• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

April 4th show - Hopkins, Randle & Jacobs

Free episodes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I remember my legal procedure correctly, they may be able to sue in their home country under civil law without the other being present at trial, but if the other doesn't have any assets in the jurisdiction to attach then the whole trial is somewhat meaningless. Interesting case study involving civil procedure, international law and choice of law/conflicts of law, in addition to basic tort & defamation. It has been a while since I thought of this stuff . . .

I stay current as much as possible, not because I will ever practice law, but because it still interests me. Having said that, family and criminal law were the areas I specialized in at law school, so I'm no expert in conflict of laws.

Now if Woods and Jacons were married, then I could offer a much more informed opinion. :)

---------- Post added at 09:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Meanwhile, back to the main topic...

Here is a lecture given by Hopkins a few years ago.

[video=google;8263911612887419105]http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8263911612887419105#[/video]

And going back much further...

Sounds like Hopkins is making some pretty definitive conclusions to me. "They have their own agenda." Not a lot of wiggle room there.

---------- Post added at 09:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

History Channel doc...

if there are ET's that have the technology to travel endless lightyears across space , why the hell would they have primitive technology such as probes etc..... this is what i see as the flaw with the abductee cases.... if you where a intergalactic civilisation surely you would have developed something abit more special to examine life forms with

This bugs me too. We've got the whole human, Neanderthal and other species' genome. We've got online medical and biological research, facts and figures about the flora and fauna of Earth...including us. So why would aliens need to come-a-calling nightly taking samples and abducting folk?

* Insemination? Although there's a current shortage...we have sperm banks. We can transplant and store ova...but they can't.
* Blood? We are on the cusp of being able to synthesise blood...but they can't.
* Meat? We're already making synthetic meat...it's in its infancy. Why wouldn't their technology be able to do so?
* Hybrids? They can impregnate a woman and have her gestate to full term in a matter of a couple hours. That's the general claim? Yet they don't have the technology to bypass human parents altogether? Are we the technological peak of surrogacy?!
* Pineal gland milking? Again...are they too dumb to advance past our level of synthesisation?

I'm not a schmuck or a debunker...I'm a skeptic (a work in progress!) and none of the reasons cited by the abduction devotees appeal to my thinking. Maybe we do have visitors from somewhere or other? I can handle the concept and enjoy speculating about why or what or where they could come from. I enjoy it! The Pascagoula Incident (The Pascagoula Abduction Incident - Pascagoula, Mississippi, United States - October 11, 1973 - UFO Evidence) is a favourite...Colares UFO flap of '77 ( ufo - UFOS at close sight: Colares 1977, article by Daniel Rebisso Giese) is a great case to study.

The US-centric mythology of daily mass abductions by nuts & bolts craft that aren't ever seen is, at the very least, open to question. The whole theme appeals to the darkest part of the human psyche...rape, kidnapping, dominance and removal of free will. When I hear or read some accounts...I have to wonder what part of the psyche it comes from?

It's a dark old business for the people claiming to have been abducted...they have my sympathy.

Meanwhile, back to the main topic... Here is a lecture given by Hopkins a few years ago.

Good lecture by Budd, seen it a few years ago but worth seeing again. Thanks for posting it.

What's your problem with this particular presentation - assuming you have one?

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

This bugs me too. We've got the whole human, Neanderthal and other species' genome. We've got online medical and biological research, facts and figures about the flora and fauna of Earth...including us. So why would aliens need to come-a-calling nightly taking samples and abducting folk? * Insemination? Although there's a current shortage...we have sperm banks. We can transplant and store ova...but they can't. * Blood? We are on the cusp of being able to synthesise blood...but they can't. * Meat? We're already making synthetic meat...it's in its infancy. Why wouldn't their technology be able to do so? * Hybrids? They can impregnate a woman and have her gestate to full term in a matter of a couple hours. That's the general claim? Yet they don't have the technology to bypass human parents altogether? Are we the technological peak of surrogacy?! * Pineal gland milking? Again...are they too dumb to advance past our level of synthesisation? I'm not a schmuck or a debunker...I'm a skeptic (a work in progress!) and none of the reasons cited by the abduction devotees appeal to my thinking.

