• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

January 18, 2015 — Greg Bishop

Free episodes:

mermaid-sightings.jpg

People see strange things, always have, always will.

I often wonder what kind of 'intelligence' in this immense, perhaps boundless, universe could/would occupy itself this way with our little local world and our particular species of life.

Or does it do so everywhere, with every species evolving on every planet from here to wherever?
Maybe all those sightings of mermen & merwomen are not really for our benefit? But whatever it is, it is certainly connected to us. To imagine anything beyond our world is to only imagine. But in the history of intersections with the phenomenon there are certain features to it whose effects are sociological, may indicate varying aspects of technology and occupies both the traditionally fearful and fantastic domains of human imagination.

They are creative spaces and those areas are about recreating ourselves, shifting, and altering our own experience of reality. Because they are borderline spaces they occupy a liminal space inhabited by hardly traceable occupants of what appear to be interplanetary extraordinary craft. & they can be utterly terrifying, like linking with an alien mind. The initiation into invisible locations is traditionally one that is challenging & transformative. It's like stepping into The Magic Theatre.

John_Henry_Fuseli_-_The_Nightmare.JPG

People see strange things, always have, always will.

Maybe all those sightings of mermen & merwomen are not really for our benefit? But whatever it is, it is certainly connected to us. To imagine anything beyond our world is to only imagine. But in the history of intersections with the phenomenon there are certain features to it whose effects are sociological, may indicate varying aspects of technology and occupies both the traditionally fearful and fantastic domains of human imagination.

They are creative spaces and those areas are about recreating ourselves, shifting, and altering our own experience of reality. Because they are borderline spaces they occupy a liminal space inhabited by hardly traceable occupants of what appear to be interplanetary extraordinary craft. & they can be utterly terrifying, like linking with an alien mind. The initiation into invisible locations is traditionally one that is challenging & transformative. It's like stepping into The Magic Theatre.

I may not always grasp the full meaning of a BurntState post but goddamn if I don't simply revel in their usual magnificent depth and complexity. More often than not, his subsequent posts make me think more than the actual Paracast episode which inspired them.

I may not always grasp the full meaning of a BurntState post but goddamn if I don't simply revel in their usual magnificent depth and complexity. More often than not, his subsequent posts make me think more than the actual Paracast episode which inspired them.
BurntState should be a repeating guest and/or co-host on Paracast... any past shows?

Also, I think BurntState should do at least an ebook about these subjects. I would definitely buy it!

Lastly, I would like the image file artwork BurntState did for his previous Avatar. The cute pony/horse and Frisbee. Is that available? I would like the highest quality image available. PLEASE. (Just to admire and enjoy.) :)

BurntState is a Jungian collective unconscious that bounces back into my conscious awareness that is much more important and useful than 'just' a nebulous UFO experience!

Last edited:
I agree with most of that, but some of it suggests that we are being directly experimented on. I tend to disagree with that "someone else's property" paradigm. It's far too depressing and only leads to paranoid thinking.

But if that's where the evidence leads? And I wonder which part of us might be someone else's' property?

And I wonder which part of us might be someone else's' property?
We are one with everything, and we are dependent on everything else for our perceived personal survival. In some sense, "property" is a man made construct that is an idea, and separation at our skin surface with the universe is an illusion on many other unconscious levels. Our mind just filters out the oneness concepts to function within our space-time collective mental constructs, so we can function as expected within our society. Many other cultures throughout history have thought very differently than we do about such ideas.

yes - but which part of us is at one with everything? Just because all is one doesnt mean that that functional distinctions as to parts don't exist right?

what if the theosophists were right and the human consists of multiple bodies - the etheric, astral, causal, buddhic etc - all under the umbrella of a "soul"

can we rest assured that this alien intelligence isnt interested in all or part of these parts?

It's far too depressing and only leads to paranoid thinking.
Its possible there were sentiments expressed along similar lines in lounge rooms in the Warsaw ghettos shortly before the SS arrived right? If there is something to the "we are property" idea, perhaps we might want to mount a resistance. At the very least a threat might spur greater scientific interest in the nature of consciousness. Nothing quite like a war to spur innovation...

can we rest assured that this alien intelligence isnt interested in all or part of these parts?
Since we manifest and/or are required to be in the correct space-time continuum to experience such events [my assumptions based on my limited understanding], then we do have some control over our experiences or how IT [various entities] can make contact.

