• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

A jack parsons ebook out soon ?

Wade

FeralNormal master
I meant to post this a few days ago. It is a reply to an email I sent to george pendle (author of strange angel) about the possibility of strange angel (one of my favorite books) making it in epub form.

RE: Strange Angel epub ?
Tue, Aug 28, 2012 1:57 PM PDT

Hi Wade,Thanks for your message and i'm flattered to hear you like Strange Angel enough to want it on you at all times! The lack of an
eBook has been troubling me for some time and i'm currently in the midst of negotiations about
getting Parsons' story up for sale in an electronic form. Hopefully by the end of the year we'll have something pulled together. I'll be sure to let you know when we do. Thanks again for the kind words,George

Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:49:07 -0700
Subject: Strange Angel epub ?
To: george pendle @hotmail.com

I've read Strange Angel twice now. It's head and shoulders above sex and rockets but the later is in ebook form, is there anything in the works about getting strange angel in ebook form? It is not my favorite format as I much more prefer the old school way of reading. BUT there are certain works that have had such a impact on me that I feel the need to always have them "on me" but @ the same time I would always go the
hardcover/paperback route first. Strange Angel is one of the books.

Cheers, Wade

Maybe if mr. pendle can make it so he would be a good guest for the paracast, certainly mr. parsons deserves an episode. My apologies if there was one and I overlooked it.

f.w.i.w.

a couple of years back I sent am email to nick redfern about something he said on a c2c show about parsons death.and we had a brief exchange of emails...Nice Fellow

Hi Wade
Many thanks for this. I'm on the road until monday, and all my info is on the computer at home. But when I get home I'll send you all the
various links I have (books and online info) re Parsons and the Homunculus.

Best
Nick

--- On Tue, 10/19/10, Wade Ridsdale
<[email protected]> wrote:
Subject: jack parsons death
To: nick_ redfern @sbcglobal.net
Date: Tuesday, October 19, 2010, 9:52 PM
nick
i heard your interview the other night w/george knapp on coast to coast am about the collins elite and you spent a good deal of time
on jack/john parsons attachment to it. he was someone i always had an interest in and earlier
this year i had read Strange Angel by george pendle. for his part, he did not shy away from parsons interest in the occult. at any rate he did talk about jacks death in some detail but unless i glossed over it (or indeed forgotten ,which is possible) he did not mention anything about the accident happening as a result of jack trying to summon up a homunculus,i do remember crowley all but disavowing jack for his babalon working event
w/hubbard in the desert, and mr. pendle pointed out that jack was too smart and careful to allow such an accident to happen but he MAY
have been a little hurried as he was about to take a quick trip to mexico. at any rate, i would like to follow up on your (or whose ever assertion it is) that his death may
have been attibuted to magick workings or trying to create his homonucleus, could you pls.
point me towards any literature/web sites where this comes up?
thanks in advance, wade

What impressed me most about nick was that he was quite busy and he sent several emails in the interim apologizing for not getting back to me with the requested info. After a few days he did, again nice fellow

Hey Wade
Finally home now and got a decent Net connection again! There are several sources for the Parsons/Homunculus story - Nat Freedland's "The Occult Explosion" and these
links:

Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons

And this one where the person identified as "Paul" is said to be Parsons:

Curtis Harrington | Obituaries | Strange Days | Fortean Times UK

Best,
Nick

JUST IN CASE...anyone is interested, i hear from mr. George Pendle
that his book "Strange Angel" will/should/maybe be out in ebook form by the end of the month. this was a great read in that i always had an interested in one of JPL's grandpappies, Mr. John/Jack Whiteside Parsons. Sex and Rockets is in ebook form as well but i always thought Strange Angel was a more revelent read, sex and rockets was a little more salicious.

RE: Strange Angel epub ?

Saturday, January 19, 2013 3:58 PM

"George Pendle" <[email protected]

I think Amazon will probably be the place to go. But i'll drop you a line once i have all the details.
All the best,
G
ps the stone never even knew what hit it....

Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 15:54:49 -0800
Subject: RE: Strange Angel epub ?
To: [email protected]

thank you so very much for keeping me informed, i assume amazon or maybe even anomalist books will be the place to go?
...sorry to hear about the stone, i hope it was painless for it

--- On Sat, 1/19/13, George Pendle <[email protected]> wrote:
Subject: RE: Strange Angel epub ?​
Date: Saturday, January 19, 2013, 3:05 PM​

Dear Wade,​
I hope all's well. You may remember that we chatted last year about Strange Angel coming out as an ebook. I'm happy to say that one will be available by the end of this month. At least that's what my publisher tells me, and publishers aren't always oracles of the truth, but anyway it should be available soon!​
Apologies for the delay, I thought it would be quick and easy, but all the photo permissions had to be recleared (and repaid for, ouch!) and the book had to be reformatted, and blood had to be squeezed out of a stone, and so on and so on.​
Anyway, keep your eyes peeled.​
All the best,​
George​

Being that this coming October would have been the 100th birthday of one of my favorite enigmatic characters, John "Jack" Whiteside Parsons I'd like to see a Parsons-themed paracast with George Pendle author of Strange Angel as a possible guest.

