• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What is your Job?

Artist, and national man of mystery. I refuse to go international as I refuse to fly.

Those national anthologies are obscure to be sure, but they encouraged many a current writer, I'm sure. Kudos, gilbavel.

Gene Steinberg said:
Raevenskye said:
i am currently a desk jockey. before this i was an archaeological collections assistant at a local museum...man i miss counting rocks!

So now you count rocks and rolls :D

hehehe...indeed! i'm having back surgery in a couple of weeks, tho, and during recovery i have to do A LOT of walking...maybe i'll lose a couple of rolls in the process! :p

Raevenskye said:
Gene Steinberg said:
Raevenskye said:
i am currently a desk jockey. before this i was an archaeological collections assistant at a local museum...man i miss counting rocks!

hehehe...indeed! i'm having back surgery in a couple of weeks, tho, and during recovery i have to do A LOT of walking...maybe i'll lose a couple of rolls in the process! :p

Did you mean disc jockey? Know Krista from 106.5? I hung out with her a lot back when she was on the 99.7's Alan Handelman show, which dealt a lot with the paranormal. I was a huge fan of the show, and didn't even know that was her on it til she left. Sad, since I would be hangin with her the night before the show, and coulda discussed some things with her had I known it was the same person.

Paranormal Packrat said:
Raevenskye said:
Gene Steinberg said:
Raevenskye said:

Did you mean disc jockey? Know Krista from 106.5? I hung out with her a lot back when she was on the 99.7's Alan Handelman show, which dealt a lot with the paranormal. I was a huge fan of the show, and didn't even know that was her on it til she left. Sad, since I would be hangin with her the night before the show, and coulda discussed some things with her had I known it was the same person.

nope..i meant desk, but i do remember listening to Krista...she was cool!

This is a shame, I was going to create a thread exactly the same as this one last week but wasn't sure if asking people about their occupation would come across as too personal or not, so well done to the author; congratulations also, you beat Goody to it :D.

I just got an excellant offer at my work yesterday, which was to basically replace the main waitress that left, so now I'm lined up for alot of work indefinately that is going to earn me quite alot of money....

I just wish it was easy to walk up to a table and ask "Hey, have you guys ever seen a UFO?" ;).

Goody.

Oh, and before that I was the sysop of a BBS... where I actually had control over where threads go...

Goody:

You could always wear a UFO pin.

When I worked at Radio Shack, I would sometimes just get an impulse to ask people if they'd seen a UFO, and more often than not, they had, and more often than not, it wasn't a simple sighting.

Yes that is a good idea thanks Gil, although doing that at my workplace (wearing the pin I mean) would sure stir some folks.

I went onto local radio that broadcasts throughout this area and upto a bigger town just north of my area, & spoke for 2 hours (it was more like me being interviewed) on UFO's and the Paranormal/Abductions & Sleep Paralysis etc...I plan on going back & really making it something; because if I want, I have a regular 2 hour Monday night slot waiting for me. All because the girl that hosts that radio program is very big on what i'm about & my interests, so we'll see how it all goes :D;).

..I'm in sales. Ironic, since I have Asperger's Syndrome, but I spent all my savant back in the formative years learning to build this facade of normalcy, and it got a bit out of control.

..I work for Schwan's. It's the best job I've ever had. Over the course of a ten day cycle I service around 850 customers, drive an average of 110 miles a day and take home a measely 400 dollars each week. That's for about eighty hours a week of working.

..I love my customers (for the most part), and I love the freedom of being out and about all day (I get to listen to podcasts while I drive). But after 11 years as a professional driver of one sort or another, I've realized just how much I hate driving. And now that my oldest kid is six and my youngest is 16 months, I'm really starting to miss being home in the evenings.

..I've got a line on another driving job that should pay the same or a bit more for only 40 to 60 hours a week, but it's always difficult to jump ship.

..I guess my point is, unless your crazy (or mad as the case may be), stay out of route work and sales in general..

-Mike

MADMANMIKE said:
..I'm in sales. Ironic, since I have Asperger's Syndrome, but I spent all my savant back in the formative years learning to build this facade of normalcy, and it got a bit out of control.

..I work for Schwan's. It's the best job I've ever had. Over the course of a ten day cycle I service around 850 customers, drive an average of 110 miles a day and take home a measely 400 dollars each week. That's for about eighty hours a week of working.

..I love my customers (for the most part), and I love the freedom of being out and about all day (I get to listen to podcasts while I drive). But after 11 years as a professional driver of one sort or another, I've realized just how much I hate driving. And now that my oldest kid is six and my youngest is 16 months, I'm really starting to miss being home in the evenings.

..I've got a line on another driving job that should pay the same or a bit more for only 40 to 60 hours a week, but it's always difficult to jump ship.

..I guess my point is, unless your crazy (or mad as the case may be), stay out of route work and sales in general..

-Mike

That's tough. I don't envy you at all, being in sales. At least you like the people you sell to, but being on the road all those hours would drive me crazy.

