• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Capturing the Light

Ralph said:
Does anyone know what the exposure length is for a Super 8 camera at 18 frames a second?

Found the answer to my own question.
According to a Super 8 FAQ
which says
Most super8 cameras have a shutter with an opening of roughly 180 degrees. This means the shutter time will be about 1/36 sec for 18fps and 1/48 sec for 24fps.

For those who want to do some mathematics:

T = (1/R) * (A/360)
where T: exposure Time in seconds, R: Running speed in fps, and A: shutter Angle in degrees
:
The action we see on any single frame normally happens within about 1/36th of a second, and for every 1/36th of a second of events captured, there is 1/36th of a second that is not captured (when the shutter is closed).

As a result, we can say that the flash events occur in less than 1/18th of a second, but we only ever capture 1/36th of a second of activity.

It would be interesting to know the details of the shape of the shutter in Dorothy's camera...

When is David and Jeff going to meet with Dorothy, I hope they keep us informed if they make contact with her.

First time poster here....just listened to the Capture the Light show. It would seem, having listened to all the moaning and groaning during past shows about whether the UFO field is taken seriously, is substantive, and has a future....one would think that the entire crew....Gene, David, Friedman, Ritzman, et al would jump into a car, the very next day after the Capture the Light show, get to the bottom of this, analyze the video, and report out to the community. Instead, silence......what's going on gents? Are you being stalled by the old lady and Guttilla? How come the forums aren't screaming for an answer....it's only a car ride away. I mean come on -- if this old lady is real this could blow the lid off the UFO community and put the issue front and center with America. Instead, there hasn't been a forum posting since April 3. Why make more podcast shows instead of working this hard....makes no sense. P.S. lots of threads in the forums -- if an update is located elsewhere....let me know.

The first super 8mm camera she used to film the "craft(s)" was a Keystone XL 200

From Super8wiki

<!-- start content --> Keystone XL 200
Year: 1976-80
Lens: Keytar 1,1 / 9 - 18 mm
Fixed Focusing
Manual Zoom
Frame rates: 18
Shutter degree: 220
Auto Exposure (Not TTL)
No sound
3 X AA batteries

I found this out fromhttp://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.anomalia.org%2Fperspectivas%2Ffotosets%2Fdorothy.htm&lp=es_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

I believe it's on the 13th or 14th paragraph. :D

I just broke down and paid the $1.99 to view Capturing the Light on Amazon.com. I'm impressed. I can't believe a followup film wasn't done. What's happened on the digitization effort I wonder?

I just broke down and paid the $1.99 to view Capturing the Light on Amazon.com. I'm impressed. I can't believe a followup film wasn't done. What's happened on the digitization effort I wonder?

I am undecided on Dorothy's documentation. I have watched the DVD numerous times.

I am undecided on Dorothy's documentation. I have watched the DVD numerous times.

It's difficult to dismiss the UFO that showed up for the interview. It could have all been staged I imagine but I don't get that impression given the history of the case. It's an interesting and supposedly ongoing case that doesn't get a lot of attention.

Back