" I have owned broke, I just missed the games that I could not play.

This isn't quite the same thing, but my husband had a computer that scared me a long time ago. His tower was having all kinds of issues and he kind of put stuff together with what we had (we didn't have money to buy a lot of good parts at the time). One of the "necessary modifications" (AKA: bandaids) he put on it was pulling out the power button for some reason so it hung on wires. It looked like it was just yanked out and dangling there. One day I must have bumped it or touched the button somehow while he was out and the damn thing sparked. I was startled and all but ran out of the room screaming. :eek: From that day forward, I always referred to that old PC as the Frankenputer. He probably still has the nasty thing laying around here somewhere. :rolleyes:

[\quote]
This isn't quite the same thing, but my husband had a computer that scared me a long time ago. His tower was having all kinds of issues and he kind of put stuff together with what we had (we didn't have money to buy a lot of good parts at the time). One of the "necessary modifications" (AKA: bandaids) he put on it was pulling out the power button for some reason so it hung on wires. It looked like it was just yanked out and dangling there. One day I must have bumped it or touched the button somehow while he was out and the damn thing sparked. I was startled and all but ran out of the room screaming. :eek: From that day forward, I always referred to that old PC as the Frankenputer. He probably still has the nasty thing laying around here somewhere. :rolleyes:[/quote]

talking of scary computers, here is a classic film about one:

EVE online is my game of choice.

EVE Online is a Massive Multiplayer Online Roleplaying Space Game - EVE Online

Internet Spaceships ... its very serious business.

I saw that the other day, I really wanted to play. But being a console gamer and not having any PC or hardware that will run it, I'm kind of stuck for now, especially because its subscription based. Still I think it's half the price WoW was. at only 15 bucks per month... Or maybe the guy on YouTube was European and its really 30 bucks Canadian?

I will keep you in mind if i ever do get around to it though :)

Been a gamer for many years. Use to play RPGs, mostly FPSs now, namely TF2. I noticed some posts of music in games and I am partial to this song from Mirrors Edge. I only played through the game on my phone but it was still pretty good.

Game music is a soft spot of mine, notably anything during the 8 bit and 16 bit era. But there's a twist. let me know what you think of the piano version of the intro song from Megaman 3.
I really love piano music. some people have done some incredible Piano and violin duos of some classic Chrono Trigger songs too.
There are also some very large communitys based around the fanmade soundtrack remixes to any game you can imagine (almost).
The remix community is at OCremix.org if you're curious, for anything else related to game music I can probably help you.
Did you know there is even Video Game Music Shows put on by Symphany orchestras around the world? Not a bad idea to keep the orchestra relevant and it beats listening to movie scores, Video Games live | http://www.videogameslive.com

I saw that the other day, I really wanted to play. But being a console gamer and not having any PC or hardware that will run it, I'm kind of stuck for now, especially because its subscription based. Still I think it's half the price WoW was. at only 15 bucks per month... Or maybe the guy on YouTube was European and its really 30 bucks Canadian?

I will keep you in mind if i ever do get around to it though :)

It is only $15 US per month to play and what is more the longer you play it you will find that your in game income will pay for the subscription :)
Now if you like the idea of the EVE universe check out "DUST 514" as that would give you a feel for the place but not EVE itself sorry to say as that is way more dynamic and complex.

Having said all that if you or any one else on this board wish to play EVE some day just PM me and I can point you in the right direction and help you get sorted in game.

I'm playing Skyrim. And the winterhold college level has a form of foreshadowing that's unique to video games. At the begining of the winterhold college level I recived a history book telling how a long time ago. The nords and elves are fighting over the eye of magnus. Towards the end of the winterhold college level. An elf and I are fighting over the eye of magnus.

I'm playing Skyrim. And the winterhold college level has a form of foreshadowing that's unique to video games. At the begining of the winterhold college level I recived a history book telling how a long time ago. The nords and elves are fighting over the eye of magnus. Towards the end of the winterhold college level. An elf and I are fighting over the eye of magnus.

Skyrim is the BEST GAME EVER! Are you dealing with that Thalmor jerk Arcano? There is some pretty decent player made content to check out in the Steam Workshop (if you play on PC). It helps stretch the game out a bit once you start finishing up all the quest lines. Do you plan on checking out Elder Scrolls Online?

Back