• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

10 QUESTIONS for "experiencers"

This has been an interesting thread. I made the original list, and it was coming from my first hand experiences - and my own self conscious set of curious "data" points.

Also - I am right handed. And, I resonate more with cats than dogs.

And nowhere in that oriinal set of questions does the term "UFO" appear. I didn't realize that until I read a recent posting from patashnik. My experiences are decidedly ethereal and have minimal UFO content (a little bit, but not much).

E N Q U E S T I O N S :
=================

1. Are you Male or Female?

Male

2. What's your Age?

How rude! OK, 57.

3. What is your educational background?

Masters Degree in Computer Science

4. Are you a creative type?

Sure thing. Try writing software programs some time. Its a modern version of writing a symphony....well, not really. I also make fantastic pictures of Jesus using various kinds of hard macaroni.

5. Do you have any history of depression?

None - but some experiences upset me a lot. I don't think that's the same as clinical depression.

6. Have you ever felt inexplicability "compelled" to examine, pursue or come forward with something associated with this weirdness?

No, but I did recently send my paranormal "true confessions" to Gene. He said he would provide the funds to publish my book of experiences where aliens taught me that life is just a bowl of cherries. I think I could be a great motivational speaker spreading the alien message although I personally hate cherries.

7. This may be a tricky one to answer, but here goes: Success in our society can be rated in multiple ways, and this question may seem shallow, but it pertains (basically) to career and income. Given your intellect and your life skills, are you MORE or LESS successful than, perhaps, you should be?

I think I have been as successful as I should be. I'm proud of how successful I've been, and hope younger generations still have the opportunity in this sad country to also be successful.

8. Someone completely uninvolved with this weirdness would be a 1, and Whitley Strieber (if he is to be believed) would be a 10. On this scale of 1 thru 10, what number best describes you?

9. Have you always considered yourself as an "experiencer" or did you come to realize it at some point recently?

Never was an experiencer, which seems like a positive interpretation. I always felt this was an intrusive unwanted invasion in my life. I knew about such intrusions by the time I was around 5 years old.

10. Concerning the question above, if you realized it recently, when?

I love DOGS! I have a wonderful golden retriever and he's my pal. I've had dogs for 25 years.

I am also left handed, even though my dad used to beat my left and with a ruler when I wrote with it. Then a nun told him that if he didn't stop this, I'd begin to stutter! So he left me alone (is that a pun?). I think when I was a kid, you could not work for the FBI if you were left handed. Honest! He was just trying to get me to be right handed so I could later serve our country. Yes, he was a very strange man. My sister has been in psycho-analysis because of our dad for years.

T E N Q U E S T I O N S :
=================

1. Are you Male or Female? Male

2. What's your Age? 47

3. What is your educational background? Associate degree journalism, Journeyman Electrician.

4. Are you a creative type? Yes.

5. Do you have any history of depression? Yes.

6. Have you ever felt inexplicability "compelled" to examine, pursue or come forward with something associated with this weirdness? Unfortunately., yes.

7. This may be a tricky one to answer, but here goes: Success in our society can be rated in multiple ways, and this question may seem shallow, but it pertains (basically) to career and income. Given your intellect and your life skills, are you MORE or LESS successful than, perhaps, you should be? Depends upon who you ask.

8. Someone completely uninvolved with this weirdness would be a 1, and Whitley Strieber (if he is to be believed) would be a 10. On this scale of 1 thru 10, what number best describes you? There is no scale.

9. Have you always considered yourself as an "experiencer" or did you come to realize it at some point recently? I had higher aspirations before I got on the proper medication. It's been about 12 years.

10. Concerning the question above, if you realized it recently, when? 1998 trigger event. Researched retroactively into childhood.

I was blown away by some of the posts! Amazing accounts - particularly from childhood!

Brad and Sherry Steiger created a similar survey over 15 years ago and compiled the latest results:

http://www.bradandsherry.com/question.htm
http://www.bradandsherry.com/2008update.htm

Here's my answers to Mike's questionaire:

Female

2. What's your Age?

B.A. - History[major] Psychology[minor] / M.S.W. (Masters Degree in Social Work)

No. I don't paint or sculpt. I did play the piano and clarinet when I was a student though and was in the choir in highschool, university and also two local symphonies (for several years) as a mezzo to alto choral member.

