• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

ATECH ( Alien Technology ) May Explain Paranormal Phenomena

I think it could be both, conciousness stored on a non biological platform, utilising manufactured biological vessels as Biological waldoes if and when required

Remote manipulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Then again the sense one is dealing with a biological entity could itself be no more than an implanted neural pattern designed to create that effect.

Ive always thought a good idea for a space faring sentient, would be to travel the distance on the brainframe technology, perhaps using virtual reality to pass the time.
And then when you get to a target planet, use a mechanical probe to acquire some local DNA.
Use that to build a biovessel and transfer to that vessel for dirtside operations, linking back to the brainframe so that in the event the biovessel gets destroyed, you are still safe.
(we saw this in avatar iirc)

If we have some sort of essence of self that survives the death of the physical body, then in a very real sense we are already operating biological Waldoes aren't we?

This thread has deeply delved into several science fiction themes......learning by pills (Larry Niven wrote a short story about that- alien business-beings show up to offer learning pills for trade...OH and also in THX1138 they learned by RNA IV drips). Other themes are traveling through the cosmos by "Out-Of-Body" type traveling,.....Biological Engineering.....and evolving to the point where our minds need no physical bodies.
I love this kind of prognostication of the future. (My fifty cent word of the day).

If we have some sort of essence of self that survives the death of the physical body, then in a very real sense we are already operating biological Waldoes aren't we?

This thread has deeply delved into several science fiction themes......learning by pills (Larry Niven wrote a short story about that- alien business-beings show up to offer learning pills for trade...OH and also in THX1138 they learned by RNA IV drips). Other themes are traveling through the cosmos by "Out-Of-Body" type traveling,.....Biological Engineering.....and evolving to the point where our minds need no physical bodies.
I love this kind of prognostication of the future. (My fifty cent word of the day).

Excellent point Doc ... and this implies something even more far out. On a religious level we interpret this situation as a body/spirit combination that is made possible by a divine plan. But from our sci-fi ATECH perspective, what if these divine entities are some sort of alien life form. Technically, if they exist, they almost have to be alien ( they don't seem to be from around here anyway ), which means that if we are carrying around their assigned consciousnesses inside our human frames, we're both indigenous and alien at the same time. I think on some level we all feel that we don't really belong in the jungle anymore. When we look up at the stars many of us instinctively feel that is where we belong, but we're not ready for that either, so we're kind of stranded on this cosmic beach, with the jungle on one side and the stars in the other, watching and waiting for our ship to come in and trying to build starships out of palm trees.

As ive shown we ourselves are working on brain hacking technology, the ability to both read from and write to our current memory storage systems.
It therefore doesnt strike me as unlikely an advanced species would be able to do this too, and indeed screen memorys are an alleged feature of the enigma.

Thus as per the thread premise, any observation, including that of high strangeness and paranormal events, could be induced via such technology.
Ultimately the brain process's input and files it as "experience", but if you can hack that system you can induce "experience" of any sort you so desire

As ive shown we ourselves are working on brain hacking technology, the ability to both read from and write to our current memory storage systems.
It therefore doesnt strike me as unlikely an advanced species would be able to do this too, and indeed screen memorys are an alleged feature of the enigma.

Thus as per the thread premise, any observation, including that of high strangeness and paranormal events, could be induced via such technology.
Ultimately the brain process's input and files it as "experience", but if you can hack that system you can induce "experience" of any sort you so desire

Pretty much right on the money. So what does this imply? Apparitions are typically related to some aspect of the history and environment in which they are seen. Sometimes the details are only known by one or two people, or are discovered after the fact through investigation. To do this with ATECH would require a long term plan or study utilizing clandestine monitoring of the area and the storing such things as 3D images of historical figures in some kind of database. I wonder if there are any accounts where the alleged ghosts turn out to also have a history of experiencing paranormal phenomena prior to their deaths ... or if their deaths were in and of themselves weird? This could be one prediction we should expect to find in order to test our hypothesis. We need a ghost expert in here! ( and I mean an expert on ghosts not a ghost who is an expert ) ;).

If they are uploading human conciousness at the point of biofailure, then they have all the data they need.
Imagine a vast library/database built from full uploads of human memorys.
There is no better way to record the history of a species imo

For a species that uses brain to brain transfer, books are old hat.
Why read about ancient rome when you could simply load a direct experience from any number of people who were there, what they saw,heard,smelt,felt......