This is the point: a lot of what happens to abductees, and what gets remembered and reported, seems to make little sense. Some of what is reported seems irrational and does not fit our straight-jacket thinking governed by current cultural paradigms, and the prevailing level of human scientific knowledge. But it is remarkably consistent, across thousands of accounts, worldwide, over a long period of time. So if you choose to dismiss it all out of hand because it doesn't fit in your mental box, you have to try to explain what is happening to these folks. Speaking personally, I didn't want it to be real, and buried it for years. It made me uneasy and secretive, and I never wanted anyone to know what was happening; just hoped it would stop.

In science, data trumps theory every time. We must be careful not to fall into the "But they don't seem to do what aliens would do" trap. They are consistently reported as doing these things, odd though they may seem. We have to start from there.

I suspect that you're right about neither side having a slam dunk, but you wouldn't need an extradition treaty for a civil matter, and I just don't see any criminal behaviour here.

As for being embarrassed, I think the shame train has left the station for both Jacobs and Woods a long time ago. Choo choo...

I suggest both parties contact Colonel Kal Korff, who is an expert at lawsuits... or at least threatening lawsuits. :rolleyes:

Mr. Kimball,

Please be aware that your name is being tagged in every YouTube video Kal creates and will be double tagged if you keep up the smart aleck remarks.

Respectfully,

Kal Korff's Mom

I enjoyed the two hour lecture made by Budd Hopkins posted above -- this is the first time I've seen it, and I believe Mr. Hopkins did a good job. I am increasingly getting the impression that Mr. Hopkins probably has filing cabinets full of confirmatory evidence, no one piece of which proves the phenomenon in and of itself, but in its totality makes a somewhat persuasive argument. I found the three reddish photos particularly interesting, as did I the story of Linda Cortile's interaction with Cardinal O'Conner, and the Cardinal's plan to have Ms. Cortile meet the Pope. This latter fact raises an interesting observation: the Catholic Church, from the limited perspective we have inside it, seems to be onboard with the abduction phenomenon.

I enjoyed the two hour lecture made by Budd Hopkins posted above -- this is the first time I've seen it, and I believe Mr. Hopkins did a good job. I am increasingly getting the impression that Mr. Hopkins probably has filing cabinets full of confirmatory evidence, no one piece of which proves the phenomenon in and of itself, but in its totality makes a somewhat persuasive argument. I found the three reddish photos particularly interesting,

Tom

I've stayed at Budd's place a few times and can confirm the IF has thousands of letters from people all over the world, hundreds of photographs of scoop mark and straight line scars (including some very interesting biopsy reports from dermatologists, as in my case); X-rays of apparent implants, many of which have common morphology and anatomical position; photographs and close case studies of broken trees, circular patches of soil 30ft or more in diameter baked hard and changed chemically following an abduction report and hundreds of drawings sent in from all over the world mostly by people Budd has never met and has no time to investigate. It's a treasure trove of evidence which, accumulated, adds up to a global phenomenon. Few seem to have any real interest in even looking at all this stuff, which is astounding, so it just continues to pile up. People worldwide who have these experiences simply have nowhere else to go, so they contact Budd and he has ended up with all this stuff.

The case involving the reddish photos from the family in Australia is gone into in some detail in Hopkins' and Rainey's book "Sight Unseen". It's a very interesting case.

I have to mention Carl Jung here again, archetypes of social delusion go with the times.'The gods spoke to me', etc. Not to say I don't believe in any 'abductee' story, but if I was one, I wouldn't tell the 'world' about it.There is something extremely fishy about all this.

I am still of the opinion that 95% , if not more, of alleged abduction experiences are related to a mild or a full blown case of Schizophrenia, the problem of tangible proof remains.

What I don't understand is if these people are being abducted from their beds why hasn't anyone put cameras in the room and video taped it??

I don't believe in alien hybreds. There is not one piece of proof......just people with wild imaginations......Or people who want attention or fame.

On the other hand I do believe that their are paranormal and unexplained things that happen.

As far as Dr Jacobs goes he should never be allowed to practice. What he is doing is dangerous and he should be stopped. The fact he teaches and has books published does not mean he should be involved with regression or abductees.

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:04 PM ----------

I suspect that you're right about neither side having a slam dunk, but you wouldn't need an extradition treaty for a civil matter, and I just don't see any criminal behaviour here.

As for being embarrassed, I think the shame train has left the station for both Jacobs and Woods a long time ago. Choo choo...

