• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What do you guys think about the flat earth theory?

juntjoo

Skilled Investigator
Have there been any guests/shows covering the topic? I'm still listening chronologically in 2014. I just learned about it in the past couple months and apparently it's gotten really popular. My processor is too slow and ram too small to really have gathered enough info, or my software is just corrupt, but I watch a lot of vids(eric dubay the main guy now) and find it really fascinating. What do you guys think? Anyone researched it at all?

The flat earth theory could only become popular among the most gullible, unintelligent and uneducated of the American public. This is so absurd it is beyond belief. When there is an lunar eclipse (that is an eclipse of the moon, y'know) this entails a circular Earth coming between the sun and the moon. If not for a circular earth, no long distance flight would work as would no sea travel. I mean, this is so basic to human understanding, yet YOU actually want the Paracast to give serious consideration to a flat earth conspiracy? God help us all.

I never felt so small...

JUST KIDDING! Loser. You're stupid. Okay, now I got my gut reaction out...

So you don't think there's anything to it? C'mon. You can't know it all. Anyway, I just said I found it fascinating. Whatever. I'll keep watching my flat earth videos and I'll laugh at you and then of course you'll laugh at me harder but guess what, I'll laugh back even harder. Careful when you step up to a stranger dude. I come in peace but if need be I can deliver one heck of a karate chop! Chip chop, choppity chip... chop... Don't get me started.

It you stand on a beach and look out to sea, the sea on the horizon clearly curves following the shape of the Earth.I'm all for having an open mind on some subjects but a flat Earth is a nonsense idea.

My processor is too slow and ram too small to really have gathered enough info, or my software is just corrupt

The earth is flat, but it is also not, it really depends on where and how you measure or what you compare it to.

Everything depends on how far your eye is to the surface you are observing.
Think of a piece of sandpaper if you stuck it rough side out, against a wall and walked 25 meters away from it, you would be able to see it, but wouldn't be able to tell the grade, it would be too far away to you to be able to discern the individual grains. However if you walked closer the detail would gradually emerge directly corresponding to the distance traveled towards the sandpaper.

To go further: you could also demonstrate this buy using one piece of sandpaper and one piece of flat card that is the same colour as the Sandpaper, stick them to the wall side by side and from 25 meters they will appear very similar in texture, but if you walked up to them you could see the difference between them.

The reason the Earth appears to be flat to us is because we are too close to observe the curvature (unless we are at sea as Ron said).

400 Grit Wet or Dry Sandpaper:
400_sheet_3.jpg

Example A:
kn-b1010-2b-1000_01.png

Example B:
images

It is not just distance that effects what we see, angle is just as important: the angle that we view something from can be the difference in the shape we see, for example a Pyramid and Square from certain angles appear to be the same shape, however they are completely different in reality:

0002.gif

The same is true of Spheres and Circles:

04.gif

If we travel far enough away from planet Earth we can see it is round:

nasa-earth-day-gallery-14.jpg

nasa-earth-day-gallery-8.jpg

nasa-earth-day-gallery-1.jpg

You can see that the Moon is a Sphere with the naked eye (It is round wherever you view it from Earth) and as was known long ago the Earth, Moon and the other planets orbit the Sun and they are all basically spherical in shape.

You can Sail around the Earth (circumnavigation) and you don't fall off the "Edge".

The flat Earth "theory" (if it even deserves to be called a theory) is just fantasy and cannot be supported by any rational thinker.

It is a fantastic mystery to me why anybody would believe the Earth is flat? but I suppose if you want to believe that it is up to you, my best advice would be if the person promoting "the flat Earth theory" is talking about things you are not familiar with, go and look up the information independently, but always ask these questions: if the Earth is flat why can we not fall off the Edge?, where is the Edge? why can we sail around the Globe? Why did and do the greatest thinkers believe that the world is round? why is it impossible to prove that the world is flat, yet it is possible to prove it is round?

Time is precious, use it wisely, there are many more worthy causes for effort and investigation.

*http://www.estesrockets.com/media/c...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/0/400_sheet_3.jpg

Example A: =

Premium Beverage Napkins - Black

LollicupStore | Bubble Tea, Disposables, Restaurant Supplies

Example B: =

Abrasive Paper Wet and Dry Sandpaper

Abrasive Paper Wet and Dry Sandpaper Grip 1000# 1500# 2000#

Attachments

• upload_2017-4-11_11-29-32.gif
    upload_2017-4-11_11-29-32.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
The earth is flat, but it is also not, it really depends on where and how you measure or what you compare it to.

Everything depends on how far your eye is to the surface you are observing.
Think of a piece of sandpaper if you stuck it rough side out, against a wall and walked 25 meters away from it, you would be able to see it, but wouldn't be able to tell the grade, it would be too far away to you to be able to discern the individual grains. However if you walked closer the detail would gradually emerge directly corresponding to the distance traveled towards the sandpaper.

To go further: you could also demonstrate this buy using one piece of sandpaper and one piece of flat card that is the same colour as the Sandpaper, stick them to the wall side by side and from 25 meters they will appear very similar in texture, but if you walked up to them you could see the difference between them.

The reason the Earth appears to be flat to us is because we are too close to observe the curvature (unless we are at sea as Ron said).