When I graduated from college the job market was so poor, the only jobs were in sales. Every Sunday I'd look through the classifieds, and inevitably I'd find 90% of them were for some sort of job selling something. It was always the same headline: "Jump-start your career today!!" or "Earn $5,000 your second week!" or "Get started on the fast-track to success!" One after the other. At one point I even applied for a couple, but fortunately they made me take one of those standardized personality-type tests to see if I had the right mindset. I'd always get to the question: "I'd rather be alone than around a group of people." I knew it was the *wrong* answer, but I always answered "True." I just couldn't bring myself to lie about that. I hate groups, I hate people in general, and I hate calling people I don't know. Another question I always got *wrong* was "I find myself daydreaming a lot." Ha! I thought, I'm day-dreaming right now!

I'm starting to realize just how futile it is to decide on a career your first run-through in college. What's the statistic; the average person changes career at least twice in their life? I believe it. I'm looking to go back to college for pre-med, and I'm almost 30. It's really ridiculous to expect a 21 year-old to know exactly what they want to do for the rest of their life; and the kids who do know what they want usually have known long before they got to college!

Former Architect, Graphic Designer, Illustrator, 3D Artist, Internet Consultant, now Real Estate Investor.

Worked as 3D artist building space ships and aliens at Rocket Science Games, the great "smoking crater" of game companies. It had a great staff of world class artists including some really talented guys from ILM. Our games were crap but looked awesome. We made the cover of Wired magazine which is always the kiss of death for any company.

Also had a long stint at a major LA studio which I won't mention.

Anyway, have a lot of experience with some very cool high tech startup companies.

I've been hoping I'd see a post from the user with the name Kal Korff. Or was it Kolonel, or Captain Kal Korff? Been awhile since I've seen him/her. You know,the person that posted the comic book images and claimed to be KK. If you're out there, entertain us with all you do. :D

You know what? We have an eclectic but VERY talented and experienced group here.

If we wanted to, we could form a consortium and put together a great web-based business doing nearly anything we wanted to.

Now, I'm just sort of playing with hypotheticals here, but we have a graphic designer, writers, coders, PR and sales people (including me; I have 25 years of in-the-field sales and management experience) and God only knows what else. I personally promote rock shows in my area, have, in the past promoted UFO lectures (and will again), and have sold everything from plant food and biostimulatnts to in-home demos of water treatment systems. I even owned my own RainSoft dealership, I got so good at it.

Looks to me like what started out as a friendly, casual conversation topic ended up looking like one of the most talented, diverse, but well-rounded group of individuals you could hope for.

Despite our differences and friendly jabs here and there, I think this group has what it takes to make a go of something really special.

But, we're probably too unmotivated and complacent to actually do anything about it. I just wanted to note that y'all are a bunch of smart, experienced people that could probably collectively do about anything we wanted to if we put our minds together to do it.

END TRANSMISSION

gilbavel said:
You know what? We have an eclectic but VERY talented and experienced group here.

If we wanted to, we could form a consortium and put together a great web-based business doing nearly anything we wanted to.

Now, I'm just sort of playing with hypotheticals here, but we have a graphic designer, writers, coders, PR and sales people (including me; I have 25 years of in-the-field sales and management experience) and God only knows what else. I personally promote rock shows in my area, have, in the past promoted UFO lectures (and will again), and have sold everything from plant food and biostimulatnts to in-home demos of water treatment systems. I even owned my own RainSoft dealership, I got so good at it.

Looks to me like what started out as a friendly, casual conversation topic ended up looking like one of the most talented, diverse, but well-rounded group of individuals you could hope for.

Despite our differences and friendly jabs here and there, I think this group has what it takes to make a go of something really special.

But, we're probably too unmotivated and complacent to actually do anything about it. I just wanted to note that y'all are a bunch of smart, experienced people that could probably collectively do about anything we wanted to if we put our minds together to do it.

END TRANSMISSION

Well hold on now. I may be a tad bit uninspired at the moment, but unmotivated and complacent I ain't.

I'm all for starting something; particularily with a group of like-minded invidividuals. A strange meeting place this is indeed, but that's where the best ideas come from.

If you had any ideas, gilbavel, you are to share them immediately.

Hey, I came up with the concept--y'all gotta help here.

Magazine?
Our own podcast?
A product of some kind?
Consulting firm?

Astroboy said:
Former Architect, Graphic Designer, Illustrator, 3D Artist, Internet Consultant, now Real Estate Investor.

Worked as 3D artist building space ships and aliens at Rocket Science Games, the great "smoking crater" of game companies. It had a great staff of world class artists including some really talented guys from ILM. Our games were crap but looked awesome. We made the cover of Wired magazine which is always the kiss of death for any company.

Also had a long stint at a major LA studio which I won't mention.

Anyway, have a lot of experience with some very cool high tech startup companies.

..I'm a Poser hobbyist, I'd love to hear your criticisms of my work; It can be found HERE. I've been designing space ships using parts from the collected works of Davorama.

-Mike <8]

Back