I suggest both parties contact Colonel Kal Korff, who is an expert at lawsuits... or at least threatening lawsuits. :rolleyes:

I hope they are so embarrassed they stop and hide under a rock!

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

This bugs me too. We've got the whole human, Neanderthal and other species' genome. We've got online medical and biological research, facts and figures about the flora and fauna of Earth...including us. So why would aliens need to come-a-calling nightly taking samples and abducting folk?

* Insemination? Although there's a current shortage...we have sperm banks. We can transplant and store ova...but they can't.
* Blood? We are on the cusp of being able to synthesise blood...but they can't.
* Meat? We're already making synthetic meat...it's in its infancy. Why wouldn't their technology be able to do so?
* Hybrids? They can impregnate a woman and have her gestate to full term in a matter of a couple hours. That's the general claim? Yet they don't have the technology to bypass human parents altogether? Are we the technological peak of surrogacy?!
* Pineal gland milking? Again...are they too dumb to advance past our level of synthesisation?

I'm not a schmuck or a debunker...I'm a skeptic (a work in progress!) and none of the reasons cited by the abduction devotees appeal to my thinking. Maybe we do have visitors from somewhere or other? I can handle the concept and enjoy speculating about why or what or where they could come from. I enjoy it! The Pascagoula Incident (The Pascagoula Abduction Incident - Pascagoula, Mississippi, United States - October 11, 1973 - UFO Evidence) is a favourite...Colares UFO flap of '77 ( ufo - UFOS at close sight: Colares 1977, article by Daniel Rebisso Giese) is a great case to study.

The US-centric mythology of daily mass abductions by nuts & bolts craft that aren't ever seen is, at the very least, open to question. The whole theme appeals to the darkest part of the human psyche...rape, kidnapping, dominance and removal of free will. When I hear or read some accounts...I have to wonder what part of the psyche it comes from?

It's a dark old business for the people claiming to have been abducted...they have my sympathy.

I AGREE! It makes no sense at all! Where is the proof?? I believe in the paranormal but this abduction and doing experiments just is not logical.......not to mention the aliens using this matterial to make hybreds..........oh brother!

On the other hand I do believe that their are paranormal and unexplained things that happen.

I actually think that Mr. Hopkins and Jacobs believe in what they are doing, no doubt about that.The line, for me at least, is drawn, when oneself clearly realizes that a person should go to an Psychologist before all else.I think Budd even mentioned that in an earlier interview.

That is interesting. I wasn't hinting that you were a liar. I just wanted to know how you knew that for sure. An email from him telling you this or a phone call from him telling you this. Is very impersonal compared to a face to face chat. Thanks for revealing you were a patient. I find it odd still he told you he wanted to call the book the Gray area. But i wasn't there so i accept that he told you this and i can't confirm if Jacobs was being truthful to you about this. But ii accept your word.

Yeah, I once asked DJ why he chose "The Threat" as a titlle & he told me that his title for the original manuscript, and proposed title for the book when published was "Gray Area", but that he had been overuled by the publisher and wasn't 100% happy about it but had accepted it to get the book out.

But that's publishing. He who pays the piper, calls the tune.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

As far as Dr Jacobs goes he should never be allowed to practice. What he is doing is dangerous and he should be stopped. The fact he teaches and has books published does not mean he should be involved with regression or abductees.

For legal clarification: DJ doesn't "practice" anything. What he does is officially classified, by the University academic authorities, as "Collecting oral history" which is how his books are defined by Academia.

He does not advertise, does not seek subjects (they seek him out and want to relate their experiences for the record), makes no claims, no promises and never charges any money - not one red cent.

This is not "Practicing" by any definition, so how can it be "never allowed"? By whom should collecting oral history at the request of the experiencer be "never allowed" - as you seem to be such an expert on these (in this case non-applicable) legal issues? You simply can not legislate in this situation. It's probably never going to be legally possible, and a good thing too.

Not to say I don't believe in any 'abductee' story, but if I was one, I wouldn't tell the 'world' about it.

Well dyingsun, you'd be right in line there with 99% of abductees who certainly don't want to "tell the world about it" and in fact almost universally insist on anonymity and privacy. If their cases are ever discussed in the public arena, they are generally referred to by pseudonyms to protect ID, but most won't even go that far. This subject is taboo, disreputable, ridiculed, derided in public - and who would choose to be associated with that?

