• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

What About a Special Smartphone Version of This Forum?

Would You Pay $2.99 to See a Special Version of this Forum on the iPhone

• Yes

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 42.3%
  • The free version of Tapatalk is OK, even though I can read, but not post!

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • I wouldn't buy an iPhone if they paid me!

Votes: 6 23.1%

• Total voters

Gene Steinberg

Forum Super Hero
Staff member
We've been looking for ways to improve access for these forums on a smartphone, such as the iPhone. One method we tried looked perfectly awful, so we dumped it.

There's another, Tapatalk.

It looks really nice on the iPhone, and also works on phones using Google's Android OS and the RIM Blackberry. But the iPhone version will cost you $2.99 from the App Store, and there are no refunds.

The question is whether enough of you care to want to invest that small amount to try it. We'll do what we can to make it look good and work as efficiently as possible, but I don't like the idea of charging for the ability to view our regular forums.

Please cast your vote.

Update: In examining this situation further, there appears to be a free version of Tapatalk for the iPhone. But you are not able to post a regular message or a Private Message — it's read only. But for those of you who don't want to pay, at least you can keep abreast of messages and bookmark them for later responses.

I've modified the poll accordingly.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

The following information comes from the publisher of this application:

Tapatalk is a mobile forum app for iPhone / Android and soon to be on Blackberry and Nokia. Tapatalk supports vBulletin (3.x and 4.x) and phpBB forums and forum owner can activate this service for free. Tapatalk supports all the usual forum functions plus full screen image viewing, image upload, caching (less reload), private messaging, all these features are accessible in just a few simple taps.

Tapatalk for iPhone:
Showing New and Unread Posts:

IMG_0036.png

Full Thread Viewing and Pagination Support:

IMG_0037.png

See Who's Online:

IMG_0038.png

Reply to Post and Image Upload:

IMG_0041.png

Some of the large forums activated Tapatalk support

IMG_0042.png

Tapatalk for Android

Total Android Look and Feel

main.png

Same feature set as iPhone:

threadmenu.png

Quickly Reply to a conversation:

thread_bottom_menu.png

Latest and Unread Posts indicator and multi-tabs support:

latest-v.png

Full screen image support - support landscape mode also

imageview.png

Check out Tapatalk - iPhone Android Nokia forum app for vBulletin and phpBB for more information!

---------- Post added at 01:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

Here's an update:

I set up the free version of Tapatalk on my iPhone. Our forum looks just great — really! So I'm inclined to recommend this approach, but I see there appears to be no way to flag a message for a later response, other than, perhaps, to Subscribe to a thread for later review on your regular computer, where you can post a response.

I'll leave it up to you to decide if it's worth the download and, perhaps, the additional $2.99 to be able to post responses.

There's also some other great forums to read on there should you get bored of this one. I particularly like the Pro Power Wash Forum for its excellent information regarding breakthroughs in squirting water technology. I think I'll go and tell my wife all about what I learned there so that we can both sleep well tonight.

yeah, an iphone/ipod touch app would be handy.

Well, Tapatalk is here now, and it works decently. The downside is that, if you actually want to post rather than just lurk, you have to buy the $2.99 version for the iPhone (the "lurk" version is free). It also appears to be free for other platforms. On the other hand, that $2.99 is a one-time fee that includes ALL the forums supported by the app, and that number is in the thousands I understand.

Yeah, I think I'll lurk while on my phone, but then post when I come back home to my pc . Loved the recent show btw Gene. Chris was excellent.

Back