• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A newbie to this Forum asks about the San Luis Valley

LegendTripper

Paranormal Novice
This is my first time on the Forum, I hope this gets to Mr. O'Brien. I am travelling to the San Luis Valley the first week of June. My itinerary is riding the many fine railroads in this area, but I would also like to follow the footsteps of your Mysterious Valley series. The Crestone area and attendant happenings has captured my imagination. Could you recommend any viewing areas that are legal and safe for the casual binocular'd individual? I am also looking forward to some hot mineral springs...winter was far too long here! Thanks to you and Gene for the Paracast.

Sure. In the Crestone area there is the Tibetian stupa that sits about 500 feet above the valley floor. Take the main road up into the Baca development as far as you can go—headed south. It ends at the stupa. Great vantage point. Saw many an unexplained nocturnal light from there in the early to mid '90s.

Then there is my fav skywatching spot down at Zapata Falls State Park. Go out Road T to Highway 17. Make a left and head south to Mosca (20 miles or so). Turn right and follow the signs toward the Great Sand Dunes. Go 12 miles until the stop sign then turn RIGHT go about a mile until you see the Zapata Falls sign on the left. Head up the zig-zag road to the top at the parking lot. You will be 1000' above the SL Valley floor. Go early enough so that you can take the short hike to the falls. (1/8 mile). There have been events reported from the grotto including a CSETI group (18 people) seeing Greer and Adamiak bathed in golden light that came from nowhere. Elementals, playful sprite lights, etc. Back down at the parking lot you can see for 300 miles to the west/NW/SW/south. Also watch the burnt out area high on the hillside behind you to the east. Sometimes the whole hill is covered w/ small blinking white lights w/ occasional lights which are a bit larger. If you keep quiet (no screaming and yelling etc) they have been reported coming down from the hillside and approaching people—sometimes all around you!
Enjoy, and give us a report when you're back!

Thanks for getting back to me...I'm excited about the trains, but even more for the skywatching! I sent a response to Gene for the warm welcome, but I don't see it here...I don't want to screw up messaging on the Forum! I wanted to thank you guys for the Paracast, as the introduction to some new names and ideas in Ufology is welcomed. UFO's have been my first "love" since I was 10 and there does not seem to be much new under the sun.
I've read your books, getting the Herd book this week. The thing that stuck with me the most was when you were living in the A-frame home and experienced the poltergeist activity and the shadows walking by the windows...I read both Mysterious Valley books years ago and it still seems unsettling now. Never seen a UFO, but for the ghosts...that deserves a different posting!

Salutations,
Dorette

I will be most interested in you trip. I intend making a trip stateside sometime to take in some 'paranormal' areas hopefully and the SLV is top of the list..

@LegendTripper: How did your adventure turn out?

I've been to Zapata Falls twice, no paranormal lights but what a great place. I'm thinking of heading out there today (I live close) and was doing some reading up on the forums first. I need to check out the Stupa that Chris mentioned.

I wonder how many other Paracasters are in Colorado?

Back