• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Consciousness and Magic

Tyger

Paranormal Adept
How to begin? This topic has come up in relation to the subject of magic. How to begin?

Imagine two world views proceeding simultaneously - each one determining what is perceived and how perceptions are interpreted and integrated into complex world views. Imagine a magical world that has its own rationales and 'laws'. Imagine that the magical world can 'see' the materialist world but that the materialist world cannot 'see' the magical world. Imagine that these two streams have been proceeding in parallel fashion for centuries. Inner/Outer. Esoteric/Exoteric. Sacred/Profane - or along those lines.

As self-evident as the materialist sees their world view - so too is self-evident the magical world view to the 'magician'. There has been a shift, however, where the magical world has to 'prove' its existence to the materialist (not vice-versa, and there are reasons for that). [Some conflating of terms here, as well as unique usage but still within an acceptable range given the imprecise introductory nature of this exploration. Spiritual and magical in this sense are close - magic deals with both the spiritual and the material and magic is the 'technology' and the 'psychology' that bridges those two 'worlds'.]

The term magical would include consciousness. All of creation possesses consciousness. All is conscious - but all is not aware, though Divine Intelligence pulses through all so that rocks 'know' how to be rocks, for example. Not all is alive, however. Life is the moment when consciousness 'rears up' into creation to 'look at itself.' To be conscious and aware precedes life. Divine Intelligence precedes all. It is the conscious and aware Divine Intelligence that produces the 'spark' of life. The forces of life begin to organize the physical into forms. The 'instructions' for these forms originate from the Divine Intelligence [insert whatever name you choose]. I could go on in this way but there are better renderings of this in the sanskrit and elsewhere - but you get the idea.

As the conversation proceeds [if it proceeds] I will be approaching this from this end - with the rationale of magic [and spirit] 'as though' it is the dominant and self-evident world view.

Last edited:
I wrote: Imagine two world views proceeding simultaneously - each one determining what is perceived and how perceptions are interpreted and integrated into complex world views. Imagine a magical world that has its own rationales and 'laws'. Imagine that the magical world can 'see' the materialist world but that the materialist world cannot 'see' the magical world. Imagine that these two streams have been proceeding in parallel fashion for centuries. Inner/Outer. Esoteric/Exoteric. Sacred/Profane - or along those lines.

Because all thoughts have significance the imaginary world of Harry Potter is relevant to this conversation. I have to be honest - I have not read the Harry Potter books. I know them only through the films and even then, I have't seen them all. However, I am an Occultist and as such see the world with very different 'eyes' than the materialist. In a way, I am from 'another country'. For me to converse with a materialist is a slightly out-of-focus experience, because much that I 'see' as obvious reality, is not even known in the materialist world view.

Consider the world of Harry Potter - it is a curious construction. Everything we construct has elements of truth - and there is much about the structure of that imaginary world that is hinting at something real.

I have a story for you. It is an Occult story. When individualities are streaming into the earth to incarnate, they are impacting the thought layer around the earth [a way to say it]. Thoughts precipitate down - like a rain - from out of the descending individualities - who are so recently coming from the higher realms of spiritual existence. Hence, when J.K. Rowling sat inspired, her ideas streaming into her, her imagination alive with the Harry Potter world, this act of creation was 'participated in' by others not yet born. They were preparing the way for themselves. Not simply in that literary way, but with computers as well. In the decades leading up to one's birth one is participating in creating the culture of thoughts and reality that one will enter.

When one is born, one 'recognizes' what one sees in a far more intimate way than the adults around one. If an individual happens to be a 'forerunner', they are the one who will bring the new way into being for the others to come. It is interesting to consider the conditions under which Harry Potter was published and became popular. It was genuinely a word-of-mouth phenomenon, by children themselves. It raced through the childhood population like a caught fire. Those children were 'recognizing' a story they had themselves 'seeded' into the world in their descent to earth. In that story are truths.

