• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What's the best UFO movie in your opinion?

CHUPACABRAS

Paranormal Novice
Hello friends, this is my first thread here at the Paracast forums. I've just recently subscribed to the Paracast blogcast on iTunes and I found it pretty amazing. Great hosts, clear talking, interesting subjects, long duration.. excellent. And I heard about the forums on the radio show, so I decided to join the community, hoping it's as good as the actual blogcast.

Anyway, I'm thinking about buying some UFOs movies to add to my DVD collection. I'm talking mostly mainstream, find anywhere movies, that I could buy from Amazon for instance.

Please recommend me some movies, some comments and insights are very welcome, maybe a small review? I'd appreciate that very much, and we could discuss about how hollywood treats UFOs in the meantime.

I'll start saying that I enjoyed Signs a lot. I like how it's not OUT THERE, I really appreciate the darker tones in UFOs movies. The ending may be a little silly for my taste, but almost everything that leads you there is pretty good. The sinister aspect of the beings also intrigues me, lurking on the shadows etc.

There's one other movie I used to watch a lot when I was a kid. If I'm not mistaken the title was Intruders, I guess.. maybe not? I'm really not sure, I guess it was. And I don't remember the movie very well, but it was dark, scaring, it envolved mostly abductions, which particularly interests me a lot. I can't remember the plot but there was a scene by the lake that used to deeply scare me... *SPOILER* I guess there were 2 girls following a little boy through the woods, and he leads them to a lake nearby, where a ship floats 1 or 2 meters above the water.. and then he turns his face and we can see he's actually an alien... *SPOILER ENDS*.

Anyway, if anyone could join the discussion I'd really appreciate.

Thanks and sorry for any spelling errors I might have comitted, English is not my primary language.

I suppose its got to be close encounters of the third kind. I liked it because it was also about the emotions and transformation the main character (Richard Dreyfus went through). And the suspicious nature of his wife towards him. She seemed more interested in what people would think of him and them, rather than seeing if he was ok.

Welcome to the forum! Your english is excellent. I cant speak a word of Portuguese Brazilian lol.

Close Encounters...bar none. It references real Ufology, the people involved, and could work as a model for our first major "contact" event, if it hasn't already happened.

Intruders was somewhat based on a Budd Hopkins book. One of the most convincing series of abduction cases in my opinion. I saw the tv movie many years ago. It was ok. The book of the actual events was way better.
Intruders (TV Movie 1992) - IMDb

Most ufo movies are disappointments to me. Fire in the Sky, Independence Day etc. The Betty and Barney Hill movie was ok except for the lady who played Betty was way too whiny/annoying for me.

ET and Close Encounters are big hits, but did nothing for me last I tried to watch them. I loved them when I was a child though.

Stay away from Abduction at Lake County. That was a marketing hoax. I'm still ticked off about that one.

I didn't like Communion at all at first, but on my second viewing I enjoyed it a lot more.

I'm a big Star Wars fan:) Those movies have everything paranormal in it. Even wookies/bigfoot!

You might like Spielberg's tv mini series called "Taken".

I'm not big on the X-Files but a lot of people like that stuff. There's a X-Files movie that is known to put many to sleep.

Nothing beats a good ufo documentary. I prefer those instead of movies, fiction etc.

Hmm. Now I'm wanting to watch Intruders again. It's been a very long time since I seen it. Someone send me a PM if they see it on tv anytime soon:)

Forgot to mention the film communion with Christopher walken. Dont laugh when i tell you that i could not sleep for about a week after. This film deeply troubled me.

Ive always admired walken as an actor, and found his portrayal of Whitley strieber as fantastic. Of all the alien/UFO films ive watched this has had the most powerful effect.

I felt it brought to the surface lots of memory's both real and imagined.

Small clip from the film on youtube

idontunderstand said:
I suppose its got to be close encounters of the third kind. I liked it because it was also about the emotions and transformation the main character (Richard Dreyfus went through). And the suspicious nature of his wife towards him. She seemed more interested in what people would think of him and them, rather than seeing if he was ok.

Welcome to the forum! Your english is excellent. I cant speak a word of Portuguese Brazilian lol.

Yeah, I'm American and my English sucks.

Anyone ever notice J. Allen Hynek's cameo in Close Encounters? It's brief at the end.

Hi, I agree with most of the above, I thought 'taken' was a good mini series, you can get the box set from Amazon and the like,Close Encounters is an obvious classic,was said that Spielberg had stumbled upon the Serpo story and that was the basis for it, but knowing what we now know about what's coming to light about Serpo it seem's unlikely.

idontunderstand said:
Forgot to mention the film communion with Christopher walken. Dont laugh when i tell you that i could not sleep for about a week after. This film deeply troubled me.

