• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and the Paranormal — Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of something else ... that one guy one time said all electrons are the same or there is only one electron...also, what makes one atom different from another? How can I be sure I am getting the same quality atoms when my body makes its replacements? Can I get better ones somewhere?

We need FACTS man! Not Quora responses.

Does he have an Atomoscope(tm) we can borrow
He/she does cite research. I’m sure it’s out there. Just haven’t found it yet.

It’s not looking good for you original supremacists though.

No looking good for you close minded original

I just thought of something else ... that one guy one time said all electrons are the same or there is only one electron...also, what makes one atom different from another? How can I be sure I am getting the same quality atoms when my body makes its replacements? Can I get better ones somewhere?
Seems like you’d have to ask that question every year as all of your atoms are fully replaced.

@Soupie this is in relation to my questions above:

1. if we apply this process to a cup of hot coffee, is the copy also hot?
2. do we know that an atom or quark by quark replacement process will carry over that which maintains the pattern?

I know you are not talking to me, because of my post just what 15 minutes ago ... ?

Also, for any position, just like consciousness, you have to at a minimum show that such a replacement is possible, before you can draw conclusions from it.

I don't know if this is the same thing, but if you move a moving quark how do you get it back into the exact position in the copy with the same velocity and relationship to the other quarks? Does that matter?
Some differences will be trivial. That’s to be excepted. Les Mis is Les mis whether it’s in comic sans or times new Roman

You do raise an interesting question though. Can atoms be of different quality haha. If my atoms get fully replaced every year is it possible to get bad ones?

Probably not? How about molecules? Maybe? Cells? Definitely.

Is there a necessary set of cells or even number of cells required for consciousness or could it be somewhat fractal, so that the structure for consciousness can be instantiated in a dwindling number of cells, atoms or whatever? In other words, how do you know only one child would ever be conscious? Maybe I can lose a whole bunch of cells by count without a change in consciousness.

Last edited:
Some differences will be trivial. That’s to be excepted. Les Mis is Les mis whether it’s in comic sans or times new Roman

That is philosophy by proclamation at its finest! It's not just one quark, it's every quark that has to be put into (moving) place, talk about precision! You aren't just taking a static conglomeration of matter and copying it - ... or are you? If so, how did you get a static piece of matter?

That is philosophy by proclamation at its finest! It's not just one quark, it's every quark that has to be put into (moving) place, talk about precision! You aren't just taking a static conglomeration of matter and copying it - ... or are you? If so, how did you get a static piece of matter?
It happens in our bodies all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back