• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

what age do abductions start?

As a child, I would have dreams about it. As an adult, I am trying to not be such a chickenshit so I can overpower them, and take their ship.

thanks. I know next to nothing about this phenomenon as it, until recently, has not really held my interests. A couple my wife and I hang out with often where relating a series of stories that has happened recently involving their son. Like most nights we get together talk of the kids is bound to happen. The story started off with them warning us that their son is now into the "nightmare phase". He is a bit older than our son so it is a good barometer of what to expect.

Anyway, they say it started off one day the boy was taking a nap and his mom fell asleep on the couch. She was startled awake by the sound of an interior door opening in the hallway. Her son sleeps in a twin bed and has never (before or since) crwaled out of bed. He usually calls for her to come and get him. As she is getting off the couch and worrying about what is in the hall, her son comes around the corner. He is still very sleepy and says "I dont want to go. I want you to come with me next time". She asks him "go where?" and he points up.

Now I know the boy was asleep and it was probably a dream. Yet it didn't stop there. He now will wake up in the night crying uncontrollably and just as quick will fall back asleep. Often he asks for a drink of water and just downs a full glass. Another weird thing is that he hates to look at anything that focuses on an animals eyes. Especially cats eyes. They say that this just started a day or so after the fist incident. In all, it has been about 3 weeks.

I know it is probably just a phase but I still cant help but feel really creeped out about it. If someone has any insight I would love to know. I am being "that paranoid whacko guy" for thinking that is might be something more, right?

Some of my family, myself included, have had experiences since we were children. At least one was being tampered with while still in the crib.

i dont identify as an abductee, though its possible i may be. the jury is still out.
but my memorys go back a long way, i can actually remember crawling, my parents didnt believe it was possible until i was able to describe features of the house including the couple who lived in the flat above.
i would have been no older than two in that house.

ive always "known" ufos were real, always
i remember arguments with fundamentalist christian grownups about the topic from as far back as four years old, and was sent to the headmasters office when i was five (first year in school) for suggesting that jesus was an alien, and used a jet pack or similar technology to "walk on water".
of course the entire school sang "god" save new zealand at assembly, followed by "god" save the queen, so as you can imagine my ideas went down quicker than a two dollar.... lead ballon.

at a recent UFO exibition, i saw a multimedia installation by someone who identifys as an abductee and their experiences started at around 5, but i have to say the "piece" also gave me the impression the artist/exhibitor was crackers........

At what age do abductions tend to start?

In C.D.B. Bryans book, Close Encounters of the Fourth Kind: Alien Abduction, UFOs and the Conference at M.I.T (1991, Dr Thomas (Eddie) Bullard discusses this. Having studied some 300 cases provided by Hopkins, Jacobs, Mack (and others IIRC), he found a trend that indicated the encounters tended to occur between the ages of 5-7 or so, again at the ages of 14-18, a few in the twenties and then dramatically tapering off.

It's impossible (IMO) to obtain any hard data prior to age 5 for obvious reasons, but it's also postulated that the phenomenon may run in some families. In these cases, I suspect it's quite possible that encounters may occur even earlier than what Bullard noted.

Anyway, they say it started off one day the boy was taking a nap and his mom fell asleep on the couch. She was startled awake by the sound of an interior door opening in the hallway. Her son sleeps in a twin bed and has never (before or since) crwaled out of bed. He usually calls for her to come and get him. As she is getting off the couch and worrying about what is in the hall, her son comes around the corner. He is still very sleepy and says "I dont want to go. I want you to come with me next time". She asks him "go where?" and he points up.

Now I know the boy was asleep and it was probably a dream. Yet it didn't stop there. He now will wake up in the night crying uncontrollably and just as quick will fall back asleep. Often he asks for a drink of water and just downs a full glass. Another weird thing is that he hates to look at anything that focuses on an animals eyes. Especially cats eyes. They say that this just started a day or so after the fist incident. In all, it has been about 3 weeks.

I know it is probably just a phase but I still cant help but feel really creeped out about it. If someone has any insight I would love to know. I am being "that paranoid whacko guy" for thinking that is might be something more, right?

Alot of what you wrote is very similar to some things that I have experienced but not spoken of to anyone.

As a child my mother would often awake to sounds of me (starting around age 5) entering the house at 3 or 4 in the morning. Once she asked me "where have you been?" and I muttered something about taking out the trash. I was always waking up with leaves, twigs and grass in the bed, often with new scratches and and scrapes. It could have been sleepwalking, for all I know.

As a child I used to have dreams of flying. Not flying with my arms spread like wings, but leaning backwards and flying straight up into the air.

With regard to animal eyes, the only ones that really freak me out (and I'm 41) are Lemur eyes. Especially when the Lemurs are standing upright or jumping in unison. That gives me shivers just thinking about it.

I don't claim to have been abducted but neither will I say I haven't been. There's some other experiences I've had that I may discuss later, or I might not as I'm not entirely comfortable with them yet.

I just wouldn't be so quick to label the experiences of this child as "abductions" so quickly. It could be vivid dreams, or something of the sort.

Well depending on you beliefs , the first recorded UFO abduction can be found in the holy bible "THE BOOK OF THE PROPHET EZEKIEL" its open to interpentation.The movie "The Knowing" was inspired by it .
I'm not religious but its a pretty interesting read , i'd recommend it to anyone .

The psychological issues (very normal issues) that lead people to think that they are abducted can start at any time. I've been having sleep paralysis for years. I actually had a vivid nightmare last night - my wife saved me!