400 Grit Wet or Dry Sandpaper:
400_sheet_3.jpg

Example A:
kn-b1010-2b-1000_01.png

Example B:
images

It is not just distance that effects what we see, angle is just as important: the angle that we view something from can be the difference in the shape we see, for example a Pyramid and Square from certain angles appear to be the same shape, however they are completely different in reality:

0002.gif

The same is true of Spheres and Circles:

04.gif

If we travel far enough away from planet Earth we can see it is round:

You can see that the Moon is a Sphere with the naked eye (It is round wherever you view it from Earth) and as was known long ago the Earth, Moon and the other planets orbit the Sun and they are all basically spherical in shape.

You can Sail around the Earth (circumnavigation) and you don't fall off the "Edge".

The flat Earth "theory" (if it even deserves to be called a theory) is just fantasy and cannot be supported by any rational thinker.

It is a fantastic mystery to me why anybody would believe the Earth is flat? but I suppose if you want to believe that it is up to you, my best advice would be if the person promoting "the flat Earth theory" is talking about things you are not familiar with, go and look up the information independently, but always ask these questions: if the Earth is flat why can we not fall off the Edge?, where is the Edge? why can we sail around the Globe? Why did and do the greatest thinkers believe that the world is round? why is it impossible to prove that the world is flat, yet it is possible to prove it is round?

Time is precious, use it wisely, there are many more worthy causes for effort and investigation.

*http://www.estesrockets.com/media/c...b33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/4/0/400_sheet_3.jpg

Example A: =

Premium Beverage Napkins - Black

LollicupStore | Bubble Tea, Disposables, Restaurant Supplies

Example B: =

Abrasive Paper Wet and Dry Sandpaper

Abrasive Paper Wet and Dry Sandpaper Grip 1000# 1500# 2000#

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Have any of you seen any of Eric Dubay's videos?

Never mind the flat earth. I think that all human disease, emotional and physical, is caused by demons and pixies. The degree of the disease illustrates the power of the demon. Pixies usually just give us zits or hemorrhoids. But demons in the 20th and 21st century are focusing on cancer and heart diseases. They do this so they can suck up loosh, our negative emotions. The amount of negativity we express draws demons and pixies. I think Trump draws enough demons to man the entire 6th Fleet! So the next time you get a canker sore, it is a pixie having fun with you. Repeat: the medical theory of disease as caused by micro-organisms or poor life decisions or genetics is a conspiracy to hide from us the evil demon/pixie agenda. Beware the implications of a hangnail! Repeat to yourself "Pixie begone!" in a commanding FM radio voice! Tell those demons "Demons Depart!" IMPORTANT!!! THESE WORDS MUST BE SAID OUTLOUD IN PUBLIC.

These words only work if said in a public place, e.g., a supermarket, mall, movie theater, or at work holding hands with your boss. This is urgently needed because saying the word publicly embarrasses the demons and pixies, who will flee from the shame of being exposed and pulled on the carpet in public.

Please note that there is a special category of disease related to the human teeth. All teeth problems are caused by the Tooth Fairy and his minions.

Hey! I think Paracast should do a show about this! (sarcasm)

Last edited:
Just watch one and see what you think.

He's got many. I can look deeply in maybe one point if anyone wants to point one out they feel is absolutely (dis)provable It's just for me I wouldn't know what to believe either way on anything. With so much information and disinformation and no time to research it's hard to really say what's going on, for me at least.

Here's another good one where he explains his pov on our beloved aliens as they fit into the flat earth model:

Now stop being a bunch of know-it-alls. Unless of course you are at least where this subject is concerned and help me, one point at a time to see the absolute undeniable truth.

Brilliant scientific response. Unfortunately, the people silly enough to be attracted to the flat earth conspiracy are probably not able to understand it.

Just watch one and see what you think.

He's got many. I can look deeply in maybe one point if anyone wants to point one out they feel is absolutely (dis)provable It's just for me I wouldn't know what to believe either way on anything. With so much information and disinformation and no time to research it's hard to really say what's going on, for me at least.

Here's another good one where he explains his pov on our beloved aliens as they fit into the flat earth model:

Now stop being a bunch of know-it-alls. Unless of course you are at least where this subject is concerned and help me, one point at a time to see the absolute undeniable truth.
We have already given you bullet proof evidence that Earth is round. Your response is to present fringe videos from conspiracy mongers. Look, I don't care if you wish to believe something that was popular during the DARK AGES. I am not a scientist, but perhaps others will consider your absurd assertions worth the time to refute. Maybe you should take your beliefs to Alex Jones or Steve Quayle or some other person who makes a living spewing this nonsense.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Have any of you seen any of Eric Dubay's videos?

I was going to say I would watch one if you could assure me that he was not a creationist, but I just looked for myself:

The Atlantean Conspiracy: Ape-Men Never Existed!

This is from his own website.

and his IMDB entry* makes interesting reading with classics such as:

Dinosaurs Never Existed!

Dinosaurs Never Existed! (Video 2016) - IMDb

*Eric Dubay - IMDb

I am afraid that I cannot have any dealings with him or his "material".

Not everybody is aware but youtube pays people part of its advertising revenue generated by videos posted by users.

In other words: if I watch his videos I am contributing to a cause that I do not, and cannot morally condone.

If this makes me closed minded and prejudiced so be it.

Best wishes.

Wait a sec... He said no one's seen any dinosaur bones, that the Smithsonian claims they're hidden safe from the public but that no giant human bones were ever found which supposedly have been found! Smells fishy to me.

Back