• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

actually existed?

dccruibay66

Paranormal Novice
King Arthur is an important figure in the mythology of Great Britain, where he appears as the ideal of kingship in both war and peace. He is the central character in the cycle of legends known as the Matter of Britain. There is disagreement about whether Arthur,or a model for hime ever actually existed

The historicity of the Arthur of legend has long been debated by scholars. One school of thought is that Arthur was a Romano-British leader who lived sometime in the late 5th century to early 6th century and fought against the invading Saxons. Other writers suggest that King Arthur should be identified as one Lucius Artorius Castus, a Roman dux of the 2nd century, whose military exploits in Britain may have been remembered for centuries afterwards. Another theory proposes that the real Arthur was Artur Mac Aidan, a war leader of the Scots and Brythons. By this theory, Artur was predominantly active in the region between the Roman walls — the Gododdin. Artur was never "king" per se, but rather the son of the Scottish king Aidan Mac Gabran, who ruled from about 574 AD. Another school of thought believes that Arthur had no historical existence, explaining that he originally was a half-forgotten Celtic deity that devolved into a personage.

I don't know if King Arthur ever existed, but I'm still waiting for Avalon to appear from the mist :) Curiously we have a legend here in Portugal that say that our King D. Sebastião, who disappeared in a battle in Alcácer-Quibir (Morocco) in the 16th century, will reappear in a foggy morning. It's a story of hope in an unexpected, forgotten savior (maybe our myth-makers took some inspiration from the British legend.). After all we lost our independence in 1580 to the Spanish crown, because D. Sebastião had left no successors, and only regained it in 1640.

The King Arthur of legend probably would have lived in post-Roman Britain. At a time when there was a power vacuum in Britain in the 5th and 6th centuries, the British had to defend themselves against several invasions. The most worrying of these invaders were the Angles and Saxons from northern Europe. It is during this fight for the control of Britain that the historical figure is thought to have lived.
Any battles King Arthur fought would probably have been against the Saxon invader, who had established themselves in the south east corner of England, and were expanding their territory both north and west. At the same time, their appear to have been Pict incursions into England from Scotland.
The soldiers of this period were not "knight in shining armour" of romance. Their main weapon was a spear and not a of a sword, and you would have been unlikely to have seen them wearing a suit of armour. Battles were generally fought to gain land, and it was not until Badon, where a British defeat of the Saxons resulted in a generation of peace.

King Arthur is an important figure in the mythology of Great Britain, where he appears as the ideal of kingship in both war and peace. He is the central character in the cycle of legends known as the Matter of Britain. There is disagreement about whether Arthur,or a model for hime ever actually existed

The historicity of the Arthur of legend has long been debated by scholars. One school of thought is that Arthur was a Romano-British leader who lived sometime in the late 5th century to early 6th century and fought against the invading Saxons. Other writers suggest that King Arthur should be identified as one Lucius Artorius Castus, a Roman dux of the 2nd century, whose military exploits in Britain may have been remembered for centuries afterwards. Another theory proposes that the real Arthur was Artur Mac Aidan, a war leader of the Scots and Brythons. By this theory, Artur was predominantly active in the region between the Roman walls — the Gododdin. Artur was never "king" per se, but rather the son of the Scottish king Aidan Mac Gabran, who ruled from about 574 AD. Another school of thought believes that Arthur had no historical existence, explaining that he originally was a half-forgotten Celtic deity that devolved into a personage.

It is based on Celt legends even Merlin has the hint of druidry about him. The sword that King Arthur pulled from the large stone, is the same sword the Tuatha de Dannann brought to the British Isles from were they came.

Four treasures were brought to Ireland by the Tuatha all this was recorded in the Annals of four masters.. The four treasures were Dagda's Cauldron The spear of Lugh The stone of Fal and the Sword of light (Excalibur) belonging to Prince Nuada leader of the Tuatha.

If anyone has seen the movie HelLboy 2 the Golden Army I think it is called.. The Fairy prince fighting Hellboy was Nuada.

The Tuatha ruled Ireland according to the annals between 1897 to 1700BC.. The world was then divided allegedly the fairies went underground and build their home there and we humans got the surface of the planet allegedly.

In my opinion, 'Merlin' was a druid , and not in the WoW sense. The legend of King Arthur, the round table etc. echoes in many other European lores. Where the the UK have 'faeries', the germans had 'Kobolde'. some good, some bad. Very interesting how this all aligns.
I just recently, like a month ago, read the Finnish 'Kalevala' (in a german translation) and I have to say and assume that most of northern european 'lore/history' stems from the same ground or at the very least shares the same arc points in stories.

I was listening to some podcast and one of the guests mentioned that his thoughts were that Jesus of Nazereth was King Arthur. His theory was that Jesus left Israel and went north.

Me? I think it's nice to have legends and let them remain legends.

I was listening to some podcast and one of the guests mentioned that his thoughts were that Jesus of Nazereth was King Arthur. His theory was that Jesus left Israel and went north.

That might have been Ralph Ellis:

http://www.edfu-books.com/books.html

He's an intelligent guy and sincere, but has some way-out ideas especially about the connection between The Cheops Pyramid and K2 being alien artifacts. His Jesus-was-really-King-Arthur theories are one of the areas he's best known for.

In my opinion, 'Merlin' was a druid , and not in the WoW sense. The legend of King Arthur, the round table etc. echoes in many other European lores. Where the the UK have 'faeries', the germans had 'Kobolde'. some good, some bad. Very interesting how this all aligns.
I just recently, like a month ago, read the Finnish 'Kalevala' (in a german translation) and I have to say and assume that most of northern european 'lore/history' stems from the same ground or at the very least shares the same arc points in stories.

I think there is a commonality between Greek Norse and Celt mythology. Characters are the same with different names.

Like Dagda was the Chieftain of the Celtic Gods the Romans called Dagda-Taranis was Zeus from Greek mythology.Very Strange cultures would have the same mystical figures just with different names there is a bond there somewhere.

I think merlin was definately a Tauran druid and King Arthur was Human Paladin , i think there is really no evidence other than stories because Blizzard terminated there accounts and banned there IP addresses so they can never grace the plains of Azeroth every again.

Back