• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What to make of Major Ed Dames...

CitizenK

Skilled Investigator
For thse who may not know Major Dames is a remote viewer who claims of things like kill shots from teh sun , etc. A.k.a. Dr. Doom! Well I just don't know what to think of his "visons" and claims and here's why. Last year on Coast to Coast with George Noory he made the statement that he was so afraid for the dangers coming our way that he had cancelled all of his workshops and put his family into a safe location...then flash forward to 2 nights ago and he was on the same program again spewing his claims of kill shots and impending doom to our planet in one breath and in the next speaking of movie and tv deals he has "in the works"...now tell me, why would someone who thinks (and I quote) "Armageddon" is about to befall the planet be in talks with production ppl. of tv or movie possibilities??? I find him to be a flake quite frankly. I used to think he may be on to something as I also do a sort of remote viewing and believe it to be a very real ability...but what the hell is going on here with this guy? I mean really... am I being too harsh or should I continue to go with my logic on this one? (I tend to go with my gut instead)
What are your thoughts on him?
Peace

Actually i actually went to Vegas once and took Ed's Remote Viewing Course and saw Penn and Teller as well.
Enjoyed them both, one was real the other was entertainment, you can guess which was which.

I have a personal saying

"Always bet against Dames"

I've never been wrong :)

Yeah how many times has this guy predicted the end of the world and how many times has he been wrong about it? All these supposed psychics that are constantly wrong make me laugh. There should be a 3 strikes and you're out rule for major predictions by so called psychics. 3 strikes and you have to admit that you're just a lunatic and not really a psychic. Ed Dames would've been out 10 years ago.

To me, the Fossett experience still defines how people relate to Mr. Dames. After Steve Fossett disappeared, Ed went on national radio and pinpointed an area in California, using remote viewing to claim GPS accuracy. Because of certain problems, he expanded the area into a mile-wide search zone and talked about sending his team there to look. He also stated that he would retire if he were wrong. Eventually, Fossett was found about 70 miles from the area that Dames designated. If he had sent his teams there, they would still be looking today. He was, of course, wrong. And given the limitations of Fossett's plain, he could not have been more wrong. But rather then retire, since he got the state right, he and his followers claim this as a successful "hit.'

Dames can still perform a useful function. When Ed recently stated that 2013 was going to be the year of the killshot, I was relieved knowing that if Dames predicted it, the apocalypse was once again going to be on hold.

Why didnt he make any predictions of the horrid horrid events that happened today, shame on him...fraud!!

I will hazard a guess that Dames is not taken all that seriously in the remote viewing community. My reaction to his voice on my radio/computer is to immediately click off.

Having spent a little time looking into the topic and perusing some RV forums, I do know that he isn't taken very seriously, is well-known, and generally referred to as "Dr. Doom".

Does he have some remote viewing abilities? Quite possibly. He claims to have earned some military honors for his work.

If so, is he interpreting his data wrong? His "misses" are documented for sure. I do recall hearing him on an interview before where he explained the difficulties involved with associating dates with future RV information.

There's plenty of excuses why insights into the future can be off when you factor in the viewpoint that time is an illusion, multiverse theories, and the fact that our actions change the future. So yeah, I can see how an accurate prediction today could be a completely wrong prediction for tomorrow.

Is he a con-man? Entirely possible too - he wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

My personal opinion is that he might have some skills, but if so he's got other problems that basically negate a lot of the words coming out of his mouth. Dr Doom has a case of paranormal boy who cried wolf.

As someone who (almost) obsessively listened to old Coast to Coast AM recordings (usually the Art Bell shows) in his spare time, I can say that Ed Dames' genius is in creating scenarios where his initial statements are so sweeping and vague that he can later on claim victory, such as the Fossett case Mulvaney posted above. Dr. Doom is rarely right, and when he is it's due to vague generalizations that anyone could put forth. Dude claimed that he saw 9/11 coming and instead of going public decided to pass on the info to his "military contacts", and that's where the snafu occurred.