Me too - as I said a while back, I saw it once and read the book and I can't bring myself to go through it all again. There's something truly disturbing about the whole thing - several times, in the years since I saw it, I have had periods in my life where I couldn't sleep due to an explicable feeling of 'dread' and those particular events and images do play on my mind.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I've watched Close Encounters too, idontunderstand, but I was a little kid back then. I realli liked it and there are some disturbing scenes (toys turning on in the middle of the night comes to mind). It's been a long time since I saw it. And I agree with you, Tony, maybe it has already happened.

Fire in the Sky was okay, I guess, but it's another one I can't remember the plot very well.

I liked Contact (?) with Jodie Foster, that story had something pretty real about it in my opinion, something that could really happen. I liked that a lot.

Invasion was okay when I saw it some good 5 years ago but I can't remember the plot right now (which is probably a bad sign thinking again).

And I've tried watching the whole Taken series but the episodic nature of it doesn't work for me, I always end up missing an episode here or there that makes the whole thing loose meaning. Maybe I should buy it like LeClair suggested.

Communion on the other hand sounds pretty good. I haven't heard about it here in Brazil... problem is I have to find the Portuguese title, which almost never is a straight translation. But those weird, disturbing feelings, that's what I remember the most about Intruders... maybe Communion is what I'm looking for.

I'm goona try a little research to find the Portuguese title, thank you.

CE3K, bar none. If the question were, "What's the worst UFO movie in your opinion?" the list could be a couple of pages long, with "Plan 9" at the top.

All you of Earth are idiots!

That's not fair, Korman. Plan 9 is crap because it's cheaply made, badly directed, horribly cast and under-produced. But that just means it's a bad movie, in fact, in the simplest terms it can't NOT be bad.

On the other hand, if you spend millions, cast mega-stars and hire the best technical people in hollywood and STILL make a bad movie... then it's the worst.

Life isn't fair, dude.

Plan 9 is bad from every possible PoV. That's why it's a cult classic. It's so bad that it's a priceless gem. Ed Wood was thoroughly convinced that he was destined to be a Hollywood legend. He made his turkeys with great enthusiasm, disarming sincerity and $1.98 budgets.

I have most of his gems. Look up "Orgy of The Dead" for a rare treat.

If you want a truly BAD ufo-related movie, try Sphere. Absolutely terrible, horrific stinkfest. The book was bad, the movie is beyond horrible.

Bad movies can sometimes have redeeming value. A good example would be Liquid Sky a true cult classic. Speaking of which, one of my fave cult films, Repo Man, is not about UFOs, but does indeed have paranormal aspects and aliens. A wonderful film with some truly classic lines.

Best serious UFO movie is Close Encounters, Communion is truly creepy, and for me, nothing will ever really come close to The Day the Earth Stood Still. They just dont make 'em like that anymore, and you know, it's weird how no one has ever tried to remake it. Perhaps that's a good thing.

David Biedny said:
If you want a truly BAD ufo-related movie, try Sphere. Absolutely terrible, horrific stinkfest.

See, that's what I'm talking about. Take those actors, that budget and those effects people and give them a GOOD script and you'd get a good movie. The fact that it's bad to me makes it even worse because of the wasted resources.

I really enjoyed "Earth versus the flying saucers". It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember thinking that it was one of the few alien invasion movies I'd seen where the alien's motives actually made sense.

CapnG said:
See, that's what I'm talking about. Take those actors, that budget and those effects people and give them a GOOD script and you'd get a good movie. The fact that it's bad to me makes it even worse because of the wasted resources.

I really enjoyed "Earth versus the flying saucers". It's been a long time since I've seen it but I remember thinking that it was one of the few alien invasion movies I'd seen where the alien's motives actually made sense.

Thanks to the wonderful Ray Harryhausen, the special effects were quite good as well. I thought, however, that it ended rather abruptly, as if they ran out of money and had to chop off a few minutes of the final segments.

Or maybe I saw a highly-edited version, as my recollection seemed to deliver an image of a longer film.

And people who have been following the UFO enigma for a while might appreciate the fact that the book was "suggested" by Flying Saucers From Outer Space by Major Donald Keyhoe. In a subsequent book, Keyhoe claimed he didn't realize they would change the concept to one involving the standard evil aliens attacking Earth routine that was common in the 1950s.

I've got a collection of almost 5000 horror and sci-fi films, but nothing after 1968. Of them all, I vote for "Devil Girl From Mars." Atrocious, rollicking fun.

Must get popcorn, though.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind is definitely my favorite. I have always thought that there was going to be a sequel, but there never was. A Serpo (Biedny sigh! :)) like story seemed like a good sequel though. I also like the original War of the Worlds, but Spielberg ruined the new version. That could have been an epic movie, but he really screwed it up.

Just occurred to me that the Alien Autopsy movie/"comedy" hasn't been mentioned. There was a movie that recently bombed that spoofed the Alien Autopsy hoax. I forget the name of it. I'm thrilled it bomb and was sickened when I heard Santilli was going to make money off this big pile of dung.

Back