• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Biedny Uncensored

Ahhh... gloves off at last. Good work Jeremy.

Question for David though: at one point you talk about how distracted people are with basic survival; with the kids and the car and the mortgage and how that prevents anyone from seeking any real answers, but then you go on to complain about how you've lost opportunities to make money because of your involvement in the paracast. So for you, which is it? Are you determined to get answers or are you distracted by the pursuit of money? Because it seems that apparently you can't do both, and anyone who claims they are (Pye, Greer, et al) is full of it.

Good question. I have no children (my girlfriend has three, but I'm not involved with their financial reality), no mortgage (I'm a lifelong renter), and I do not earn a fraction of my potential - the last six years of my life or so have been very difficult financially. I drive a 12 year old car, and upgrade computers very infrequently. As a software reviewer, I have cool new software tools sent to me all the time (as well as the occasional hardware goodie), which is a great perk. I don't spend a lot of dough, 'cause I don't have a lot to spend. It would be great to have a more solid, dependable income, but I've been freelancing for years, so I got somewhat accustomed to the reality of irregular cash flow. I manage to survive, and it would be great to do better than that, which I might be able to achieve at some point. To be perfectly frank, money has never been a driving force in my life. Perhaps it would be different if I had a family to support, but that's just not my reality.

That only sorta answers my question though. I guess the real question should be when these people turn you down because of your involvement with the paracast, which is it that bothers you more: the lost opportunity to make money or the fact these people think you're on the whacky-tabaccee? Or is it just that you really weren't prepared for how entering a field with fruitbats like Hicheal Morn and Lord Pie would effect your life?

Well, it frustrates me, but ultimately, I march to the tune of my own drummer.

I'm not the kind of person who ever really cared about what other people think of me, which might explain some of my attitude on the show and the lack of a filter on my thoughts and statements. I speak my mind and tend to pay for it, consequences be damned. I know that unlike the folks you mention, my integrity is intact, my sanity, well, that's up for grabs. ;)

Just listened to the show, good stuff. Your hypothetical scenario brings to mind an internet exchange I had with Mac Tonnies. I was passing along a crypto-terrestrial scenario I'd been thinking of, which I thought he could mine for ideas if he felt it was useful. Here goes:

Start with an advanced major civilization, existing long before recorded history. Perhaps not technologically advanced in the same way that we are at present, but advanced enough to have systems of mass governance, commerce and communication.

Government and commerce generally bring classes of people, with the higher classes generally having greater access to information and technology.

Ok picturing the above scenario (which is basically the present scenario), consider that the highest most educated classes come to discover that a massive global catastrophic event is approaching in the near future. There is no way to stave it off, disaster is unavoidable.

How might they react? Their first course of action would be to construct shelters to protect themselves. Perhaps underground shelters. There is no way to save everyone, and the upper classes most likely consider themselves above the lower classes (just as they do now), so they decide to save the most educated and most wealthy, and allow the rest to perish.

The disaster comes and goes, and the vast majority of the above-ground population is decimated. The survivors are of the lower and uneducated classes, and after the smoke is cleared, they proceed to rebuild civilization. They might be starting at the developmental phase of hunter-gatherers.

However in the elite shelters, the technology and the most intelligent individuals from the previous society have been preserved. So what we have at this point is essentially two separate civilizations, one of them primitive and uneducated, and the other advanced.

Jump ahead a few hundred years. The descendants of the above-ground survivors have no conscious memory of the previous advanced civilization. Degraded fables of the old civilization and its technology have been passed along over time.

However, imagine what level of development and technology the underground civilization might have reached by this point. They could perhaps emerge from the ground in flying devices and literally present themselves as gods to the surface people.

I can imagine this scenario taking place at the present time, so considering the idea of recurring calamities perhaps it's occurred before. The idea has holes of course, but its advantage is that it relies only on what we can observe from human culture and behavior, and doesn't rely on alien beings.

I'm feeling deja vu so I might have posted this at some point before. But anyway, there's an idea to play with.

You know there's a loose resemblance of this to the Richard Shaver story and the races of deros (the primitive ones) and teros (the advanced ones).

Because of a surface catastrophe, they all fled to caves where they rebuilt their advanced civilization away from the prying eyes of the newly emerging human civilization who dwelled on the surface.