I'd love to see/hear an interview where someone sits down and asks Dames specifics about all of his predictions, as well as why we are continually living in the year of the killshot. George Noory just enables him so much when he's on. I get the feeling that they grow more co-dependent as the years pass, gripping the bits of sanity left in the back of their minds.

What people tend to forget or don't know was Ed Dames was not a remote viewer when he participated in the military Star Gate program. He was a monitor and analyst to the true remote viewers. If he was so great back then, wouldn't they have used his 'expertise?' The fact is he is an outright fraud. You only have to go back and listen to some of those Coast to Coast programs to know how off base he truly was. Sean David Morton was once selling Dame's remote viewing training kits. What else do you need to know?

I have been so busy trying to enjoy life until the killshot comes that I have not had time to listen to Ed or take a remote viewing course. And in light of the impending doom, investing in one of Mr. Morton's schemes make little sense. So both these guys have been off of my radar lately. If Dames says something entertaining, I trust it will be reported here,

From my personal experience .. Ed Dames is a liar. I confronted Dames back in the 1990's at a MUFON LA meeting where he was speaking. The incident happened during the Q&A and was involved with a prediction Dames had made concerning a "dying alien race" that would be landing in (going from memory now) New Mexico. He claimed the aliens were being preserved in some kind of alien "goo" etc. ... a real science fiction BS story. If I recall, this was to happen in August of that year. At anyrate when I confronted him he totally denied EVER having said anything like that. I then covered it in UFO Magazine and included at least one sidebar from a woman researcher who heard Dames when he originally made the claim. This taught me a simple lesson ...

If Ed Dames told me the Sun rose in the morning and the Moon made an appearance at night .. I was going outside to look.

Decker

From my personal experience .. Ed Dames is a liar. I confronted Dames back in the 1990's at a MUFON LA meeting where he was speaking. The incident happened during the Q&A and was involved with a prediction Dames had made concerning a "dying alien race" that would be landing in (going from memory now) New Mexico. He claimed the aliens were being preserved in some kind of alien "goo" etc. ... a real science fiction BS story. If I recall, this was to happen in August of that year. At anyrate when I confronted him he totally denied EVER having said anything like that. I then covered it in UFO Magazine and included at least one sidebar from a woman researcher who heard Dames when he originally made the claim. This taught me a simple lesson ...

If Ed Dames told me the Sun rose in the morning and the Moon made an appearance at night .. I was going outside to look.

Decker

Thanks for your insight there Don. Given all your experience with so many people aover the years and the recurring theme of fabrications and misinformation, it makes one wonder if there isn't something more than simple self promotion involved. Is it possible that more people are getting funneled disinformation Bennewitz style than we know, or that they're just blindly believing in some channeled psychic information rather than knowingly fabricating a story? How many of these people do you think are willfully and knowingly creating BS just to sell the story? I mean if we had to put a BSOmeter on UFO personalities, where:
  • Blue = honest & responsible | 20% | or ?
  • Green = honest but misled | 55% | or ?
  • Orange = fantasy prone fabricators | 15% | or ?
  • Red = outright frauds | 10% | or ?
Above I just threw in some numbers based on my overall impressions and linked them to my avatar link for an ID. I wouldn't call it scientific. What numbers would you give?

BTW: Everyone is welcome to add in there own numbers!

Thanks for your insight there Don. Given all your experience with so many people aover the years and the recurring theme of fabrications and misinformation, it makes one wonder if there isn't something more than simple self promotion involved. Is it possible that more people are getting funneled disinformation Bennewitz style than we know, or that they're just blindly believing in some channeled psychic information rather than knowingly fabricating a story? How many of these people do you think are willfully and knowingly creating BS just to sell the story? I mean if we had to put a BSOmeter on UFO personalities, where:
  • Blue = honest & responsible | 20% | or ?
  • Green = honest but misled | 55% | or ?
  • Orange = fantasy prone fabricators | 15% | or ?
  • Red = outright frauds | 10% | or ?
Above I just threw in some numbers based on my overall impressions and linked them to my avatar link for an ID. I wouldn't call it scientific. What numbers would you give?