Yet it happens. People have these experiences. I'm curious to know what you would do if something dramatic of this nature was consistently happening to you: say you had a waking encounter with a UFO accompanied by 2 hours of "missing time", and on another occasion you woke up on the floor, in a different room to the one you went to sleep in and found a new scar on your body which you subsequently discovered closely matched photos of others in abduction literature, and other anomalies. You had partial memories. Who would you in fact tell? No-one? What kind of life would you then have? A "secret life", that's what kind. Where would you go, or who would you seek out to try to better understand what might be happening? Or would you just try to "brush it under the carpet" and live in denial?

I am genuinely curious. Thousands of people face these issues for real. There is nowhere to go where you might be helped to understand what might be happening. Or almost nowhere.

BTW is that avatar from "Mars Attacks"?

Well dyingsun, you'd be right in line there with 99% of abductees who certainly don't want to "tell the world about it" and in fact almost universally insist on anonymity and privacy. If their cases are ever discussed in the public arena, they are generally referred to by pseudonyms to protect ID, but most won't even go that far. This subject is taboo, disreputable, ridiculed, derided in public - and who would choose to be associated with that?

Yet it happens. People have these experiences. I'm curious to know what you would do if something dramatic of this nature was consistently happening to you: say you had a waking encounter with a UFO accompanied by 2 hours of "missing time", and on another occasion you woke up on the floor, in a different room to the one you went to sleep in and found a new scar on your body which you subsequently discovered closely matched photos of others in abduction literature, and other anomalies. You had partial memories. Who would you in fact tell? No-one? What kind of life would you then have? A "secret life", that's what kind. Where would you go, or who would you seek out to try to better understand what might be happening? Or would you just try to "brush it under the carpet" and live in denial?

I am genuinely curious. Thousands of people face these issues for real. There is nowhere to go where you might be helped to understand what might be happening. Or almost nowhere.

BTW is that avatar from "Mars Attacks"?

Yes it is (Avatar, I am a Tim Burton 'fanboy', what can I say), and thank you for this post, something to ponder, really.

I purchased Budd Hopkins' Sight Unseen on my Kindle last night and have started to read it. What is increasingly clear to me is that at least Mr. Hopkins has done significant legwork in collecting third party corroborating evidence in support of the abduction phenomenon. It is unfortunate that more of this type of evidence doesn't come out in the radio/podcast interviews because it lessens the reliance on hypnosis as the 'sole' source of information about abductions.

I actually think that Mr. Hopkins and Jacobs believe in what they are doing, no doubt about that.The line, for me at least, is drawn, when oneself clearly realizes that a person should go to an Psychologist before all else.I think Budd even mentioned that in an earlier interview.

Budd worked with several psychologists for the first few years, Dr. Aphrodite Clamar being the best known. He has on numerous occasions had people claiming abductions go though tests for psychological abnormalities and were found not to have any. Infact I think in some of the cases discussed in ‘Missing Time’ he was not even present at the sessions and he certainly didn’t do any of the hypnotic regressions. When John Mack got on board and came to similar conclusions. I quote from his (Macks) first book Abduction. The introduction includes a paragraph titled ‘Who are abductees?’:

None of the efforts to characterize abductees as a group have been successful. They seem to come , as if at random, from all parts of society…My own sample includes students, housewives, secretaries, writers, business people, computer industry professionals, musicians, psychologists, a nightclub receptionist, a prison guard, an acupuncturist, a social worker, and a gas station attendant. At first I thought it that working-class people predominated, but that appears to be an artifact related to the fact that those with less of an economic and social stake in the society seem less reluctant to come forward. Conversely, more professionally and politically prominent abductees fear the humiliation, rejection, and threat to their position that public revelation of their experiences might bring.
…Efforts to establish a pattern of psychopathology other than disturbances associated with a traumatic event have been unsuccessful. Psychological testing of abductees has not revealed evidence of mental or emotional disturbance that could account for their reported experiences.

I think it would be best to advise someone thinking of speaking to a professional doctor/psychologist/psychiatrist to choose wisely and carefully. IMO there is a tendency to prescribe pills for too many ills (how many in the USA alone or on Prozac, Ritalin? etc). If this is a physical phenomenon (at least on some level that we are only beginning to explore) then the answer is not simply psychological in nature as so many sceptics claim. That may not be something the typical professional is willing to take into account. You may not wish your family doctor to have a lifelong record of you reporting abnormal episodes of missing time or ‘visions’ or UFOs or strange beings with big eyes. Would your health insurance go up after being deemed a greater risk of some pathology or other? Could a divorcing partner use that ‘evidence’ against you to get to the kids? Could an employer asking for a medical report get access to this information now or under some future rules in the medical industry. Not such a simple decision now is it?