That was a great podcast. David, I like the theory you postulated. A lot of stuff to think about.
On another topic...it be great if you and Gene could cuss on the Paracast. :p

Crow said:
That was a great podcast. David, I like the theory you postulated. A lot of stuff to think about.
On another topic...it be great if you and Gene could cuss on the Paracast. :p

It's a juggling match. We are listed on iTunes as family-friendly, and adding so-called "explicit" content would require major changes in that regard that would affect that listing, which is an important source of listeners.

In addition, we'd like to expand to a number of commercial broadcast stations, where there are strict limits and potential fines from the FCC for that sort of thing. So for now, we have opened the spigots strictly on the forums.

But I know David wouldn't mind being, shall we say, less restricted in that regard.

I was just kidding with you. I completely understand. Besides...I think I'd freak if I heard you drop the F bomb Gene.

Crow said:
I was just kidding with you. I completely understand. Besides...I think I'd freak if I heard you drop the F bomb Gene.

I've been known to drop a few of them in my time. However, my broadcast training taught me to, most of the time anyway, think carefully about such things while on the air. I was strictly warned in those days that even the single use of the wrong word would be a career killer. Little did they know.

To go back to the blog discussion for a second. It seems to me that those who dis David for expressing a strong opinion are, maybe, a bit.... ummmm, shall we say, uncomfortable? Maybe when the spot light is turned on and people can see you for what it is. Well, it ain't pretty that's for sure.

And I say F' 'em!

Well, this is odd .... for some reason im getting an error from quicktime when trying to play.

"Error-2048:Couldn't open the file EPISOD~1.MOV because it is not a file that QuickTime understands"

Ive tried re-downloading the interview a second time and am having the same issues.

Anyone have any ideas on this?

QuickTime Version 7.2, Windows XP Home - ok, i knoooooooow its not a mac but i dont normally have QuickTime issues ;) gah.... now ive got indigestion :(

Frootloop said:
Well, this is odd .... for some reason im getting an error from quicktime when trying to play.

"Error-2048:Couldn't open the file EPISOD~1.MOV because it is not a file that QuickTime understands"

Ive tried re-downloading the interview a second time and am having the same issues.

QuickTime Version 7.2, Windows XP Home - ok, i knoooooooow its not a mac but i dont normally have QuickTime issues ;) gah.... now ive got indigestion :(

I'm playing it now and it's working fine. It's an MP4a if that's an issue, I dunno. Try a different episode and if it doesn't work you'll know it's your computer.

valiens said:
Frootloop said:

I'm playing it now and it's working fine. It's an MP4a if that's an issue, I dunno. Try a different episode and if it doesn't work you'll know it's your computer.

Jeremy, it's working fine here, and the current version of QuickTime should work identically on both the Mac and PC platforms.

Well, ive tried that podcast on another system and am having the same problem, same error. And ive also just tried an earlier podcast (culture of contact ep.5) from Jeremy's site and still the same problem

Ive never had a problem like this with M4a files before, i wonder if its the latest version of QuickTime as both my systems here are running v7.2 (thanks to apple update)

Ive also tried other non QT players, but no joy there either :(

Frootloop said:
Well, ive tried that podcast on another system and am having the same problem, same error. And ive also just tried an earlier podcast (culture of contact ep.5) from Jeremy's site and still the same problem

Ive never had a problem like this with M4a files before, i wonder if its the latest version of QuickTime as both my systems here are running v7.2 (thanks to apple update)

Ive also tried other non QT players, but no joy there either :(

Do you have a system restore point that you can try? If you can recall listening to another show which worked recently, try that restore point.

Have you installed any new programs recently? You might have a conflict.

Just a passing comment: A few people have made a big deal out of the fact that David's choice of language is uncensored. Typical of attacking the form and not the substance, because there are only brief spurts of such language, and it is part and parcel of the points he wants to express.

I enjoyed it immensely. David without filters. Let the critics even try to dispute what he says, and they'll get it from me, and I can drop a few F-bombs when appropriate.

Why, thank you, Gene, your words mean a lot to me. :)

It was good to let loose, apparently some folks seem to have problems with explicit language. I suppose my mother should have used a harsher brand of soap on my mouth. Lava, instead of Ivory...:D

David Biedny said:
Why, thank you, Gene, your words mean a lot to me. :)

It was good to let loose, apparently some folks seem to have problems with explicit language. I suppose my mother should have used a harsher brand of soap on my mouth. Lava, instead of Ivory...:D

I learned a lot about the ins and outs of explicit language from my wonderful mother-in-law, who sadly died in my wife's arms in the mid-1980s.

Back