• NEW! LOWEST RATES EVER -- SUPPORT THE SHOW AND ENJOY THE VERY BEST PREMIUM PARACAST EXPERIENCE! Welcome to The Paracast+, eight years young! For a low subscription fee, you can download the ad-free version of The Paracast and the exclusive, member-only, After The Paracast bonus podcast, featuring color commentary, exclusive interviews, the continuation of interviews that began on the main episode of The Paracast. We also offer lifetime memberships! Flash! Take advantage of our lowest rates ever! Act now! It's easier than ever to susbcribe! You can sign up right here!

Subscribe to The Paracast Newsletter!

Wendigo, Skinwalker recordings. Please give your opinion.

Free episodes:

sallylizzy

Paranormal Novice
Have been listening to a little Clyde Lewis and he had a show on wendigo's last night and he claimed he camped out at skinwalker ranch and made a recording of what he believed to be a skinwalker. it's here about 25min. in or so. I think this guy has got to be about the biggest clown I've ever heard. Anyone have an opinion on this guy??
'Man Beast: The Mark Of The Wendigo' w/ Roan Winterhawk and Sylvia Minthorn - January 22, 2013

Last week, I stumbled over a reading of Algernon Blackwood's The Wendigo while looking for good podcasts to listen to. I've never known much about this myth other than that it was of American Indian origin and involved cannibalism, so it came as something of a surprise to hear that it seems more like something out of ancient greek myth, like a minotaur or satyr. A spirit/monster probably symbolizing the forces of nature.

So no, it don't think they are mostly just described as a person with cannibalistic tendencies and I don't see why they should sound human. No idea how many details were made up by Blackwood, but "his" Wendigo sounds more like roaring wind or water and it's not human, just humanoid but huge and beastlike. Blackwood makes no mention of cannibalism, but that probably wouldn't have been a topic he could write about at the time. Besides, a non-human mythical beast eating humans wouldn't be committing cannibalism at all. I think the speculation is that the Wendigo stories were made up by the indians to show cannibalism as being evil so their tribesmen wouldn't resort to it during famine, and that might be why in modern times, the Wendigo became associated with these atrocities.

While looking up some details, I found that the Wendigo is often depicted as a humanoid with antlers (examples 1 2). Which brought me to something else entirely.

I can relate! This description sounds similar to the two conscious close proximity experiences in my life. The first was the visitation experience I had at age 6 or 7 (1964) of a group of non-human appearing entities that seemed to glide along and move in unison "like cattails in a breeze." The second was when a weird antler-adorned humanoid form appeared to glide across my greenhouse windows at dusk, from left-to-right, ten feet from me—outside my house in CO (1999).

Descriptions of entities exhibiting a "gliding" motion intrigue me and I intuit that this sinuous motion may be somehow diagnostic (?) in nature.

I guess to american paracasters, the connotations were kind of obvious (because of the native american background) but I never really knew why this description should be pointing to something like the Skinwalker or the Wendigo. It was definitely one of the stranger and scarier sighting reports I've ever heard of. And just now, while digging up some stuff about the Wendigo, I came upon a sentence on this site
In one variation of the story, the creature could only be seen if it faced the witness head-on, because it was so thin that it could not be seen from the side.

...which of course would mean that the creature described in that "variation of the story" would have to be two-dimensional. Which I guess is also a good description of the first sighting mentioned above, the "sheet-thin" beings. Plus, the gliding movement of the "Wendigo" (?) outside of Chris's window could also mean that this was more like a 2D image, like some form of display.

EDIT: if Chris ever gets to read this, I'd really like to know how you ever managed to leave that place again. I would have been scared out of my wits.

its something that could give creedence ( spl ? ) to the theory that proposes a projection or hologram being employed. of course most people insist in these encounters that there is definite substance to the entity and perhaps there is,but an artfully employed projection by somone or something could fool anyone. I could see where when encountered, all of a sudden such rationalization would probably be absent. its being interfered with your adrenaline rush.

of course that wouldn't explain the apparent physical evidence.

Well Wade, maybe that's what the mib are for, to plant such evidence to be found later on.

Before you guys dismiss such a notion, take notice that this conversation is taking place in the conspiracy theory subforum.

Didn't David Biedny's Florida apparition glide too? It is something we hear of quite a lot in the field.
The gliding motion would be part of most alleged apparition sightings, I guess.

But I don't think I've heard something like "it looked two-dimensional" in other reports. Maybe due to the high strangeness factor. People might omit it because it sounds too strange.

That's why I would really like to know, what the source of the "other version of the story" in the "Ghosts of the Prairie" link in my last post is and if there are other descriptions like that, maybe even really old ones. Guess I'll be googling some more.

Thanks for the link, spooky. I just noticed we are in the conspiracies subforum and - lo and behold - there is something very strange about this whole thread. When I'm not logged in to the forums, I get a wholly different first post, which seems to be missing when I'm logged in...

EDIT: I guess I know what's going on. The thread opener has probably been banned or something (EDIT: nope, I had put him on Ignore and totally forgotten about that :rolleyes: ). I was wondering why I didn't get any nasty, subversive threads from him or her lately.

Dang. I wanted to make an own "Wendigo" thread first, but then I decided to do a search, in case somebody had done something like that before. So I ended up here. Maybe someone of the upper echelon could move the thread to, like, the cryptozoologial section (I guess we have no "mythological creatures" one)? And possibly rename it just "The Wendigo" (because I guess there's already threads about the Skinwalker)?

its something that could give creedence ( spl ? ) to the theory that proposes a projection or hologram being employed. of course most people insist in these encounters that there is definite substance to the entity and perhaps there is,but an artfully employed projection by somone or something could fool anyone. I could see where when encountered, all of a sudden such rationalization would probably be absent. its being interfered with your adrenaline rush.

'credence' - I never jump in and correct people's spelling but since you pointed it out....;)

Just been listening and I just heard that the the main character is from Aberdeen, Scotland - where I am from and am right now. Cool.;)

It's very well written and narrated - perfect bedtime podcast material.

I'm afraid Blackwood's a bit long-winded and "inner monologue-ish" at times, so it might happen that you fall asleep.:)

Ah but Polter, that is the point. When I cannot sleep, I listen to a podcast that I really really want to hear all the way to the end. Because I wish to hear it all the way through, my brain inevitably decides to drop off to sleep long before that happens! It really works. If the podcast isn't interesting and I don't care about finishing it, that's when I actually get to hear the end.:D

I have finished listening to 'The Wendigo' and I can safely say that I really enjoyed it. I won't spoil it for anyone yet to listen. My only negative comment I suppose is that it is overly long considering the 'amount' of plot needing to be covered. A good enough listen when you have some peace and quiet, which is why I listened whilst in bed.

Thanks for posting links Polter.:D

Back