I liken the abduction phenomenon somewhat to the "rogue wave" phenomenon at this point. For many years when ships at sea capsized and the captains told tales of huge waves that towered over their ships the investigators made notes, smiled and joked about the captains privately. Then a few years ago there were photographs of a huge wave that broke over the bow of a large freighter. Now the rogue waves are taken seriously.

If this abduction phenomena is a real one, then eventually there will be a substantial piece of evidence-whether photographic, video or something else. Until that time comes, however, a set series of protocols and regulations should be applied to those "investigators" and hypnotists that cover this field. A good place to start would be an agreed upon series of questions to ask the clients, as well as a standardized questionnaire that provides for statistical analysis of the "abductees."

As far as the show goes, I was not too impressed with the amount of substance provided by the hypnotists themselves. It just seems to me that they have an agenda. Which hypnotist do I go see to prove "aliens are mean" and which one do I see to prove "aliens are kind?" If I go to one does that mean I can't go to the other? What if the abductors are just ambivalent? What if they have no emotional response whatsoever? What if these abductors have evolved without emotion and perform these "abductions" by rote?

As far as the DNA sampling goes, I have stated a long time ago that I don't believe DNA sampling is their purpose for taking samples, or performing other procedures. If anything I would believe it to be mitochondrial DNA, and tracking the population's genetic "tree" which would also be used to correlate population expansion and track breeding/bloodlines and population movement/expansion. But this would only be possible if the abductors have been visiting and abducting for hundreds or thousands of years; and then only probable if humanity is just a galactic science project.

Yeah, I once asked DJ why he chose "The Threat" as a titlle & he told me that his title for the original manuscript, and proposed title for the book when published was "Gray Area", but that he had been overuled by the publisher and wasn't 100% happy about it but had accepted it to get the book out.

But that's publishing. He who pays the piper, calls the tune.

---------- Post added at 01:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

For legal clarification: DJ doesn't "practice" anything. What he does is officially classified, by the University academic authorities, as "Collecting oral history" which is how his books are defined by Academia.

He does not advertise, does not seek subjects (they seek him out and want to relate their experiences for the record), makes no claims, no promises and never charges any money - not one red cent.

This is not "Practicing" by any definition, so how can it be "never allowed"? By whom should collecting oral history at the request of the experiencer be "never allowed" - as you seem to be such an expert on these (in this case non-applicable) legal issues? You simply can not legislate in this situation. It's probably never going to be legally possible, and a good thing too.

I disagree! He is practicing. If he was just collecting an oral history he would not put her or anyone else under hypnosis! An oral history is when you have some one repeat to you an event that is known or remembered AWAKE! He is just getting around the issue and so are you by supporting his dangerous practice of hypnosis and regression. These accounts are not an oral history because with hypnosis and dreams they are not clear and not factual. So many things can happen while a person is under. He could lead them, give suggestions or down right implant false memories. That is why it is DANGEROUS! God only knows what he put in your head and you would not even know it! He does not have the medical background to do this and I don't care how many books her wrote........who he is affilitated with...........how many he has done........it does not and will never will make him qualified to do this in the first place. Let him go to medical school. Even then it is a rare to use hypnosis. If he wants to do oral histories then let these people tell him what they know without hypnosis. Can he?? NO!!! Because it just is not bizzare enough. As far as making money........oh believe me he makes money.........off the books, lectures and so forth.......not to mention ego with fame!! As far as advertising he does so by his web site, books, and lectures. As far as him making no claims.........He claims Emma is crazy, he claims their are freaky hybred aliens.....how bizzare is that anyone else would be laughed at or put in a 36hour mental health hold............. Not to mention who does hypnosis of 3 hours at a time over the PHONE????? This guy sure has you wrapped around his little finger. This is what is wrong with people is that we hear or read something and just believe it because someone told them. Majority of people don't use their deductive reasoning, ask questions, investigate, or challenge people of authority. What is right is right and what is wrong is wrong. I taught my children they are to respect others. To respect people of authority such as police men, clergy, elders, parents and so forth........but to not accept everything they tell you. For them to use their brain, to ask questions, to read the text themselves, to investigate and so on. That does not mean they are to be disrespectful. Quit looking at this guy like a god 'cus he is not.