I am in agreement with these ideas and putting aside actual technology for a sec, myself and others have put forward the idea that when it comes to abductions or close encounters and general 'high strangeness' (god I love that term) - I've often wondered if tech that can maybe warp space/time or gravity might not have huge effects on the brain, not by design (but maybe) but just as a by-product.
As we know, outside magnetic fields and EM waves can induce certain memories and feelings, sometimes hallucinations, so who knows how damn freaky UFO tech might be on the brain?

I am convinced there is something to the abducting phenomena and often the reports accompanying close encounters are so bizarre we often find them hard to swallow. But they are often so bizarre you have to wonder why anyone making up a UFO sighting would then add stuff that equates to goblins in terms of public believability?

I forget the case/name but who was the guy hunting in a Cali forest and ended up a tree fending off a gas-wielding robby the robot? I just cannot believe that was all made up cos it was never gonna convince half of ufology never mind anyone else! Yet, it's there as an account and it does make sense that there might be a warped sense of humour about it - a bit like dressing your cat or dog up in human clothes - the animal is utterly bemused and confused, does not have a single clue what is going on, then it ends and becomes a strange memory that is activated with the sight of said items of clothing! All the while we, in the role of ET, have had no worthwhile reason for putting our pets through all that other than to have a laugh.

Who is to say that ET or whatever doesn't have a sense of humour? Smoking wolf/dog men? There is no 'you must save the planet' or 'we are combining DNA to prevent a genetic problem' and all that, it's 'hey you! yes you! yeah, check this shit out........I'm a smoking fucking dog!':rolleyes:

They Allegedly told Streiber "we recycle souls"

But lets put the word soul into a better perspective, strip it of the religious aspect

What if by soul they meant a person's entire personality, memory, skills and history

In Kurzweil's estimation, we will be able to upload the human brain to a computer, capturing "a person's entire personality, memory, skills and history", by the end of the 2030s; humans and non-biological machines will then merge so effectively that the differences between them will no longer matter
By 2040 you will be able to upload your brain... - Science - News - The Independent

If there is no supernatural mechanism for extended conciouisness after biofailure, then we are left with a technological mechanism.

And if the trends hold fast beyond that, Kurzweil adds, by 2045 we will have a computer that is powerful enough to host every one of the eight billion minds on earth

There is now talk of molecular computing with predictions that In the future we’ll pack more computing power into a sugar cube than the sum total of all the computer power that exists in the world today.

Lets play with this scenario a moment.

What if Paul Davies is on the money

"I think it very likely -in fact inevitable-that biological intelligence is only a transitory phenomenon, a fleeting phase in the evolution of intelligence in the universe."​
Paul Davies -acclaimed physicist, cosmologist, and astrobiologist at Arizona State University."​

That it is inevitable that sentient intellect transitions from biological to an engineered substrate.
That such species are the majority, and that new kids on the block like ourselves the minority.
That they recognise via their own and others experience that its inevitable we will do the same.....................(as our own science is seeking to do right now)

Wouldnt it be an act of great kindness, to lend us their technology to record our history via full conciousness upload, until such time as we can do it for ourselves.

I'm reminded of the lost Dr who episodes

The Doctor Who missing episodes are the instalments of the long-running British science-fiction television programme Doctor Who that have no known film or videotape copies. They were wiped (or "junked") by the BBC during the 1960s and 1970s for economic and space-saving reasons. There are 27 incomplete Doctor Who serials, with 106 of 253 episodes from the first six years of the programme missing

If individual human experience/conciousness were seen as media, each person simply a volume in our vast library of existance.
It would make sense for species's who have already gone down this path, to save this media on our behalf, to recycle that which would otherwise be wasted.

Perhaps it was done for them, and so they recognise the value of such an act.
Perhaps it wasnt, and they feel the loss of their own history, and as an act of kindness seek to ensure we dont suffer that loss.

Thats just a linear time scenario

If we play with time travel then we start talking about post biological societies vastly, vastly larger than biological societys, living outside linear time and the implications of that as well.

From this perspective biological hatching ponds like earth dont last forever, and thus uploading every last volume from each locale becomes desirable.