The psychological issues (very normal issues) that lead people to think that they are abducted can start at any time. I've been having sleep paralysis for years. I actually had a vivid nightmare last night - my wife saved me!

Angel, not every abduction case starts with being asleep in the bedroom. :)

I didn't say sleep paralysis explains all of them. Others can be explained by false memories, childhood abuse, over-zealous therapists leading the patient, hoaxers. There are no cases that can not be explained in these terms.
Until someone comes back with true knowledge of something unknown to humans, or an artifact of some kind, there's nothing that proves to me they are occurring. I agree with Michio Kaku, one of the few mainstream scientists that thinks it's possible that aliens are visiting us (I can't say I totally agree with him on that), he says that if abductees want us to believe them they should grab something. I'm not saying I'm right, but it makes the most sense to me that abductions are not real. They are all in the abductee's head. However, if there's a case where there's hard evidence, please show it to me - and I'm not talking about implants - that's garbage as well. None of the examined implants have shown to be made of anything that is not available on Earth.

Watch what Kaku says around 7:16:

I didn't say sleep paralysis explains all of them. Others can be explained by false memories, childhood abuse, over-zealous therapists leading the patient, hoaxers. There are no cases that can not be explained in these terms.
Until someone comes back with true knowledge of something unknown to humans, or an artifact of some kind, there's nothing that proves to me they are occurring. I agree with Michio Kaku, one of the few mainstream scientists that thinks it's possible that aliens are visiting us (I can't say I totally agree with him on that), he says that if abductees want us to believe them they should grab something. I'm not saying I'm right, but it makes the most sense to me that abductions are not real. They are all in the abductee's head. However, if there's a case where there's hard evidence, please show it to me - and I'm not talking about implants - that's garbage as well. None of the examined implants have shown to be made of anything that is not available on Earth.

Watch what Kaku says around 7:16:

Yeah, all of that was a longer way of saying, "UFO abductions can not happen because the idea sounds ridiculous. The very way it sounds is proof of its impossibility." But anyway, the cases that CANNOT fit into any of the ready-made boxes you described are Betty and Barney Hill, Allagash, Pascagoula, and Kelly Cahill. I've spent 15 years turning these cases over and over in my mind. The explanations don't fit, any of them. Every seemingly "plausible" conclusion I've tried with them has some detail defiantly blocking it, making it unworkable. Of course, the debunkers don't care about that. When they run into some pesky detail acting as a roadblock they'll just throw it in the trashcan and pretend it had never been there in the first place. But I refuse to do that because unlike a debunker with an emotional ax to grind and/or a "sensible" worldview to defend I genuinely want to figure the shit out. Whether you like it or not with those four cases there is no explanation except for two: The witnesses are lying (Unlikely imo but possible. Scoffers never want to conclude this for whatever odd reason. They'd rather dream up elaborate and often silly scenarios) or the events happened as they say they did.

The witnesses are lying (Unlikely imo but possible. Scoffers never want to conclude this for whatever odd reason. They'd rather dream up elaborate and often silly scenarios) or the events happened as they say they did.

Or some other explanation entirely that does not involve aliens abducting someone. Regardless of what they say, there is no actual physical proof that they were abducted by aliens. Show me that and you will convince me otherwise.

Or some other explanation entirely that does not involve aliens abducting someone. Regardless of what they say, there is no actual physical proof that they were abducted by aliens. Show me that and you will convince me otherwise.

Never said there was physical proof. If there was we would have the benefit of not having to think about it at all. The point is that every explanation offered so far for these incidents (Except, as I pointed out before, outright lying) is EASILY discountable. And I don't know about others but I've never asked you to accept that alien abductions are a certain fact. The only point I've tried to make is that a handful of unexplainable cases make it a possibility.

Never said there was physical proof. If there was we would have the benefit of not having to think about it at all. The point is that every explanation offered so far for these incidents (Except, as I pointed out before, outright lying) is EASILY discountable. And I don't know about others but I've never asked you to accept that alien abductions are a certain fact. The only point I've tried to make is that a handful of unexplainable cases make it a possibility.

Sure, I can accept that point of view. For the record though - I do not for a second think that anyone on this planet has been abducted by aliens. Once it's proven though, you can tell me "I told you so!"

Sure, I can accept that point of view. For the record though - I do not for a second think that anyone on this planet has been abducted by aliens. Once it's proven though, you can tell me "I told you so!"

I very much doubt it will ever be "proven." We lack the ability to prove it. Science was designed to study bacteria, plastic, molecules, grass...i.e.: things that lack the ability to intelligently avoid study. In other words, if you want to look at a mushroom under a microscope you can. It has no ability to crawl away nor is it even aware that it is being studied. The UFO enigma falls outside the scope of science. It's an investigative problem. Perry Mason is needed, not Poindexter the scientist. If Perry is successful THEN Poindexter can take over. But sadly, I don't think Perry is up to the task.

I very much doubt it will ever be "proven." We lack the ability to prove it. Science was designed to study bacteria, plastic, molecules, grass...i.e.: things that lack the ability to intelligently avoid study. In other words, if you want to look at a mushroom under a microscope you can. It has no ability to crawl away nor is it even aware that it is being studied. The UFO enigma falls outside the scope of science. It's an investigative problem. Perry Mason is needed, not Poindexter the scientist. If Perry is successful THEN Poindexter can take over. But sadly, I don't think Perry is up to the task.

Abductions can be believe or not . Its your choice to listen to others or not! ;)Abductions are similar to so called religious appearances , life after death experiences, parrnell universes, other life outside our universe . Remember humanity /Science thought the Earth was flat at one stage!

Back