---------- Post added at 12:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

I liken the abduction phenomenon somewhat to the "rogue wave" phenomenon at this point. For many years when ships at sea capsized and the captains told tales of huge waves that towered over their ships the investigators made notes, smiled and joked about the captains privately. Then a few years ago there were photographs of a huge wave that broke over the bow of a large freighter. Now the rogue waves are taken seriously.

If this abduction phenomena is a real one, then eventually there will be a substantial piece of evidence-whether photographic, video or something else. Until that time comes, however, a set series of protocols and regulations should be applied to those "investigators" and hypnotists that cover this field. A good place to start would be an agreed upon series of questions to ask the clients, as well as a standardized questionnaire that provides for statistical analysis of the "abductees."

As far as the show goes, I was not too impressed with the amount of substance provided by the hypnotists themselves. It just seems to me that they have an agenda. Which hypnotist do I go see to prove "aliens are mean" and which one do I see to prove "aliens are kind?" If I go to one does that mean I can't go to the other? What if the abductors are just ambivalent? What if they have no emotional response whatsoever? What if these abductors have evolved without emotion and perform these "abductions" by rote?

As far as the DNA sampling goes, I have stated a long time ago that I don't believe DNA sampling is their purpose for taking samples, or performing other procedures. If anything I would believe it to be mitochondrial DNA, and tracking the population's genetic "tree" which would also be used to correlate population expansion and track breeding/bloodlines and population movement/expansion. But this would only be possible if the abductors have been visiting and abducting for hundreds or thousands of years; and then only probable if humanity is just a galactic science project.

They would not need to abduct someone to get DNA. We leave it everwhere

---------- Post added at 12:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:33 PM ----------

Budd worked with several psychologists for the first few years, Dr. Aphrodite Clamar being the best known. He has on numerous occasions had people claiming abductions go though tests for psychological abnormalities and were found not to have any. Infact I think in some of the cases discussed in ‘Missing Time’ he was not even present at the sessions and he certainly didn’t do any of the hypnotic regressions. When John Mack got on board and came to similar conclusions. I quote from his (Macks) first book Abduction. The introduction includes a paragraph titled ‘Who are abductees?’:

None of the efforts to characterize abductees as a group have been successful. They seem to come , as if at random, from all parts of society…My own sample includes students, housewives, secretaries, writers, business people, computer industry professionals, musicians, psychologists, a nightclub receptionist, a prison guard, an acupuncturist, a social worker, and a gas station attendant. At first I thought it that working-class people predominated, but that appears to be an artifact related to the fact that those with less of an economic and social stake in the society seem less reluctant to come forward. Conversely, more professionally and politically prominent abductees fear the humiliation, rejection, and threat to their position that public revelation of their experiences might bring.
…Efforts to establish a pattern of psychopathology other than disturbances associated with a traumatic event have been unsuccessful. Psychological testing of abductees has not revealed evidence of mental or emotional disturbance that could account for their reported experiences.

I think it would be best to advise someone thinking of speaking to a professional doctor/psychologist/psychiatrist to choose wisely and carefully. IMO there is a tendency to prescribe pills for too many ills (how many in the USA alone or on Prozac, Ritalin? etc). If this is a physical phenomenon (at least on some level that we are only beginning to explore) then the answer is not simply psychological in nature as so many sceptics claim. That may not be something the typical professional is willing to take into account. You may not wish your family doctor to have a lifelong record of you reporting abnormal episodes of missing time or ‘visions’ or UFOs or strange beings with big eyes. Would your health insurance go up after being deemed a greater risk of some pathology or other? Could a divorcing partner use that ‘evidence’ against you to get to the kids? Could an employer asking for a medical report get access to this information now or under some future rules in the medical industry. Not such a simple decision now is it?

