• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

2012 and the maya

Free episodes:

CapnG said:
Ask me again on 12/22/12

And probably after that. There have been ongoing predictions of doom and gloom over the years that have never come to pass.

Of course, Earth could be hit by an asteroid, and then it would be all over, without Bruce Willis to send into space to redirect it first ;)

Barring any unforeseen celestial catastrophe, I'd expect that we stupid Earthlings can probably do something so nasty that we'll just terminate our own existence at some point in the future.

But until then...

Hi All,

Coincedentially one of my last forum posts here back in March 2007 was on this very same topic. (although i've been an avid weekly listener from your archives to the show)

I'll cross-post what i wrote the last time:

The History Channel in their "Decoding The Past" Tv series did an episode on the Mayan Calender. Link

Besides the typical historical back story of the Mayan Calender itself. It makes two scientific correlations that are indirectly related to it, even by chance.

1) On December 21st, 2012 the day the current age of the Mayan Calender ends. Is also the very same day astromony (not astrology) states our Sun will align with the very center of our Milky Way Galaxy. Knowing astronomy 101 that in the very center of all galaxies lays massive black holes. With the Mayan mythology about the underworld at the very center of our Galaxy. How the two avatar like brothers saved their father from trickery in a bad deal with the Underworld overlord. It's depicted in that basketball slash soccer game that the Mayan's created long ago.

So our Sun may have inscreased solar activity, possibly causing a record number of droughts or solar flames to the Earth. If not other strange theoretic gravitional pulls being in alignment with the very center of the Milky Way.

2) Is a Earthly geological event they called "Procession". Where every 25,800 - 26,000 years our Earth does a full rotation on it's axis. Thus the Earth tilts to a new orbit on its axis slightly. Where it completes this full rotation on December 21st, 2012.

Some concerned or exagerrated voices state a magnetic pole shift could occur. Or that this is a component to why "Climate Change" is happening. Since the Earth is adjusting gradually to a new orbit on it's tilted axis. Which in relation to our moon will have rebounded effects to the tidal wave balance or what not.

Link to former thread in the General msg board.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Atrayo said:
Hi All,

Coincedentially one of my last forum posts here back in March 2007 was on this very same topic. (although i've been an avid weekly listener from your archives to the show)

I'll cross-post what i wrote the last time:

The History Channel in their "Decoding The Past" Tv series did an episode on the Mayan Calender. Link

Besides the typical historical back story of the Mayan Calender itself. It makes two scientific correlations that are indirectly related to it, even by chance.

1) On December 21st, 2012 the day the current age of the Mayan Calender ends. Is also the very same day astromony (not astrology) states our Sun will align with the very center of our Milky Way Galaxy. Knowing astronomy 101 that in the very center of all galaxies lays massive black holes. With the Mayan mythology about the underworld at the very center of our Galaxy. How the two avatar like brothers saved their father from trickery in a bad deal with the Underworld overlord. It's depicted in that basketball slash soccer game that the Mayan's created long ago.

So our Sun may have inscreased solar activity, possibly causing a record number of droughts or solar flames to the Earth. If not other strange theoretic gravitional pulls being in alignment with the very center of the Milky Way.

2) Is a Earthly geological event they called "Procession". Where every 25,800 - 26,000 years our Earth does a full rotation on it's axis. Thus the Earth tilts to a new orbit on its axis slightly. Where it completes this full rotation on December 21st, 2012.

Some concerned or exagerrated voices state a magnetic pole shift could occur. Or that this is a component to why "Climate Change" is happening. Since the Earth is adjusting gradually to a new orbit on it's tilted axis. Which in relation to our moon will have rebounded effects to the tidal wave balance or what not.
Oh, there are lots of things that can be correlated with that amount of time. I do favor the astro-zodiac ones, however. Once in a while, a nutcase comes up with some good stories, and I like the Rand Flem-Ath book, "Atlantis Blueprint" for this one. The idea that humans have only been intelligent for the last 10,000 years of 'civlized' agricultural living is a pet peeve of mine. Most of the time scales of other species are in the hundreds of thousands and millions of years, yet we are supposed to believe that 'Poof!', humans all of a sudden became communicators and inventors. This is used to substantiate the religious monotheists' stories and patriarchal authority. Once you throw that away, and listen to your inner animism (and look at Stonehenge for a while), you realize that we are kept from really accepting our evolutionary past and the size of the time scale involved. The zodiacal calendar is a 24 or 48000 year idea (I forgot which one), and involves 2000 year cycles of precession of the stars that are visible when the sun rises. We are just ending the age of Aquarius, which dawned with Jesus (the symbology of the fish, which was taken from a fertility symbol), and Flem-Ath shows how the Sphinx symbolizes the age of Leo. I am fascinated by the possibilities of our past civilizations. Long periods of evolution contradict the ET spawning theories, however. It's hard to say we were 'seeded' by aliens if we can demonstrate a continuous evolutionary development which is intimately tied to the Earth's biosphere. Pretty hard for aliens to come and live among us if every living thing on our planet has evolved only to live with our biota, solar spectra, and radiation levels.
This is one of the main reasons I put most UFO's under the probability category of "Secret Military/Cabal projects".

The damned Baby Boomer generation has latched on to this end of the world Mayan Nonsense.

I CANNOT WAIT til the day comes when they're all in their bomb shelters waiting for the end of the world.

derekcbart said:
Hello.

