• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

At What Age Did You Become Interested in UFOs?

i grew up with Dr who, and gerry andersons UFO and captain scarlett, so all my life i guess .
i remember we moved house when i was five to be closer to a school and i have memories of watching UFO the tv series and Dr who in that house so from at least 4 years old but possibly earlier

I was about 10 or 12 when "Close Encounters" and "Star Wars" came out. I don't recall the exact years of those movies but they were late 70's. I was interested in the subject by those movies and by Star Trek and other tv shows, plus I read lots of comics.
The Paracast is helping me learn more about the subject and take a greater interest in it.

It was around the age of 7 around the time when E.T. came out. Even though I had already seen the re-release of Close Encounters (at the drive-in hehe), I was still a little too young to know what that movie was about.

I've been fascinating with the phenomena since....I guess since the age 12. I remember tons of newspaper articles stored in my folder, well of course the majority of them had been written at classic mass media style:)

My first exposure to the whole UFO mystery was seeing a documentary called Strange Harvest on TV in 1980. I was eight years old at the time, and the cattle mutilation stuff scared the hell out of me. A couple of years later I found a copy of The Andreasson Affair at the local library, and then got interested in old re-runs of In Search Of with Leonard Nimoy.

Later, in high school, I became fascinated with Whitley Streiber and Budd Hopkins- so much so that wrote my end-of-semester tenth grade English report on the subject. My written and oral report covered everything about UFO's from the Roswell Crash to alien abductions, and my classmates loved. A few of them did their reports on UFO's also.

Since then my interest in the subject has waned a lot, and I've turned into a total skeptic on almost everything. I still think the mystery is worthy of study though, because it reveals a lot about human nature and psychology.

I remember when we were kids and our parents were broke and mean spirited to boot. We had nothing of entertainment value whatsoever but i had this friend who lived nearby and he had this HardBacked book Arthur C Clarkes mysterious World and boy how we would look at it.

On the Jacket was a photograph of a Crystal skull. We would sit on the wall surrounding my friends house reading the book together it had everything Ghosts , UFO'S Sasquatch etc,

We used to have really interesting conversations after reading this book and we realised that man was not the be all and end all, there was some things that we as a species did not know.

They were long summer evenings i was about 9 years old and ive never stopped wondering ever since.

I remember when we were kids and our parents were broke and mean spirited to boot. We had nothing of entertainment value whatsoever but i had this friend who lived nearby and he had this HardBacked book Arthur C Clarkes mysterious World and boy how we would look at it.

On the Jacket was a photograph of a Crystal skull. We would sit on the wall surrounding my friends house reading the book together it had everything Ghosts , UFO'S Sasquatch etc
My god ... I think I remember seeing that book at the local library ... that takes me back a bit.

But what is more important is ... "Live at the Witch Trials" ... The Fall ... well I never ... really never expected to see a Fall fan on here. Stone the flaming crows-uh.

[Digression: I took my moniker, "schtick"(nz) from the cover of a Fall album ... which one?? Oh one of the earlier ones ... may have been "This Nation's Saving Grace"]

Still Mark E Smith has mentioned "pre-cognition" at least a few times maybe (its sometimes difficult to tell with MES) so maybe The Fall isn't so strange on a website and forum about the paranormal.

Yours Bombast-ically-uh

schtick-uh

On the Jacket was a photograph of a Crystal skull. We would sit on the wall surrounding my friends house reading the book together it had everything Ghosts , UFO'S Sasquatch etc
My god ... I think I remember seeing that book at the local library ... that takes me back a bit.

But what is more important is ... "Live at the Witch Trials" ... The Fall ... well I never ... really never expected to see a Fall fan on here. Stone the flaming crows-uh.

[Digression: I took my moniker, "schtick"(nz) from the cover of a Fall album ... which one?? Oh one of the earlier ones ... may have been "This Nation's Saving Grace"]

Still Mark E Smith has mentioned "pre-cognition" at least a few times maybe (its sometimes difficult to tell with MES) so maybe The Fall isn't so strange on a website and forum about the paranormal.