Furthermore, there is the Fear Factor and Thrill Seeker and other brain and/or personality traits that may leave some people much more exposed to such events. One thing I have learned: Some people are so incredibility different that their experience(s) can ONLY BE REAL to themselves AND NO ONE ELSE. Therefore, I respect those that are sincere regardless of whether I can agree or understand them.

IF anyone is susceptible to irrational fears and related behavior, then I highly recommend avoiding these areas of inquiry that might allow you to fall prey to some very negative life-changing occurrences.

If you are young with these issues, then you can wait until much later in life [50+ or retirement] to explore these mysteries. You will likely be much wiser with less Fear Factor, etc. susceptible, and you can learn more over the years and more Human science/knowledge will be gained for everyone in the meantime.

Last edited:
Its possible there were sentiments expressed along similar lines in lounge rooms in the Warsaw ghettos shortly before the SS arrived right? If there is something to the "we are property" idea, perhaps we might want to mount a resistance. At the very least a threat might spur greater scientific interest in the nature of consciousness. Nothing quite like a war to spur innovation...
yes, i like the analogy though in our case we have yet to see the massive roundup of people beamed off planet in our own space train to a new human ghetto. some suggest that the great number of missing peoples is just a slow bleed of humans for ulterior motives.

and they do induce a kind of terrifying fear that is simply shock and awe to our minds and such fear may work as a good motivator to get us in gear. but i think only Jacobs is sounding that alarm and he's obviously not doing it in a very convincing manner. i do subscribe to the potential of us as property, helps to make sense of a lot of Shakespeare and fatalist and existential literature.

the potential of us as property, helps to make sense of a lot of Shakespeare and fatalist and existential literature.

??

. . . we have yet to see the massive roundup of people beamed off planet in our own space train to a new human ghetto. some suggest that the great number of missing peoples is just a slow bleed of humans for ulterior motives.

and they do induce a kind of terrifying fear that is simply shock and awe to our minds and such fear may work as a good motivator to get us in gear

Are we to conclude from the dire direction of your speculations that the immensely powerful other-dimensional 'intelligence' you postulate has been motivated for centuries to 'awaken us' to our eventual doom (to get us to think about 'other possibilities' in our interpretation of reality, to "get us in gear") not because there's anything we could do about it (if it were true) but because it's more fun for that 'intelligence' to draw out our anxiety and terror for said centuries? I'm unable to take seriously that such an entity could exist, thus do not understand why anyone would find speculations about its comprehensive malice a rewarding way to spend his or her lifetime.

absurd.jpg
In a universe that is suddenly deprived of illusions and of light, man feels a stranger. His is an irremediable exile. . . . This divorce between man and his life, the actor and his setting, truly constitutes the feeling of Absurdity.

– Albert Camus, The Myth of Sisyphus

Greg Bishop is interested in shifting the dialogue – it’s what he does. He speaks for the excluded middle, offers a different perspective on the other side of truth. In fact there is a whole wave of invention that is a part of Ufology’s most recent paths. There’s a lot of historical revisionism going on as well.

New ways of seeing old cases is finding odd linkages and skeptical inquiry is poking about the twisted wreckage of what it is we actually know about UFO’s. It’s not that much really. We had the ETH and considered well that aliens from another planet are visiting us. But, given the relative prolific nature of these visits vs. Carl Sagan’s estimate of what's likely, a new way of looking at the phenomenon came in the shape of the IDH. Vallee was called a heretic and ufologists rebelled. But if you look around now you can see how that manner of thinking really has entrenched itself in the next wave of thinking about UFO's. It has also given birth to some interesting, new thinking about the subject.

Sociological connections to strange beings abducting us from long ago present the possibility that this other intelligence has been with us for quite some time and appears to be much closer to us than off world. Enter the CTH and Mac Tonnies. Possibilities for the crypto terrestrial hypothesis are wide-ranging and underdeveloped. Still, there’s something so deliciously sneaky about the potential of it all that it’s easy to see how this non-human intelligence has a wicked sense of humour. Maybe, if you live in the shadows, or are hiding there, maybe if you are an alien colony stuck on earth, you might take great pleasure in messing with the evolved intelligence of earthlings. It also feels like a healthy bit of Schadenfreude might also be part of their approach in “appearing” to us.

Bishop gave the suggestion that perhaps the phenomenon is something common to the planet, like the wind (reminded me of Hynek's elementals), and that our experience of this potential natural intelligence is one that is similar to some, but not all, DMT users who experience classic grey alien abductions. If this phenomenon is something that we are a co-creator of then the alien meme is one that is firmly planted in our minds and perhaps, with the right set of perceived sensory experiences, or the right sequence of neurochemistry, that’s just what you get - alien communion.