Yes it is! If someone is having experiences as these they should see their primary doctor. You don't know what is wrong with the person. Many diseases can cause these symptoms. A patient has a right to choose to take a medication. As far as records the HIPAA act prevents this from being released. As an RN who has worked both the clinical side and the insurance side I know for a fact that you can't get information about a person regarding any psych realted issues or dr notes. If a record is requested even by the patient the record is reviewed first and any psych related notes are not released. Even if the insurance case manager is working with a patient she can't get any information about any psych issues. They are even kept in a differnent system. As far as health insurance going up. Well this is how it works. The insurance company looks at the number of employees.....type of jobs done......and claim cost for the past 3 years..........then the insurance company tries to project the expected costs for then next 3 years. They give the cost breakdown of the different plans and perks available......for example an employer can choose case managers for a cost of $1.23 per employee. The employer CHOOSES what the company wants to pay for and the insurance company provides it. No individual costs are applied it is done by a group. That is basically how it works. As far as hypnosis it should not be done at all it is to dangerous. End of story

I disagree! He is practicing. If he was just collecting an oral history he would not put her or anyone else under hypnosis! An oral history is when you have some one repeat to you an event that is known or remembered AWAKE! ...These accounts are not an oral history because with hypnosis and dreams they are not clear and not factual.

You need to explain your opinions on the definition of collecting oral history to the academic authorities at universities in the United States and to the AMA, because as I understand it they profoundly differ from your view on this issue. Go persuade them, then come back here and let us know how you got on, OK?

If you had read the published literature on the abduction phenomenon including the book of essays published by Kansas University Press and the vast tome published by MIT on the proceedings of the conference on alien abduction at MIT chaired by John Mack, you would know that many of the abduction accounts involve no hypnosis, but those which have utilised this very useful tool to aid memory recovery reveal basically the same narrative as those reported by people with full conscious memory - and there's quite a lot of those.

You seem almost hysterical about hypnosis. Do you have any personal experience of it - or indeed know anything at all about it? Do you have any acquaintance with all the other evidence, such as consistent patterns of bodily scarring which dermatologists ID as a kind of biopsy cut (mine have been biopsied and I have the dermatologist's report which makes for interesting reading)? Have you personally researched the now quite large numbers of apparent implants revealed by radiological scans, and have you been in contact with, or even studied at a distance, the work of Dr. Roger Leir and others in removing and analysing them? In fact, do you know anything at all about the vast range of hard evidence at the heart of this issue? Did you know as an example, that the 22nd Annual Convention of the Association of Psychological Science meeting in Boston on 27-30 May will formally discuss the alien abduction phenomenon and is officially starting to take the issue very seriously - and moreover has invited Budd Hopkins onto its expert panel?

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

He claims Emma is crazy, he claims their are freaky hybred aliens

On a point of accuracy, it is abductees who have claimed this - including EW. DJ has never "claimed" any such thing. What he does is report that people are claiming these things (and I think you mean "there" not "their").

Hypnosis is not the issue where the abduction phenomenon is concerned - to rant on about it is just a distraction. Something real is happening, and if Dave Jacobs, John Mack, Ray Fowler, Budd Hopkins, Yvonne Smith, John Carpenter, Leo Sprinkle and all the other researchers who have investigated and uncovered this apparent reality had never gotten involved or never even been born, it would still be happening and people would still be having these experiences. You should consider looking into it.

Yes it is! If someone is having experiences as these they should see their primary doctor.
...As far as hypnosis it should not be done at all it is to dangerous. End of story

Well it seems that if you ever see a UFO and have missing time at least you know exactly what to do. I never said don’t do it, I just said think long and hard about the possible consequences of your actions and I stand by that.

BTW Hopkins, Jacobs and Mack all have many accounts from people who have not had any hypnosis but have vivid conscious memories of an incident. Do their accounts qualify as oral history?

There may be a lot if problems with using hypnosis, I don’t disagree. But in the end if two consenting adults choose to use it as a tool that’s their right. I mean people do group hypnosis at shows for entertainment, people use it to lose weight and stop smoking. Sometimes it doesn’t work, some people report it can help. Everyone’s different. So are you saying all forms of hypnosis are dangerous and should not be used at all? Or it should be just used by those qualified? Was/Is it OK for John Mack or Dr. Clamar or Yvonne Smith?

You need to explain your opinions on the definition of collecting oral history to the academic authorities at universities in the United States and to the AMA, because as I understand it they profoundly differ from your view on this issue. Go persuade them, then come back here and let us know how you got on, OK?

This is wrong. I took oral research methodology in grad school (history), and am well versed in interviewing techniques from my time at law school as well. Unless you can show me otherwise, I am certain that there is no history program in either Canada or the United States that sanctions the use of hypnosis as part of its oral research programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back