Indeed a species that perfects this upload technology would given time travel go back down the linear time chain and "save" those lost prior to the technologys development for a number of reasons.

Spontaneous biological conciousness may only happen in a linear time hatching pond like a planet, thus a post biological population might create such hatcherys for the express purpose of growing their populations and avoiding stagnation.

Stribers sense the earth is a "School" where brand new volumes are created, may come into play here.
This may be where brand new units of conciousness, first learn to exerience. where the basic components of unique conciousness are set down, and matured to graduation status.

Whereapon they are harvested at biofailure to take their place in the vast post biological population which is the greater reality

So now we're not simply proposing a clandestine monitoring / science experiment using cloaking and holographic technology, but a downloading of consciousness that can be recalled at will. This is very intriguing but for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, I'm not entirely comfortable with it. Hypothetically with that level of technology they should be able to simulate humans holographically complete with personalities and various psychologies and study them in a holodeck like fashion. What would they need real humans for and why bother with these paranormal displays? Maybe they aren't quite that advanced yet? Maybe they are still studying us and building their database? Why the mind games? I suppose it might help to explain the alleged brain implants. Perhaps they are some kind of relay that allows them to observe what the subject is doing.

If they are uploading human conciousness at the point of biofailure, then they have all the data they need. Imagine a vast library/database built from full uploads of human memorys. There is no better way to record the history of a species imo ... Why read about ancient rome when you could simply load a direct experience from any number of people who were there, what they saw,heard,smelt,felt...

This reminds me of your post about what you experienced in your own life and death situation. I've talked with other people who have had experiences like that and I don't doubt for a moment that it happens. It's almost as if an involuntary uploading process is being set in motion. If that is true, then I tend to think that the destination is a folder within a cosmic file system that is in turn part of a shell responsible for generating the entire universe in which we live. For some reason I don't see UFOs as being that far removed from our immediate reality. I tend to think of them as something native to this construct, something metallic and approximating the shape of a disk ... or a mother ship or a sphere ... more recently black triangles.

So now we're not simply proposing a clandestine monitoring / science experiment using cloaking and holographic technology, but a downloading of consciousness that can be recalled at will. This is very intriguing but for some reason that I can't quite put my finger on, I'm not entirely comfortable with it. Hypothetically with that level of technology they should be able to simulate humans holographically complete with personalities and various psychologies and study them in a holodeck like fashion. What would they need real humans for and why bother with these paranormal displays? Maybe they aren't quite that advanced yet? Maybe they are still studying us and building their database? Why the mind games? I suppose it might help to explain the alleged brain implants. Perhaps they are some kind of relay that allows them to observe what the subject is doing.

For me the answer is the unique aspect of biological experience, no two experience sets are ever the same.
Its a bit like the fact that we can turn lead into gold in a reactor, but its far easier and cheaper to just mine it.

The other aspect is file sharing, would you rather download a simulation of William Shakespere into your own experience matrix, or the actual uploaded copy of his actual experience sets, theres a certain authenticity about having the real thing.
Would you rather do a "total recall" type imersion into a simulated WS, or experience the real thing, what he actually saw heard felt thought as he lived his life ?

Could anything be rarer than an individuals experience set ? in the whole universe, both the axis of space and duration there will only ever be one of each.

IMO your individual experience set is the single rarest thing ever to exist, no two are ever identical

For me the answer is the unique aspect of biological experience, no two experience sets are ever the same. Its a bit like the fact that we can turn lead into gold in a reactor, but its far easier and cheaper to just mine it ... IMO your individual experience set is the single rarest thing ever to exist, no two are ever identical.

I suppose live specimens could serve as a baseline and the more of them you have studied the more accurate your predicted outcome is likely to be. So the question then becomes, what would the predicted outcome be for these kinds of experiments? Can we reverse engineer these sightings and experiences to extrapolate a reasonable answer? I keep coming back to the idea that the common theme of all these experiences is a lack of material evidence combined with enough firsthand experience to cause us to question the phenomena, and it seems that the most common question asked is, "How are these things possible?" This implies some sort of challenge on the part of the aliens for us to figure out what is going on. We do this in animal experiments ourselves pretty regularly. So if we're rats in a maze, what would their results show?
  1. A certain number of subjects don't know or care if they are being tested, ( and wander about the maze oblivious ).
  2. When faced with a particular stimulus some subjects draw conclusions based on cultural superstitions, but still don't know they are being tested ( wander about the maze believing false information ).
  3. Some subjects have figured out that the stimulus is designed to test them and that they are therefore being monitored. ( They know they're rats in a maze but they can't prove it to the others because they aren't allowed access to the evidence required to convince the others. )
Anything else you can think of? Like how do we make others aware? Or how do we respond in order to get the next piece of cheese?

