• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

You Can Help Make The San Luis Valley Camera Project Become a Reality!

I am unclear. What does exactly does Chris have to prove to you and others? He has spoken about the San Luis Valley project numerous times on the podcasts. He has asked for financial help now. From the replies, I only see a handful of people who have said they will help fund him.

As usual, most posters here just want to chit chat. When it comes to opening their wallets for something worthwhile, they suddenly become deathly quiet. He isn’t even asking for huge sums, just a few dollars through Patreon.

Perhaps Chris is correct. Ufology is really about the celebrities. When it comes down to getting some real answers most people here won’t put their money where their mouths are.

At the risk of way-laying the purpose of this thread, I will answer, but hope the thread reverts to Chris' purpose. :)
I am unclear. What does exactly does Chris have to prove to you and others? He has spoken about the San Luis Valley project numerous times on the podcasts.
Chris does not have to prove anything to anyone else. I do not speak for others. By 'prove himself' I perhaps mis-spoke. My point was simply that Chris' being willing to entertain question-and-answer on this thread regarding his research is a win-win for him and others. That's all. It will prove he is a scientist of some sort, if only an amateur in the best meaning of that word.

Speaking on a radio show 'numerous times' does not constitute a question-and-answer regarding research. Plus not everyone has necessarily listened to exactly the one (or two or three) Paracast shows at the very time Chris was talking about his research. Perhaps this thread might be the grand opportunity to really lay it all out? Seems it might be. Plus, the more eyes looking at rationales for research the better. Can only improve the science. In my experience.:cool:
He has asked for financial help now.
And that's interesting. I simply pointed out that a willingness to engage in question-and-answer regarding his research will only be to his benefit, possibly financial benefit, too. I was suggesting that Chris should not take questioning as an affront to his ideas. Just a thought.
From the replies, I only see a handful of people who have said they will help fund him.
Not everyone is willing to make monetary declarations, especially over the internet. I wouldn't be inclined to judge based on a thread on a chat site. It's a pretty narrow sampling. I've been gone for a while and I am surprised at how quiet the site is. That there is a 'handful of people' saying they will donate I think is a success, wouldn't you?
As usual, most posters here just want to chit chat.
Well, it is a chat site. :cool: If you are suggesting that coming on a chat site should be first and foremost about giving money, then I suspect you would discover that most people would forego the pleasure of chatting on any site asking for money. I think so.
When it comes to opening their wallets for something worthwhile, they suddenly become deathly quiet.
I know few people - if any at all - who come on a chat site expecting to give money to anything. :confused: When did that ever operate in the chat site world? Never as far as I know, unless one starts to look at recent years when monetizing everything seems to be the norm.

'Deathly quiet'? Interesting characterization. I've been gone for a while. Where is everyone? :confused:
He isn’t even asking for huge sums, just a few dollars through Patreon.
It's not about how much money is being asked for. For myself I will never give money over the internet. I've always felt that way and now, with one's information being collected left and right, all the more reason to be circumspect with one's information. Just today I gave a panhandler $10 - it made his day - meant he could stop 'working' and cycle off to get supper. His joy was palpable. That's where I choose to scatter my money when scatter it I do. We all have our preferences - and doing so does not then mean anyone else's preferences are any more the less.
Perhaps Chris is correct. Ufology is really about the celebrities.
Can't argue there, and Chris should know. What it has to do with is writing a book first. Gain an audience. All the rest follows.
When it comes down to getting some real answers most people here won’t put their money where their mouths are.
You are painting with a very broad brush there and making a wholloping assumption about 'most people here'. Not everyone has the where-withal to be dropping coinage at the first utterance of a request, and some have very definite criteria for when they do. That's their right, wouldn't you say?

Anyway, I am excited for Chris. :) Follow your bliss - as Joseph Campbell said. Money is out there - foundations and grants and what-all. In fact, Chris, that would be a massive help to you - if you can show that you have convinced a reputable foundation to support your work via a grant that would be amazing! Again, though, this is just my pov. To each his own. Carry on! :)

Last edited:
A big part of this is that there have been very few previous efforts to attempt to set up networks of UFO detection systems. Chris is doing something to make it happen.
That is excellent! As I think everyone on this thread has said! :)
Stop the quibbling! I'm sure he welcomes constructive suggestions.
I'm not sure I would call it 'quibbling'. What is at issue is Chris' willingness to field questions without feeling at bay, unsupported, and what all. That's an important part of what he is trying to do. Gathering up money requires an exchange. For some it's just a sense of satisfaction at 'helping someone out'. For others something more is required in a situation like this. It's all valid, not quibbling. JMO.
But he needs everyone's support!
I think he has it (to go by the positive vibe on this thread) but if he is of the mind that 'support' = money, then he may be setting himself up to be bitterly disappointed. It doesn't work that way for most people. Just saying.

Anyway, Chris - scout out money via foundations. The money is there I am sure. You are very unlikely to get the scope of money you need for this project from bits and pieces sent you via PayPal or Patreon. It's a different world now. No one wants to extend their information randomly over the internet anymore. Just the way it is.

Anyway, I am excited for Chris. :) Follow your bliss - as Joseph Campbell said. Money is out there - foundations and grants and what-all. In fact, Chris, that would be a massive help to you - if you can show that you have convinced a reputable foundation to support your work via a grant that would be amazing! Again, though, this is just my pov. To each his own. Carry on! :)
Quoting myself I know! :rolleyes:

I came back on for one more thought: getting foundation grant money could take many 'incarnations'. Sometimes one can 'piggy back' onto another researcher's interest. Like, maybe someone wants to count the number of Canada Geese that fly across the valley, and using your set-up would be ideal - like that. They could 'piggy back' onto your set-up. All sorts of possibilities. Maybe in your instance it might be weather observation researchers. Dunno. Just ideas.