No. But, I did experience sudden spontaneous panic attacks beginning at age 20 (which I suspect had something to do with my anomalous experiences - and a sudden partial recall of one). For that past 15 years I haven't had any panic attacks though.

6. Have you ever felt inexplicability "compelled" to examine, pursue or come forward with something associated with this weirdness?

Yes.

7. This may be a tricky one to answer, but here goes: Success in our society can be rated in multiple ways, and this question may seem shallow, but it pertains (basically) to career and income. Given your intellect and your life skills, are you MORE or LESS successful than, perhaps, you should be?

Somewhat more successful, as I've advanced in a career into an administrative position (which means more money and in our society that's what unfortunately tends to define success).

8. Someone completely uninvolved with this weirdness would be a 1, and Whitley Strieber (if he is to be believed) would be a 10. On this scale of 1 thru 10, what number best describes you?

6 1/2

9. Have you always considered yourself as an "experiencer" or did you come to realize it at some point recently?

I knew at about age 10, but didn't describe it as such (there were no labels then).

n/a

11. Do you prefer dogs or cats?

No preference. Currently I have a Shorthaired Domestic Tuxedo Cat (she's 20 years old now) and a Chihuahua (he's almost a year old). Come to think of it though, I prefer 'catlike' dogs. My previous dog was a Miniature Pinscher. I do like small, shorthaired dogs, which to me means little to no smell (cannot stand the smell of dogs).

For over a decade I have been looking at the very strange things that seem to swirl around the "experiencer" (in quotes on purpose) phenomenon, and I've noticed some curious patterns. These questions will obviously clue you in to the patterns I've seen. Nothing empirical, just some not-so subtle stuff that just seems to reoccur over and over.

I like your approach, I am sure you would have some interesting inputs on the thread I started, please join...

T E N Q U E S T I O N S : ================= 1. Are you Male or Female? 2. What's your Age? 3. What is your educational background? 4. Are you a creative type? 5. Do you have any history of depression? 6. Have you ever felt inexplicability "compelled" to examine, pursue or come forward with something associated with this weirdness? 7. This may be a tricky one to answer, but here goes: Success in our society can be rated in multiple ways, and this question may seem shallow, but it pertains (basically) to career and income. Given your intellect and your life skills, are you MORE or LESS successful than, perhaps, you should be? 8. Someone completely uninvolved with this weirdness would be a 1, and Whitley Strieber (if he is to be believed) would be a 10. On this scale of 1 thru 10, what number best describes you? 9. Have you always considered yourself as an "experiencer" or did you come to realize it at some point recently? 10. Concerning the question above, if you realized it recently, when?

1- male
2- 37
3- Art history, Music, Lutherie
4- that's the only thing I can do
5- yes, cyclical every 5 years or so, when I need to "move on", I actually think those are healthy reassessment periods, nothing clinical
6- "Compelled" only when the weirdness manifested itself to me, before that it was just love of knowledge
7- Neither, when I want money I get it, when I want something else I get it too
8- 5 or 6
9- Recently
10- June 2008

I love the patterns in this small sample. Thanks for completing the tally. Here's my two cents:

=================

M

2. What's your Age?

5 yrs university, 2 degrees

Absolutely, in many disciplines

Doesn't everyone? Death, sorrow, doubt and disillusionment are native experiences of life in the modern age. I just use Buddhism to sort it all out to stay on an even keel.

Hmmm...not really. But my interest in the phenomenon comes in waves that wax and wane over decades.

I'm content & feel a sense of honest accomplishment in my chosen profession, but could've turned my brain to a career worth more $$$.

The experience happened when I was 10 years old - the memory is a powerful one but I had a gap where I ad forgotten the experience for almost a decade.

Not applicable.
==============

Sorry Mike but I can't read the chart (even when I zoom in on it).

