• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean it's obvious to you ( personally ), or are you making a snide remark? Sorry. Can't tell just from the text.

Lol. Both. No, not snide - but it's obvious and still a serious question. In other words I am asking @Soupie to ground ethics from the statements you have made - for example that destroying the original is never ethical and also I want to know what is ethical in regards to the old man and his children and the copy and the family of the original.

I’m with you and playing devils advocate. What I’m trying to point out, however, is that on this logic, the above is exactly what happens during the course of human life.

The only difference is the tome scale.

Even the location is space is completely different as with difference between Planet Y and x.
The physical organism is constantly rectusled and the pattern remains.

The only thing different with teleportation is the time scale.

How can this be yes if "At any given moment during the process there is only ever one living conscious organism." So one has to die (or lose consciousness) (at best) at the instant the other gains it.
There’s never two

I’m with you and playing devils advocate. What I’m trying to point out, however, is that on this logic, the above is exactly what happens during the course of human life.

Even the location is space is completely different as with difference between Planet Y and x.

Well, I'm not sure it's the case that every quark is destroyed and then replaced in aging, don't we have the same brain cells throughout life?
We did look into that I think you found that to be the case. I think it’s trivial though.

I’m with you and playing devils advocate. What I’m trying to point out, however, is that on this logic, the above is exactly what happens during the course of human life. The only difference is the to me scale. Even the location is space is completely different as with difference between Planet Y and x.
The thing is, what you've suggested as being the same with aging, isn't the same at all. It's only superficially the same. When our cells divide, the new cells are literally made from our own cells, so there is no disruption of continuity of what constitutes us. Copies made from materials other than those that are part of us, are not the same in this way at all.

The physical organism is constantly rectusled and the pattern remains.

The only thing different with teleportation is the time scale.

"while brain cells typically last an entire lifetime (neurons in the cerebral cortex, for example, are not replaced when they die)."

so, no?

But what they may not know is that the body does its own extreme makeover regularly. In fact, 98 percent of the atoms in the body are replaced yearly.

The thing is, what you've suggested as being the same with aging, isn't the same at all. It's only superficially the same. When our cells divide, the new cells are literally made from our own cells, so there is no disruption of continuity of what constitutes us. Copies made from materials other than those that are part of us, are not the same in this way at all.
"while brain cells typically last an entire lifetime (neurons in the cerebral cortex, for example, are not replaced when they die)."

so, no?
Cells are too high of a level

So we are only 2% really ourselves bu this logic?

Lol. Both. No, not snide - but it's obvious and still a serious question. In other words I am asking @Soupie to ground ethics from the statements you have made - for example that destroying the original is never ethical and also I want to know what is ethical in regards to the old man and his children and the copy and the family of the original.

“Think of an experience from your childhood. Something you remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there. After all, you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else would you remember it?

But here is the bombshell: you weren’t there.

Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place … Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you.

Whatever you are, therefore, you are not the stuff of which you are made.

If that doesn’t make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, read it again until it does, because it is important."

[Richard Dawkins uses this quote in his TED Talk (around 10:20)]”

lol it could be the crucial 2% ... that makes up consciousness ... ;-)

OR

congratulations, you've re-invented Buddhism!

Specificall, Dependent Arising.

Last edited:
“Think of an experience from your childhood. Something you remember clearly, something you can see, feel, maybe even smell, as if you were really there. After all, you really were there at the time, weren’t you? How else would you remember it?

But here is the bombshell: you weren’t there.

Not a single atom that is in your body today was there when that event took place … Matter flows from place to place and momentarily comes together to be you.

Whatever you are, therefore, you are not the stuff of which you are made.

If that doesn’t make the hair stand up on the back of your neck, read it again until it does, because it is important."

[Richard Dawkins uses this quote in his TED Talk (around 10:20)]”

And yet, he advocates and (presumably) adheres to Judeo-Christian ethics. In this time, persons who have the Corona virus are having certain cells replaced by viral ones, I am taking monoclonal antibodies so I am something of a Chimera ... for that matter, where do you end and the world begins, breath in, breath out ...

The "tome" scale is an important difference.

"Though they are related, questions about what can be considered a human being can be distinct from those of selfhood. For example, if non-human cells contribute to cell replacement, forming an interspecific chimera, is the patient rendered other than human?"

"Perhaps in a century, the term “human being” will be an object of nostalgia rather than a single moral category. Technologies for enhancing cognitive, psychological, and physical abilities could initiate a supra-human or “transhuman” phase of our evolution, with unknown long term consequences (8,9). We have emphasized to this point the implications of direct interventions for therapies and enhancement. Perhaps just as important is how new technologies will shape our expectation of what it is to be, or remain, human, considering our personal desires to improve ourselves beyond a given normal human capability."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back