• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Your Paracast Newsletter — October 23, 2016

We started at 90 minutes. We could stay two hours, which is approximately the length of the show minus the ads. Sometimes it's not enough.

I had the opening scene in my most recent feature film cut to roughly 9 minutes. I thought it was all gold. Every word mattered to me. When I sent the rough cut to our British distributor, he asked me to cut the scene in half, and overall to trim the run time for the film from 123 minutes down to less than 100, because the film in general and that scene in particular were way too long. We had a long back and forth about it, and eventually I came to see that he was right. Less is usually more.

The primary reason I stopped co-hosting years ago was GCN. I was happy to give the contracts a look-over for Gene, and I didn't tell him not to take the deal because at the time it seemed to offer a revenue model that could work down the road, which he needed (and I did not), but I left soon afterwards (I might have done one last show as a co-host... I can't recall) - I wanted nothing to do with Alex Jones, ever.
You are obviously a man of integrity and honor. BRAVO! I stopped listening to Coast to Coast when I found out it was offered as a package to radio stations along with that prime hatemonger Rush Limbaugh and mini-rush Glenn Beck and the other right wing loons from Fox News.

Part one gives us a chance to catch up with listeners and alert them to upcoming events, news, shows, etc. So it's not so much "shooting the breeze" but having a personal dialog ahead of the interview. Sometimes we involve the guest in the introduction, as we did this weekend.
I understand that, but until you build a large fan base in the larger world, no one is going to care about your political views, that Chris has been sick, your jokes (enough unsaid), etc. When I discover a new podcast, I don't know the host(s) from Adam. So if they ramble on about themselves I tend to just move the arrow beyond them to the actual guest content. As Paul Kimball implied, you can always cut the banter and still get across any news. Now, Jimmy Church (FADE TO BLACK) has an extensive intro period each night. But he has a very dedicated fan base that love him. He has a very "radio" voice and can make it work. With all due respect, you guys don't have "radio" voices. You have pleasant voices but nothing that entrances or enchants. I wouldn't even try to build a cult of personality. Just go for the guests. You have ATP for indulging in personal chats.

I used to subscribe to MYSTERIOUS UNIVERSE. The shows seemed highly scripted and edited to be tightly packed.

Then they hired a third guy and it took on a slacker vibration. They would spend a lot of time (in my opinion) making jokes about each other and laughing uproariously at their own wit. It was like listening to guys in a fraternity. Maybe it is just me, but I couldn't take it so I dropped my subscription.

I think another HUGE question is what product you can provide that isn't offered FOR FREE all over the internet today. UFO & Paranormal content is EVERYWHERE and totally free on the internet from the USA and the UK, plus Canada. So how do you differentiate YOUR show so that people want to subscribe? You now have so much free competition out there. Is the market saturated? What could you provide that others do not? Certainly it is NOT the After the Podcast segment which I honestly don't think enhances the show much at all.

I do not have answers. But these are important questions. Why pay to listen to Stanton Friedman and Kathy Marden when they are both FREE on YOUTUBE and other podcast shows? Maybe others have answers. Is there a niche that is being ignored?

I think it's fair to say that we make the difference compared to other shows. Now all paranormal radio shows are the same, as we've demonstrated for the past 10 years.

The votes are still coming in. I reached out to thousands and it will take a couple of weeks to get enough answers to show a trend.

I think it's self obvious here what we contribute to the pool. You merely asked a question that is already answered by the presence of The Paracast.

The only point you appear to be making is that we shouldn't charge for the show, since so much other content is free. Maybe you get what you pay for?

We have a larger fan base in a larger world.

If all you want are fans that's great. But if you treat it as a business, often times being a bigger fish in a smaller pond (especially if you own the pond) is the way to go. I guess it's a question of whether you're doing it as a for-profit venture, because if you are the model you're using and the metrics you're using aren't working.

I would rather have 1,000 dedicated listeners pay me $7 a month than 100,000 listeners who paid me nothing, unless, as is the case for me, it's just a hobby.

The hope is for 2,000 listeners paying $5-6 per month. :)

Remember, it has to cover the needs of Chris and me, and I'm not getting any younger.

The rest would be gravy.

But with our listener base, we should have that and more with Paracast+ without the need for cutting back on the free stuff. I just think we have to promote it better, make the signup and usability better.

But with our listener base, we should have that and more with Paracast+ without the need for cutting back on the free stuff. I just think we have to promote it better, make the signup and usability better.

With respect, you've been saying that for years, and nothing has changed. Promotion and usability aren't the problem. The problem is that GCN makes the money from your work, not you and Chris.

First rule of business (or anything, really) - if it isn't working, try something else.

As an example of what "the kids" are doing, I have a young friend who has a weekly podcast, completely unrelated to the paranormal. I asked him how he makes money at it, and he told me (on condition of me not telling anyone who he is).

