• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

your show is ok not great but ok

i know i enjoy causing chaos
On a political board where I'm an admin, that would be considered an admission of trolling, and would be followed immediately by a quick trip into the Admin CP to perform a trollectomy.

The term "troll" is from the Usenet (our older puter guys know what that is). Here's the definition from the ubiquitous Jargon Dictionary.

troll

1. v.,n. [From the Usenet group alt.folklore.urban] To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it. See also YHBT. 2. n. An individual who chronically trolls in sense 1; regularly posts specious arguments, flames or personal attacks to a newsgroup, discussion list, or in email for no other purpose than to annoy someone or disrupt a discussion. Trolls are recognizable by the fact that they have no real interest in learning about the topic at hand - they simply want to utter flame bait. Like the ugly creatures they are named after, they exhibit no redeeming characteristics, and as such, they are recognized as a lower form of life on the net, as in, "Oh, ignore him, he's just a troll." Compare kook. 3. n. [Berkeley] Computer lab monitor. A popular campus job for CS students. Duties include helping newbies and ensuring that lab policies are followed. Probably so-called because it involves lurking in dark cavelike corners.

Some people claim that the troll (sense 1) is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial. See also Troll-O-Meter.

The use of `troll' in either sense is a live metaphor that readily produces elaborations and combining forms. For example, one not infrequently sees the warning "Do not feed the troll" as part of a followup to troll postings.
troll

riggs2099 said:
oh yeah you all seem to take this UFO stuff to serious. just to let you all know there are more important things out there.

Of course we take it seriously...HERE. That's what this place is for, serious discussion and anaylsis. Doesn't mean we're humourless pricks mind you but we want to examine this stuff critically. Believe it or not, some of us are actually capable of putting on our "serious hats" for a few minutes and then taking them off later, you don't have to live and breathe this stuff to appreciate the paracast.

riggs2099 said:
tell me none of you take RICHARD C. HOAGLAND or the other moon guy seriously...lol

Okay, I don't take Hoagland or that other guy seriously. Unless of course that other guy is someone I DO take seriously, then yes. It would help if I knew his name....

BTW, I'm still waiting for some of that constructive criticism I requested earlier (hint: "Pander to your guests" doesn't count).

oh yeah you all seem to take this UFO stuff to serious. just to let you all know there are more important things out there.

Such as?

Helping preserve our environment, understanding our place in the universe, ending gov. lies, evolving, developing space travel so we don't go extinct, understanding the mind body and spirit, the nature of god etc. are all tied into the ufo subject matter. Again. What is more important? Trolling forums?

Glad to see you spend your time doing very important things like trolling forums and making no sense what so ever.

You take us not taking things lightly too seriously and therefore become what you criticize.

(I only came upon the remark I quoted via another poster's quotation of it I haven't been reading most of the OP's replies. I'm sure I'd be here all night if I read more and there's other threads I'd like to check out.)

cottonzway said:
But the guests aren't on these forums, the hosts are. :)

Actually, at least a few of us pop by here from time to time (Jeff Ritzmann is another).

Paul

Leclair you just named everything else that is more important. And the other moon guy is....DAmn forgot his name but anyways he is the one who believes the moon has an atmosphere and that souls come from the moon or something like that. i like Capn G's response, he is someone that seems to be an adult who can keep his feelings in check. not like some of you who appear to get angry, and i am including the host, who always seems to threaten to ban, i say go for it, no big thing to me. just joined to let my feelings be known and of course i expected to get negative feedback and possibly banned but whatever.

and capn g if im still here ill look into putting in some constructive criticism. just too fun though to rile people up but ill try to maintain myself..lol..if possible.

riggs2099 said:
Leclair you just named everything else that is more important. And the other moon guy is....DAmn forgot his name but anyways he is the one who believes the moon has an atmosphere and that souls come from the moon or something like that. i like Capn G's response, he is someone that seems to be an adult who can keep his feelings in check. not like some of you who appear to get angry, and i am including the host, who always seems to threaten to ban, i say go for it, no big thing to me. just joined to let my feelings be known and of course i expected to get negative feedback and possibly banned but whatever.

Those important matters *aren't seperate* from the subject of ufos but are contained within it. Unless you strictly look at the simple "lights in the sky" aspect of it. The ufo subject matter is loaded with possibilities of visitation by advanced beings. Learning what they know is of great importance for our survival, understanding, spiritual and mental evolution as well as biological.

Moon guy, sounds like Lear.