Stories change us - some more than others. I have seen children who want with their whole heart and soul for the Harry Potter world to be 'real'. [Reminiscent of the fans of some science fiction worlds.] For them, they resonate far more deeply to a magical universe, alive with meaning and significance, than a 'dead' world of 'muggles' shorn of depth and transformation. In some ways I have begun to see the ufo story [since being on this chat site] as a materialist's version of the magical universe - albeit the alien/ufo story is seen as exterior, out of one's direct control. Aliens are posited whose purposes are unknown, intents mysterious and possibly nefarious. The magical universe is interior and is one where we are in control individually. There are no authorities, only adepts.

There are threads here asking where are the younger ufo enthusiasts. There have been other questions as to why the ufo sightings have shifted - once they were 'cigar shaped', for example. They were also far more plentiful. Not so much anymore. Why is that? The question to ask is: what is the story people are living with? An external transformation? There's a lot of that - a longed for, hoped for - external catharsis. Waiting for the big 'reveal' of whatever is hidden or secret. But there is another story that people are living with more and more - and Harry Potter is a part of that 'new' story - and it's a powerful one of essential identity, personal transformation and mastery of subtle forces and realities. The human being is the actual key to this. Magic has to do with this - has to do with the human being - and nature. Magic embraces all that materialist science does and then some - it punches a hole in the wall, in a sense.

I

Hence, when J.K. Rowling sat inspired, her ideas streaming into her, her imagination alive with the Harry Potter world, this act of creation was 'participated in' by others not yet born. They were preparing the way for themselves. Not simply in that literary way, but with computers as well. In the decades leading up to one's birth one is participating in creating the culture of thoughts and reality that one will enter.

When one is born, one 'recognizes' what one sees in a far more intimate way than the adults around one. If an individual happens to be a 'forerunner', they are the one who will bring the new way into being for the others to come. It is interesting to consider the conditions under which Harry Potter was published and became popular. It was genuinely a word-of-mouth phenomenon, by children themselves. It raced through the childhood population like a caught fire. Those children were 'recognizing' a story they had themselves 'seeded' into the world in their descent to earth. In that story are truths.

Stories change us - some more than others. I have seen children who want with their whole heart and soul for the Harry Potter world to be 'real'. [Reminiscent of the fans of some science fiction worlds.] For them, they resonate far more deeply to a magical universe, alive with meaning and significance, than a 'dead' world of 'muggles' shorn of depth and transformation. and Harry Potter is a part of that 'new' story - and it's a powerful one of essential identity, personal transformation and mastery of subtle forces and realities. The human being is the actual key to this. Magic has to do with this - has to do with the human being - and nature. Magic embraces all that materialist science does and then some - it punches a hole in the wall, in a sense.

Very interesting, I know magic or well I prefer magick or majik, Its basically my consciousness directing energy around me and pushing and pulling it in a direction to my use. When a "spell" is cast, the goal is formulated in your head ( the words and intent), then emotions are put into this energy making yours and stronger in a way ( ex: using anger or expressing love) this is the fuel, and then you send it out to your destination ( using a picture or creating image in your mind). Also on top of this meditation and focusing of the mind and consciousness is the ability to project energy, majik, and so on. The consciousness is a very powerful tool when used correctly and explored more of, which in many cases people tend to disregard. In the above quotations, I do like how its explained even though how eh Harry Potter is, but shows some clues to our own identities and who we are and how we differ from others.

I call that fiercely wishing. Doesn't always work, though. Obviously I lack the Hogwarts education.

same concept pretty much, its how you define it and energy put forth, wish, spell, even prayers

If someone undertakes the inner work there comes a point when the lag-time between thought and thing noticeably decreases. It is a short step into the concept (and experience) of manifestation - and recognizing that all is Thought. Many, many countless people are at this stage already in the world. They are acutely aware of the connection between their thinking and what they see in their world. [The 'drag' on this experience is nested in the idea of 'karma' but we must expand that a bit - someone's thought (following action - magical practices) produced plastic - plastic will not 'go away' by someone else merely thinking it away - magical practices (action) must be applied.]