I posted information regarding the Mayan Long Count Calendar in another thread awhile back. I think this URL will take you to it: The Paracast Community Forums

pasted from that link: "All that is going to happen is that the calendar will get reset to day zero (not one apparently). This is the same thing that we will do when we buy a new 2008 calendar at the end of 2007. There is no difference."
-Derek

The difference lies in the fact that the Mayans concerned themselves with things that would affect their offspring for generations, and that they actually had a calendar that would last for 5000 years.
We only concern ourselves with getting to the weekend or the next vacation days without having to buy another calendar.

ag

auntiegrav said:
derekcbart said:
Hello.

I posted information regarding the Mayan Long Count Calendar in another thread awhile back. I think this URL will take you to it: The Paracast Community Forums

pasted from that link: "All that is going to happen is that the calendar will get reset to day zero (not one apparently). This is the same thing that we will do when we buy a new 2008 calendar at the end of 2007. There is no difference."
-Derek

The difference lies in the fact that the Mayans concerned themselves with things that would affect their offspring for generations, and that they actually had a calendar that would last for 5000 years.
We only concern ourselves with getting to the weekend or the next vacation days without having to buy another calendar.

ag

The calendar system that the Maya used was absolutely amazing, but people thinking that the world will end when the calendar resets is profoundly dumb. The long count calendar resetting is no different than our Gregorian calendar resetting on every January 1st. That's what I meant by "there is no difference."

-Derek

Anything out there in the vein of destruction-of-the-world-on-a-particular-date is pure hogwash and fear-mongering. Humans are going to be fine.

The whole Maya end of the world thing is so that the baby boomer generation of shysters can bilk people out of their money. After that, it will be the GenX-ers doing the same, because stupidity hates a vacuum.

The Maya weren't alone in placing significance on the year 2012. Many ancient prophecies by both individuals and cultures have done the same. It wasn't really about destruction and the end of the world so much as it was about the beginning of a new age—something they believed had happened several times before. I think they looked on it as a positive, natural occurrence. The Mayan calender was extremely accurate, though, and it does make you wonder. I don't know whether anything will happen or not, but I plan to be paying attention, just in case.

Hi Aponi.

Can you please provide details on what other cultures place significance on 2012?

I am only aware of the Maya and the Wikipedia page for 2012 (2012 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) doesn't list any other cultures either, only some authors who predict various things, but they all seem to have used 2012 because the Maya did.

As I wrote earlier even the Maya didn't place any special significance on 2012. That's just when they need to buy a new long count calendar.

Thanks.

-Derek

"Can you please provide details on what other cultures place significance on 2012?

As I wrote earlier even the Maya didn't place any special significance on 2012. That's just when they need to buy a new long count calendar."

Derek, I'd be glad to give you more details. I'll need to go back through some old notes though, to make sure I'm being accurate. I'll try to post something in a day or so. As for your comment on the Mayan significance of 2012, I think you're right, from their perspective. It did signal the entering in of a new age, but they didn't look at it as an apocalypse, as we seem determined to do now. Personally, I think a new age just might do us all a world of good.

Hi there.

Actually, the Maya did not view 2012 as entering a new age. That's just when the longest of their long count calendars ends. The Maya used several types of calendars and the calendars could be integrated with their other calendars. Some were only a few days long, some were a few years long, and then the longest is 5000 years long. It is this last calendar that "ends" on December 21, 2012, but it ends the same way as our calendar "ends" on December 31st. We don't feel that the world is going to end on December 31st, we just need to buy a new calendar for the next year. The 5000 year Maya Long Count Calendar just gets reset for another 5000 years on December 22, 2012.

I feel that it is this basic misunderstanding of how the Maya created and used their calendars that has led to so many people thinking that the Maya predicted the end of the world on December 21, 2012. They didn't. Their calendar system just renews on that day.

-Derek

2012 is just another date on the calendar. Those who see something significant happening on the 2012 winter solstice will feel very foolish when nothing happens. I would encourage you to start making an excuse for yourselves now.

How short our memory is! Just a few years ago, people were sure that 2000 was a significant date, cosmically. Then it was 2006. Now it's 12. Before 2000, there were about a thousand other dates that passed without incident.

I am almost deterred by such foolishness from the entire field of UFOlogy. Then I remember cases like the 1986 Japan Airlines incident, the August 27, 1979 Marshall County, Minnesota Vehicle Interference and Physical Traces Event, the May 14, 1978 Ocala Radar-Visual Case, and a few others which demonstrate unequivocal evidence of alien intervention.

Chuckleberryfinn said:
I am almost deterred by such foolishness from the entire field of UFOlogy. Then I remember cases like the 1986 Japan Airlines incident, the August 27, 1979 Marshall County, Minnesota Vehicle Interference and Physical Traces Event, the May 14, 1978 Ocala Radar-Visual Case, and a few others which demonstrate unequivocal evidence of alien intervention.

I know what you mean. My personal interest in the field started out technical, and I try to keep it that way, but drift into the philosophical way too easily. My technical interest is in the physics and I continue to look for information about the possibilities of our universe that can be usefully applied. Personally, I don't care so much whether what is seen in the paranormal or the conspiratorially denied world is alien, government, or otherwise so much as I want to know HOW it works and how I can build it.
The rest is just marketing and religion (redundant, I know.)
If the Mayans had a calendar that worked over thousands of years, I want to know what else they knew that has been forgotten. I am skeptical of anything that claims to predict the future, but interested in how a Device was used to convince people that it could be done, and how that Device was arrived at.
The same goes for UFO's; filtering out all the anal probe stories and cattle mutilations and LITS (lights in the sky) to find tiny bits of information that relates to how they got here, what effects that witnesses feel, see, and hear, and what branches of the government seemed to be involved is daunting at best.
That's what keeps me interested, despite the side-tracking that inevitably comes with extraordinary claims and unusual evidence.

Back