Went over this thread from start to finish and was a bit surprised that a lot of the forum regulars didn't fill out the questionnaire but then again maybe they never experienced something weird.

I just found the thread but from the first post I thought it was for alien abductees and not for all paranormal experiences.

=================

1. Are you Male or Female? Male

2. What's your Age? 39 (not the age of my experiences)

3. What is your educational background? I have a BS in Game Software Development, I am a 15 year software developer, got college degree late in life but was already a software developer prior. I served 10.5 years in the Marines, so leadership and combat education acquired in that time. Of course I have a high school diploma.

4. Are you a creative type? Definitely.

5. Do you have any history of depression? Yes.

6. Have you ever felt inexplicability "compelled" to examine, pursue or come forward with something associated with this weirdness? No. I found the events fascinating, and regarding the Arizona lights in the mid 90's, I didn't have to come forward. The whole world knew within a week.

7. This may be a tricky one to answer, but here goes: Success in our society can be rated in multiple ways, and this question may seem shallow, but it pertains (basically) to career and income. Given your intellect and your life skills, are you MORE or LESS successful than, perhaps, you should be? I think I am exactly as successful as I should be. I am not rich, but I am far from poor, and I am well trusted among my colleagues.

8. Someone completely uninvolved with this weirdness would be a 1, and Whitley Strieber (if he is to be believed) would be a 10. On this scale of 1 thru 10, what number best describes you? I don't really know Whitley Strieber, but if "uninvolved" means a 1, then I am not sure. I mean I saw what I saw, but my experiences only happened a few times and one of them (the fright experience) was vague at best. Could have been emotions. I would say, I am a 3? I don't really understand the question I guess.

9. Have you always considered yourself as an "experiencer" or did you come to realize it at some point recently? No. My three events were distinct, and only happened the three individual times. I wouldn't call myself an "experiencer" in the sense that this is a frequent happening.

10. Concerning the question above, if you realized it recently, when? Well, when I experienced it. lol. I really don't get this question. Maybe I am just not up on the lingo.

Male

2. What's your Age?
Several years of university level schooling. About to wrap up two AAB's (Digital Video Production and Graphic Design) and two certificates of AAB (3D Design & Animation and Mobile Game Development). I have a year left on a BA (English with a Writing minor).

I like to create things, I guess. I have issues with calling myself something like that. It's like calling myself smart or funny. It feels weird. I am definitely interested and involved in the "creative fields."

Not clinically. I was diagnosed with a panic attack disorder as a teen (that is mostly nonexistent), and, connected to that, I experienced agoraphobia for about six to eight months in my mid teens. Both of these things were originally drug-freakout related. I don't really experience much of this type of thing in my adult life. From 1995 to 1997 I was being prescribed zolloft for these conditions. I took myself off the medication at the end of 1997, noting it wasn't really doing anything and that I had organically gotten over the conditions.

I don't really know what this question is asking.

I have an interest in the paranormal. I have for as long as I can remember. The first time I saw a depiction of a "grey" alien, it sent a sharp terror right through my core. I guess that's kind of inexplicable; though, I think there is something about their overall aesthetic "design" that speaks to innate phobic conditions in the human psyche (large eyes, small nose/mouth, unsettling expression that is difficult to discern, etc).

Probably less. I didn't think it was possible for someone from my financial background to ever go to college, so I didn't really care much about high school. I graduate, but I also missed 147 days of my four years, there. By the time I realized how loans and grants for college worked, I was 22 years old. I probably could have found that information sooner, but it was probably just easier to assume for failure and slack.

Anyway, it's been a slow road, but I hope to leave my current intellectually and creatively devoid job as a welder and jump into my ideal work in the creative fields. I have no blue collar pride, and I'm not psychologically geared for the lifestyle.

I like the lore and I enjoy reading about these things, despite being a pretty thorough skeptic/non-believer. I guess a 2.

I don't understand this question, either. I had two experiences, very early in life, that I interpret as either imagination induced hallucinations or my young mind blending dreams with memory and losing track. I wouldn't call myself an "experiencer," per say, but I do have the memory of these two events.

Back