• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Words: positive/negative connotations?

Free episodes:

Mothership

Paranormal Novice
A while ago I wrote a post about the variety of different labels we use to describe something similar or identical: starseeds, starkids, hybrids, indigoes, etc. My point was that because of this, the community is not as united as it might be if we had a universally-accepted common term. Additionally, some people may be missing out on support and the opportunity to network, because they're searching for different terms.

There's an interesting and related question. Are any of these terms inherently more positive or negative than others, even if it's just a matter of perception? Words like starseeds and indigoes seem to me to be lovely words that have a nice sound to them. I'm not so sure about hybrids. Perhaps it's because it carries with it the implication of genetics, breeding and laboratories, even if only at a subconscious level. Maybe it's because it sounds similar to "half breed" - though maybe "high bred" would be another potential implication? But for whatever reason, maybe some people are reluctant to use the term.

Is this an issue with anyone here? I'm a great believer in personal freedom and I think people should use whatever label they feel is most accurate (I know the situation is complicated by there being slightly different definitions of some of these terms, depending on who you ask) and whichever label they feel most comfortable with. But I can't help but think that hybrid still has a slightly negative feel to it, even though I think it should be a badge of honour. Maybe we should stress the positive aspects more, and even try to reclaim the word, as the gay rights movement did with the word "queer", which they turned from an insult to a proudly self-applied term? Does any of this matter, or am I making too much of mere words? What do people think?

But I can't help but think that hybrid still has a slightly negative feel to it, even though I think it should be a badge of honour. Maybe we should stress the positive aspects more, and even try to reclaim the word, as the gay rights movement did with the word "queer", which they turned from an insult to a proudly self-applied term? Does any of this matter, or am I making too much of mere words? What do people think?

<!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->Are you serious? ;)<!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->

I still think the best term to describe these individuals is fantasy prone. Someone who thinks they are an alien, part alien, genetically manipulated by aliens, or a superior breed of human being doesn't need a politically correct label to rally around. In my opinion they need some level headed and professional guidance. The whole search for hybrids thing is really disturbing and seems potentially very damaging to individuals who may get caught up in it.

It is a fair point: if we use different terms to describe the same object, we will not stand united under one common designation. But surely there are other terms, better suited to this heavy task. The ones provided are already in common use and thus the temptation is strong to use one of those, but perhaps we could be even more united if we vote on existing or new terms. I nominate the following as the official words of Ufoology to describe those of diverse planetary origins:

1) If I were a new member of the UFO community and saw the term "starseeds," I may infer that we are discussing seeds that sprout in outer space, needing neither soil nor water to grow, only sunlight. The term "starjizz" seems to make more sense in this regard, since very few will mistakenly believe that it refers to semen produced by actual stars.

Drop the terms "starkids" and "hybrids" entirely and opt for the handsomer "exomulattoes," since it is a more scientific designation. Also, the term will garner more respect from those of diverse ethnic backgrounds, since they will appreciate a politically correct choice of jargon.

All in all it is a very grand design that you have undertaken. Well done. I recommend that you not sleep for the next 95 hours, opting instead to whittle down UFOology words to the best ones. Then, take what you wrote above, along with your fine list, and show it to a mental health professional.

I still think the best term to describe these individuals is fantasy prone. Someone who thinks they are an alien, part alien, genetically manipulated by aliens, or a superior breed of human being doesn't need a politically correct label to rally around. In my opinion they need some level headed and professional guidance. The whole search for hybrids thing is really disturbing and seems potentially very damaging to individuals who may get caught up in it.

The above is probably the best post so far. Although, to be fair, the label of "fantasy prone" may not be the best idea. Sometimes people believe the wrong things for the right reasons, and weird things do happen, so maybe there is even some truth in their claims. So my response is that if these people are making claims to being genetic hybrids, then we need some independent geneticists to confirm the claims by doing sampling. Parental determinations are done all the time. So far, I haven't heard of any scientific confirmation that confirms these people are what they claim to be. So unless we start to see something truly revolutionary, like proven extraordinary telepathic power or some hard science, there is no reason to accept their claims at face value. They are no more "Star Children" than the rest of us ... who all ultimately also came from "star stuff" as Sagan would say.

Lastly, investigating the reasons that these people believe what they believe is just as important as verifiying the truth of their claim to be hybrids. It is conceivable that these people aren't the product of genetic hybridization, but of some psychological experiment. In other words it is possible that there has been some strange experience that has led them to believe what they do, but that what they believe because of the experience, and what is actually case, are two separate things.

j.r.

Back