Great thread. I usually cheat on questions aimed at root causes of "the phenomenon" by borrowing Jaques Vallee's opinions, as he always seems near the cutting edge of sophisticated opinion. The quality of his analysis is about as seamless as any explanation of esoterica can be.

So I will borrow his information processing analogy, which likens what we perceive as the universe to an information processing device, or virtual reality rendering engine. All questions then become a matter of how information is processed, and by whom the processing protocols are contrived. This is obviously simplistic. But biological sentience could be likened to processing of information in such a way as to create awareness leading to self-awareness.

The history of paranormal phenomena suggests an elusive but persistent intelligence that is in control of the rules by which we interact with it. This includes not only incidents in real time, but the disposition of subsequent information we regard as the past.

Material evidence mysteriously vanishes. Witnesses behave in a combination of seemingly rational and irrational ways, both during and for years after a given event. Recollections change. Nerves unravel. Aliens, ghosts and crypto-beings reportedly know the very thoughts and memories of witnesses. It all makes no sense from a human frame of reference. But information is, after all, malleable to whoever controls how it is processed.

Such a scenario might allow us to be active participants in creating the future, but with little or no access to the warp and woof of the fabric from which it is woven.

Nothing new here. What we seem to want is a peek at the computer from the outside in rather than the inside out. This may be prohibited, impossible for human intelligence, or a work in progress involving the interaction of mind and matter.

Great thread. I usually cheat on questions aimed at root causes of "the phenomenon" by borrowing Jaques Vallee's opinions, as he always seems near the cutting edge of sophisticated opinion. The quality of his analysis is about as seamless as any explanation of esoterica can be.

So I will borrow his information processing analogy, which likens what we perceive as the universe to an information processing device, or virtual reality rendering engine. All questions then become a matter of how information is processed, and by whom the processing protocols are contrived. This is obviously simplistic. But biological sentience could be likened to processing of information in such a way as to create awareness leading to self-awareness.

The history of paranormal phenomena suggests an elusive but persistent intelligence that is in control of the rules by which we interact with it. This includes not only incidents in real time, but the disposition of subsequent information we regard as the past.

Material evidence mysteriously vanishes. Witnesses behave in a combination of seemingly rational and irrational ways, both during and for years after a given event. Recollections change. Nerves unravel. Aliens, ghosts and crypto-beings reportedly know the very thoughts and memories of witnesses. It all makes no sense from a human frame of reference. But information is, after all, malleable to whoever controls how it is processed.

Such a scenario might allow us to be active participants in creating the future, but with little or no access to the warp and woof of the fabric from which it is woven.

Nothing new here. What we seem to want is a peek at the computer from the outside in rather than the inside out. This may be prohibited, impossible for human intelligence, or a work in progress involving the interaction of mind and matter.