He has a number of subscribers every month, which accounts for around $5,400 (some of the subscribers are yearly at a lower rate). He also offers individual episodes for sale, for another $3,000. That's $8,400 per month, roughly, and he doesn't do any real promotion or anything - it's been word of mouth. His overhead is very low. But he offers something a certain group of people want and value, and he expects them to pay for it. And they do.

He uses the money he makes to augment income he gets from other sources.

There's no reason this model wouldn't work for you, especially as you already have an audience.

Anyway, my two cents.

And the third option is the podcast network with revenue sharing that has been presented to me. But I have no figures on the potential yet. Or how it'll integrate with the other things we do.

OK, I did a little investigative reporting and checked with my sources at GCN.

The situation is more nuanced than it seems. So on the surface, GCN appears to run spots and make plenty of money on our backs, on our free labor. In exchange, we receive 9 minutes of ad slots per episode and try to make it work.

But that's true for ALL GCN hosts, even that guy who hangs with Donald Trump. They all have to make it on their own with ads, sites, etc. So I'm sure InfoWars is pulling in cash because Alex Jones found a way to cash in without depending on GCN for a paycheck.

GCN has a fixed cost per show. They pay an hourly fee for the satellite uplink, via Westwood One, to feed local stations. They have to pay a full-time engineer, affiliate relations people, publicity people, producers and traffic. So they pay several thousand dollars per month to carry The Paracast and The Tech Night Owl LIVE. Now that we have roughly two dozen affiliates each, I'm sure they are making money. Not a lot. To them, it's about quantity, and the total income from 82 shows adds up.

The other advantage of GCN is guests. Book publicists look for potential audience, and they reach out to us with people like Gary Lachman because of that. Before I booked Stanton Friedman and Kathleen Marden on the show to talk about their latest book, I got a PR sheet from their publisher. They didn't select The Paracast because I've known Stan for 40 years. They did it because we had an audience that appealed to them.

That doesn't mean we stay with GCN. We have to look at our needs and how to meet them.

If we go subscription-only, 99% of our listeners are history. Although the vote doesn't reflect that, I've gotten private emails that make it clear there are many people out there who aren't prepared to pay for a show. There's also too much free paranormal content online, so they go elsewhere, even if The Paracast is better. If we have 1,000 listeners, confined to a paywall, book publishers and major guests will look elsewhere to send guests. They will look at other potential sources on GCN and other networks.

That doesn't mean we should not go subscription-only, but we have to be realistic about what happens. It's not just the same show behind a paywall. There's a consequence.

There is another available option, to transfer to an all-podcast network, a major network, and it means revenue sharing. Does it reduce our potential audience? Maybe not, and maybe it continues to give us the prestige to attract the best guests. I'm still waiting for an answer from them as to what they are offering.

There are loads of nuances in all these decisions, and in the end we will do what we think is best for our bottom line, and with full respect to loyal listeners who have stuck with us for up to 10 years without asking anything of us but to give them a great show every week.

So I have made some snap analyses here. But I am not making a final decision. I know Chris wants us to move the show, but we have to make sure we know where and we are prepared to deal with the upsides and downsides. It's still very much about the money.

... It's still very much about the money ...
You have to do what you can to make a living and nobody should begrudge you that, but for me, ufology has never been "about the money". Yes I'd like to be able to earn a living from it, but at the same time I also think that information about alien visitation should be freely available. Yes I would charge for my book on ufology if I ever get the damned thing done, but at the same time, I don't charge for USI memberships or site access. There has to be a fair balance and I think that merchandise and advertising revenue is the fairest way to monetize this subject because it doesn't restrict access to the content.

IMO staying with GCN should be less dependent on what they pay you and more dependent on the freedom they give you to market your product to others as well. If you don't already have redistribution rights for previously aired episodes then get them without any strings attached. Then syndicate the show elsewhere for a fair price and get affiliate programs going with anyone and everyone who wants to sell your products. That would give you more of an audience and make you more money at the same time.

Or not ... whatever. I just hope that whatever you do, it works out for you.

Last edited:
We have distribution rights in the sense that we can post the free shows on our site and anywhere we want. We also can strip them of ads and put them behind the paywall, which has begun, but I just need the time to continue. We have total freedom to sell ads except for gold, silver and similar collectibles since the parent company of GCN is in that business.

As to taking episodes and making a CD or DVD collection, sure. Not terribly visual, but CDs, yes. Maybe even package a single file of episodes sold separately.

How so?

Paul, I know you are being helpful. You opened a discussion we have to have. But everything we consider has ups and downs and we have to look at both.

If you guys gave up terrestrial radio -- and it's format/style -- but it would make you more money, would you do it?

Back