• SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY A PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+! For a low subscription fee, you will receive access to an ad-free version of The Paracast, the exclusive After The Paracast podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, plus show transcripts, the new Paracast+ Video Channel, Classic Episodes and Special Features categories! We now offer lifetime memberships! You can subscribe via this direct link:
    https://www.theparacast.com/plus/

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A Science Minute

Is Science the Only Standard for Truth?

• Total voters

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
Interstellar Travel Propulsion
We could get a tiny probe to Alpha Centauri in a few decades
using technology that is possible to build now.

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
Hypothetically, if the objective universe is created on demand to reflect what we first subjectively experience, there is no way for us to know that we are in that situation. Personally I find the idea very unlikely, but if it happens to be the case, maybe what has happened is that we've just created a planet and are controlling its weather.

Last edited:

stonehart

Paranormal Adept
Hypothetically, if the objective universe is created on demand to reflect what we first subjectively experience, there is no way for us to know that we are in such a situation. Personally I find the idea very unlikely, but if it happens to be the case, maybe what has happened is that we've just created a planet and are controlling its weather.
The whole simulated universe theory is a fun intellectual game to play but on a personal level I don't subscribe to it myself...... then again I am not sure which is more scary, crazy, or damn right frightening that we live in a cold expanding infinite universe or a closed simulation? Frankly I prefer the former not the latter for obvious reasons.

USI Calgary

J. Randall Murphy
Staff member
The whole simulated universe theory is a fun intellectual game to play but on a personal level I don't subscribe to it myself...... then again I am not sure which is more scary, crazy, or damn right frightening that we live in a cold expanding infinite universe or a closed simulation? Frankly I prefer the former not the latter for obvious reasons.
There is a third option, which is why I didn't use the word "simulation". I used the word "situation". In other words the situation described can be the case without it being a simulation. We might think of it analogously to whatever situation is imparting the fundamental forces onto what we think of as objective reality. That same situation could be responsible for creating us and our reality on demand, and by extension we could then become the topmost simulators in the overall situation. We could be playing the part of Gods and not knowing it.

stonehart

Paranormal Adept
There is a third option, which is why I didn't use the word "simulation". I used the word "situation". In other words the situation described can be the case without it being a simulation. We might think of it analogously to whatever situation is imparting the fundamental forces onto what we think of as objective reality. That same situation could be responsible for creating us and our reality on demand, and by extension we could then become the topmost simulators in the overall situation. We could be playing the part of Gods and not knowing it.
little bit of dark humor here but this reminds me of this little short film.