Sounds great and don't forget Nook ! Parsons' life is like one of those obscene works of art that makes the viewer queasy but still commands attention. Interesting stuff.

Last edited:
Yes please, do keep this thread alive. I am in the process of learning more about Parsons and Cameron. I agree with Wade - a Parsons/Cameron themed paracast would be brilliant!

fwiw, I sent an email to Mr. Pendle last month to check his interest about appearing here and he politely declined...for the time being...

"...Regarding the paracast, it does sound fun but i'm a little snowed under with other work at the moment. Also I'm a little out of shape when it comes to talking about Parsons. After all it was about ten years ago I wrote the book and I'd need to take a refresher course before I could waffle confidently.

Nevertheless how about we touch base again in a couple of weeks and see how things look then. And thanks for thinking of me, and Parsons, as a worthy subject for the paracast...."

Since I know there is lots of stuff we both like Wade, what would you tell me in short about this book that might engage me to get the e-book?
It's good you went to the author and got a positive response, quite often people such as authors/researchers are perfectly approachable and are happy to correspond with readers etc. I think many people sometimes assume they might not get a response, certainly not a prompt one but you've shown that it is worth reaching out.

Ridley Scott to produce miniseries on rocket scientist, occultist Jack Parsons

there are a handful of reasons why i latched onto him. first and foremost i think of him as one of my "renissance" men, he got immersed in a number of things simply because he wanted to see what it was like. if i was going to do a steampunk novel, i would include Parsons, Tesla, and the subject of Walter's newest book, Sir Richard Francis Burton.

Parsons reminds me of myself in many ways was a very curious man and was receptive to many things, this showed in his work history. he never achieved a high setting or position in any job mostly because he didn't stick around for it very long, mostly he accepted it because it helped pay the bills but he didn't seem particularlly interested in them.

on a less pragmatic reaon, the reason why i found him interesting was that he lived in a place in an interesting era that i was enjoy reading about...Southern California pre and post WW2 and the rise of the aerospace industry. if i could live in another era it would be late 30s New York and Post WW2 Los Angeles

Mr. Parsons role in the rise of aerospace rocketry and JATO ( jet assisted take off...essentially little rockets attached to propeller driven planes which preceded the rise of jets) and JPL is somewhat overstated, he did foresee its use in aerospace but he had no access to money or a lab he was a loose cannon and he connected with some students at Cal Tech and sort of forced himself on the guys that were really involved ( Frank Malina and Ed Forman who were students at Cal Tech and Theodore von Kármán who was a teacher there and are worthy reading themselves) but they seemed to tolerate Jack ( well not Von Karman..he didn't think much of him) because they liked him and he did have access via one of his jobs to sorely needed chemicals) he did have a pretty good working knowledge of explosivesives, and indeed was called in as a witness on a case involving an assination of a private investigator by a corrupt police captain involving a car bomb.plus he was a cool guy i guess if not a little off. If i remember correctly Jack was friends with Ed Forman early on intheir teens but whereas Ed went on to higher education Jack sort of bandied about and you could make an argument that Jack took advantage at Ed being a Cal Tech student and had access to grants and labs and such and they started a rocket club GALCIT that i believe was indirectly affiliated with Cal Tech but probably was closer to what we consider today as off the books/black budget i think Von Karman knew of it and encouraged it but if i recall correctly it wasn't official as the school wouldn't look fondly at the idea of having explosives on campus.

lastly this attached picture which also appears in george's book shows the guys collected around Theodore at a rocket test. Noticably missing from the picture (but still there) is Jack . the reason given for this is because even though Jack was a big help in the early days when they had their rocket tests in the arrroyo scaring the bejesus out of Pasadena, by time things go to this point where they were doing tests on aircraft Jack was pretty immersed in his Order of Thelema/Agape Lodge and gave only half his mind to rocketry. Jack was sort of "forced" out of this picture. in the one in George's book if i recall correctly you can see him on the outer edge trying to get himself into the shot.

By the way there is another book on Parsons called Sex and Rockets , i didn't really care for that book because in a manner of speaking that book was about an occultist that happened to have a role in modern rocketry, George's book was far more comprenhensive and it was about a man of many interests..including the occult...that played a role in modern rocketry, at least that is my perception. Thanks for asking440px-Von_Karman_and_JATO_Team_-_GPN-2000-001652_(cropped).jpg

Last edited:
A mini-series?! Ridley Scott? Can't wait to for someone to DVR this one so I can watch!

I think a Parsons-themed Paracast episode is a great idea. Get Greg Bishop, Adam Gorightly, and some third person (?) to have a roundtable riffing on rockets, rationalism, rituals around Parsons' "Freedom is a Two-Edged Sword." Then there's the Babalon Working, the birth of Scientology, Moon Children, portals and paranoia, etc etc

well for my part because this thread got resurrected again, i did jot off another email to George, I do recall seeing an article by him this past year he wrote about parsons and the suicide squad for some online site..i forgot which one so maybe he will be in the mood.

Last edited:
Back