Implying some of us are childish? Re read some of your posts. Pot meet kettle.

riggs2099 said:
i like Capn G's response, he is someone that seems to be an adult who can keep his feelings in check. not like some of you who appear to get angry, and i am including the host, who always seems to threaten to ban, i say go for it, no big thing to me. just joined to let my feelings be known and of course i expected to get negative feedback and possibly banned but whatever.

If you state that your main reason to be here is to create chaos, and I am to take your statement as factual, then you obviously want to be a disruptive element, and you will be banned. It's really simple - you can be a constructive member of our virtual community, with your opinions as they are, and you'll be welcome here. If you want to be destructive, you're outta here.

dB

riggs2099 said:
DAmn forgot his name but anyways he is the one who believes the moon has an atmosphere and that souls come from the moon or something like that.

Then no, I don't take him seriously. I have been intriguied by some mention of bases on the backside of the moon but these always seem to concern sealed "biodome" type structures (which make sense on an airless body like the moon). Peaking my interest does not automatically translate into a belief however.

riggs2099, just how old are you? Sorry if this is insulting but your posts come off as slightly childish and immature - provoking reaction just because you can. So, I'm guessing you're in high school?

This relates though to the topic of "Youth and UFOs" - if younger people did take a greater interest in ufology and the paranormal, boards such as this would probably have to change (read: lower) their standards of discussion and be prepared to boot off the trolls that would inevitably come. So, while getting the kids of today interested in paranormal topics is important, maybe they can stick to myspace or youtube for their discussions.

:D

David Biedny said:
If you state that your main reason to be here is to create chaos, and I am to take your statement as factual, then you obviously want to be a disruptive element, and you will be banned. It's really simple - you can be a constructive member of our virtual community, with your opinions as they are, and you'll be welcome here. If you want to be destructive, you're outta here.

dB

David, obviously this guy has no interest in furthering the intellectual side of the discussion. He's here for his own amusement, and for no other reason. For what it's worth, I don't think anyone would shed a tear if you banned him straight away. We all put time and thought into our posts because we appreciate what you and Gene are doing and we want to contribute. It's clear he isn't interested in taking part, only being a nuisance.

I've been on plenty of boards, not just UFO/Paranormal ones where people like this come and single-handedly ruin the discussion. My vote is just to get rid of him now before he really stinks up the place. This is one of the few places I feel I can go on the 'net and get some intellectual discussion about my favorite topic. Please don't let this idiot in.

Tony2007 said:
David, obviously this guy has no interest in furthering the intellectual side of the discussion. He's here for his own amusement, and for no other reason. For what it's worth, I don't think anyone would shed a tear if you banned him straight away. We all put time and thought into our posts because we appreciate what you and Gene are doing and we want to contribute. It's clear he isn't interested in taking part, only being a nuisance.

I've been on plenty of boards, not just UFO/Paranormal ones where people like this come and single-handedly ruin the discussion. My vote is just to get rid of him now before he really stinks up the place. This is one of the few places I feel I can go on the 'net and get some intellectual discussion about my favorite topic. Please don't let this idiot in.

In the words of the incomparable Smoky Robinson, "I second that emotion"! :)

Considering my earlier behaviour; I am going to have to apologize to some of you. Yes, my remarks were immature but i did it as a sort of test. It is a test that I use to weed out the children from the adults and I have always found that no matter how intelligent someone comes off, they will show their true colors when it comes to having a disagreement with someone. They will resort to name calling and basically act like jerkoffs. I am glad that not everyone reacted the same way; some of you did not like my comments but you acted mature about the situation and did not turn into a child. So sorry to those that do not have anger management issues. I got kind of dislike/like relationship with this show, on one hand I feel the hosts (to me anyways, disagree if you want) feel like they no more than their guests but on the other hand I do agree with them on how to handle paranormal issues, not walk into it with open hands that are willing to believe everything handed to them. I guess i should not have said hosts when it is David that irks me, Gene not so much. I guess he will always do so but I do respect how he does question the guests about their encounters and will ask the critical questions that need to be asked. John Lear, at first, sounded credible until the whole atmosphere and soul machine subjects. I do want to know if he will be back because if he returns then why not the infamous BM jerk, both of their stories are ridiculous and so full of nonsense that any idiot would tell you the same thing (I know those that don't like me will make some statement about me being the idiot...lol). Anyways I will continue to listen to the show; because after all it is free and David will continue to annoy me..lol...but that's something I will have to live with. Oh yeah ..... just to let everyone know i do enjoy C2C so I will stand and take the barrage of insults that come with that statement. This ones for INit....YEEHAWW

John Lear has never been on our show, so you might want to check what kind of mushrooms you've been eating. Children should be careful about what they put in their mouths.

dB

Back