There’s a surreal quality to the UFO study. There are so many strange stories, odd inconsistencies, an incredible array of craft and potential occupants. On the face of it, such variety makes Earth one of the must see places in the Galaxy given the variety of visitors that we have. We need to set up some kind of upper atmosphere tollbooth to take advantage of all the traffic. The global economy could certainly use it.

storytelling.jpg
But if this phenomenon is originating from around here, then making contact and interrupting this one way performance is still an imperative for those who think they can catch eels barehanded. I also wonder just how close to us they really are? During "After the Paracast" Chris O’Brien described his experience of some very surreal two-dimensional beings in response to which alien event he would time travel to, and something clicked for me. If I could time travel back to any UFO sighting I would want to go back to the only one that propels me in any important way – my own. The UFO experience is a deeply personal one and I’m starting to think its also a very internal experience.

Perhaps the great degree of variation and confirmation of our expectations of the UFO directly involves our own role in writing and remembering these ultra-unique sensory events. They certainly have a hallucinogenic clarity about them, and they definitely inspire a glossolalia in witnesses, hence the long post.

When asked what fields of study we should be looking at to help aid in the pursuit, to shift the discussion, Greg Bishop, a true Discordian, said, "the Absurd." And the more you investigate those up close and personal witness based events you know just how bizarre they can get. There's something there worth figuring out about these sky koans i think. In a favourite case, out of Wendy Connors’ Faded Discs, a giant tank like UFO descends from the sky into midday traffic. A human like occupant crawls out of a top hatch and yells down to the witness, calling him by name, “Hey Bob, what do you think of this?!” and then climbs back in the wild flying structure and it shoots back up into the sky.

For anyone, like Bob, who might be investing years and decades into finding an answer, be prepared for a good long dose of exile to existential lands; because, in a world that makes no good sense you must be prepared to write your own story, you co-creator of cryptic visions. Share your story if you dare.

Last edited:

a lot of our literature is concerned with the role of free will and fate; consequently, that notion of whether or not we really run this planet subscribes to Charles Fort's famous statement regarding our status as property. this feeling may well be distilled into our various inventions of religion, looking for a dad, or writing stories about looking for some control over our lives.

Are we to conclude from the dire direction of your speculations that the immensely powerful other-dimensional 'intelligence' you postulate has been motivated for centuries to 'awaken us' to our eventual doom (to get us to think about 'other possibilities' in our interpretation of reality, to "get us in gear") not because there's anything we could do about it (if it were true) but because it's more fun for that 'intelligence' to draw out our anxiety and terror for said centuries? I'm unable to take seriously that such an entity could exist, thus do not understand why anyone would find speculations about its comprehensive malice a rewarding way to spend his or her lifetime.
i don't think that there's any Lovecraftian design at work, but it is also interesting when we look at the fiction of Wilson (Mind Parasites), Lovecraft and K. Dick we do see this repeated theme of some non-human intelligence running the show from behind the scenes:
wizard-of-oz-man-behind-the-curtain1-300x199.jpg
as stated previously above i don't like to think that way though as it limits our potential as a species and i imagine us to be more than property or design just for the sheer freedom of believing in a species that has its own will and direction. but, as we know from ufologists like Keel and many others that the idea of the UFO as demon is its own belief system. I don't buy it either but i do acknowledge that the whole space brother thing is wishful thinking and that most humans, except for Travis Walton, when confronted by something as wild as alien visitation, tend to run for cover. And even Travis acknowledges, that when face to face with an alien intelligence screaming in fright is usually the first order of business. That's why these things do occupy a bit of the nightmare zone - it is liminal, an altered experience. In such theatres, anything goes.

Last edited:
yes, i like the analogy though in our case we have yet to see the massive roundup of people beamed off planet in our own space train to a new human ghetto. some suggest that the great number of missing peoples is just a slow bleed of humans for ulterior motives.

and they do induce a kind of terrifying fear that is simply shock and awe to our minds and such fear may work as a good motivator to get us in gear. but i think only Jacobs is sounding that alarm and he's obviously not doing it in a very convincing manner. i do subscribe to the potential of us as property, helps to make sense of a lot of Shakespeare and fatalist and existential literature.

Not to mention Gnostic ideas and matrix like concepts of us existing in a demigods computer simulation, with the true loving God existing outside of our cage – our purpose being to realise our ensl and break free
??

