• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Atlantis - Mystery Solved?

I think Atlantis is a symbol for any human society that was around before the accepted view of human history. I'm sure there were many.

Wasn't Atlantis destroyed around 10,000 BCE? According to legend of course. Whereas the Minoan civilization was destroyed roughly 2,600 BCE.

Also, I was always under the impression that it was out by The rock of Gibraltar as opposed to being in the location of Crete.

I think the flooding after the last ice age scenario you described is a much more likely end to our favorite mythical city as opposed to a huge eruption.

The flooding coincides with about the time that the Spartal Bank was covered by water. Which is just west of Gibraltar.

Wasn't Atlantis destroyed around 10,000 BCE? According to legend of course. Whereas the Minoan civilization was destroyed roughly 2,600 BCE.

Also, I was always under the impression that it was out by The rock of Gibraltar as opposed to being in the location of Crete.

I think the flooding after the last ice age scenario you described is a much more likely end to our favorite mythical city as opposed to a huge eruption.

The flooding coincides with about the time that the Spartal Bank was covered by water. Which is just west of Gibraltar.

Well if you believe the legend Atlantis.

Atlantis was in the Atlantic ocean surrounded by sea. Well that only leaves you with the Uk, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland. The rest are close to the Atlantic... Canada, America, and South America, and the other islands around and near that ocean.

I think we should stick to this model. In a perfect world I would be able to just sit around and play music, drink, and screw, and the robots would do everything else.

Who do you think you are... Prince Charles?

"His lifestyle would seem extravagant even to France's "Sun King" Louis XIV: a team of valets so that one is always available to lay out and pick up his clothes; a servant to squeeze his toothpaste on to his brush, and another who once held the specimen bottle while he gave a urine sample. Step into the world of the Prince of Wales, a lifestyle so pampered it is grotesque."

:D

Attachments

• charles.jpg
    charles.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 53
Well if you believe the legend Atlantis.

Atlantis was in the Atlantic ocean surrounded by sea. Well that only leaves you with the Uk, Ireland, Iceland, Greenland. The rest are close to the Atlantic... Canada, America, and South America, and the other islands around and near that ocean.

Um, Spain? Africa?

Without timelines, we really can't say for certain it was the Atlantic ocean can we? Isn't it pretty close to proven that the continents have shifted and even broken apart, among other transitions which also manipulates the oceans?

Without timelines, we really can't say for certain it was the Atlantic ocean can we? Isn't it pretty close to proven that the continents have shifted and even broken apart, among other transitions which also manipulates the oceans?

Aristotle, Plato,.. all siad Atlantis was in the Atlantic ocean. There is ancients texts going back further then the descriptions provided by Aristotle and Plato They all siad Atlantis was in the Atlantic ocean.You have go by the record of what was siad.

Aristotle, Plato,.. all siad Atlantis was in the Atlantic ocean. There is ancients texts going back further then the descriptions provided by Aristotle and Plato They all siad Atlantis was in the Atlantic ocean.You have go by the record of what was siad.

Sorry, one more question... Do we also have accurate maps from that time period? Could their Atlantic ocean be different from ours? I would imagine if by some, it wouldn't be that much, would it? Also, I have heard that most say they were re-telling rather than speaking in the present tense. Is this accurate?

Sorry, one more question... Do we also have accurate maps from that time period? Could their Atlantic ocean be different from ours? I would imagine if by some, it wouldn't be that much, would it? Also, I have heard that most say they were re-telling rather than speaking in the present tense. Is this accurate?

The Greeks had ships in which they explored the oceans. I can not be sure withount doing the research to see if there is any accurate maps from that time period. I Think the Atlantic ocean has not changed from Platos time. The theory is that the Earth was once a whole land mass.But over time the land broke up and certain pieces of the earth moved in different directions over time.

I think it was something they heard about and spoke about later. It was story just like Troy. Most historians, believed Troy was a story of fiction. Recently in our century that was proven to be wrong.

The Greeks had ships in which they explored the oceans. I can not be sure withount doing the research to see if there is any accurate maps from that time period. I Think the Atlantic ocean has not changed from Platos time. The theory is that the Earth was once a whole land mass.But over time the land broke up and certain pieces of the earth moved in different directions over time.

I think it was something they heard about and spoke about later. It was story just like Troy. Most historians, believed Troy was a story of fiction. Recently in our century that was proven to be wrong.

Pangaea is more than just a theory. But this process takes millions of years. No notable changes of Earths geography have occurred since Plato's time. Keep in mind as well that Plato's time is long after both the Thera Eruption, and the Glacial melting of the ice age. And thus, much after the "lost city of atlantis".

Pangaea is more than just a theory. But this process takes millions of years. No notable changes of Earths geography have occurred since Plato's time. Keep in mind as well that Plato's time is long after both the Thera Eruption, and the Glacial melting of the ice age. And thus, much after the "lost city of atlantis".

Well if you read about Pangaea. They are theories based on some evidence.

Magnetic anomalies in rock in certain countries of the world can only be explained by the drifting of continents.To be honest, i have not looked at this a whole lot.

I had a look there at a website.

We have evidence which seems to be accepted. I think nobody saw this happen. I have to go and research the topic of Pangaea. To give you a better and more honest answer.

Thanks. If I understand correctly, that means we really have no idea of a timeline and since we know land masses changes significantly throughout history, the Atlantic ocean is a start, but not really too descriptive then, no?

Thanks. If I understand correctly, that means we really have no idea of a timeline and since we know land masses changes significantly throughout history, the Atlantic ocean is a start, but not really too descriptive then, no?

Well from what i understand the whole breaking of the land mass happened millions and millions of years ago. Atlantis was siad to have existed around 10,000BC or a little earlier.

Well from what i understand the whole breaking of the land mass happened millions and millions of years ago. Atlantis was siad to have existed around 10,000BC or a little earlier.

First, sorry about all the questions... :eek:

Who said it existed in 10,000BC? Is that subjecture from historians, said from people of the times of Plato or...?

First, sorry about all the questions... :eek:

Who said it existed in 10,000BC? Is that subjecture from historians, said from people of the times of Plato or...?

Well historians could never say that because they don't believe it exists. I have read alot about Atlantis. People have claimed 9600BC and 10,000BC. I think the whole Atlantis story is just a legend.

To answer your point, i have to go and have a look and see if a timeline can be verifyed with historical fact.

Plato siad Atlantis was destroyed 9,000 years before him. I read a text of his works. So the timeline would be pretty accurate.

Plato siad Atlantis was destroyed 9,000 years before him. I read a text of his works. So the timeline would be pretty accurate.

Ah, I was about to come and respond with something along the lines of "obviously I need to do some reading too." So the timeline is by him then. It's so tough to separate the actual data, the various hypotheses and the mere modern fantasy when it comes to the Atlantis myth. :frown:

I agree that the Thera (Santorini) explanation sounds like the likeliest culprit. It's a popular current theory sure, but it's also the simplest explanation. ...and the Minoans were cool.

Back