Yes Vallee was ahead of his time, but perhaps also a bit ahead of himself. While I tend to agree that the best explanation(s) for existence itself are those based on information theory. I don't think it's required in order to explain paranormal phenomena. Years ago when I was formulating my own perspective on the universe as a VR construct, the movie The Matrix came out and it resonated with me in so much that I called my view SuperMatrix Theory ( because it doesn't require us to be jacked in ... the entire universe is the construct. ). Note however that the Super Matrix theory in physics is quite different. Anyway, using the SuperMatrix analogy, UFOs are intrinsic to the construct ( the universe generating program ) rather than as part of the operating system, kernel, hardware or beyond. Certainly processes beyond the construct could be responsible, but we don't have to invoke them to explain the phenomena. One of the examples I use with respect to Vallee is that he considered the sudden vanishing of craft to be associated with something beyond this realm, however cloaking technology or instant acceleration directly away from the observer would also explain it. The other examples are also explainable using far less reaching explanations than an alternate universe:
  • Material evidence mysteriously vanishes: Simply steal it using cloaking and stealth technology.
  • Witnesses behave in a combination of seemingly rational and irrational ways: People do that without having witnessed anything unusual. So perhaps it's just a normal reaction given their particular psychology. Or perhaps it has to do with repressed memories of an abduction or other anomalous experience. There could be many reasons that don't require invoking something beyond the construct.
  • Aliens: There is no scientific reason alien visitation can't happen as a result of interstellar travel. The ETH remains the most rational explanation.
  • Ghosts: A combination of cloaking, stealth, antigravity, holography and EM stimulation can explain it all.
  • Knowing the thoughts of witnesses: If the experience is EM induced then it is a product of the witnesses own mind ( which of course has direct access to itself ). Other possibilities include intensive monitoring of a subject prior to initiating the experience that gives the aliens near precise predictions about behavior and thinking. I also don't rule out the possibility of brain scanning technology that can decipher particular thoughts or even the idea of telepathic communication based on natural or synthetic means.
  • Memories of witnesses: Memories can also be determined through a monitoring program. Such a program may include monitoring generations of a particular genetic line. This might account for abduction cases that span more than one generation.
So once again we find that invoking alternate universes to explain the phenomena is overkill. Although I admit that an alternate universe could be involved, simpler explanations tend to be more correct. Perhaps we'll find that traversing universes is easier than interstellar travel, but let's just say that I have serious doubts about that. But can ATECH explain all paranormal phenomena? Maybe, but I still have reservations about one or two things I've personally experienced and a few other similar stories.

Summary So Far:

Equipment Malfunctions: An EM interference device.

Ability to Morph: Holographic suit or a pure holographic projection.

Invisibility: Advanced camouflage, e.g. a cloaking or holographic suit.

Floating objects: Advanced camouflage or antigravity.

Apparitions: Holographic suit or projection.

Mind Reading: A monitoring program and/or brain wave interpreter.

Telepathic Communication: Ultrasonic projectors.

Sudden Disappearance: Advanced camouflage.

Shadow People: Cloaking or holographic suit.

Strange Animals: Genetic engineering.

Do we classify Bigfoot as a "strange animal" and lump it in with cryptozoology or do we give it a classification all its own? Is there enough of a link between some Bigfoot sightings and UFO sightings to suggest that the two are interconnected?

As ive said before the simplest explanation for any of the perceptual strangeness, could be brain hacking.

Put simply i could place a house brick on the table, but hack your brain , replace the data that says brick with data that says vase of sunflowers. AKA screen memory.

Using this i could make you "see" something that wasnt there, or not see something that was there.

You dont need holographic tech or cloaking tech or camoflage tech, this one technology could do it all.

Screen memory brain hacks, cover a lot of bases

As ive said before the simplest explanation for any of the perceptual strangeness, could be brain hacking. Put simply i could place a house brick on the table, but hack your brain , replace the data that says brick with data that says vase of sunflowers. AKA screen memory. Using this i could make you "see" something that wasnt there, or not see something that was there. You dont need holographic tech or cloaking tech or camoflage tech, this one technology could do it all. Screen memory brain hacks, cover a lot of bases

Screen Memory Brain Hacks: I agree that this is a powerful possibility and I'm going to include it in my book. But who or what is doing the hacking? It's safe to say that 50 years ago ATECH was the only rational explanation. But nowadays it is conceivable that human technology ( perhaps we should call it HUMTECH ? ) ... may have become sophisticated enough to account for some phenomena. However something like a Bigfoot sighting ( a creature that is moving through a background in an uncontrolled environment ) would seem to be much harder to produce than a static image. I'm reluctant to think we've come that far yet. Opinion?

Ufology - you mentioned you were writing a book. Any chance of a few little details about what you are aiming to have once finished?

I am intrigued. I have said to Gene before that he might consider writing a non-fiction book about the UFO field, he has been in the field for longer than I've been alive and at one time or another he has met most people who were anyone in the field.
I would imagine the act of trying to remember things for material for such a book might jog many memories out of Gene that lead to millions of interesting snippets otherwise lost forever!

Sign the petition 'Gene, you must write a UFO book' !!

Goggs

If a major publisher (one that pays a decent advance and royalties) wanted such a book -- and I would seriously doubt that any do -- I would seriously consider it. But that's not terribly likely. I've written tech books for major publishers, but I haven't done much of that in recent years.

Back