The murky area is the physical and our thought - it is not persuasive for some to hear the claim that thought is impacting the physical. (Because of time - the illusion of time). But it is - thought is always creating. Many live in the belief that the world is objective and 'solid'. It is and it isn't. Everything we see is the creation of human thought - even that which seems objective and beyond us.

@Tyger:

I could go on in this way but there are better renderings of this in the sanskrit and elsewhere - but you get the idea.

Do you have the Sanskrit references handy?

If someone undertakes the inner work there comes a point when the lag-time between thought and thing noticeably decreases. It is a short step into the concept (and experience) of manifestation - and recognizing that all is Thought. Many, many countless people are at this stage already in the world. They are acutely aware of the connection between their thinking and what they see in their world. [The 'drag' on this experience is nested in the idea of 'karma' but we must expand that a bit - someone's thought (following action - magical practices) produced plastic - plastic will not 'go away' by someone else merely thinking it away - magical practices (action) must be applied.]

The murky area is the physical and our thought - it is not persuasive for some to hear the claim that thought is impacting the physical. (Because of time - the illusion of time). But it is - thought is always creating. Many live in the belief that the world is objective and 'solid'. It is and it isn't. Everything we see is the creation of human thought - even that which seems objective and beyond us.

If someone undertakes the inner work there comes a point when the lag-time between thought and thing noticeably decreases.

I've had this experience recently - of things happening with extreme rapidity. And I think it's related to how much attention I am paying it and how enmeshed in that world I am - there is a kind of way of focusing beside something, of not looking straight at it but still concentrating on it. The way that peripheral vision is better to see some kinds of things.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Tyger:

I could go on in this way but there are better renderings of this in the sanskrit and elsewhere - but you get the idea.

Do you have the Sanskrit references handy?

Just google [or search however] 'sanskrit texts'. Lots come up. For me the 'elsewhere' - which are the delineation of the texts, yes, but also expansion on the texts - have been important. You can also find this in the Tibetan Buddhist teachings as well as the Hindu. It's all spoken in various ways in different streams.

You can find it in the West - for me the most helpful has been the Celtic Druidic stream - but here I hesitate to give organizations or authors and book titles because I am not keen on appearing to advocate. What I write is very much my own amalgam of everything I have studied over the years - I don't 'stand for' one stream. I think you already know the Occult teacher I view with considerable respect - but he is not the only one where this can be found and thrashed out.

Many live in the belief that the world is objective and 'solid'. It is and it isn't. Everything we see is the creation of human thought - even that which seems objective and beyond us.

It is and it isn't, I don't think its all human at all myself, I definitely can see other intelligences whether equal or higher is in part of what we see. Many of this world seems to be more planted and placed out, causing the young human race left wondering at the mysteries of this planet and the cosmos or else why would they care. I don't have to be referencing greys, reptilians, or divine gods but maybe the trees themselves..............

How to begin? This topic has come up in relation to the subject of magic. How to begin?

Imagine two world views proceeding simultaneously - each one determining what is perceived and how perceptions are interpreted and integrated into complex world views. Imagine a magical world that has its own rationales and 'laws'. Imagine that the magical world can 'see' the materialist world but that the materialist world cannot 'see' the magical world. Imagine that these two streams have been proceeding in parallel fashion for centuries. Inner/Outer. Esoteric/Exoteric. Sacred/Profane - or along those lines.