The one 'downer' might be (though I don't see why it would be unless one is limited in some way in maintaining such detail) would be foundation grant money would necessitate meticulous record-keeping, not just for the research, but for the monies spent, and this could include 'outside' donations, especially when one uses the foundation's backing in any donation petition. Such accountability could be a nuisance - there isn't a researcher out there who won't agree with that statement. But having a foundation at your back would be a bees-to-the-honey draw for additional monies, both private and public. One just has to be prepared for the accountability angle, the transparency required. Anyway, just some thoughts. Don't get discouraged by the failure to attract common-folk donors. For the kind of money you may need you may need to think larger, just be willing to bite the bullet when it comes to being accountable for the money you receive. :)

All the best, Chris!

What is at issue is Chris' willingness to field questions without feeling at bay, unsupported, and what all. That's an important part of what he is trying to do. Gathering up money requires an exchange. For some it's just a sense of satisfaction at 'helping someone out'. For others something more is required in a situation like this. It's all valid, not quibbling. JMO.
Carefully read the thread. I was asked direct questions, I gave direct answers. WOL took the opportunity to jump on me for three reasons. 1) He obviously has a bug up his ass about me. This has been going on w/ him about me for over a year. 2) He took my frustration pointing out that that my request for help was ignored as a reason to attack me. 3) He used my attempt at humor as a justification to weaponize his subsequent passive/aggressive responses and bait me—which he revels in.

I have discussed this project at length, in depth and as fully as I am able. Anyone who posts here, listens to the show or knows anything about my work knows what this project is, what it entails and the rationale for putting it the SLV. I don't know how much more I can say about it, but here goes: The SLV Camera/Monitoring Project is an historic effort attempting to gather hard, scientific data on the many anomalous aerial object sightings that are witnessed in the San Luis Valley in SoCen CO. This may be the most active UAP/AAO/UAO/UFO single locale in North America.

The project consists of three triangulated hi-def video cameras—each on a 40 to 50 mile leg. Plus, advanced scientific instrumentation, e.g., recording magnetometers, gravimeters, MADAR, RADAR, EM and VLF/ULF detectors, and a telescope w/ a blazed grating (to separate light into spectra). All these component parts will be working together via internet to capture real-time scientific data from the many UFO sightings and other anomalous aerial events reported in and around the San Luis Valley, Colorado. We have designed customized software that will filter out false positives and alert all camera and monitoring equipment when a real event occurs which then triggers the record functions in the equipment. Then, the quadrant/location data will be sent via the Internet to the cameras that will then swing around and visually triangulate on the event and record it. Our cameras have 36X optical zoom which will enable us to resolve a two-foot daylight, reflective object at 20 miles and the entire effort will be streamed live via the Internet on a dedicated channel. Eventually, we will have a small box w/ a map of the SLV in the lower quarter of the screen that will have a blinking red dot to indicate where in the valley the event is occurring which will enable local SLV skywatchers to go out and film the event from their location.

Hessdelan is our model but they only use one camera, we will be using three and no one (to our knowledge) has ever attempted a triangulated project of this scope, nor have they made a monitoring project interactive as is our plan.

Does everyone get it? Does everyone understand what we are attempting? Now, I will attempt to answer your questions...

Carefully read the thread. I was asked direct questions, I gave direct answers.
I did, but I was addressing one of your responses.
WOL took the opportunity to jump on me for three reasons.
I don't think he did 'jump on you'. No evidence of it on this thread. I was addressing this thread.
I have discussed this project at length, in depth and as fully as I am able.
That's important to know: you are indicating a limitation.
Anyone who posts here, listens to the show or knows anything about my work knows what this project is, what it entails and the rationale for putting it the SLV. I don't know how much more I can say about it
So this post is for a select audience and you do not expect to be doing anymore 'splaining as the phrase goes. You also don't think you can say anymore than you have. Okay.
I will attempt to answer your questions...
I think you may have chased off all questioners. :confused: Just a hunch. Anyway, at the level of money I think you want/need I think you should approach foundations for grant money. (Talk about having to answer questions and 'splaining yourself/your project! It's grueling!) But thing is: once you get the backing of a foundation that back level of questioning gets assumed and so you may find it easier going.

Trying to be helpful. :) (But last I will mention regarding this: Good Luck!)

Anyway, at the level of money I think you want/need I think you should approach foundations for grant money.
We will be utilizing all potential options to fully fund the project. My modest Patreon effort is simply for me to personally be able to justify spending the several weeks it will take to get the systems up and running and NOT an effort to pay for gear and cover the cost of maintaining and operating the system. I thought I made this clear in my initial post. As for foundation money, hah-hah, that's a good one! If you know of any funding bodies/foundations, etc that would be even willing to hear about the project, by all means, let us know and we will approach them w/ our professionally written proposal and spread sheet, etc.

Interesting how (like WOL) you've completely ignored my detailed post (just above your post) that is about the actual project, the gear, and the unique possibly historic approach we will be employing. I guess my attempt to explain the project better isn't as important to you as harping on me, my process and the minutia of my communications in prior posts which is obviously more important and interesting too you. Do you feel all big and proud now that you've refuted everything I've said and how I've said it? Sad.

Ooops! I think - to lift a quote - I'm outta this thread! :confused:

But you do have my best wishes on your endeavor, Chris.

Back