Yours Bombast-ically-uh

schtick-uh

Your right there about Mark E Smith being something of a pre-cog.

Here are a few song's that are uncannily Precognitive.

Terry Waite sez
Spencer must Die........(written before Lady Dianas tragic accident)
Powder Keg ........... (written proir to an I.R.A. bomb that was detonated in Manchester City Centre, one of the biggest bombs to go off in the UK mainland)

There are many others too.

I'm suprised that somebody here actualy picked up on my name.:cool:

I salute you schticknz.

Live at the Witch Trials said:
I'm suprised that somebody here actualy picked up on my name.:cool:

I salute you schticknz.

Its a pleasure :D ... we're definitely in a very select club us Fall fans.

But god I'm gonna have to dig out my Fall albums now but where the hell do I start? Oh I know ... the beginning :p

And just to scare the kiddies (and those grown-ups who have never bumped into the Fall ... shame on you if you haven't) here is a (not-so) scarey pic of the greatest living Englishman, Mr Mark Edward Smith ... just because I can :D

Don't have nightmares-uh

schtick ... ... ... -uh

ps Wasn't "Free Range" about the war in the Balkans before it even happened?? Can't quite remember since it was a while a go now ... but that could be another pre-cog-sinister moment :p

Attachments

• mark-e-smith.jpg
    mark-e-smith.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 20
Aparentley Philip K Dick liked the Fall :D

Yes Free Range was about the Balkan Conflict. I think theres another song called D.I.Y MEAT that preceded Mad Cows disease.

Well there you go then ... shows why he is a living (well he probably is living ... just :D) legend.

Anyway ... on with your featured presentation:

At what age did you become interested in UFOs??

Me?? Probably when I saw UFO (Gerry Anderson prog) in the early 70s when I was a small child. It then was reinforced when I saw something odd in the sky when I was in Primary School during the "Welsh Triangle" flap.

So ... get them young, and they'll grow up to be Ufolofans :p

I was 12 when i became very aware of ufo's & what was happening to me. My experiences started at age 3 or 4. But ofcourse i did not know about ufo's then. I am now 43.

I was 12 when i became very aware of ufo's & what was happening to me. My experiences started at age 3 or 4. But ofcourse i did not know about ufo's then. I am now 43.

Jayne,

So I'd like to know, you can give us some details regarding your experiences?

dB

I was a fan of sci-fi and horror films from as far back as I remember. If you had asked me if I believe in aliens from other planets, I would have probably said "sure," but I didn't really dwell on the issue. I didn't put 2 and 2 together that strange events myself, and other family members, had experienced over the years were connected to the UFO phenomenon until I had an incredible sighting sometime around the summer of '92...I would have been 20...that's when UFO's went from being a casual interest to a probably unhealthy obsession. We lived across the street from a cemetery, and as a child I thought ghosts were behind some of these incidents. I may be making connections where none exist, but it seems to me that whatever is behind UFO's is intimately related to ghosts/poultergeists, telepathy and other psychic phenomenon, possibly Bigfoot (I didn't see a Bigfoot, but I heard something very big and very scary right after a friend and I had a telepathic experience ...it actually jumped on the roof of a barn we were in!), synchronicities, and all sorts of assorted high weirdness...time/space anomolies, shadow animals, midgets in teddy-bear suits, a top-hatted magician in the middle of nowhere at night, etc... The appearance of strange flying objects is really one of the more mundane manifestations of whatever the hell is really going on.

When i had a weird encounter when i was a teenager. I wish it never happened to be honest.

Don't let it gnaw on you, man. I think it's possible that Buddha and H.P. Lovecraft were having similar experiences...If you fear it, it will seem scary...If you worship it, it will give you bliss. If you ignore it, it ignores you.

It hard to ignore that is why i come back, i am just like everybody on this site, we love to get some answers but that seems so distant but i guess you need to have hope rather then faith because i believe hope is more of a human quality rather then faith which is more supernatural.

Back