The term magical would include consciousness. All of creation possesses consciousness. All is conscious - but all is not aware, though Divine Intelligence pulses through all so that rocks 'know' how to be rocks, for example. Not all is alive, however. Life is the moment when consciousness 'rears up' into creation to 'look at itself.' To be conscious and aware precedes life. Divine Intelligence precedes all.

well, as you know i'm a big fan of magical thinking. in my own earlier experimental phase with consciousness i lived for about a year or so living in that state of accepting the consciousness of all things, living, dead, mutated, inert, and diabolically rearranged by humans. it's a terrible place to be - so much wonder, so much tragedy and distortion. i found this to be mostly unhealthy, destablizing for a friend and not something i'm prepared to dabble in anymore unless i'm away from civilization and can just be.

cities are just foul creations - let's face it, a nightmare of gargantuan proportions. and those who live trapped inside them suffer terribly. for the distortions of consciousness caused by the many primary materials have been mutated, redesigned, combined and traumatized into such a great malignancy that it's surprising that more don't realize what an HP Lovcraftian horror show we've turned much of civilization into.

but back to your premise. i am starting to think increasingly that the tip of the iceberg that we call conscious reality is a smoke and mirrors show being put on for our limited intellect, or limited biological capacity for perception. i think that there's a lot we're missing, but i would like to ask, from a magical perspective, when you look at the world and really see it for what it is, do you see more awe and wonder or more shock and awe? in this way i keep my magical lens turned down, lest i have to accept so much of the tragic stench of perverted human machinations that i become non-functional. is that too harsh? am i not seeing things correctly?

i wonder sometimes if the esoteric lens is just another ideal that we long for, to displace the bliss of materialism with not real knowledge but a false illusion or fantasy. from my pov, in the morning, the magician casts a stiff spell in order to tolerate feeling all the human vitriol of all the ages, and that way can still pull purple spider flowers out of the air and make them turn into a splash of hummingbird fireworks for the kids' party later that afternoon. but without that stiff spell to carry her along for the day all would be dross and ash and poison.

. . .

cities are just foul creations - let's face it, a nightmare of gargantuan proportions. and those who live trapped inside them suffer terribly. for the distortions of consciousness caused by the many primary materials have been mutated, redesigned, combined and traumatized into such a great malignancy that it's surprising that more don't realize what an HP Lovcraftian horror show we've turned much of civilization into.

have you read Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber?

have you read Our Lady of Darkness by Fritz Leiber?
Do you know the band, Sharkbait, and their anti-metal pro-pagan anointing metal-crushing reality ending concerts?

I read through the wiki entry on this book. Wish I had read this twenty years ago - it sounds brilliant. I will definitely look for this one as I see the author and I have a lot in common re: processing death, urban blight and magic.

"At any particular time of history there have always been one or two cities of the monstrous sort -- viz., Babel or Babylon, Ur-Lhassa, Nineve, Syracuse, Rome, Samarkand, Tenochtitlan, Peking -- but we live in the Megapolitan (or Necropolitan) Age, when such disastrous blights are manifold and threaten to conjoin and enshroud the world with funebral yet multipotent city-stuff. We need a Black Pythagoras to spy out the evil lay of our monstrous cities and their foul shrieking songs, even as the White Pythagoras spied out the lay of the heavenly spheres and their crystalline symphonies, two and a half millennia ago."

OurLadyOfDarkness.jpg

lovely, and a follower of Ambrose and Lovecraft as well - thank you for this suggestion.

And in Arkansas we have a saying about not shaking hands with North Carolinians . . .

I guess I could have said that the attempted manipulation of unseen forces thought to control nature and influence human destiny though prayer, ritual, or belief is superstition by definition and often found to be counter-productive in the pursuit of one's goals in contrast to a more pragmatic and rational approach.

I guess I could have said that the attempted manipulation of unseen forces thought to control nature and influence human destiny though prayer, ritual, or belief is superstition by definition and often found to be counter-productive in the pursuit of one's goals in contrast to a more pragmatic and rational approach.

No, I got all that.

Something like . . . "as long as you spit in your own hand . . ."? ;-)

I don't follow you. The person wishing for something rather than working for it is invited to spit in their own hand and to wish in the other to illustrate the ineffectiveness of wishing over doing. These folks were usually from Arkansas mind you.

Back