• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What are UFO's/Flying Saucers/UAP Made of?

Just one more rant (for this thread :D ) and I will desist.

What has come to impress met the most about the UFO is its ability not only to cloak itself in real time. It has historically demonstrated the ability to keep itself smack in a thin margin between the imaginable and the tangible that can be realized by application of scientific method. And to boot, it seems to do this by means of controlling the processes by which we as individuals and societies traditionally validate or invalidate alleged phenomena. UFO encounters operate not only during the time they are experienced, but seem also to be intimately involved in subsequent attempts at investigation. This may happen days, weeks, or even years after a close encounter.

The thin margin: Whenever society is about to chuck the whole thing into the dust bin of human lunacy, the UFO again gets up into our collective faces to remind us it will not be dismissed. Recent examples of this are Rendlesham, the O'Hare airport sightings, and the so-called Phoenix lights. Recall Governor Symington's dreamy and belated on-camera statement describing his own encounter. Jim Penniston at first seems the epitome if the so-called credible witness. His account sounds straightforward and worthy of good evidence. Then decades after the event he drifts into his binary code scenario. What we thought was evidence is overshadowed by woo. The Trickster strikes again.

What human agencies might have the ability and motivation to construct this 70 year old hall of mirrors? Just because I cannot conceive of one does not mean it doesn't exist. But a nuts-and-bolts only, or human conspiracy only approach does not seem adequate.

What has come to impress met the most about the UFO is its ability not only to cloak itself in real time. It has historically demonstrated the ability to keep itself smack in a thin margin between the imaginable and the tangible that can be realized by application of scientific method. And to boot, it seems to do this by means of controlling the processes by which we as individuals and societies traditionally validate or invalidate alleged phenomena. UFO encounters operate not only during the time they are experienced, but seem also to be intimately involved in subsequent attempts at investigation. This may happen days, weeks, or even years after a close encounter.

The thin margin: Whenever society is about to chuck the whole thing into the dust bin of human lunacy, the UFO again gets up into our collective faces to remind us it will not be dismissed. Recent examples of this are Rendlesham, the O'Hare airport sightings, and the so-called Phoenix lights. Recall Governor Symington's dreamy and belated on-camera statement describing his own encounter. Jim Penniston at first seems the epitome if the so-called credible witness. His account sounds straightforward and worthy of good evidence. Then decades after the event he drifts into his binary code scenario. What we thought was evidence is overshadowed by woo. The Trickster strikes again.

What human agencies might have the ability and motivation to construct this 70 year old hall of mirrors? Just because I cannot conceive of one does not mean it doesn't exist. But a nuts-and-bolts only, or human conspiracy only approach does not seem adequate.

Great post with some tasty food for thought. By all means more rants and less desisting please! You've identified three key components in the three key areas, active camouflage in the area of technology, the cultural impact, including desensitization by the media, and the shadowy control systems that contribute to cover-ups and conspiracies, all wrapped up in a nice neat package. Well done! Ultimately the bigger picture that it creates in my mind still comes out looking like high tech aliens of some kind, the hard evidence for which is being withheld by the PTB ( powers that be ) on both sides of the equation.

How might this tie in with our thread's theme? I would suggest that the active camouflage system of UFOs ( alien craft ), must employ light detectors and emitters because cloaking, decloaking, and morphing are all connected to visual perception, which is dependent on light stimulus for operation. I speculate that these detectors and emitters are built into the skin of the craft and are combined with sophisticated processors, and that the result is a combination of 2D and 3D ( holographic ) imagery that renders the craft nearly invisible to the unaided eye. It could conceivably also explain why some UFO reports include different visual descriptions of the same object.

Last edited:
I have heard about altercations between UFO's* and Fighter Planes and Pilots, but does any body know whether an AA Battery,SAM site or other kind of Anti Aircraft system has engaged and Fired at a UFO?

*as in flying saucer/UAP

OK I am not making this up: I posted my question (above) I check my alerts, go to another thread, decide to read the article Sentry posted, hey presto! :

"The incident was overshadowed by the hyperbolically titled “Battle of Los Angeles,” when U.S. shore batteries actually opened fire on unknown aircraft shadowing southern California in February 1942.
"* :eek:

Probably just coincidence ;)

*source: Panning for history's gold

For the benefit of those who don't already know, the picture above is of the Bob White artifact, rather convincingly debunked here: http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/11-10-12/
yeah i like to litter the forum with that little item over and over again as it repeatedly is used as an example of ejected UFO fuel given its beautiful design as opposed to what it really is. when i first encountered it, and similar stories of these objects being found on the ground after being ejected from UFO's, it really sent me on a search for an answer. it's a good one to pursue. my machinist neighbour was familiar with this by-product. funny how something common can cause such a commotion. it seems to me that there are many elements of the UFO phenomena and other mysteries that have some roots in unknown yet common or mundane origins.

as if you ever rant. it's always well reasoned and insightful commentary that we should come back to over again as your id implies. this specific discussion seems to capture the dominant features as ufology listed them. but i feel that the cultural impact is the one to ferret out a little more. The camouflage, shape-shifting and sensory confusion & control make this phenomena much more than what it appears to be. everyone should read your synopsis again. it's that specifically insightful. i think this type of thinking about its characteristics may take us into deeper waters that might help us see things a little more clearly than holding to "ET visits/probes the earth in solid craft" which seems to be more for appearance's sake than anything else. Thanks Han for starting this one off as it's getting very quickly to the big conundrums.