To look for evidence suggesting the most extreme alternative possible is hardly the only response available.
No, it isn't which is why I don't see that as a likely possibility, and often try to point out some of the more nuanced aspects of the phenomenon. The back & white, either/or thinking is rather limiting, no? Let's talk about something else.

Constance, whilst your identification of these ideas as mere speculation is critical, and undoubtedly correct, the idea of a threat is a multifaceted one.

I'm not a fearmonger, though when I first started upon my investigations in these areas I quickly came upon the scarier side, especially the work of Dr Karla Turner who was a strident and eloquent whistleblower on the abduction phenomena. Her first book is well worth the read though it's not a pretty picture she paints.

It is remarkable how little she is referenced now, I suppose because Dr David Jacobs gets all the attention, but as you look deeper into some of these areas, one gets exposed to the notion that whatever it is that we humans are, there are many levels, phases, states, whatever you want to call it that comprise us. Lucid dream studies, for example, are highly suggestive of an independent aspect of our intelligence functioning autonomously and interacting with a spectrum of other intelligences. 19th century esotericists and theosophists drew heavily on aspects of Buddhism and posited seven human bodies, going through the astral, etheric, causal, buddhic etc all the way up to our final merger with the Godhead - all "bodies" performing different functions within the template of our individuated self.

There is a quite a bit of anecdotal stuff floating around about other intelligences interest in our souls, or parts thereof. certainly a very strong suggestion in the abduction literature as to a, frankly, creepy interest in the human soul. There is also a long lineage of cryptozoological creatures such as succubi and incubi that were said to feed off our sexuality. Poltergeist activity seems to correlate strongly with human emotional states also. The Ouija board is notorious for the unwelcome attention of negativity.

I'm certainly not suggesting that it is all doom and gloom, but nor am I pushing the idea that the return to source is an easy, or predestined matter. The existence of evil is a controversial and involved topic, but I see no reason why there are not many pitfalls for some or all of us on that road. My gut tells me that the ending is a happy one, but the journey isn't necessarily smooth.

My attitude is a precautionary one. Wilful ignorance, or a head in the sand attitude, is dangerous and I take the attitude of spiritual health and protection seriously.

It would be fascinating to learn more details about this. What was experimented with and experienced?

Thanks for sharing your experiences! Fascinating!

Btw, IIRC, Spacebrother experimented with DMT(?) and saw UFO's all over the night sky. (Recalling by vague memories here.)

It was LSD. It may have been made up by my mind, it may have been my mind tuning in to a wavelength that is normally invisible, or it may have been a combination of the two. Or something else.

Greg: I’ve noticed that there’s someone here who suggests there was a hidden agenda in the production of “Mirage Men” with some type of CIA involvement. Any thoughts on this?

Greg: I’ve noticed that there’s someone here who suggests there was a hidden agenda in the production of “Mirage Men” with some type of CIA involvement. Any thoughts on this?
I don't think so. If anything the producers may have been attempting to expose American ufology, rather than cover up any big secrets.

This is a trivial point, but in one post above, someone seemed to suggest that this phenomena creates the fear in us. However, as someone who has had paranormal experiences both inside and outside the classic UFO and alien abduction scenario, I can attest that the human being seems to react with fear from a visceral level. Every hair stands on end. As Whitley Strieber put it, we are reduced to an animal level by the paranormal. I do not believe the phenomena itself consciously creates this fear (some people believe paranormal entities create our fear and feast on it). I suggest that although that might be true, it seems we are simply hardwired to react to something truly paranormal with innate fear, a fear so complete that the body becomes fear itself and our conscious mind ceases to be who we are at that moment. I suspect this response is extremely ancient and may come from the Reptilian brain or an even deeper level of functioning. My point is just that the overall paranormal seems to invoke a Fear Program, as if our body itself is reacting to stimulus that we may not even consciously be aware of. The paranormal is direct experience of a reality that we were never designed for in terms of living and surviving on good old planet Earth.

Well, that's just how the experience felt to me. Bear in mind that animals also seem to share this response. The classic pre-runner to a paranormal experience is often the ungodly silence of crickets, birds and all nature.

So if you could overcome that instinctual paranormal fear what do you think communion with that alien intelligence would be like - all wild chaos or that usual subdued meme of people claiming not to have any emotion as the greys are guiding them to the ship and they're all drugged and robotic?

Can you say anything different about alien contacts that are calm vs. those that are as terrifying as Pascagoula?

Back