• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What is your Job?

Are you asking the members? I am a magician, although I don't perform much anymore. I do the behind the scenes stuff... writing, producing DVDs and such. I also am a freelance writer, video producer and illustrator; it's just that most of my stuff ends up coming through the magic connections lately. I also teach self defense seminars for groups like the Girl Scouts, but that's just a nice bit of pocket money to spend on things I don't really need like beer and Nintendo games. I spent several years as a professional sound technician for the group that produces Crate and Ampeg equipment before the company was sold and moved to China. That was fun; I did all the antique equipment repairs and all of the stuff for the artist relations department.

I love working for myself and doing stuff that interests me for a living, but the inability to leave the office at the office (cause I work out of the house) and the nagging fear that I won't have any work day after tomorrow (especially since my wife is about to start student teaching) is kind of harsh. I hope you find something you can enjoy!

Lavarat said:
I am looking for a new job yaaay

what is everyones occupation?

Graphic designer for the website Ask Jeeves (but now Ask.com)... I primarily draw animated cursors for one of their subsidiary companies, and I've actually seen several banners for my cursors on the Paracast site. I was very happy the day I discovered I'd made it to a paranormal site!

I also do contract work for an education software company, that stuff is also graphic design related.

So basically lots of drawing on the computer.

BrandonD said:
Lavarat said:

Graphic designer for the website Ask Jeeves (but now Ask.com)... I primarily draw animated cursors for one of their subsidiary companies, and I've actually seen several banners for my cursors on the Paracast site. I was very happy the day I discovered I'd made it to a paranormal site!

I also do contract work for an education software company, that stuff is also graphic design related.

So basically lots of drawing on the computer.

Feel free to design for us, but it's gotta be on a volunteer basis :D

Lavarat said:

Currently, farming and freelance engineering. Self-employed.

I recommend you get to know a farmer if you want to eat in the foreseeable future. Petroleum is sooooo 'nineties'. Farming also gives you a lot of time to think while you pull weeds.

Good luck. (Everything is either luck or marketing, but marketing is what taught us to consume our future.)

Michael L. said:
Auntiegrav wrote:
I recommend you get to know a farmer if you want to eat in the foreseeable future.

Ha! I have one word in response to that:
Mancorn.
You need a recipe for that? I think you look under "Pork" in the Betty Crocker cook book. Probably best if you just grind it up into summer sausage with some venison to lean it out. (So I gather from reading Mark Twain.)

I work at a Thai restaraunt as a Waiter/Kitchen Hand, & at a Cafe'/Restaraunt as a Waiter & a Barista.

I'm in PC/IT repair currently, plus I do some freelance writing to fill the gaps in the budget.

I was a part-time English Teacher at a Community College for four years before I moved and got into the PC world. If you ever want to feel underpaid and invisible, try part-time teaching.

I still haven't lost sight of my dream to be a famous novelist and prophet.

:rolleyes:

Screenwriter, freelance writer, promoter for rock shows and UFO lectures.

Funny, though, Tony2013, my last job was in Silicon Valley, writing copy for an IT company.

Interesting...

gilbavel said:

Funny, though, Tony2013, my last job was in Silicon Valley, writing copy for an IT company.

Interesting...

That is interesting. What kind of screenwriting do you do?

I'm retired from a boring job I won't even discuss. But I live a great life. That sometimes take work.

Tony2013 said:
gilbavel said:

Interesting...

I'm currently working on a proposal to option the body of work of a bestselling science fiction writer for both television and the big screen. Because I'm under nondisclosure, I can't really talk about it. Needless to say, soon, I'll either be able to tell you all the details or you'll see it on TV.

Before that, I was working on a local TV show called "The Basement Sublet of Horror", a parody of horror host shows that I both wrote and appeared in front of the camera as different characters in. I also wrote, directed and did the voiceover for a commercial in 2005.

Previous to that I have appeared in 3 music videos, 2 films and numerous plays. I've been a regular old writer since I was 12, and my fiction appears in every library in the country in various anthologies--but it's really nothing special.

gilbavel said:
Tony2013 said:
gilbavel said:

Interesting...

I'm currently working on a proposal to option the body of work of a bestselling science fiction writer for both television and the big screen. Because I'm under nondisclosure, I can't really talk about it. Needless to say, soon, I'll either be able to tell you all the details or you'll see it on TV.

Before that, I was working on a local TV show called "The Basement Sublet of Horror", a parody of horror host shows that I both wrote and appeared in front of the camera as different characters in. I also wrote, directed and did the voiceover for a commercial in 2005.

Previous to that I have appeared in 3 music videos, 2 films and numerous plays. I've been a regular old writer since I was 12, and my fiction appears in every library in the country in various anthologies--but it's really nothing special.

Hey it's more than I've managed to accomplish so far. I've got zero publications (save for a couple minor ones) to account for... just a huge store-house of ideas. If I ever find the motivation to sit down and work on some of them I'm sure I could be successful. I've had so many people say to me, "Have you ever thought about screenwriting?" I just wouldn't know how to break into the business.

I'm a pixel pusher.

Shouldn't this thread be in chit-chat? I think this area is for posting questions for future show guests.

tommyball said:
I'm a pixel pusher.

Shouldn't this thread be in chit-chat? I think this area is for posting questions for future show guests.

YES, and it looks like it finally is.

i am currently a desk jockey. before this i was an archaeological collections assistant at a local museum...man i miss counting rocks!

Back