These UFO's do seem to occupy, as what Jerome Clark calls it, a liminal zone, much like paranormal phenomenon (i like to keep UFO's out of the paranormal basket as they are special). He says that some of these experiences live only in witness testimony and what lives there suffers from the manipulation of the media over time as well as manipulation by conspiratorial powers who would use this phenomenon for their own obfuscations. These are the intangible cases with little that we can do but assemble, catalogue, seek patterns and interpret, but this is mostly guesswork.

There are also the hardcore cases (again Clark language) that more specifically insist on a tangible presence in our world. Are they part of the same UFO narrative as the many witness cases or is this something else altogether?

I really like how you identify that the UFO encounter continues long after the initial sighting and experience, specifically i find it is contained inside the witness mind, or is externalized in other tangible/intangible ways. Their impact is profound. This for me is the cultural impact. Is the individual not compelled to share their story, to repeat what they have seen and in turn alter the broader culture?It has religious overtones, or at least becomes Jungian in its patterns that seem to affect us and the broader society in a psychological manner that we have yet to fully comprehend. It's as if we are being dabbled with or parts of human trajectory are being dabbled with for reasons unknown.

It does reassert itself over and over again, but this is hard to understand as we also are not certain how many of these large cases and public events are creations of human agency or unknown origins. Regardless, the notion that a very advanced species would need to send down lifeforms, or robotic humanoids to test soil, water or sample our cell structure is simply not reasonable. Given the technology that is on display here there is obviously a capacity to do such things in very unobtrusive manners (though they may simply not care) but more importantly in a manner that requires much less expenditure of resources. It's like a show being put on for our small minds as it's the thing we can understand - here, have a pancake says the alien.

There's something else underway here that is using a narrative we can go along with and it's not human, but i'm not sure it's from other planets. I think they are from an outer space that really is out there as our own sense of perception and understanding seems to be the subject of discourse in these events. In this way, there is a technology going on that is way beyond anything we could possibly hope to understand at this stage of our own human development.

Last edited:
And the object's that turn up in infra-red, and other spectra invisible to the human eye, but perceptible by other sense's.
It seems like the video is showing some kind of UAP, but I suspect that it's something natural. If it's not natural it could be something as simple as an aircraft or balloon. Or for all I know about video, maybe it's some kind of video effect. Interesting, but nothing to get too excited about. What we need are up close clear images of the same object from multiple independent sources, and that doesn't seem likely.

It seems like the video is showing some kind of UAP, but I suspect that it's something natural. If it's not natural it could be something as simple as an aircraft or balloon. Or for all I know about video, maybe it's some kind of video effect. Interesting, but nothing to get too excited about. What we need are up close clear images of the same object from multiple independent sources, and that doesn't seem likely.
i'll be honest, i get very suspicious of produced youtube videos, with the music and the drama of it all. anyone who is capturing numerous videos in a consistent manner is using magic of some kind. by this i mean there is trickery involved as it is no longer a rare phenomena now, but something that we are able to capture over and over again like fireflies in a jar.
fireflies-in-a-jar.jpg
and you know how much we like to look at those. there is almost a wonderful script or dance that the two gentlemen go through. "Lazlo, Lazlo, it's getting away!" as the keyboards rise. in their recounting of the experience chasing the light across the sky that at one point the cameraman says, "look it's spinning," not that you (or he) could possibly tell that from the video we are seeing as he zooms in and out of the tiny point to give it more size and obfuscation? why do these videos always do that when the cameraman knows he's stretched the resolution due to the size of that small bit of light. the recycling of their video for UFO-like-our-page-give-us-hits-channels are not anything i can give any conviction over.

i'd be curious to know if they have simultaneous footage - not that you'd know without having the two cameras mounted together, showing colour imagery alongside the infra-red work? and if they capture these things so damn often, isn't it about time to get a damn tripod?! just sayin'

Last edited:
Well, from some sightings I've seen (at least in these) I would say its plasma. How these ethereal things could some how have intelligent control and what I would call a surveillance capability is strange indeed. Drones from another dimension? I don't know but pretty bizarre.

Back