• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Special Performance and Security Upgrade!

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
As an experiment, we have signed up with a cloud-based content distribution system, CloudFlare, to enhance our presence around the world. CloudFlare has special strategically based servers in different countries to improve a site's performance and security.

I expect that you'll see glitches over the first few days until DNS issues are smoothed out. In the end, everything should work a little better wherever you are located, except for ET of course. :)

If you want more information about the new service, please check here:

Home | CloudFlare | The web performance & security company

The Monday morning downtime was actually due to a network issue at the datacenter housing our main server in Irvine, CA. CloudFlare hasn't been activated long enough to cache our sites in a way that they can display as fallbacks, partly because we use dynamic content throughout. Rather than try to explain what that means in detail, it's mostly that our content is database-driven and constantly updating.

In case you want to know the cause, it was due to a DDOS attack on the datacenter, the result of Internet criminals in action. Alas, there's nothing you can do to prevent such happenstances, although CloudFlare helps. You can't believe the "bots" and other malware-ridden computers they've kept from infecting us in recent days.

Ive had issues the last couple of days where unless i was logged in, the page formatting was gone, and it was all text

Just had it happen again, again was logged out

Paraformat.jpg

Hope its helpful

I cleared the cache yesterday , didnt help
This has never happened prior to your post about CloudFlare.

Thats not to say its related, but that was my first impression

I'll keep you updated, as i recall yesterday some pages were fine (while logged out) and some like the example i posted.

Well, if it happens again, post a screen shot with some information about your PC setup (versions, etc.), and I'll take it to the CloudFlare people to look into. I'm in touch with them directly now.

Well, if it happens again, post a screen shot with some information about your PC setup (versions, etc.), and I'll take it to the CloudFlare people to look into. I'm in touch with them directly now.
or just switch to a Mac. you can thank me later.

I got another cloud flare specfic error last night, while trying to open the alerts function, something to do with javascripts IIRC, i did take a screen shot but forgot to copy in into paint
But its was a cloudflare driven error message

I will try, im sorry i lost it, it was definately generated by cloudflare, and said so, it had orange borders, and included my port and IP addy along with the error message.

I understand. I would need that, however, to submit to their support people to figure this out. If it happens again, do let me know and try to get me that screen capture. Thanks.

I wonder could you use my IP addy to track back through whatever logs you have, you may be able to find it from your side.
It said something along the lines of cloudflare is running on this site and has disabled java or similar

As an experiment, we have signed up with a cloud-based content distribution system, CloudFlare, to enhance our presence around the world. CloudFlare has special strategically based servers in different countries to improve a site's performance and security.

I expect that you'll see glitches over the first few days until DNS issues are smoothed out. In the end, everything should work a little better wherever you are located, except for ET of course. :)

If you want more information about the new service, please check here:

Home | CloudFlare | The web performance & security company

Im getting this nine clicks out of ten.

paradown.jpg

site is almost unusable at present

Back