I have seen very little genuine research these days, with of course, some exceptions. I occasionally surf by other sites like ATS, for example, just to see what is being discussed. The Paracast as I always say, is an Oasis in a vast desert of what I consider to be total crap. Oh, there are some others to be sure. I consider Kevin Randle to be honest and skeptical .. where it counts. Others I have pretty much lost touch with. I have not spoken to Friedman in years, nor Macabee, Schmidt, etc. Leslie Keane is good (IMHO) several others but overall ... it is a total mess. (once again IMHO)

There are those that actively promote BS to either fulfill personal gratification, attempt to make money or in the case of someone like Alfred Webre just out to lunch. When I left UFO Magazine because I despised it becoming just another rag. I really did pull in and away from UFOs overall. Having been a real investigator when I was a police officer I often found myself cringing when I saw what some were doing out there in the "field." Leading witnesses, messing up a scene, making assessments because it "confirmed" someones own beliefs. Overall I would guess that the orange and the red are winning.

Decker

I have seen very little genuine research these days, with of course, some exceptions. I occasionally surf by other sites like ATS, for example, just to see what is being discussed. The Paracast as I always say, is an Oasis in a vast desert of what I consider to be total crap. Oh, there are some others to be sure. I consider Kevin Randle to be honest and skeptical .. where it counts. Others I have pretty much lost touch with. I have not spoken to Friedman in years, nor Macabee, Schmidt, etc. Leslie Keane is good (IMHO) several others but overall ... it is a total mess. (once again IMHO)

There are those that actively promote BS to either fulfill personal gratification, attempt to make money or in the case of someone like Alfred Webre just out to lunch. When I left UFO Magazine because I despised it becoming just another rag. I really did pull in and away from UFOs overall. Having been a real investigator when I was a police officer I often found myself cringing when I saw what some were doing out there in the "field." Leading witnesses, messing up a scene making assessments because it "confirmed" someones own beliefs. Overall I would guess that the orange and the red are winning.

Decker

Thanks for that Don. I guess I'm just a bit more optimistic in that I tend to think most people are honest but misled in some way shape or form. I also agree with your take on the people you mention. Despite my disappointment wit Kean adopting Pope's anti-ufology strategy, her latest book comes across as an honest and reasonably well researched. I've also found Randle to be consistently good. Here's a question. How about Timothy Good? I consider Beyond Top Secret to be excellent, but he's also explored some rather contentious issues like the Lazar case and alien bases. I don't get the impression that he's trying to mislead us, but because he seems to vacillate between reporting what other people have said and stating it as though it were already an established fact it he seems to be nudging out of Blue toward Green. Opinion?

I think Good meant well but I think his research was sloppy. Many many Moons ago in my very early days I bought his book Above Top Secret. Later, one of his big "insiders" known in the book as Mel Noel I did a major expose on. Guy Kirkwood, aka Mel Noel, aka Noel Bryce Cornwall was/is a total phony. Good had him listed as an Air Force F-86 Sabre Jet Pilot. He never even served in the USAF. Now I am not upset by the fact Good was taken by this guy. Everybody can get taken at one time or another ... I sure have been. But if Good was going to use this guy in his major work one would think Good would have demanded seeing this guys military discharge papers. He didn't. Took this guy at his word. When I did my expose on Kirkwood I called him to UFO Magazine and let him read what I was going to print in the magazine. I then told him I would pull it before we went to print providing Kirkwood brought me in his DD-214 papers. (Military Discharge showing his military status.) This was about Feb. of 1992. Kirkwood promised me he would and I am still waiting. Good was taken in by sloppy research. FWIW I also think Good is too much of a believer.

Decker

I'm afraid Tim Good is wackadinghoy, to use a medical term. Check out his Paracast appearance(s). Aside from the stuff about seeing aliens in hotel lobbies, there is his fondness for hoaxers (as Don says) and contactees, from Adamski on up.

As far as I'm concerned (and I've followed this field since the early sixties), the considerable orange and red that was there then has grown to cover almost all of the canvas.

Back